THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 08:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: xbox360 and PS3 goodness (pics)  (Read 19138 times)

c1utch

xbox360 and PS3 goodness (pics)
« Reply #50 on: 18 May 2005, 19:04 »

Quote from: mosfet
if you like FF, you get a PS2.

ummm not any more ... FF XI is coming out for xbox360 as well.

Not to say that the new installments won't be PS3 only, but this one will go with xbox360 :)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #51 on: 18 May 2005, 19:21 »

Actually, I think FFXI will be on Rev too.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
« Reply #52 on: 18 May 2005, 22:13 »

I'm buying whatever system the new FFVII is on SO HARD that you have no idea.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #53 on: 18 May 2005, 22:30 »

PS3. It's a rumour, but uh, it's a fucking amazing-looking rumour.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #54 on: 18 May 2005, 22:33 »

Then why was the video for it being shown on the live E3 coverage?  I will kill the world so hard. I swear. FFVII was like the coolest game evar(In recent years. Excluding old classics).
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

Addius

« Reply #55 on: 18 May 2005, 23:59 »

They often make remakes like that for games just to test new graphic-engines. I'm guessing that the next FF-game will use it, but that there probably won't be any remake of the FFVII.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #56 on: 19 May 2005, 01:12 »

They had FF6 remake CGI videos for the N64 before Square jumped ship to Sony.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

wraithzero

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #57 on: 19 May 2005, 01:18 »

The FFVII thing was officially declared as a tech demo, so sorry to rain on that parade.

Of course, it's not unknown for developers to bow to public demand, so there's always hope.  Hell, Luigi's Mansion started off as just a tech demo.
Actions speak louder than words, especially if you have a giant moon laser.

Quote from: Tearon
There's something really freakish about you, ya know that? In a good way.

marc_penny88

« Reply #58 on: 19 May 2005, 05:45 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
The XBox 360 and PS3 seem identical to me. They're both just kind of boring to me.

the xbox 360 and the ps3 may look identical but in fact, the ps3 has been said to have a 54 Gb hard drive and have a removable one too.....

but the 360 will only have a 20 Gb hard drive..... im personally going to get the 360.... comes out in the uk this year around christmas time....

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #59 on: 19 May 2005, 10:24 »

I haven't even come close to filling up the 'drive on my xbox.  Then again I haven't put much music on there, have no games that have customable soundtracks, and don't play live (yet.  Hey maybe that will go down in prize and high speed connections will become free!  Hurr).

nihilist

« Reply #60 on: 19 May 2005, 10:40 »

I've got a 250GB drive in my Xbox, and it's pretty crammed.

mosfet

« Reply #61 on: 19 May 2005, 11:13 »

I hear you on that one.  I had to clear off games off my 250gb to make room for the Doctor Who episodes! :)

nihilist

« Reply #62 on: 19 May 2005, 11:14 »

I store my videos and music on another fileserver, and have it setup under XBMC, so that's taken care of.  Just games on the Xbox HD.

mosfet

« Reply #63 on: 19 May 2005, 13:46 »

Hard|OCP has a good read on the XBox360 GPU.

The Xbox 360 Smart 3D Memory is a relatively small piece of DRAM sitting off to the side of the GPU but yet on the same substrate. The Smart 3D Memory weighs in at only 10MB. Now the first thing that you might think is, “Well what the hell good is 10MB in the world of 512MB frame buffers?” And that would be a good line of questioning. The “small” 10MB of Smart 3D memory that is currently being built by NEC will have an effective bus rate between it and the GPU of 2GHz. This is of course over 3X faster that what we see on the high end of RAM today.

Inside the Smart 3D Memory is what is referred to as a 3D Logic Unit. This is literally 192 Floating Point Unit processors inside our 10MB of RAM. This logic unit will be able to exchange data with the 10MB of RAM at an incredible rate of 2 Terabits per second. So while we do not have a lot of RAM, we have a memory unit that is extremely capable in terms of handling mass amounts of data extremely quickly. The most incredible feature that this Smart 3D Memory will deliver is “antialiasing for free” done inside the Smart 3D RAM at High Definition levels of resolution. (For more of just what HiDef specs are, you can read here. Yes, the 10MB of Smart 3D Memory can do 4X Multisampling Antialiasing at or above 1280x720 resolution without impacting the GPU. So all of your games on Xbox 360 are not only going to be in High Definition, but all will have 4XAA applied as well.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzcxLDE=

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #64 on: 19 May 2005, 18:12 »

Quote from: Addius
I think Fallout is forever lost.. Atleast as we knew it.

Bethesda picked up the rights to Fallout, and I think they'll do a pretty damn good job with it if I do say so myself.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

tehpie

« Reply #65 on: 20 May 2005, 09:53 »

I'm too lazy to make a quote, but to refer to the Game Boy Micro, why buy one, as 1up mentions that it is about the size of a IPOD MINI. And, I took measurements, the original gba SCREEN is the size of an IPOD. Sorry for the caps, but it's neccessary. Not only will this thing be tiny and probably uncomfortable, but no doubt will it also be expensive.

