THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 08:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: your gateway band  (Read 21212 times)

marenpoop

your gateway band
« on: 08 May 2005, 00:23 »

yeah i couldn't think of a better title but i'll explain...

what in your experience was your band that opened the door for you to start listening to indie music? like, say you were listening to backstreet boys and then someone gave you...oh i dunno, radiohead's ok computer and you never looked back...

for me, i used to listen to whatever was on the radio when someone told me to get the flaming lips "the soft bulletin". she tricked me actually by telling me they sounded just like blink 182...haha needless to say i'm a huge flaming...head? i'm a huge flaming lips fan.

Praeserpium Machinarum

your gateway band
« Reply #1 on: 08 May 2005, 00:31 »

Must have been a danish rockband called Kashmir, who aren't really indie and sell shitloads of records, anyway mainly their early records Travelogue and Cruzential(a sort of funk rock with song titles like Vote 4 Dick Taid, Prawn's Blues, Lollypork Stomp etc.
From there it just got weirder and weirder ;)

I might add that I had immensely bad taste before, namely Aqua *shudder* and does anyone remember Wamdue Project...jep

however just to show that I am in recovery, I am listening to Set Yourself On Fire right now and it's soooothing...

yipjumpmusic

your gateway band
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2005, 00:42 »

As bad, typical, cliche' as it sounds, Radiohead first...then Pinback.  In between that I knew some of the basics but then after I found Pinback (sometime after BSL) I got the desire to search around for music instead of being a passive music lover.

Tartar Martyr

your gateway band
« Reply #3 on: 08 May 2005, 01:14 »

I was in 8th grade and watching music videos on MTV.  They played a Weezer video, I liked weezer a lot, still like Blue and Pinkerton a lot.  Then they played "Stereo" by Pavement.  I liked that song a lot.  I bought Brighten the Corners the next day.  I liked that cd a lot.  I bought Slanted and Enchanted a week later and never looked back.

Druid

your gateway band
« Reply #4 on: 08 May 2005, 02:27 »

Tool's Aniema.

Let me explain. At this point I was just going on recommendations from friends, the local college radio stations, and various mainstream magazines. I was searching for a review of Aniema and found the review of it on Pitchfork. Thus I was introduced to Pitchfork and various bands that they have reviewed.

Also Nirvana played a big role by introducing me to the Pixies and Sonic Youth. I ended up likeing those two bands more so then Nirvana.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
your gateway band
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2005, 03:56 »

I don't listen to indie.

I suppose you could say my gateway band would have been maybe Cradle of Filth. I can even remember how it happened. At the time I was heavily into anime and just starting to get into hard rock music via the likes of late Metallica, Rammstein etc. Well, I was downloading anime music videos, (typically geeky) and I got one with Cradle of Filth's cover of Iron Maiden's 'Hallowed be thy Name' and I was just blown away.

Then, soon after, I got one with Dimmu Borgir - Fear and Wonder leading into Dimmu Borgir - Burn in Hell. Hearing that dark, claustrophobic orchestral piece leading into that little cough and that scream of "YOUR GONNA BURN IN HEELLL" set me down the road to decent shit.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Robbo

your gateway band
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2005, 04:07 »

Again, dont listen to Indie.

It was Iron Maiden. When I was younger, didnt like music at all. Nothing on the TV or Radio interested me at all, thought it was all complete crap. Only bits I liked where bits of J-Rock in the anime I watched.

Anyway, one day was playing Carmageddon 2 at my friends house. And listening to the music...which happen to Iron Maiden and I loved it. I I end up looking up more of Maiden's music and going onto the internet to find more bands like them. And it just went on from there.

MilkmanDan

your gateway band
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2005, 05:21 »

Rage Against The Machine and The Beastie Boys.

zekterellium

your gateway band
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2005, 05:39 »

pearl jam. i got vitalogy when i was ten, and my brother sat down with me and made me count the beats in 'my last exit.' one, two, three, four, FIVE!!!!! one, two, three four, FIVEEE!!!!

it was insane.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
your gateway band
« Reply #9 on: 08 May 2005, 06:16 »

The Poster Children.  I sort of randomly came across them when mucking about on the Internet when I was a young lad.  I liked the things that I read, so I picked up Daisychain Reaction, which was a revelation in two ways: 1) Music that's not played on the radio can be much better than music that is and 2) I like music that my parents don't.

