Mix Tape Trade

Yea
- 24 (100%)
Nay
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: 08 May 2005, 17:49

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix Tape Trades  (Read 35898 times)

Revenge_Therapist

Mix Tape Trades
« on: 05 May 2005, 17:49 »

I want some feedback on this. It was done over on Punk Planet's boards and I wouldn't mind seeing it here. Everyone posts their mix tape listings. Then all of the eligable participants and paired up (via random chance) and then notified who their match is, and then they can PM mailing info back and forth. What do you guys think? Voting closes Monday.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2005, 19:23 »

I enjoy the concept, just wonderin' about legalities.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Willis

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #2 on: 05 May 2005, 19:31 »

Legalities?  I'm surrounded by bunches of law students, I"m sure I could ask one of them, but they're scary.  But really, if you're using songs from your own collection on a mixtape for someone else and not making money off it....I don't see the problem.  

As for the cocept, yeah I guess I'd be game.  I'm not involved in mixtape trading at all so I'll ask some dumb questions.  Do people still actually trade tapes? or is the term the same, while people trade CDs?  Also, I think it would be cool if we were just assigned someone random without seeing their list.  Then we could get a random goodness without knowing what is on it beforehand.  Kinda like a QC secret-santa dealy-o.

~~Willis

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2005, 19:37 »

Or Secret Satan, given the musical proclivities of some of the forumites here . . .

Willis

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2005, 19:44 »

My luck KharBevNor will have me and I'll try in my vainest attempt to get through 15 death metal songs.  Of course I'm sure whoever gets me will be saying "what is this shite" to half the stuff on what i make up.  But thats the whole point of stuff like this -- to get exposed to stuff you wouldn't necessarily listen to.

~~Willis

Revenge_Therapist

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2005, 20:10 »

Well, you could also pick and choose. I think we could all have one or two that we object to getting.

Mnementh

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2005, 20:17 »

I did this on another forum (mix tapes are for no, mix cd's are much easier), and it worked out pretty well, it's a good way to get some exposure to new music.  The biggest problem is everyone getting their lazy asses to the post office.

To make it interesting you can do a theme, such as "Songs beginning with the letter 'L.'"

Anyway, I don't know what the legality of this is either.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2005, 21:03 »

Quote from: Willis
My luck KharBevNor will have me and I'll try in my vainest attempt to get through 15 death metal songs.  Of course I'm sure whoever gets me will be saying "what is this shite" to half the stuff on what i make up.  But thats the whole point of stuff like this -- to get exposed to stuff you wouldn't necessarily listen to.

Sheesh, I don't even like death metal that much.

Sounds pretty cool though. I personally trade CDs as well as individual tracks over MSN with my best mate
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

El Opium

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2005, 21:27 »

I'd be interested in doing this. I've a got tons of old mailing evelopes and blank CD-Rs lying around. Don't know how much someone else would like a mix by me as it would probably be rather experimental in an artsy kind of way. how would we handle people being on different sides of the pond?

Marauder

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2005, 21:29 »

Looks like you have full support, thus far.

Freezey

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2005, 21:30 »

speaking of mixtapes, does anyone have any tricks to getting a good (or at least decent) quality of recording? The only thing I've gotton a good recording from was cranking my computer speakers way up and using the only thing I have to record cassettes (an old childrens radio shack tape player); and I can only do that without threat of death from the other people in this house on Mondays for about thirty minutes.

I'd normally just use cd's, but my alarm clock only does radio or cassette. The college station plays this awesome jazz show on thursday mornings which works like a charm, but on days like tuesday it's just talk radio that won't wake me at all.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2005, 21:58 »

@Freezey: Don't you have a stereo system with both CD and cassette? If so, most of them can record straight from the CD just by pressing the record button whilst on CD mode then playing the CD. Some even start the CD for you when you press record.

I'd imagine a similiar thing could be done by using audio-cable to connect the speaker port of your PC to the tape recorders microphone slot and then playing the CD in your PC and recording the speaker feed, though there might be technical problems in that: I've been having insane trouble trying to get my PC to record off my guitar amps emulated line-out.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2005, 23:52 »

I love mixtapes, just sent off one to someone on another forum so I'm eager to get going on another. It's pretty cheap to send one to the US, I've done it a few times so don't worry about that. Mix CDs aren't nearly as good though, they have so much less passion put into them. Mixtapes need care and attention, CDs are just too damn easy.

