THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 13:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: your gateway band  (Read 21167 times)

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
your gateway band
« Reply #50 on: 10 May 2005, 00:34 »

The Covenant. I downloaded Nexus Polaris' "Dragonheart" and was completely blown away by Hellhammer's masterful drumming. The 6 full minutes of 32nd notes on the doublebass was just too much; I wanted more. I checked out the other bands Hellhammer'd been in, and it brought me to a wild galaxy of christian hating, tribalist childer of Europa. from Mayhem to Arcturus and Bathory and even Cradle of Filth, I was hooked and became the metalist scum the world loathes today.
also israel

TheCourtJester

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
your gateway band
« Reply #51 on: 10 May 2005, 01:57 »

Started with The Decemberists. "My mother was a chineze trapeze artist" at a party my cousin was having. My taste in music was limited to hard stuff (MSI, APC, other crazy shite), showtunes, and the usual mainstream stuffs from TV and radio. But I had mentioned I liked old Weezer...he kinda gave me a funny look and told me some other bands I might like.

Then one led to another...and here I am. I still listent to a lot of punk and "mainstream" stuff if it appeals to me. I didn't CHANGE the music I listened to, just broadened it.
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

myiaa

• Not quite a lurker
your gateway band
« Reply #52 on: 10 May 2005, 09:03 »

Hole. I was searching for a song online, and I Soundgarden's Blackhole Sun came up in the search results, so I downloaded that because I thought "hey why not". Then I moved away from the bratty girl rock I used to listen to and into indier things.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
your gateway band
« Reply #53 on: 10 May 2005, 20:00 »

My uncle force-fed me Pixies from a very very young age. Then after he finally got through to me (epiphany at age 12), I started going after similar artists, who covered them, who they covered, the producers' other stuff. Basically I looked up everything on the sleeve. Yay
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Hecuba

your gateway band
« Reply #54 on: 10 May 2005, 20:01 »

For me, it was a friend who introduced me to the Magnetic Fields (who recently made their debut on a major label, I may add). I guess I would've been about 12, thus I didn't get a few of the more risqúe bits of 69 Love Songs, but I still loved it. Around the same time I was given a Sparklehorse CD for my birthday and introduced to Belle & Sebastian by a Scottish expat friend... and history was made, I guess.

I wouldn't count myself among the never-looked-back sect, though. I'm still a R.E.M. and Bob Dylan fanatic, plus I like some more mainstream stuff (the Barenaked Ladies in particular, and the Wallflowers and AFI [although not their most recent album. Blech]).

reva

your gateway band
« Reply #55 on: 11 May 2005, 08:52 »

Incubus... yeah, sounds odd, but when I started listening to them, I joined up on a fansite's messageboard which was populated by a lot of indie and punk fans.  And here I am today :)

Kelamin

• Balloon animal serial killer
your gateway band
« Reply #56 on: 12 May 2005, 17:29 »

I have no idea what indie music is but i know what got me into music in the first place

Prodigy - Breathe
Korn - Got The Life
"I miss you cupcake"

emudoug

your gateway band
« Reply #57 on: 12 May 2005, 23:58 »

my gateway into indie:

they might be giants, when i was like 8. my friend's nanny was listening to them in the car, and we'd all sing along. it was awesome.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
your gateway band
« Reply #58 on: 13 May 2005, 00:01 »

Best.  Nanny.  Ever.

sXeSamurai

your gateway band
« Reply #59 on: 13 May 2005, 08:13 »

My gateway band was defintetly the Cure, my dad was a huge 80's pop fan, so I was exposed to The Pixies, The Smiths, Depeche Mood, and The Police, this led to listening to Sonic Youth, Interpol, Flaming LIps, and Wilco. I'm (unfortunetly) still in my punk phase, my punk gateway band was The Ramones, I heard them on a old skate video about four years ago, and then it was more covered bands like, The Clash, MxPx, Rancid, NO/FX, and Anti-Flag and The Sex Pistols, but it got better when my 8th grade girlfriend introduced me to The Damned, Black Flag, Op. Ivy, Dead Kennedys, Jawbreaker, and the Germs, so I wen't headfirst into it. But mostly it was thanks to The Cure and Depeche Mood.

Mnementh

your gateway band
« Reply #60 on: 13 May 2005, 08:30 »

I never really had a gateway band, the closest thing would be R.E.M.  After the phase where you listen to basically your parents music (a lot of which I am still into) I got into R.E.M. in the late 1980's, pretty much the same time my father did.  After that I skipped most of the grunge phase in favour of Wilco, Moby, Depeche Mode, the Cure and a lot of mid-90's post grundge alt-rock.  I was heavily into the philly local music scene, groups like G. Love & Special Sauce, Bloodhound Gang (at the time), Trip 66, Ben Harper, etc.