From then on, I pretty much lived by the http://www.parasol.com">Parasol Records catalogue.  They used to send out a big paper one that I would go through underlining things that sounded cool (or even bands that had nice names) and try to find out more about.  I started out with the Champaign/Urbana scene at the time (which was impossibly awesome) and then branched out to the rest of the indie world.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

QHD

your gateway band
« Reply #10 on: 08 May 2005, 07:52 »

The Eels. Was in an IRC room and someone was raving about Bus Stop Boxer. At the time, I basically didn't listen to music, but had them DCC me it anyway. Played it endlessly. That led to lots more The Eels. But actually, I mostly blame this site for the indie I listen to.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
your gateway band
« Reply #11 on: 08 May 2005, 09:45 »

Manic Street Preachers

<3

Revenge_Therapist

your gateway band
« Reply #12 on: 08 May 2005, 10:02 »

Oddly enough Lard led me to punk rock which led me to indie rock, which led me back to punk rock......

AnonymousPosterChild

your gateway band
« Reply #13 on: 08 May 2005, 10:12 »

Thats a loooooong story. Basically, back in high school ,there was a band that one of my friends put together that I cant for the life of me remember. They were'nt that bad but thats beside the point. My friend, the drummer at the time, has mostly the same taste in music as me, so when I was listening to something, he'd recommend something I may like, so I'd check it out. Eventually, his semi-obscure taste in music reflected on me and I got into a whole bunch of indie bands.

El Opium

your gateway band
« Reply #14 on: 08 May 2005, 10:44 »

I suppose with me it would probably be Sonic Youth it explains my penchant for noisy and experimental music.

StrikeThePostman

your gateway band
« Reply #15 on: 08 May 2005, 13:14 »

Coldplay led me to Radiohead's OK Computer and the Flaming Lips' Soft Bulletin.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
your gateway band
« Reply #16 on: 08 May 2005, 13:22 »

I don't listen to indie, with the exception of maybe, 3 bands.

Of my avant-garde/fucked up music:
Primus and Zappa, which led to Beefheart and the Residents and Buckethead and all that jazz.

Metal:
Black Sabbath, which led to Iron Maiden, which led to a shitload of other stuff.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Druid

your gateway band
« Reply #17 on: 08 May 2005, 13:30 »

Quote from: nickyandthefuture
I started out with the Champaign/Urbana scene

I have a soft spot for that scene being the HUM fan that I am. I've found that Champaign/Urbana and Chicago produce lots of bands that I like.

mikemike

your gateway band
« Reply #18 on: 08 May 2005, 13:52 »

Quote from: StrikeThePostman
Coldplay led me to Radiohead's OK Computer and the Flaming Lips' Soft Bulletin.

Exactly the same apples for me, except I bought Kid A first. Not the easiest Radiohead album to start with but I love it.

Hatebunny

your gateway band
« Reply #19 on: 08 May 2005, 13:56 »

I pretty much started out liking indie stuff...I just stole my dad's CDs I'd never heard that looked cool, and that's how I got into Primus, and then I started looking up independent trance music artists on mp3.com, and once I'd got into the habit of finding my own music actively, and my tastes changed more in the direction of alt-rock, I just...started finding indie music.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
your gateway band
« Reply #20 on: 08 May 2005, 15:06 »

I don't think their indie but a while back I started listening to the Strokes.  That began my turning away from bands like Slipknot and Korn, etc.  Then it progressed from there.  First true Indie band would have to be Spoon, I think I picked them up from these forums to be honest.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
your gateway band
« Reply #21 on: 08 May 2005, 15:10 »

I downloaded some Interpol stuff when I was on KaZaA looking for Matchbox 20's "Bright Lights." I had no idea what it was and I started seeking out similar stuff actively and borrowing random CDs from the library. The first random CD I ever borrowed was Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, which I'd never heard of.

So yeah, I kind of lucked out on both those counts, but they definitely opened up a whole new world.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

StrikeThePostman

your gateway band
« Reply #22 on: 08 May 2005, 15:12 »

Quote from: mikemike
Exactly the same apples for me, except I bought Kid A first. Not the easiest Radiohead album to start with but I love it.