And as for the revolution, Nintendo is catching on, emulation is fun. They're just trying to make people pay for it instead. But, I bet it'll be worth it, for some reason.

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #66 on: 21 May 2005, 16:53 »

Quote from: nihilist
I cannot comment on the Revolution, for nothing of substance has been said.  Didn't even have a unit to show, only a concept.  Meh.  They could have kept quiet about it, but because MS and Sony have something to push, they had to show something, anything.  Bah.  The GC was not a huge success.  Talking about how it has sold 10 million units (ooh) with 60 new games coming out this year (ahh).  Sad numbers from them.  MS had better numbers to wow people with.

I'm not in sync with Nintendo's vision of gaming, so I doubt I'll ever buy a system from them.  Or a DS.  I'd take a PSP instead.  And a 360 over a Revolution or the PS3.

I didn't read anything after this, but your numbers are nowhere near correct.

Last time I checked (which was last fall or something), the Gamecube had sold ~17 million units in the US while the xbox had sold ~18 million.  These figures do not account for sales in Japan, where the xbox fell on its face, and in Europe.

If you are happy with run of the mill shooters and PC ports, the xbox 360 is the place to be.  If you want a fresh and unique gaming experience, you need to look towards Nintendo or the PC.

From what I saw at E3, the PS3 looks bad ass.  The videos of gameplay footage they showed off blew me away.  The only negative thing I have to say about it is that it will probably cost around $500 (estimate figured using the hardware it employees).  From what I gathered from their press conference, Microsoft seems very confused right now.  They are somehow going to best Sony in sales by expecting "non-hardcore" gamers to lay down $300+ on an xbox 360.  That is pretty stupid, and if it isn't their marketing strategy (attracting the wives and girlfriends to the auxillary features of the xbox 360) then they did a pretty terrible job of pushing any other ideas in their conference.

Then there was Nintendo.  Didn't say anything about the revolution other than you will be able to download any game ever released for a nintendo home console on it, which is cool, but I can do that with my PC.  It is nice to hear them talk about online stuff though.  The real action with Nintendo involved the DS.  The lineup they are releasing this fall is not only awesome, but online.  Mariokart online.  Animal Crossing online.  It will be sweet.  

Even if Nintendo never gets "cool" by producing generic blood baths, they (unlike Sega) will still be able to hold up in a console market.  They murder the other console producers in the 13 and under demographic.  Just look at the numbers.  DS outselling PSP 5:1.  GBA/GBA SP being the highest selling console (in units shipped, not gross income) currently on the market.   Sooo... I don't remember what point that was leading to, but this year's E3 was way overhyped when you consider the lack of content revealed (on all fronts).  Especially when most of this stuff isn't even coming out in the current calendar year.  I was reading stories in my local newspaper about E3 for the first time ever.  It was ridiculous when only one of the big 3 seemed to be on the verge of prepared to release a console (Sony).  Xbox 360 had playable DOA and a lot of in game cut scenes.  Whoopity fuckin do.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #67 on: 21 May 2005, 19:30 »

Xbox 360 underwhelmed me throughout E3. Revolution, in its mere concept and mystery, is more tantalizing than anything Microsoft managed to crap out. I can get like ninety percent of what they're putting on Xbox 360 on my PC anyway. And Sony has Metal Gear Solid 4, Fight Night Round 3, Killzone 2 and Alan Wake, to name a few awesome games, and the latter three of those games look miles ahead of anything I've seen on the new Xbox.

c1utch

« Reply #68 on: 21 May 2005, 21:30 »

@Tartar Martyr:  Man you figured $500 on the hardware it will employ?  Think about it, that GPU in today' world will cost you well over $1000, as that is what the 512mb 6800ultra is going for, and this trumps it hands down.  Thats just the GPU, a cell processor?  New technology, all of it new.  $500 is probabally round what it will be, but only because its about a year away, and companies take huge losses in order to sell games, whcih they make money on.  So to estimate that price based soley on hardware is wayy off.  Even the "lowly" xbox360 has tech that isn't in circulation yet.

As for the Nintendo DS vs. PSP, I'd say its just the fan base.  Nintendo could shit in a box at this point and it would outsell anything.  Have you played each of the two consoles?  Do you really in your heart feel that the DS was better?  becasue I sure don't.  I'll play  Infected over sprung any day of the week.

IMHO nintendo should go the way of sega and make games, because they would sell.  They havn't even done what they said they've done with the Revolution, engadget took a look at it, and their console, the one they had in their back room, was simply a wighted box, the cd simply *fell* into the slot, nothing inside to catch the disk.

Anyway, I'm open to all 3 consoles, i've made no decisions, I had ruled out the Nintendo, but I miss Duck Hunt, so if its cheap  I may just buy one for my little sister.  As for the PS3 or XB360, its all about games.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #69 on: 22 May 2005, 13:37 »

I feel in my heart that DS is better. The system is worth it for Wario Ware alone.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #70 on: 22 May 2005, 15:08 »

Quote from: Something Witty
I'm buying whatever system the new FFVII is on SO HARD that you have no idea.

they stated they ARENT making it, it was a technical test for the ps3

as for the price of the xbox 360

$499

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2343&

ah evilavatar :)
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #71 on: 22 May 2005, 15:24 »

Anyone seen any pictures of ports for the PS3? Like if you'll be able to use the standard PS2 controllers?