As for the legality, it's quite possibly legal since no money is changing hands and totally legal if you're doing stuff by people who don't care about copyright crap, and even if it isn't there's absolutely no chance of ever getting into trouble over it so who cares?

Long live the tape trade!
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Inlander

• coprophage
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2005, 00:10 »

The legality question isn't so much about whether we get in trouble, as it is about using Jeph's forum (yes, Jeph's forum) to advocate illegal acts.  Not fun for him, not fun for us.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2005, 00:13 »

Good point.

Well, I've been trading tapes for many years now and I've never heard of anyone or anything getting in trouble for it. One site I frequent even has a dedicated tape trade section of the forum, it's very blatant. I'd say Jeph was very, very safe.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Inlander

• coprophage
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #15 on: 06 May 2005, 00:22 »

Fair enough, though I'd like clarifiction on the legalities of it before I get involved - not for fear of the law, but for fear of angering the mods!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2005, 00:25 »

Well, if the mods did think it was dodgy (but like I said, I don't think they have any cause at all to worry, it wouldn't even occur to me as a problem. Their call though) I have more than enough good stuff which would be totally legal to tape for people since it's by DIY bands to do trades with anyone who fancied it.

Robbo

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #17 on: 06 May 2005, 00:34 »

Khar, if you wont bring the Death Metal goodness, I will boy :P

MilkmanDan

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #18 on: 06 May 2005, 01:01 »

I'm keen. Could be interesting with the trans-atlantic issue, but it's all good. Just write 'all copywrite reserved by the original artists, for promotional use only' somewhere, that'll make it legal fo' sho'!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #19 on: 06 May 2005, 02:32 »

Tapes from people in other countries are the best, since there's more chance of hearing people you'd never get to otherwise.

Oh, and on the legal subject, since the forced listening thread is basically encouraging the use of p2p software or people hosting songs so others can download them it's far far more likely to get people like the RIAA's back up since that's what they're fussed about these days. They know mixtapes will only help their sales if anything since we're basically doing the same thing free CDs on magazines or cheap label promos do except without the cost to them. It's free advertising!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #20 on: 06 May 2005, 04:08 »

Quote from: Robbo
Khar, if you wont bring the Death Metal goodness, I will boy :P

hehe, I was thinking of maybe doing a tape called 'No Death Metal Whatsoever' and filling it with BM, Grind and harsh power/MDM, so no actual death metal.

If I did do this, I would simply make what I honestly considered to be a really kick-ass mix of obscure and semi-obscure bands, crossing a wide (and I do mean wide) variety of sounds and genres. I've already got tons of CDs and playlists lying around of that type of thing, and I love making them, tbh. Whether you liked what I put would be up to you.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #21 on: 06 May 2005, 04:14 »

I'm really keen on this idea. Basically just because I'm interested in what I'd get... I don't think anything I listen to is really obscure or anything... So poor person who gets me. But still sounds cool none the less!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #22 on: 06 May 2005, 05:57 »

Oh, I'm in on this.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

salada

• Curry sauce
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #23 on: 06 May 2005, 07:03 »

oh man.
awesome oppurtunity to tie someone down (figuratively, of course) and subject them to the less, uh, accessible parts of my musical taste.

trying to get people to listen to my music is like trying to sell textbooks on fluid mechanics on a street corner.

Mnementh

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #24 on: 06 May 2005, 07:55 »

If the powers above me say otherwise then I'll go with that, but I'm going to say that while this is a grey area, we're not engaging in wholesale music theft, and we're not showing people where they can get free music unlawfully.  I think that this is okay.

So what I suggest is if you're in say so here, we will stop accepting names next Wednesday.  At that point I'll randomly pick a "send to order" at which point you can take care of exchanging addresses via PM.

Sound good?

Inlander

• coprophage
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #25 on: 06 May 2005, 07:56 »

Go-ahead from a mod.  Works for me - I'm in!