Kid A was my second; it took me forever to get into.  It was one of those albums that I at first hated myself for spending the $16 to get but after three months finally really listened to.

Mikendher

your gateway band
« Reply #23 on: 08 May 2005, 16:00 »

elliott smith and iron & wine, at about the same time. so basically acoustic stuff introduced me to indie

blindsuperhero

your gateway band
« Reply #24 on: 08 May 2005, 16:01 »

The Beatles.

mooface

your gateway band
« Reply #25 on: 08 May 2005, 16:20 »

I guess you could say it was Bright Eyes because that's the first indie band I've listened to.  But I'm constantly having friends introduce me to new music, and the two people who have introduced me to the most bands are heavily into indie.

cacahuate

your gateway band
« Reply #26 on: 08 May 2005, 17:42 »

I guess "Good News for People who Love Bad News" got me into the genre...

Willis

your gateway band
« Reply #27 on: 08 May 2005, 17:44 »

I would have to say my gateway band would be R.E.M.  Obvious, I know.  I did the whole "who influenced them" thing and wound up buying the VU box set, Peel Slowly and See when I was a senior in high school.  It tooke me awhile to really indulge and understand what that band was all about.  I really didn't start to go all-out indie until around 1999/2000.  I was on an R.E.M. message board and someone posted an "Indie Rock Primer" which included such gems as Slanted and Enchanted, Daydream Nation, Paul's Boutique, and Surfer Rosa.  I started there and never looked back. And now its nice when I hear bands talk about listening to R.E.M. and how they influenced them.

~~Willis

Signum_Tenebrae

your gateway band
« Reply #28 on: 08 May 2005, 19:27 »

The band that got me into metal was Metallica.

More specifically, a cassette tape of "Ride The Lightning" I bought when I was about 10 years old.

dako

your gateway band
« Reply #29 on: 08 May 2005, 19:37 »

I listened to Pink Floyd and nothing else growing up. Then I heard 'Mommy, Can I Go Out And Kill Tonight' by The Misfits and I was hooked.

The Misfits really opened the door for just everything. They led me to Black Flag and then reading Get In The Van which is Henry Rollins' tour journal entries got me into a bunch of bands that were on Black Flag's record label, SST. Those bands would include Sonic Youth and Husker Du. That was the stuff that got me into indie I guess.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
your gateway band
« Reply #30 on: 08 May 2005, 19:39 »

I can't really remember anymore. It could well have been 'One Head, Two Arms, Two Legs' by Dawn Of The Replicants. Or maybe my mum's Velvet Underground 'best of' album, but I can't remember if I played that much before getting into indie for myself. For punk, it was 'Insomniac'.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

marenpoop

your gateway band
« Reply #31 on: 08 May 2005, 20:25 »

yeah i guess i shouldn't have restricted it to just indie, i just said that because of my own experience. i should have said whatever you are listening to now. :)

Psiogen

your gateway band
« Reply #32 on: 08 May 2005, 22:00 »

My mom had an indie rock band when I was a kid. If I had ever found a gateway, it would have had to be a gateway out.

rynne

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Hey, nice marmot!
your gateway band
« Reply #33 on: 08 May 2005, 22:04 »

I think a lot of people have answered a similar query in the thread.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

nothingwitty

your gateway band
« Reply #34 on: 08 May 2005, 22:34 »

The Afghan Whigs

patch

your gateway band
« Reply #35 on: 09 May 2005, 06:19 »

my introduction to indie was when i realized that i absolutely hated punk.
i was punk for so long, id have the word punk n my head all day.
then once at a show i realized i didnt like the atonal wailing and incompetence i saw.
there was a month where i had nothing to listen to except nick cave and the saints.

Schmung

your gateway band
« Reply #36 on: 09 May 2005, 07:36 »

Radiohead. Bought Ok Computer for reasons that escape me at present and it jsut blew me away. Then I sort of hit a musical low of litening to shitty punk and nu metal for a while (surely a low point for me) before I actually aquired some taste before going to Uni and starting to listen to this that and everything else.

catflea

your gateway band
« Reply #37 on: 09 May 2005, 07:58 »

Muffy is going to slate me for this............

Feeder.    One of my associates in class was listening to polythene on his personal stereo type things,  I went and bought the ablum straight after class.

