THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Jul 2024, 01:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So.. World Of Warcraft Questions!  (Read 12962 times)

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
So.. World Of Warcraft Questions!
« on: 17 May 2005, 20:16 »

(I know there's other threads on this, I'm just too lazy to look them up)

Yep. I'm looking into this game, because FFXI has almost entirely lost it's appeal.

What I would like to know:

Different Races; Which Races are most suited to which jobs.

Different Jobs; Which jobs do what.

Mounts; I know what they are, I'd just like to know which one goes with which race, and possibly see a picture of them it there's a website that has them.

Monthly Charge; How much is it?

Servers; What server are you guys on, and would you mind giving me a few in-game lessons if I jump in?
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

nihilist

« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2005, 21:22 »

Answer:  Look at Guild Wars.

Otherwise:  Failure.

Tris

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2005, 23:16 »

Nihilist is right..

<3 Guild Wars

Don't bother with World of Warcraft...

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2005, 23:34 »

I've seen WoW, and it looks awesome. I've even messed around with it a little, and it seemed pretty cool. If I could play a demo of this Guild Wars or something then I just might jump in it instead.. I just haven't heard anyone say "HOLYCRAP GUILDWARS!" I've heard lots of people say "HOLYCRAP WoW!"
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

marc_penny88

« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2005, 02:25 »

that is probably due to the fact that guildwars is just as good as World of Warcraft but you dont have to pay for it. i play world of warcraft and i am loving it...... and i have a friend who played the beta for guildwars and loves THAT. so i would say just go with guildwars. but world of warcraft is VERY good :P

So_Effing_l33t

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2005, 03:07 »

The races can pretty much be compatible with any job without penalty...but, some races get bonus abilities that benefit a certain job. For example...a human's bonus to swords and hammers can help him be a better Warrior or Paladin, and a Troll's bonus to throwing weapons can affect his abilities as a Hunter or Rouge.

Jobs do a variety of things...but you have to kinda piece them together. Such as, Mining and Blacksmithing are compatible because you can gather your own metal and then make weapons and armor, and that would fit a Warrior or Paladin. Or, how leatherworking/skinning can make your own light armor for Rouges or magi-classes. The Job-Effect relationship system is very easy and obvious, too...if you wanna learn more, go to their official site: www.blizzard.com

Last I heard, it was 14 bucks a month.

I would teach you, but Im not in quite yet. My friend plays now, though...and I could possibly ask him/her to help you out.

If you got any more questions or specific stuff, Im here to help.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2005, 03:15 »

I'm basically looking for a job that would inflict heavy damage(Preferrably Melee, but I might consider a mage) without having to take the hits. I got my fill of being a meatshield while playing FFXI. I just wish I could get a look at the different models for the different races. x.x

[edit] I keep seeing pictures of people riding gryphons. Is that just a way of getting between cities, or can you fly them to where-ever? [/edit]

marc_penny88

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2005, 03:55 »

the gryphons are for getting from city to city and depending on where it is and whether its a major city or not, the prices can vary

i chose to go a hunter because you can get a pet, that can take the blows for you.

So_Effing_l33t

« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2005, 12:02 »

If you wanna be Melee and preserve health...Paladin is the way you wanna go. That means Alliance only, and you can only choose from Human or Dwarf....but I think its worth it. I've personally LOVED Paladins since WarCraft 2, and the love hasn't faded. I plan on being one myself.

If want to do heavy damage/life preserve...Human Paladin. Not only do Paladins already hit pretty well, Humans get a bonus on Maces and Swords, which are the Paladins most popular arsenal. Not only that, But with their Auras (which defend against elements or increase armor), Healing Spells, and 'Divine Shield' (Immunity from all damage and effect for a short time)...it seems thats the way your pointing. Anything else?

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2005, 14:05 »

What I was looking for was a job that does heavy damaghe without having to worry about getting hit when paired with a good tank. But after seeing those Warlock mounts.. I might be a mage.

Nope. That about covers it.. I'll have to look into this Guild Wars thing, since everyone says it's so great. The monthly subscription fee isn't going to be a problem, is the thing. I'm paying $16/mo for FFXI with 2 characters. So WoW would actually cost me LESS every month. I'll probly just end up finding someone I know who has WoW or Guild Wars and looking at theirs for a while.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Re: So.. World Of Warcraft Questions!
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2005, 19:19 »

(I know there's other threads on this, I'm just too lazy to look them up)

Yep. I'm looking into this game, because FFXI has almost entirely lost it's appeal.

