THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 10:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I... I have something very important to tell you.  (Read 7872 times)

WonkoTehSane

This is the stuff I've been listening to. Do you like it? You do?! OMG what r u listening to?!1

Okay – Low Road/High Road

Marty Anderson’s thematically split double-album features some of the catchiest psychedelic pop ever driven by a kazoo. His eerie, compelling pop aesthetic, at varying intervals, also makes use of keyboards, the acoustic guitar, handclaps, a drum machine, and a handsaw. Laid over all of this is Anderson’s voice, which is best described as the result of gargling helium and radio static. His pure, visceral vocals, which are at once pointed and fragile, mind numbingly beautiful and grating, are the real star of his music. They are so pure, unsullied by any attempt at anything but sincerity, lending an air of honesty even to lyrics as textually eyebrow raising as “I consume all the sadness.” Listen to it. Then listen again. And if you still haven’t gotten it, listen again. You won’t regret it.  

Samples? Uh, this was the best I could do.

The Skygreen Leopards – Life and Love in Sparrow's Meadow

The Skygreen Leopard’s latest is as good as anything they’ve ever done. I can’t put into words how much that means coming from me. Each song feels like an opiatic journey through the treetops of Wonderland’s rejected cousin. You’re shoved dreamily along by a deep layer of acoustic folk riffs, encouraged by the wave of maracas and harmonica whose origin you can’t seem to find, weaving around banjos, popping springs, and the occasional sound of someone blowing on a coke bottle, all in desperate search of trance-inducing voice that made you float in the first place.

Or, you know, it’s, uh, a good album. And such.

Samples:

Mother The Sun Makes Me Cry

Belle of the Woodsman's Autumn Ball

Movietone - The Sand and the Stars

A friend had made a sweeping declaration that “women can’t succeed in indie music without a weird ass voice” (noting Bjork, Joanna Newsom, and Regina Spektor as examples) when this album came to mind as a notable exception. Kate Wright’s purely, objectively gorgeous soprano is backed by acoustic instrumentals so beautifully melancholy you’ll wonder where this idea that people had to sound odd to sound good came from.

I wouldn’t have mentioned it, if it weren’t so sorely missed off the hero-worship list here. If you haven’t heard it, do. Or else.*

*Bitches.

Have a listen

Sam Prekop – Who’s Your New Professor?

Sam Prekop’s takes liberal doses of an upright bass, maracas, often subtle guitar, and nearly absent percussion, mixing them in a commemorative-edition Miles Davis sippy-cup and pouring them over his soulful, gentle voice with expert precision. Have a family get together and want something to keep others from trying to put in their own tasteless shite? Grab this album; it’s impossible not to like.

Yeah, yeah, Sam Goody again.

OtterErotic

I... I have something very important to tell you.
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2005, 11:07 »

Those Okay albums are AMAZING (and, uh, I don't say that only because my band is on the same label.)

There's an mp3 here: http://absolutelykosher.com/musicfiles/compass.mp3

And a bunch of okay songs have been featured on the Absolutely Kosher podcast: http://absolutelykosher.blogspot.com

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2005, 13:43 »

Inkubus Sukkubus-Whole Discography

Truly one of my favourite bands ever, Inkubus Sukkubus' combination of pounding celtic drum-machine rhythms, eerie guitar and mournful, sexually charged vocals blow almost every other goth band on the planet out the water in my books.

Vampyre Erotica

Beltaine

Atrocity

Matriarch - Black Apples/Sinful Decadence

These femme fetales from Puerto Rico have but one mission: to eat your soul. And to learn to speak english properly. Two missions: to eat your soul, learn to speak english properly and remove your face with the most demonic triple-fronted female assault of death, black and opera vocals ever concieved. Ok, so I'll shut up before this becomes a total Monty Python rip-off.

Matriarch on Purevolume.com

Borknagar - Quintessence

Every so often, when I've been a good boy, I treat myself to another Borknagar CD. It's like Christmas.

Plus a load of Behemoth, Korpiklaani, Aborym, Nightwish Cock Sparrer, County Medical Examiners, Agalloch and all the rest. Nice mixed bag, my music collection.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2005, 14:58 »

Because we don't have a listening thread or fifty other favorite band threads at all...
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2005, 15:14 »

But MODS.... just one more. I don;t want to see everyone's top ten just my own.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2005, 15:24 »

I'm slightly suspicious that this might have been an accidental thread.

Still, I'll pimp random shit anywhere.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Mnementh

« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2005, 16:25 »

yeah, we already have a "what are you listening too" thread that's 70 some odd pages long.

Actually, that gives me an idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up