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #26 on: 06 May 2005, 08:01 »

i'm in if we're doing mix cds... most of my music is on my computer only so i can't really make mix tapes very easily...

edit- i'd prefer to receive a mix cd too... since the only place i have a tape player is in my car and i usually listen to music only on my computer or mp3 player.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Inlander

• coprophage
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #27 on: 06 May 2005, 08:05 »

I don't really see what difference it should make, what medium people use - as long as it's recorded and can be put in the post, and the person at the other end has the means to play it.  Use whatever suits you.

Mnementh

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #28 on: 06 May 2005, 08:20 »

I'm doing a mixed CD, it is up to you in terms of what medium you use, but keep in mind that a lot of folks no longer have tape decks, or prefer to be able to import music to their computer.  I don't even have a CD player in my car, just an iPod.

Perhaps that is something you can co-ordinate with the person on the other end once you find out who that is?

For the record, I'm in.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #29 on: 06 May 2005, 08:39 »

I'll do it!
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

Robbo

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #30 on: 06 May 2005, 09:08 »

Now we just need to get an even number of people sorted.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #31 on: 06 May 2005, 10:11 »

I'm in too! Let us rock and/or roll!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #32 on: 06 May 2005, 10:24 »

Yay, trading! I can only do tapes though, my computer doesn't have a CD burner.

Mnementh

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #33 on: 06 May 2005, 10:31 »

Quote from: Robbo
Now we just need to get an even number of people sorted.

We won't need an even number, we aren't pairing off.  It will be a randomly selected list and you'll give to the next person on the list.  The last person will give to the first person.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #34 on: 06 May 2005, 10:35 »

Can people not enter this if they aren't totally set on trading? You usually get some annoying people that say they'll do mixes and then never bother, and it's always really disappointing for the people who do and then get nothing.

Revenge_Therapist

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #35 on: 06 May 2005, 11:24 »

Those whoe break the chain shall have the same done to their kneecaps.
Let's set up a seperate fourm sticky for track lists.

nothingwitty

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #36 on: 06 May 2005, 11:31 »

I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS INTERNET ACTIVITY.

Revenge_Therapist

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #37 on: 06 May 2005, 11:34 »

Hey Mod type persons, is there anyway to tell who all voted for a poll. If we can do it that way I set this poll to close after a set amount of time. I believe it was three days.

pip_helix

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #38 on: 06 May 2005, 11:34 »

sounds fun, i'm in!

MilkmanDan

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #39 on: 06 May 2005, 11:35 »

Excellant. Are we going to running some sort of theme, or is it a free for all?

Revenge_Therapist

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #40 on: 06 May 2005, 11:37 »

I always construct my Cd's as a genre hopscotch.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #41 on: 06 May 2005, 11:44 »

Oooh!
I'm in!
The only problem I have is getting my computer to work, as it's died, so my eager habit of CD burning has taken something of a backseat,  but I can still do tapes...
Another chance to inflict my music on people, oh yes...

Tinjessla

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #42 on: 06 May 2005, 12:15 »

I'll join too! I just hope the CD burner i've got at home starts to behave itself. From what i remember, it was always a bit dodgy. But if all else fails, mix tapes it is. And also..it'll be cool to get interesting post for once!

blindsuperhero

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #43 on: 06 May 2005, 12:25 »

Count me in. I'm actually working on a mix just for myself as we speak.

Willis

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #44 on: 06 May 2005, 14:52 »

Willis is game

~~Willis

pistachio

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #45 on: 06 May 2005, 16:26 »

oooOOOoooOOO... this sounds saucey.... I'm in...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #46 on: 06 May 2005, 16:29 »

Who the hell are slint? It'#s like som,one was trying to type slant but slpped! I slipped a few times there, but that's because I'm slippery as an eel with added slip WOO!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #47 on: 06 May 2005, 19:57 »

Khar's drunken posts are the best posts EVER.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #48 on: 07 May 2005, 01:03 »

If you meet me in real life whilst totally pissed, you either think I'm the coolest thing ever, or try to beat me up.

Or debate neo-paganism with me. But you have to be as drunk as me first, and know what that is.

jeremy

Mix Tape Trades
« Reply #49 on: 07 May 2005, 01:50 »

I like this mixtrade idea. I know nobody here knows who I am or anything about my musical tastes, but that makes for a more interesting trade. I hope.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up