THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 03:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: xbox360 and PS3 goodness (pics)  (Read 19135 times)

c1utch

xbox360 and PS3 goodness (pics)
« on: 16 May 2005, 19:20 »

so they've released pics for the two consoles, specs too, but those you can find on engadget

and

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2005, 19:37 »

you didnt post a picture of ps2 with controller
i dono how

it looks like a boomerang made by mad katz.

c1utch

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2005, 20:27 »

sorry, i didn't want you all to burn your eyes.

most uncomfortable controller evar!

Druid

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2005, 21:28 »

I was just looking for pics of the new Playstation. It looks kind of fat, but it doesn't look bad.

The controller looks horrible though. I hope there are adapters for the old ones.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2005, 21:36 »

Playstaton 3 is apparently played with a boomerang.
That's good news if you're playing, say, Batman.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2005, 21:41 »

Oh god. But nothing was wrong with the PS2 controller! IT WAS AWESOME. T_T
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2005, 01:48 »

XBox 360 > Playstation 3.
This is based 100% on looks. I don't really give a shit about which ones better, so lets not get any flame wars on the go. That controller is horrifying.

Hostile

« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2005, 01:57 »

They're both ugly as hell. Major difference is that the PS3 has incredible graphics.

QC_fan

« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2005, 02:05 »

WTF is up with the pad for the PS3, Xbox 360 looks ok but the PS3 looks better

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2005, 02:05 »

I dunno. the PS3 doesn't look too bad.. the XBox looks a bit funky.. But I'm praying that the PS3 will be backwards compatible, as far as controllers go.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

Hostile

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2005, 03:42 »

Rev.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 17 May 2005, 04:11 »

The PS3 and Rev are sexy. I'm amazed that Sony decided to fuck up the best controller of the last gen, though. All they had to do was swap the left analog stick and d-pad and it would've been perfect.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Hostile

« Reply #12 on: 17 May 2005, 07:56 »

Quote from: James
Hahahahaha! I can't believe they've completely redesigned an almost perfect joypad, while failing to change the one thing that was wrong with it (the analogue sticks). Sony, you have messed up. The console looks nice though. The Revolution, too. (It's not actually gonna be called that, is it?) Truly, this is one sexy generation of videogame devices.

I doubt it. I remember when the Gamecube was called "the Dolphin"...

Mnementh

« Reply #13 on: 17 May 2005, 08:22 »

I actually like that controller.  You're not going to be holding it from the back, but sort of from the top.

Ergonomically it makes sense to me, but I would have to have one to show you how I think you should hold it.

Sideways

« Reply #14 on: 17 May 2005, 08:38 »

I really need to hold that PS3 controller to see how it feels.

I tried a 3rd-party controller for PS1, that had almost the same design, and it was surprisingly comfy.

Really though, why didn't they move the Left Analog stick?  Jesus... LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMER-BASE SONY!!

The console itself out-sexifies the X-Box 360 (aka X-Box stupidname) and the Revolution.

So is that PS3 controller wireless?  It looks it!

Finally... why did they use the same font, on the PS3 itself, as they use in the 'Spiderman' title (on the movies)?

Every time I see that thing in my livingroom, I'm going to think "Spiderman!"

nihilist

« Reply #15 on: 17 May 2005, 10:42 »

I think the PS3 looks like an updated Atari.  Seriously.  Same idiotic box shape, now with curves instead of angles.  Ooh.

I just watched the hour and twenty minute long press release MS had at E3.  Some amazing titles coming for the 360.  They've got quite the idea behind it, really digging the bundled Live service.

Schmung

« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2005, 10:43 »

They're not final products, so design is subject to vast change. After the debacle with the XBox controller, I don't think either company is going to risk putting out anything thats anything less than uber comfortable. The first thing that strikes me about the new XBox is that it looks rather Japanese.

Meh, I'm not hugely fussed either way, I may end up with one of them at some point, but I'll most likely leave it untill a good year or so after they're out.

nihilist

« Reply #17 on: 17 May 2005, 10:45 »

I'd like a 360, but I'm going to wait for two things:  version 1.1 to come out, and to find out what the mod capabilities are.  The 'always online' thing seems to be a nice way to foil any fun that can be had with the box.