God, this was all back around 1996 or earlier, I'm feeling pretty old now.  Interesting sidetrack.  R.E.M. and Moby lead me to Mission of Burma, which lead me to the Pixies and Husker Du.

sXeSamurai

your gateway band
« Reply #61 on: 13 May 2005, 08:42 »

I feel old and I'm only a 16 year old sophmore...I really have been listining to The Cure for ever.

Schmendrick

your gateway band
« Reply #62 on: 13 May 2005, 11:07 »

My gateway band was Weezer. I took my sisters blue album cd after she left it in the car when I was about eight and I still have it seven years later.

sXeSamurai

your gateway band
« Reply #63 on: 13 May 2005, 11:31 »

I fell out of love with Weezer, they are no ridicously popular at school and elsewhere. "Buddy Holly" is a great song, but extremely overplayed.

mookers

your gateway band
« Reply #64 on: 13 May 2005, 12:59 »

phantom planet.

i looked into their blog cause i'm a huge geek and Alex Greenfield or Greenwald or whatever had his ideal mix tape. it had things like Lightning Bolt, Hella, Deerhoof, all this stuff i'd never heard of.. and it branched off from that.

eeah

your gateway band
« Reply #65 on: 13 May 2005, 14:33 »

Gateway bands : The cure, depeche mode, pixies, radiohead, etc.

call it glitter

your gateway band
« Reply #66 on: 13 May 2005, 16:22 »

Boyfriend sent me 'Company Calls' by Death Cab.

From that day on my taste in music pretty much broadened to most genres.

Katili

your gateway band
« Reply #67 on: 13 May 2005, 18:16 »

For me, it would have been a mixture of three people's influences.

I was listening to the Manic Street Preachers and Oasis and stuff a lot, but then I was talking to my friend Sophie and she introduced me to the Killers, the Kaiser Chiefs and Le Tigre.  Le Tigre obviously being electronic pop more than indie, but I wanted to include it anyway.
Then there was her (now ex) boyfriend Nathan and his liking for Ratatat, the Shins and the Arcade Fire.  Damn him for not being online much anymore - I hate the radio and he told me about new music.
Finally, my (now ex) boyfriend made me get Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's self titled album, which is fantastic, and I just want to mention once again that I'm seeing them live next month!!

I have a tendency to warble on for hours about this kind of thing so I shall stop before I get carried away...

Robbo

your gateway band
« Reply #68 on: 14 May 2005, 00:47 »

It's really weird seeing how different groups all got into music in different ways. A lot of Metalheads seen to have come from actually buy music themselves or from nerd areas like Anime and Video Games.

Yet the Indie lot mostly come from people giving them music or their parents.*

*Why yes, I do know this is a sweeping statement because I haven't go back and read the topic again in full and that it's a limited data set. I am also aware my point as the same flaws as all other sweeping statments ever.

Druid

your gateway band
« Reply #69 on: 14 May 2005, 17:53 »

I've come to the place I am from research and buying albums. If my friends had influenced my tastes, I would listen to top 40 modern rock or something more metal/gothy, and my parents are musically a blank spot.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
your gateway band
« Reply #70 on: 14 May 2005, 19:20 »

Also, I've got to say my parents probably did musically influence me. Actually, they certainly did: You've got my dad brining me up ona  diet of prog rock and old-school punk, and my mum feeding me everything from Siouxsie and the Banshees to Bob Dylan. My parents musical taste generally rocks. I mean, I got my dad into Nightwish and Ayreon, and my mum's now a firm Skyclad lover.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
your gateway band
« Reply #71 on: 14 May 2005, 21:28 »

i'm not an indie listener either, but here's the story anyway.

i was big into(lord help me) things like bon jovi when i was younger(say 13) and upon getting into highschool a friend i had made gave me a copy of skinny puppy's album 'last rights'.  it took my a while to really get into and understand it, but from there it was an easy slide into other things...haujobb, nin, fla, etc.  it also got me into things like the aforementioned radiohead and just looking for something different for the sake of doing so.  