For those who don't know jack about feeder,  they've only turned shitty recently.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
your gateway band
« Reply #38 on: 09 May 2005, 09:44 »

I remember early Feeder, and that's a lie
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

ASturge

your gateway band
« Reply #39 on: 09 May 2005, 09:57 »

Yeah, i hope Muffy kicks your mofoing backside.

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
your gateway band
« Reply #40 on: 09 May 2005, 10:39 »

Happened when I was 14.

I was a freshman in high school, and was the music reviewer for the school paper. I was getting to a point where I wanted to try and 'break' a band or album to my school peers. Change the music scene, you know?

Of course, I was 14 and didn't listen to much music outside 'good' MTV rock bands (Green Day, RHCP, the like).

At this time, I had never heard of Radiohead, but when I was looking in the CD store and saw the cover to Kid A, I was just drawn to it. I thought I had maybe heard of the band before, and thought I heard something about the album being good, but not a damn thing else.

That night, I put it on my dad's hi-fi when no one was home and put it just loud enough where I could get completely lost in it.

It was mesmerizing, enchanting, amazing...

I didn't know enough about music, I guess, to be put off by it. I was listening to it with completely open ears. When I heard Thom Yorke's voice on the title track, all digitized and muted, it was one of the most exciting things I had heard. The opening keyboard synth drones of "Everything In It's Right Place" were infectiously planted in my head from the first time I heard them.

I tried to get my friends into them, and they'd make fun of me. When they were juniors and seniors in high school, I'd hear them talking to people about how badass of a record Kid A was and laugh at them and point out when I first made them listen, they mocked me profusely for liking it. They'd look down at their feet all sheepishly and I'd laugh.

After listening to Kid A, I looked up reviews on the album to help write mine. I came across a pitchfork Top 20 albums of 2000 list which included Sigur Ros' Agaetis Byrjun and Modest Mouse's The Moon And Antarctica. After downloading and loving those two albums, in addition to Kid A, I was gone down the indie pathway for good.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

blindsuperhero

your gateway band
« Reply #41 on: 09 May 2005, 14:02 »

Quote from: I Am Not Amused
I didn't know enough about music, I guess, to be put off by it

What does this even mean? Oh, and

Quote from: I Am Not Amused
"Everything In It's Right Place"

"Its", thank you very much.

I was going to comment on how old this made me feel, given that you were 14 when Kid A came out, then I realised that I was 14 when Kid A came out. Which means I started listening to Radiohead when I was 11. Which, frankly, is quite worrying.

Revenge_Therapist

your gateway band
« Reply #42 on: 09 May 2005, 14:43 »

You just make me feel old....

Pip Monkey-Dick

your gateway band
« Reply #43 on: 09 May 2005, 14:54 »

Postal service. My best friend sent me an mp3, and i got hooked.

Though I listened to radiohead loooooong before that.

I think most of their music came out either pre-me, or when I was very young, and not quite self-aware...

but then again, i'm pretty vague on when exactly they came out.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
your gateway band
« Reply #44 on: 09 May 2005, 15:41 »

BlindSuperHero, nobody likes a grammar nazi.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
your gateway band
« Reply #45 on: 09 May 2005, 16:27 »

Yeah, ain't nobody nohow who likes them a grammer nazzie.

Willis

your gateway band
« Reply #46 on: 09 May 2005, 17:08 »

Quote from: Revenge_Therapist
You just make me feel old....

You're not the only one pal.  Kid A came out when I was...eh...almost 22.  It is interesting from an "old man's point of view" to see the difference between my "gateway" band/bands and those of the kiddies here.

Off topic: we should start a QC Geriatrics for all us old folks.  We can talk about casette tapes, CD long-boxes, and how "Creep was everywhere the summer of '93."

~~Willis, feeling nostalgic

Jarne

your gateway band
« Reply #47 on: 09 May 2005, 17:18 »

After buying The Moon and Antarctica, I basicly put down all the stuff I was listening to at the time and went indie from then on.

Johnny C

• Mentat
your gateway band
« Reply #48 on: 09 May 2005, 17:19 »

You certainly did the right thing.

blindsuperhero

your gateway band
« Reply #49 on: 09 May 2005, 23:33 »

Quote from: Kai
BlindSuperHero, nobody likes a grammar nazi.

Since when did "Superhero" warrant two capital letters?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up