BlueCoatKarma

« Reply #18 on: 17 May 2005, 10:47 »

I think the revolution out-sexified the other two by far. Simple and clean without being faux-modern. I think the new PS3 looks terrible. It's like they tried too hard - same with the controller. Just judging from the picture, it appears they've sacrificed functionality for aeshetics.

Haven't designers learned ANYTHING from Apple's success?

nihilist

« Reply #19 on: 17 May 2005, 11:19 »

I cannot comment on the Revolution, for nothing of substance has been said.  Didn't even have a unit to show, only a concept.  Meh.  They could have kept quiet about it, but because MS and Sony have something to push, they had to show something, anything.  Bah.  The GC was not a huge success.  Talking about how it has sold 10 million units (ooh) with 60 new games coming out this year (ahh).  Sad numbers from them.  MS had better numbers to wow people with.

I'm not in sync with Nintendo's vision of gaming, so I doubt I'll ever buy a system from them.  Or a DS.  I'd take a PSP instead.  And a 360 over a Revolution or the PS3.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #20 on: 17 May 2005, 12:34 »

From the site that you got the Revolution picture from:
As for the Nintendo revolution.

Wow, how can a plain metal box be "the best looking system ever"? There is really nothing striking about it. It's a frickin box...it's pretty cool, like Mac-Mini cool, but it's just a box...how long did this take to come up with? 5 or 6 minutes I am guessing. Nintendo round-table...

"It's a revolution guys, so what should it look like?"

"How bout a metal box?"

"Brilliant!"

"Brilliant!"

Addius

« Reply #21 on: 17 May 2005, 12:51 »

A friend of mine said it good a while back: If squaresoft makes games for the console then I'll buy it.

To sum it up: I'll go wherever the good games are. As of yet that'd mean Sonys PS-serien for me.

I'm not overly happy about Sony deciding to use Bluetooth for their controllers though, a tad bit too high powerconsumption.

ASturge

« Reply #22 on: 17 May 2005, 14:43 »

^ XBOX do have the rights to all bioware games remember.

Thats gotta be a hell of a lot of good games right there.

nihilist

« Reply #23 on: 17 May 2005, 14:45 »

I just want another Fallout game.  :(

ASturge

« Reply #24 on: 17 May 2005, 14:47 »

Amen to that. Or maybe a good Planetscape game.

Mnementh

« Reply #25 on: 17 May 2005, 16:02 »

"Redefining term of backward compatability." It's a virtual console, able to download 20 years of Nintendo content. You will be able to Download NES, Super NES and N64 games. You can get every Nintendo game ever made.

(link)

GUYS, YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.  DUCK HUNT!

Mnementh

« Reply #26 on: 17 May 2005, 16:05 »

OH SHIT.  CONTRA!

Addius

« Reply #27 on: 17 May 2005, 16:09 »

I think Fallout is forever lost.. Atleast as we knew it. A new Planetscape could happen but as said, probably Xbox..

hm.. to sum up the titles behind the consoles:

Sony: Squaresoft titles, an abundance of everything
MS: Halo, Bioware, New american gamecompanies(?) and something about Squaresoft maybe porting their games here.
Nintendo: Mario, Early Squaresoft, Zelda..

Seriously.. I've spent countless of hours over a few of the Zelda-series, mostly over the "A link to the past" and "Link's Awakening", it hurts a bit missing out the newer titles.

Do I smell a win for the XBOX? It doesn't really matter, I don't have time anymore anyway. Maybe when I start working, heh.

Marauder

« Reply #28 on: 17 May 2005, 16:19 »

Quote from: Something Witty
I dunno. the PS3 doesn't look too bad.. the XBox looks a bit funky.. But I'm praying that the PS3 will be backwards compatible, as far as controllers go.

"It was also revealed that the PS3 would be backwards compatible with both the PS2 and PS1."

Yep yep, good stuff indeed.  

Source: GameSpy's E3 '05 Exposé

Also, the controller has got to go, the system models are sleek, no problems there, although the Spider-man font seems too tacky.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #29 on: 17 May 2005, 16:25 »

The new Zelda is the reason I bought a gamecube. The first time I saw the trailer I had to take a cold shower.

c1utch

« Reply #30 on: 17 May 2005, 17:39 »

Quote from: BlueCoatKarma
Haven't designers learned ANYTHING from Apple's success?