Symp

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #72 on: 23 May 2005, 22:44 »

Quote from: mosfet
If that Gameboy Micro plays old B&W and color carts, I'm definately picking one up.  I've got a DS, but no way to play GBC games.

We'll, as far as I know it can only play gba games, no more, no less

Quote from: tehpie
I'm too lazy to make a quote, but to refer to the Game Boy Micro, why buy one, as 1up mentions that it is about the size of a IPOD MINI. And, I took measurements, the original gba SCREEN is the size of an IPOD. Sorry for the caps, but it's neccessary. Not only will this thing be tiny and probably uncomfortable, but no doubt will it also be expensive.

I'll give you that its small, but maybe not that small, nor is the orginal gba screen that big (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). IGN has said that while the screen is small, it still works as a gameboy. Two more things. One, it cant be anymore uncomfortable than th GBA Sp, with its buttons all crammed together. Since the GB Micro has them on the sides, I think it will be comforable enough. Item #2 - why would it be expensive? It's 3-4 year old technolgy in a smaller shell. And I can garentee that it will be less than DS.

Quote from: c1utch

As for the Nintendo DS vs. PSP, I'd say its just the fan base.  Nintendo could shit in a box at this point and it would outsell anything.  Have you played each of the two consoles?  Do you really in your heart feel that the DS was better?  becasue I sure don't.  I'll play  Infected over sprung any day of the week.

IMHO nintendo should go the way of sega and make games, because they would sell.  They havn't even done what they said they've done with the Revolution, engadget took a look at it, and their console, the one they had in their back room, was simply a wighted box, the cd simply *fell* into the slot, nothing inside to catch the disk.

Infected vs. Sprung? Your going to compare two different genres? Anyway, both systems have their merrit and really shouldn't be competeing against each other.
About the Revolution being a weighted box, all of the PS3 movie were pre-renderd(sp), which I believe means there at the same point as Nintendo right now, without a physical working system.

I also shocked that no one has mentioned Nintendo's new controler idea, and how their not saying a damn thing about it to anyone, for fear that the idea will be stolen.

Rant over now.
Saying sorry isn't an excuse when you do something stupid on purpose

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #73 on: 24 May 2005, 00:08 »

You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

c1utch

« Reply #74 on: 24 May 2005, 17:11 »

Quote from: Symp

Infected vs. Sprung? Your going to compare two different genres? Anyway, both systems have their merrit and really shouldn't be competeing against each other.
About the Revolution being a weighted box, all of the PS3 movie were pre-renderd(sp), which I believe means there at the same point as Nintendo right now, without a physical working system.

Sorry, I suppose I could compare it to Metroid Prime? I think sprung had more playability (heh, from playing the demo for 30 min or so)

And no I wouldn't quite go as far to say that Nintendo is as far along as Sony or Microsoft, even when MS used a G5 to run their system, and Sony used renderings, they both had working production models (engadget got to mess with both) And Nontendo doesn't have as much as pre-renders.  

The fact that they haven't revealed controllers at this point I see as more of a "We're not ready" than a "We're holding out", because there was a time for that, and it was a week ago on the last day of E3.  

Ah well, we'll see within the next year I suppose.

Symp

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #75 on: 24 May 2005, 18:14 »

Quote from: c1utch
The fact that they haven't revealed controllers at this point I see as more of a "We're not ready" than a "We're holding out", because there was a time for that, and it was a week ago on the last day of E3.

They (Nintendo) told IGN that they already have the controler ready, but didnt want to release it because other companies always steal their ideas.

c1utch

« Reply #76 on: 24 May 2005, 18:55 »

weird, I thought that the other two companies already came out with their controllers (or in sony's case a concept)

hmm, interesting

Symp

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #77 on: 24 May 2005, 20:49 »

still have plenty of time to change them though

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #78 on: 24 May 2005, 21:49 »

The N64 was the first controller to have an analog stick. After it was unveiled that it would have it, Sony and Sega altered their controllers for systems that had already been released to have analog sticks before the N64 even came out.

It happened before, it can happen again.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tartar Martyr

« Reply #79 on: 24 May 2005, 23:23 »

One of my friends got a PSP, the graphics it puts out are amazing.  The price tag, battery life, and recycled games (outside of lumines... and probably some others that I haven't heard about) turn me off a great deal though.  I would prefer to buy a slim PS2 and Katamari Damacy.

The DS gives you games that you cannot play anywhere else.  And when it goes online later this year, with titles like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, to be joined later by Black & White and Nintendogs, I don't think there will be much for these two to compete over.  PSP will give you games you can play on your home console in your pocket.  The DS will give you a unique set of games you cannot get anywhere else.

As for the Revolution being a weighted box at E3... who cares?  They even said the box they showed off would not be the final form of the console in their conference.  No game footage, no tech specs, nothing to make the status of the box they were showing off important at all.  Their whole secrecy thing has me really excited.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up