What I would like to know:

Different Races; Which Races are most suited to which jobs.
alliance
night elf
human
dwarf
gnome

horde
troll
orc
undead
tauren
really most races can do all classes well

Different Jobs; Which jobs do what.
did you mean professions or classes?
rogues: melee dps
warrior: tank
paladin: healing 2nd (or 3rd) tank
priest: heal
mage: ranged dps
hunter: not really that useful in instances....can pull aggro off casters with pet so tanks can stay on their job
druid: healer and can do everythign else in other forms
shaman: does everything
warlock: debuff and DoT

Mounts; I know what they are, I'd just like to know which one goes with which race, and possibly see a picture of them it there's a website that has them.
you get them at level 40 and they make you run faster.  the ones at level 60 make you go even faster.

Monthly Charge; How much is it?
15/month or 14ish if you sign up for six months
THINK OF THE SAVINGS
Servers; What server are you guys on, and would you mind giving me a few in-game lessons if I jump in?
im on firetree, and am only a 43 warrior and 16 mage, but ive got gold to spare, a guild, and patience :)

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2005, 00:37 »

Quote from: James
Listen, WoW is great. I love Blizzard, I love the Warcraft universe, yadda yadda YADDA.

The problem is that Guild Wars is a thing of unfathomable beauty, and there are no subscription fees. There's really no choice to make here.
That's right. No choice at all. Because from what I can gather, guild Wars takes about twice the RAM that WoW does. My computer is old, and does not have uber ram. Not does it have an uber processor. It is an old computer that was bought specifically for me to use at college, and the specs of WoW seem to me much more POS friendly.

[edit] Will: What race are you? I'm looking pretty heavy at Undead, because I heart zombies. Also, who could resist riding a zombie horse?[/edit]

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2005, 03:37 »

My warriors a tauren

i think its harder to resist riding a kodo around :)

my mage is a troll :)

Sideways

« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2005, 10:55 »

I've played both.

WoW will give you a more typical MMO experience, and will allow you to play around with races/jobs with more depth.

Guild Wars will give you a much less typical MMO experience (think Diablo 2 meets WoW), and will allow you to have a more 'fast-&-fun' experience.

Guild Wars will stop you at lvl 20... it's the highest level you can (currently achieve) but... as odd as this may sound... lvl 20 is actually where the game REALLY begins.

WoW is a race for the highest level, & best gear.  Guild Wars is all about the skills you use, how you use them, and teamwork.  Sure, there are weapons that are better than others, but there is no single 'uber' item in the game.  Everyone is on a relatively even playing-field, from lvl 1 all the way to lvl 20.  What changes, from group to group, is how good a player you are, and how good your allies are.

I have been in teams where the lvl 7 Monk/Mesmer is a MUCH better ally than the lvl 15 Warrior/Ranger... because the lvl 7 is using skills that compliment themselves better, that aid the team more, and is employing good strategies/tactics in each battle... while the lvl 15 Warrior/Ranger is using crap skills, and running into each battle blindly... often resulting in them requiring a ressurect from the lvl 7!  :)

And that's the other beauty part of Guild Wars; as a lvl 10, it's not uncommon to be in a group full of level 20s... and still be very useful.  The levels don't matter too much in this game.

Even though WoW will run better on most computers, I still stand by Guild Wars as being the game to play.  Zero monthly cost, while still having the MMO experience... plenty of crafting/customization options... and one of the best stories ever in an MMO.

You really become invested in the characters around you, and in the story... you actually start to give a shit about what happens to these NPCs... and you find yourself enjoying helping all these people in side-quests.

With WoW, I found I would enjoy myself for about 5 minutes until some random player ran by me yelling "OMGWTF!!! I AM T3H UB4R!!!!!11one! LOLZ!!!"

Guild wars retains a constant and surreal sense of beauty, and environment.

WoW suffers the fate of all Blizzard online games; a community predominately populated by asshats.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2005, 15:54 »

Every online game will have it's share of asses and bastards. FFXI certainly has more than it's share in some areas.

The biggest thing, like I said, is that my PC simply will not run Guild Wars. Also, the idea of being a human doesn't really appeal to me in a game. I can be human all by myself.

Also, I have a bit fo an affinity for the undead in the Warcraft universe, ad when playing with the undead in WCIII, I have never lost a single game. Granted, I haven't played many, because I am not a RTS type person, but the ones I played were against people who play nothing but RTS and FPS games, so I think that's a bit of a statement.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2005, 17:02 »

be wary that WoW isnt going to run that great on a system that wont run GW at all.

its playable for me, but i cant wait to pretty it up when i get a new computer

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2005, 20:15 »

My computer meets or exceeds all the requirements for WoW, it just doesn't have QUITE enough ram for GW.

And, after looking at both of these games at the store, I'm totally going with WoW.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2005, 20:42 »

neat.

"hit me up" on AIM sometime, if you want.
i can help ya out if youd like
NerfMagikarp

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #18 on: 19 May 2005, 20:53 »

It'll be a few days before I actually get it. I've got to scrape up a bit of cash, since apparently, WoW still retails for $49.99.