Well, they're all using IBM processors!

The ps3 (at current porjected specs) will be #87 on the fastest supercomputers list, xbox360 comes in 399th.

oh and while we're on the new gaming topic let me show you the Game Boy Micro:

nihilist

« Reply #31 on: 17 May 2005, 18:21 »

Uh, I'm not sure what specs for the PS3 CPU you were reading, but it's a single CPU.  Not gonna hit #87.

c1utch

« Reply #32 on: 17 May 2005, 19:07 »

wrong :)

IBM cell processor at 3.2ghz with 9 assymetrical cores.

2.18tflops max speed= #87 (you have to scroll down, sorry)

of course I partly agree with you, chances are the specs will change for the worse, but as of right now, yea 2.18tflops, 1tflop for the xbox

nihilist

« Reply #33 on: 17 May 2005, 20:05 »

Not quite, no.  It's one processing unit with eight attached processing units.  In a perfect world, it's fast.  Just like in a perfect world, the PS2 had awesome hardware.  Hard as fuck to write code for it, though, because of the strange optimizations that must happen.  Not a big fan of the architecture, nor the marketing hype surrounding it.  Nor will I base any desicions on things that doesn't even really exist yet.  Not until one of them sees production will I start to make a decision.  Sure, there are legions of fanboys out there hyping how the Cell will demolish PCs, etc, etc, but that doesn't really count for squat.  Guess I'll just wait and see.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #34 on: 17 May 2005, 20:20 »

Well, I officially did not understand one bit of that list.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

nihilist

« Reply #35 on: 17 May 2005, 20:38 »

Number 87 on that list was an NEC-based system.

I think this article should help to clear the air about what a Cell is and is not: http://www.jonpeddie.com/Back_Pages/What%20the%20Cell%20isn't_Feb05.shtml

c1utch

« Reply #36 on: 17 May 2005, 21:02 »

It's one processing unit with eight attached processing units.

I may be missing the distinction between what each of us said, because 1 + 8 is nine just like the current pentium D is 1 + 1 or 2.  

Yes, the  cell will be very very hard to program for, which is why Nintendo is pumping out the messege to developers that their system will be easy for this. It is new architecture, and assymetrical at that.  So the promise in current PCs is little to none, but who knows what the future holds.

However, it is, if anything, new and different, which is why it seems so promising.  The fact that (in a perfect world yea) it is fast, and t has to be cheap, because not many people will want to buy a >$600 console.

But yea, I'm definately of the opinion that everyone will have to wait and see, the systems don't even have finalized specs yet, I was just giving input based on their current hardware boastings.

*edit* Oh, and I just read that article, and it quotes the P3 as 256gflops, but that is per core, so Sony's stats are almost correct in theory at 2.81tflops

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #37 on: 17 May 2005, 21:08 »

The Revolution has me as a guaranteed purchaser just for the complete backwards compatibility. They could release no new games for it at all and I'd still be happy.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

nihilist

« Reply #38 on: 17 May 2005, 21:15 »

Quote from: c1utch
I may be missing the distinction between what each of us said, because 1 + 8 is nine just like the current pentium D is 1 + 1 or 2.

There's a big distiction.  The Cell is not a multi-core CPU, it's a CPU with attached low-level math crunching engines.  The CPU itself can do regular tasks, the APUs can do very specific tasks only.

*edit* Oh, and I just read that article, and it quotes the P3 as 256gflops, but that is per core, so Sony's stats are almost correct in theory at 2.81tflops

Again, there is only ONE processing unit inside a PS3, not four or eight or nine.  Just one.  You also have to make a differentiation: the Cell is optimized for a very specific thing, and that's performing mathematical calculations required to generate graphics.  It's a lot of SIMD performance, but nothing else.  No complicated actions, etc.  The article summed it up nicely:  the processor is designed to process predictable unchanging data.  Once you start changing the type of data that goes in, things go boom.  That's the difference between the Cell and x86/EPIC/RISC chips.  Cell just wants to do the same kind of operations over and over really quickly, nothing else.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #39 on: 17 May 2005, 21:21 »

