THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 09:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite Label?  (Read 29947 times)

Highlander

Favorite Label?
« Reply #100 on: 29 Jun 2005, 16:55 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Interestingly I really don't like Ipecac.

Not keen on the bands, or the design ethos they put on all their merch etc.

Oh come on. You can't hate Fantomas, the Melvins and Tomahawk. Can you?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Favorite Label?
« Reply #101 on: 29 Jun 2005, 18:34 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae

Who is on Unholy/Cympophane?

They handle US distro for Burzum (which essentially means they handle Burzum after Varg quit Misanthropy) and they released the Visions... tribute, plus having a few more small bands like Allfather-Odinn signed and handling distros for a load more. Basically, they're Resistance's Black Metal arm. So, yeah, Resistance is valid, just I don't actually like RAC.

@Highlander: uhh, Tomahawk are ok I guess.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

thermodynamics

Favorite Label?
« Reply #102 on: 29 Jun 2005, 19:24 »

Quote from: BrittanyMarie
K Records is my friend. <3<3<3<3

I loves me some K records. If i had a birthday, they'd come to my party (fortunately, i don't own a birthday!)

suicide squeeze is pretty dandy

rounder records is basass... probably my favorite of all.

ebullientsoul

Favorite Label?
« Reply #103 on: 29 Jun 2005, 23:42 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves

You're not selling me on Most Precious Blood, but fair enough. And there's nothing wrong with a breakdown so long as it's good, like the one in There Will Be No Amnesty by Kill The Man Who Questions.

I just don't rate even the old hardcore bands Victory started out by releasing. I'm not even a massive Sick of It All fan, although they have had some decent tunes and they're good live. As for the ceaseless promotion, well it would be wouldn't it? They're a professional label, they're just doing their jobs. It's not really something to recommend them. I'm much more impressed by all the DIY labels who do vast amounts of work for bands in their spare time.

I can't say I've ever heard Streetlight Manifesto or With Honor (although with a name like With Honor it's quite likely I have and have forgotten them, and I can't imagine them being any good at all), but Comeback Kid and Darkest Hour are tedious so if they're anything like them then it sounds like Victory business as usual.

Streetlight Manifesto is Tomas from Catch 22's new band. With Honor is new school hardcore mixed with old school hardcore and it doesn't suck.

What I mean by that statement about Victory is that they go far and above other labels to promote their stuff. They're ruthless.

There's nothing wrong with a breakdown, true. But there's something wrong with the fans that flock to breakdowns like they're gifts from above.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Favorite Label?
« Reply #104 on: 30 Jun 2005, 04:52 »

I think the best way to end this little debate is with a big amen on your last point there.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

trolley

Favorite Label?
« Reply #105 on: 30 Jun 2005, 05:06 »

Ok i'm not really down with music lingo, so could someone please explain what a breakdown is?

kikanjuuneko

Favorite Label?
« Reply #106 on: 30 Jun 2005, 08:59 »

In the context of hardcore, particularly metal-influenced hardcore and metalcore that came during the late 90's and forward, a breakdown is a part in a song where the song slows down, usually punctuated by rhythmical playing of power chords accented by double kick drums (producing a sound which has been onomatopoeically defined as "chugga"). A good example is Unearth's 'Endless', where it occurs at both 0:55 and 2:47.

Me? I'm a sucker for a good breakdown every now and then, but songwriting is what matters the most to me.

yipjumpmusic

Favorite Label?
« Reply #107 on: 16 Jul 2005, 13:51 »

Definately not killrockstars now.  Slow as hell just in processing.  Secretly canadian may be slow too but I did not do priority mail with them so I never expected it soon anyways.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Favorite Label?
« Reply #108 on: 16 Jul 2005, 14:33 »

Breakdown's are all right, but a good solo always beats a good breakdown. It's the one aspect of Arch Enemy's musical progression I really didn't like, their increasing infatuation with semi-breakdowns instead of solos, especially as Michael Amott is a really awesome guitarist.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ASturge

Favorite Label?
« Reply #109 on: 16 Jul 2005, 14:34 »

KillRockStars

Decemberists?

Deerhoof?

Yes please!

Super Dave

Favorite Label?
« Reply #110 on: 16 Jul 2005, 21:51 »

rock on CENTURY MEDIA!!!

TH89

Favorite Label?
« Reply #111 on: 17 Jul 2005, 16:48 »

Thirsty Ear, Ninja Tune

SpacemanSpiff

Favorite Label?
« Reply #112 on: 18 Jul 2005, 02:07 »

Dischord Records (Fugazi, Minor Threat, Rites of Spring, Q And Not U)
Level Plane (North of America, The Holy Shroud, Shikari)
Load Records (Lightning Bolt, Burmese, The White Mice, Arab on Radar)

And one or two more I can't remember right now.

sergeant chouette

Favorite Label?
« Reply #113 on: 21 Jul 2005, 14:49 »

Kill Rock Stars (just too many bands i love)
Dischord (I have a strange bond with this label, maybe cause I live near DC? Who knows)

notbraveorproud

Re: Favorite Label?
« Reply #114 on: 21 Jul 2005, 19:48 »

Quote from: LoveandaMolotovCocktail
Mine is currently Matador.  I listen to most of the stuff they put out and usually like it.  I mean, they have Interpol. Belle & Sebastian, Cat Power, Mogwai, Richard Hell, Guided By Voices, Arab Strap, Yo La Tengo, etc.

What's yours?

yeah matador is an amazing label my fave is the pave(pavement) evne though theyre like broken up (are they broken up? i dont know im just making assumptions)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up