(i still hum along to bon jovi on the radio occasionally)

DeathrockZombie

your gateway band
« Reply #72 on: 15 May 2005, 02:35 »

BLACK SABBATH

laeta.asinus

your gateway band
« Reply #73 on: 15 May 2005, 14:57 »

Well, my own mother used to delve into the punk world and bring us back gifts from the past. I grew up crooning to the Pixies' "Caribou" and "Debaser". Thankfully, I was able to avoid the Good Charlotte stuff in Grade 8. I got really into this local band, Alexisonfire (they used to be small!) and I fell in love... with Dallas' voice, especially. I confided in them the entire year, embracing my misunderstood pre-teen angst. Then Billy Talent exploded, and they became my next obsession. I went to see a show with them headlining and METRIC and Death from Above 1979. That's when it all started. I quickly ditched Billy Talent and fell in love with hipper-than-thou culture. Voila. (Once in a while, I still pull out my alexisonfire on a sad, stormy night. But don't tell anyone!)

laeta.asinus

your gateway band
« Reply #74 on: 15 May 2005, 14:59 »

I was also always a fan of U2 and Supertramp, due to my parents. *HI MUM!*

Jeridus

your gateway band
« Reply #75 on: 22 May 2005, 20:41 »

Hmm... I got Radiohead's Pablo Honey back in grade 6 (it was pretty old by then... 3 or four years), my parents listened to the cure, and more recently, I deeper into indie with Modest Mouse's Lonesome Crowded West... and let's not forget Sloan, back when they were still indie.

sp2

your gateway band
« Reply #76 on: 22 May 2005, 22:17 »

Nirvana and Pink Floyd

Nirvana led to Meat Puppets and later, the Pixies and Sonic Youth.  Pixies led to Velvet Underground, which led to various guitar rock bands.  Sonic Youth led to stuff like Blonde Redhead and other experimental art rock.

Pink Floyd led to Syd Barret's solo stuff (which is damned fucked up) which led to Frank Zappa and then other various really messed up bands.  Pink Floyd also led to Radiohead, which led to various prog acts, including The Mars Volta, which are now one of my favorite bands.

I missed out on a lot of the really mainstream indie acts, partly because I spent a long time with limited money, and partly because I just can't really reconcile some of them with my tastes.  Somewhere along the line I went through a goth phase where I picked up a taste for industrial, and I've retained a love for Ministry, Skinny Puppy, and Frontline Assembly (my favorite industrial band) although I've sort of distanced myself from KMFDM, Rammstein, and some other industrial acts.  Lately I've been slowly trying out new subgenres based on recommendations, and liking some and hating others.  I picked up the Black Keys a few months ago on several recommendations and was awestruck.  I tried out Decemberists on other recommendations and I couldn't stand them.  Postal Service makes me want to beat the shit out of someone.  

So, I wouldn't say I'm exactly indie, but I have some indie tastes.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
your gateway band
« Reply #77 on: 24 May 2005, 15:54 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Also, I've got to say my parents probably did musically influence me. Actually, they certainly did: You've got my dad brining me up ona  diet of prog rock and old-school punk, and my mum feeding me everything from Siouxsie and the Banshees to Bob Dylan. My parents musical taste generally rocks. I mean, I got my dad into Nightwish and Ayreon, and my mum's now a firm Skyclad lover.

Coolest parents EVER.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
your gateway band
« Reply #78 on: 24 May 2005, 16:09 »

My parents aren't too shabby either. My Dad introduced me to Captain Beefheart and my Mum's a fan of John Zorn.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
your gateway band
« Reply #79 on: 24 May 2005, 16:27 »

The best thing I can say about my dad is that he's a big Zappa fan and most of his records don't suck. Most.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Hector Gilbert

your gateway band
« Reply #80 on: 24 May 2005, 16:40 »

I had a bit of a false dawn with Green Day for a while when I was nine or ten.  Not that I stopped liking them, but I stopped listening to them because I said something bad to my mother that I didn't really understand at the time and I didn't quite get over the embarrassment and start listening to them again until I was around 17/18.  I dug a lot of video game and formulaic electronic music in the meantime but I only really got into rock and otherwise more consumer-oriented music through Nine Inch Nails when I was 14 due to The Quake Soundtrack.  For a year Nine Inch Nails was almost virtually all I listened to, but at 15 I started to branch out a bit.  I only started getting into industrial music and krautrock two years ago, and prog and metal one year ago.  So I'd consider Nine Inch Nails to be for the most part my gateway band, but not the be all and end all by any means.

As for my parents, my mother has been known to put on the dance-y music she likes on the stereo but she doesn't really force what she likes on anyone else.  She appreciates elaborate yet rhythm-centric arrangements and singers with vocal resonance.  She introduced me to groups that I liked a few songs off of but never really got into such as Alabama 3 and Manu Chao, and also Tears For Fears who I do dig quite a bit from time to time.

