THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 07:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trivia OF DOOM  (Read 10247 times)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Trivia OF DOOM
« on: 18 Feb 2005, 17:51 »

Okay, the guy who runs the Guitar Club at our school gives us trivia most every week. There is a problem, however. They are very difficult, any help would be appreciated!

What did Chet Atkins use for guitar strings when he was younger?

What is the name of the current Metallica sound-alike band?

Name the commercial with a song from the occult group The Sonics (hint: The Sonics were a garage band from the early 60's that were quite influential).

Happy hunting!
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

czar0406

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #1 on: 18 Feb 2005, 18:08 »

sounds like you want us to do your homework for you.  

cheaters never win.  but cheaters are always more fun to hang out with.

Chet Atkins
near the end of the second paragraph.

The Sonics

as far as the Metallica question...dude, thats open for discussion, there are like a gagillion bands out there that sound like them.  but in my opinion i would just say Godsmack.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #2 on: 18 Feb 2005, 18:21 »

Good lord, how did you figure that out so fast?

Also, I be no cheater, my friends ask their art teacher because he's cool like that. I merely expand my asking range to people that are cool like you. :)
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

czar0406

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #3 on: 18 Feb 2005, 18:23 »

Google.  end all...be all...fucking...use it.

and your welcome.

Praeserpium Machinarum

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #4 on: 18 Feb 2005, 23:46 »

I might be wrong, but I don't think its Godsmack, as far as I have understood it they`re rip off Alice in Chains and even named themselves after one of their songs.

El Opium

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #5 on: 19 Feb 2005, 01:30 »

This would seem like something to ask the people on the sonic youth board.

ASturge

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #6 on: 19 Feb 2005, 04:30 »

the sonics, not sonic youth.

im sure they used "money, thats what i want" in a commercial....for something

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #7 on: 19 Feb 2005, 09:04 »

I'm pretty sure of the first 2 are right, they look pretty good. As for the Metallica sound-alike one, I have no clue. Ah well, I'm gonna keep looking for the last one. Just in case

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:10 »

I hereby ressurect this topic for newer, harder trivia. I'm looking, and I'll update everyone if I find anything, but the new question is...

What is the first riff that Steve Vai claims to have learned for the guitar?

Happy hunting!

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2005, 12:57 »

Quote from: czar0406
as far as the Metallica question...dude, thats open for discussion, there are like a gagillion bands out there that sound like them.  but in my opinion i would just say Godsmack.

Google agrees.  An I'm Feeling Lucky search for "metallica sound-alike" brings up a Godsmack review.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Tago Mago

• Larger than most fish
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2005, 13:01 »

He could be talking about Beatallica.

Robbo

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2005, 13:11 »

Not really a sound alike though. And there are hundreds of generic Thrash bands out there.

blindsuperhero

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #12 on: 26 Apr 2005, 15:58 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
I hereby ressurect this topic for newer, harder trivia. I'm looking, and I'll update everyone if I find anything, but the new question is...

What is the first riff that Steve Vai claims to have learned for the guitar?

Happy hunting!

I've heard this before, but I don't remember. Something really lame.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2005, 12:51 »

The Metallica one was Trivium. I'm verywise open to the new one though, back to the search for me. :)

Robbo

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2005, 12:56 »

What the hell? Trivium are a crappy (not just average, down right crappy) Metalcore band. Even through their lead singer is also in Capharnaum.

Must just be because they're on Roadrunner.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #15 on: 27 Apr 2005, 16:48 »

I'VE FOUND IT! 'Twas Aquaung by Jethro Tull.

Spencer

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2005, 18:06 »

No it wasn't.

It was "Smoke on the Water"

I know this, because Smoke on the Water is the first riff *every single guitarp player ever* learns. You can't argue with science.

Jolouie

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #17 on: 01 May 2005, 17:36 »

Quote from: Spencer
No it wasn't.

I know this, because Smoke on the Water is the first riff *every single guitarp player ever* learns. You can't argue with science.

Untrue. Even though it was the first one I learned, what about those Nirvana-folk?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #18 on: 01 May 2005, 17:44 »

And the people who played gee tar before Smoke on the Water? or the guys who wrote Smoke on the Water? A HA!

I actually learned House of the Rising Sun first, but meh.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #19 on: 01 May 2005, 20:09 »

"Seven Nation Army" is becoming a popular one too.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #20 on: 02 May 2005, 03:45 »

Smoke on the water was the first riff I learnt.

But the first song I learnt was Mayhem - Deathcrush.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #21 on: 02 May 2005, 18:20 »

The first thing that I learned, and am still working on is "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream. I've got it to a point of general suckyness up until the solo (where i've no clue, i need to get that song). I also like learning new chords. That fills me with a magical kind of glee for some reason.

No it wasn't.

That's what i said when I first heard it as well, though. Almost down to the word.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #22 on: 02 May 2005, 19:18 »

I learned the Have Love, Will Travel thing first.

Smoke on the Water was SECOND, thank you very much.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Stevo

Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #23 on: 02 May 2005, 19:29 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
The first thing that I learned, and am still working on is "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream. I've got it to a point of general suckyness up until the solo (where i've no clue, i need to get that song). I also like learning new chords. That fills me with a magical kind of glee for some reason.

That's so weird, that song just came on as I was reading this.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #24 on: 04 May 2005, 19:03 »

It's because I am god. Yes, bow to me.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Trivia OF DOOM
« Reply #25 on: 04 May 2005, 20:25 »

i think that the first one i learned was something by Run DMC. i was over at a friend's place, he had a guitar & we had Run DMC on.  i was maybe what, 9, 10?  hehe.

if we're talking about first riffs/songs that we learned when we actually started playing the guitar then mine is probably "knocking on heaven's door".  to this day the first thing i do when i pick up a guitar is test if it's in-tune by playing an open G chord.
Pages: [1]   Go Up