THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 14:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Request help from any PC builders...?  (Read 5916 times)

Moriarty

Request help from any PC builders...?
« on: 10 May 2005, 14:20 »

I'm basically stupid when it comes to the inner workings of a PC but at the same time, I want a custom built box that outshines the off-the-shelf package. Thusly, I got talking to a friend knowledgable on PC crafting and have got the following quote for the parts specified + assembly. Can anyone give this list a once over and tell me any improvements that could be made and/or if I'm being given a decent deal:
Quote from: Chris the PC ninja
AMD 64bit 3200+
Asus A8N-E mother board
1G Corsair Memory
Maxtor 80GB Hard drive
Nvidia 6200 256MB PCI-e with DVI output
NEC 3520 DVD+/-RW drive
380W PSU ATX2.0

Pre install win XP pro (free)

Cost £690

Optional:
upgrade video card to Nvidia 6600GT 128MB plus £80
upgrade Hard Drive to 160BG plus £30

Last question I have is regarding the video cards since the numbers seem to be conflicting (the optional one looks to be a better model, but has less RAM, which I'm led to believe is better for a video card...?)
I know this isn't the best forum to post this thread onto, but after a few months lurking I think I can trust y'all to be nice :) Many thanks in advance

Schmung

« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2005, 14:46 »

Get the bigger hard drive and a meatier PSU. Might want to check what fans and case etc he's getting. Forking our more for a quiet PC is well worth it IMO.

Might want to go with the punchier graphics card as well, but that depends how many games you play really. More memory isn't always better, not many games will utilise the full 256 anyway. It really depends on what your requirements are. Myself, I'd be looking to spend in the region of £150-200 for which you could get a very respectable Ati x800 based card with 256 meg of DDR ram. For reference purposes that 6600GT costs a little over £100.

Hope that helps.

Moriarty

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2005, 15:01 »

I'm not too concerned about the case and fans - the Pc crafter in question owns a LAN centre which he pretty much built up from scratch, so I can trust him to remember the basics :D The HD was a given in my mind anyway - who wouldn't want more drive space?
I'm after a mostly gaming rig since word processing, graphics rendering and the like are mostly beyond me (and my feeble fanfic attempts can be safely stored on Notepad :P)

Matteh99

« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2005, 17:52 »

One thing to do after you build the PC is write down every thing that's in it and tape it on the inside.  I work at a computer store and it can be a real pain in the butt to work on some custom built machines because we have no idea what's inside.  

It doesn't matter so much if you remain friends with the guy who built it for you or learn how to fix it your self.  But if some one else works on it or you forget two years from now the model number of the mother board and need a bios update or something it would be nice to be able to have a source to look it up.

Eric

c1utch

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2005, 17:53 »

Wow, 690 british pound?  thats about $1300, which will buy you a good bit more than what you've got lined up there it would seem.

GPU: First of all, I'd dump the 6200, and go with somthing better.  Honestly, you won't be happy.  You'll want at least a 6600GT, but what I'd reccomend is a x800xl, you cant go wrong with 16 pipelines, and its only $270 over at newegg (all my links will be at the bottom)

RAM: Umm, make sure if you're getting 1G get 2x512 so you can do dual channel, also what kind of Corsair?  ValueSelect?  I run a gig of it in one of my boxes, so I like it fine, but I would still request (if possible) TwinMOS Speed Premium DDR400 (the Winbond UTT ones) instead, you can run the hell out of them and they're great paired with the AMD 64.

MoBo: I'd go with a Chaintech over that Asus, generally my prefrence, but if you don't need firewire, which it sounds like you don't, and you want a great board (my friend has this exact board with a 3000+ at 3700 speeds), this is the one

PSU:  You'll need a 24pin PSU, and I don't know specifically any offhand, but anything under about 450 should do you, just please do not buy a no-name PSU or use the one that comes with your case.

CPU: I love the 3200+, but make sure you get one of the VENICE cores, you will be much, much happier.

HDD: Relly its up to you, if you have a lot of media, music etc the 120 will do you good, but 80 should be enough for normal use.

Basically this is what I'd do if I were you:

TwinMOS DDR400 41.4034 GBP ($78)
Rosewill x800xl 143.317 GBP ($270)
or if you don't wannt spring for that:
Chaintech 6600GT 89.7075 GBP (169)
vENICE CORE 3200+ 108.817 GBP (205)
Chaintech VNF4/Ultra mobo 49.3657 GBP (93)
WD Caviar 80gb 8mb cache (nothing wrong with yours, but this is cheapest) 30.2577 GBP (57)  

That entire setup (with the x800) is 375 GBP, not including the dvd rw, case, or psu which will not cost you nearly 690 total, so either tariffs over there are heinous, or you could build a computer for much cheaper, one that you would then know inside and out. Or, get your freind to use those parts or somthing

sounds like you'll have a nice computer soon, nomatter what you choose to do :)

*edit* Also, if you're employing him, make sure you get a legal, good copy of windows xp.  and I'd suggest giving him your list (which may be just what he wrote, or some of your own research, or the above or whatever)  So that you know the price, (figure on shipping, tax) and agree on a rate for his services. )

MilkmanDan

« Reply #5 on: 11 May 2005, 03:05 »

Quote from: c1utch
... so either tariffs over there are heinous, ...

Bingo.

wheriend_ndyubgn

« Reply #6 on: 11 May 2005, 07:24 »

DEFINATLY get a bigger power supply. with those specs, it'll over load that poor thing :) heh. i'd look at at least 450, 500 to be safe. As far as RAM goes, use whatever's cheapest and has a brand.

mosfet

« Reply #7 on: 11 May 2005, 08:35 »

I would go 6600GT and a 250gb drive, but definately 120gb over the 80.  Or try to find a 160gb.  Price to space ratio gets bad below 120, and you can usually find a 160 for near the same price as 120gb.

c1utch: For the mem, the term you want is Dual Channel.  Mem on an AMD 64 system is always DDR.

c1utch

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2005, 17:03 »

yea, sorry, i was typing fast. edited.

lb969

« Reply #9 on: 12 May 2005, 11:48 »

Dont go for PCI-E

Right now, nothing supports it, and it really doesn't make much of a difference.

mosfet

« Reply #10 on: 12 May 2005, 11:58 »

currently it doesn't make much of a performance diff for graphics over AGP8x if you use only one card.

and then theres the whole ATI Xpress200 chipset interconnect uses PCI-e

and don't forget that new motherboards (usually NForce4) use PCI-e as the bus to Gigabit network which is vastly superior to standard PCI, as well as using PCI-E to connect to other onboard devices such as Disk controllers.

Its like saying Hyper-Transport makes no difference, or that PCI made no diff over VLB.

Mockery

« Reply #11 on: 12 May 2005, 12:12 »

mosfet speaks wisdom...
Pages: [1]   Go Up