My father likes The Beatles, jazz music and spacey/ambient music, but has very strong views on the subject.  He once told me that he "never got on with anyone who was into progressive rock", which I find a bit unsettling.  I was planning on getting The Ladder and Magnification while visiting him, but now I'm not so sure!  I give him plenty of credit for showing me some jazz I enjoyed, but that was only a year ago.  One of my earlier introductions to rock music came with Sgt. Pepper's, but after a couple of weeks of my father purchasing the CD for me I wasn't that excited about it.  I guess I'd consider most of my tastes to be primarily self-driven.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
your gateway band
« Reply #81 on: 24 May 2005, 16:52 »

Quote from: Kai
The best thing I can say about my dad is that he's a big Zappa fan and most of his records don't suck. Most.

You make it sound like a Zappa-loving parent is something less than extremely cool. I mean, it's Zappa!
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
your gateway band
« Reply #82 on: 24 May 2005, 18:07 »

It's not that he has bad taste (He doesn't, there's alot of good music in there. Zep, King Crimson, CSNY/Neil Young, Allman Brothers, etc.) It's just that It's almost impossible to beat a dad who raised you on Beefheart.

Course, he really loves the Residents, so it's all good.

mechorg

your gateway band
« Reply #83 on: 24 May 2005, 18:44 »

Quote from: Willis
Quote from: Revenge_Therapist
You just make me feel old....

You're not the only one pal.  Kid A came out when I was...eh...almost 22.  It is interesting from an "old man's point of view" to see the difference between my "gateway" band/bands and those of the kiddies here.

Off topic: we should start a QC Geriatrics for all us old folks.  We can talk about casette tapes, CD long-boxes, and how "Creep was everywhere the summer of '93."

~~Willis, feeling nostalgic

Go for it, Willis.  I'll join you. :)

I really can't think of a 'gateway' band for me because
i've been listening to such different music for as long as i can remember.

so i guess i'll say it was listening to Moody Blues, Harry Chapin, and Yes from my dads record collection when i was 5.

I've been listening to Radiohead since Pablo Honey... I was 20 when kid A came out.  I still remember unwrapping that album in my car and listening to the first 4 notes on max volume in my car driving back to the dorms.  its forever etched into my memory.

Miroku

• Not quite a lurker
your gateway band
« Reply #84 on: 24 May 2005, 19:09 »

Quote from: sXeSamurai
Depeche Mood.
MODE! DEPECHE MODE! M-O-D-E =P

mizaktik

Re: your gateway band
« Reply #85 on: 24 May 2005, 23:33 »

Quote from: marenpoop
yeah i couldn't think of a better title but i'll explain...

what in your experience was your band that opened the door for you to start listening to indie music? like, say you were listening to backstreet boys and then someone gave you...oh i dunno, radiohead's ok computer and you never looked back...

for me, i used to listen to whatever was on the radio when someone told me to get the flaming lips "the soft bulletin". she tricked me actually by telling me they sounded just like blink 182...haha needless to say i'm a huge flaming...head? i'm a huge flaming lips fan.

Very similar here, actually.  I was at Stanford over the summer, and I saw on one kids iTunes the flaming lips, and having read about them in this comic, i asked the kid to burn it for me.  Holy shit have my tastes changed since then....

ksolo84

your gateway band
« Reply #86 on: 25 May 2005, 00:27 »

Quote from: Hector Gilbert
I said something bad to my mother that I didn't really understand at the time and I didn't quite get over the embarrassment

What did you say

hooligan

your gateway band
« Reply #87 on: 25 May 2005, 04:33 »

The Clash definitely got me pointed in the right direction.  

However, I can truly say that it was the "Repo Man" soundtrack which launched me into the Boston hardcore scene.  And I know that this is the case for many other mid-30 year old former punks.  It is funny how many people in my age bracket will bring up that album when talking about early influences.  After I heard that album, I ran right out and bought Suicidal Tendencies, Black Flag, Fear, and Circle Jerks albums.  Shortly thereafter I saw the Circle Jerks at the Rat in Boston, Slap Shot opened for them, that was my intro to the local scene.

All this lead to me getting “This is Boston, Not L.A.”, which got me into all kinds of local stuff.  

Oh crap, and then there was the whole Discord “The Year in Seven Inches” record, that got me into straight edge…

-sam

your gateway band
« Reply #88 on: 25 May 2005, 04:58 »

stragely enough it was Dave Matthews Band for me.  It was having Bela guest on Before These Crowded Streets that really turned me onto the Flecktones -- I'd heard of them from a college roommate who was a fan.  And when I was first getting into the tape trading scene I grabbed a lot of Phish shows because I figured I could trade those for the DMB shows that I really wanted.  From there I started hearing about all these cool bands like SCI, moe., umphrey's etc, and the rest as they say, is history.

-sam
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up