Revolution's backwards compatibility makes me want to crap myself.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

marc_penny88

« Reply #40 on: 18 May 2005, 02:36 »

ive heard some pretty good things about  the 360. i dont know if this has been mentioned, there was too much computery stuff going on up there, anyway, what ive been told is that you will be able to plug stuff like your telephone, digital and web cams, mice and keyboards and practically every pc peripheral around into the xbox. i reckon it sounds pretty sexy, and it doesnt look that bad either, stupid reason for calling it the 360 though

Hostile

« Reply #41 on: 18 May 2005, 04:26 »

Game Boy Micro

Wow, now there is absolutely no reason to own my DS. Nintendo really did a number on me man I mean there's no getting around that THERE'S NO GETTING AROUND THAT

The Gameboy Micro looks like ass.

c1utch

« Reply #42 on: 18 May 2005, 05:41 »

Wow, now there is absolutely no reason to own my DS. Nintendo really did a number on me man I mean there's no getting around that THERE'S NO GETTING AROUND THAT

Well the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo GameBoy are different products, notice the missing "GameBoy" in the DS's name?  So they planned to put out GameBoys as well the entire time.

@Nihilist: looking at another article [urlhttp://www.blachford.info/computer/Cells/Cell1.html]here[/url] it appears you are right about them being distinct (though often referred to as simply 9 PUs) there are 8APUs and one controller PU.

But I quote from the website: "The Attached Processing Units are not coprocessors, they are complete independent processors in their own right. The PU sets them up with a software Cell and then "kicks" them into action. Once running the APU executes the apulet in the software Cell until it is complete or it is told to stop. The PU sets up the APUs using Remote Procedure calls, these are not sent sent directly to the APUs but rather sent via the DMAC which also performs any memory reads or writes required."

[/url]

nihilist

« Reply #43 on: 18 May 2005, 07:28 »

c1utch:  While the APUs are their own little units, they're not in the same league as the CPU itself; they're designed to do specific number crunching only.  It is not the same as having nine CPUs.

It'll be fast, don't get me wrong.  It'll just be a very specific kind of fast, which is why I don't think it'll be challenging the desktop world for the next while.

MilkmanDan

« Reply #44 on: 18 May 2005, 10:56 »

PS3 = Bose Lifestyle home theater system

You know I'm right.

Radiowar

• Obscure cultural reference
    • my music
« Reply #45 on: 18 May 2005, 15:19 »

I think Xbox 360 is the least impressive system so far. They just seem to be making a whole lot of noise over nothing much.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #46 on: 18 May 2005, 15:33 »

The XBox 360 and PS3 seem identical to me. They're both just kind of boring to me.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Super Dave

« Reply #47 on: 18 May 2005, 16:36 »

IMO, PS3 will absoluteley crush XBox 360.

c1utch

« Reply #48 on: 18 May 2005, 17:02 »

Quote from: nihilist
It'll be fast, don't get me wrong.  It'll just be a very specific kind of fast, which is why I don't think it'll be challenging the desktop world for the next while.

Me too, its a new technology, if it does even catch on at all, it will be a bit down the line.

mosfet

« Reply #49 on: 18 May 2005, 18:16 »

What impresses me about the Nintendo Rev is the size of only about 3 DVD cases.  and the fact that the slot loader can load 12cm full size discs and the small 8cm ones, while standing on its side.  thats just cool.

Not to mention excite bike!

If that Gameboy Micro plays old B&W and color carts, I'm definately picking one up.  I've got a DS, but no way to play GBC games.

Ps3... xbox360.. they'll both be fast, and I'll be unable to afford either for a long time.  I'll stick to my modded xbox.

I think what really matters is what games come out for which consoles, and how good are similar games on the consoles.  Like if a game comes out on both, will both be equal, or will they cut corners for one platform?

Its like now.  if you like Halo, you get an xbox.  if you like FF, you get a PS2.  Zelda? then go Cube.  Games available for all three generally suck crap on the cube, but xbox and ps2 don't have Zelda or Animal Crossing.

I personally think its kind of a useless argument as to which hardware is better.  We should really talk about which games have the most enjoyable play on which system.  It doesn't matter how much faster one system is over the other, if the games all suck on the faster one.

on a side note, yet somehow related to my argument... I've rediscovered MUDs.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up