Sideways

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2005, 08:24 »

I was trying to think why Guild Wars would require so much more from a computer than WoW does... and then it occurred to me... it's probably because Guild Wars makes WoW look like ass.

:P

tehpie

« Reply #20 on: 20 May 2005, 09:36 »

I can't really help as Guild Wars does not run on my OS (or last I checked), but wouldn't it be cheaper, in the long run, to buy a new computer or more ram, and buy Guild Wars, than attempting to run a low-cut version of WoW? Low cut as in barely passing the requirements. Let's see...

Wow=50 dollars, + 180 a year
Guild Wars = somearound around the same to pick it up? but no sub. fees.

You could get a nice 512mb i bet for 180 dollars. Or after two years, 360 would buy a new computer from dell (not top quality, but probably better than what you have now?)

So, not only by opting to get guild wars instead do you get a great game, but a brand new computer or more ram.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #21 on: 20 May 2005, 13:18 »

Sideways: If you only buy games based on how they look.. go away. Seriously.

tehpie: I'm not actually the one who will be paying the monthly fees. I'm not the one who pays for FFXI. It goes into a long story of me winning a wager with someone, to the tone of $1000, which I am collecting via MMORPG fees. :x

Sideways

« Reply #22 on: 20 May 2005, 13:29 »

Quote from: Something Witty

Woah... woah... calm down!  Yeesh!

All I'm pointing out is why Guild Wars has such high requirements... something I hadn't actually payed much attention to.

Frankly; having played both, Guild Wars having better graphics is the LEAST impressive aspect of the game, when compared to WoW.  It's just a more enjoyable, all-around experience, in my opinion.

There's no need to get touchy about it.

oddball318

« Reply #23 on: 20 May 2005, 13:32 »

If you are looking for a high damage class, go for mage (best burst dps capability) or rogue.  Rogue play style can be pretty twitchy, needs plenty of finesse.  Hunters deal moderate to good damage, and while you are soloing through the levels, the pet you will have can keep the aggro so you dont take the actual hits.

Racial bonuses are designed to be nice to have but not game breaking.  Undead do have a trait which is reaally good for warriors or rogues.  Plus priests have a couple spells given based on race and currently undead and dwarves have the best in that category.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2005, 13:42 »

Quote from: Sideways

Woah... woah... calm down!  Yeesh!

All I'm pointing out is why Guild Wars has such high requirements... something I hadn't actually payed much attention to.

Frankly; having played both, Guild Wars having better graphics is the LEAST impressive aspect of the game, when compared to WoW.  It's just a more enjoyable, all-around experience, in my opinion.

There's no need to get touchy about it.
Sorry. I've known a lot of stupid people who flat out refuse to even look at older games simply because of the way they look. That flat out outrages me, mostly because a lot of the modern games trhat have AWESOME graphics have crap for everything else.

mosfet

« Reply #25 on: 22 May 2005, 18:15 »

Now let me see if I have this straight:

WoW requires a monthly fee.  This I know because I play WoW.

Guild Wars is Free*

Now notice the Asterix?  From what I am hearing its completely free, but its being compared to Magic the Gatherings Business model.  From what I understand you can play for free if you want, but you won't have access to every skill or spell in the game.  So you have to buy "booster packs" to get those.  Is this correct?

On the graphics note, I don't care as much how it looks.  I played UO for 5 years because nothing else was as fun to play.  I still miss it.  :)

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #26 on: 22 May 2005, 18:31 »

Quote from: mosfet
Now notice the Asterix?  From what I am hearing its completely free, but its being compared to Magic the Gatherings Business model.  From what I understand you can play for free if you want, but you won't have access to every skill or spell in the game.  So you have to buy "booster packs" to get those.  Is this correct?

Am I required to buy the expansion packs to continue to play Guild Wars?

No. Every purchase you make in the continuation of the Guild Wars saga will be your choice. If you purchase expansion packs you will gain access to new regions of the world, new skills and abilities, new items, new professions, and much more. If you choose to not purchase a chapter, you will still be able to play the chapters of Guild Wars that you own, and you will have common areas in which you will be able to play with and against your friends who have purchased the other chapter(s).

That's what the GW FAQ says about it.. To me it reads "Yeah. you don't have to, but eventually you'll dead-end if you choose not to."  I really do not like the sound of it, my self. So I'm gonna go grab a copy of WoW either today or tomorrow.

Dudette634

« Reply #27 on: 22 May 2005, 23:38 »

Do u know someone who has WoW? They can give u the ten day free pass if u wanted to just try it first. I haven't started playing the game yet. I was thinking about it cuz my bf really wants me to and said he would give me his ten day free pass. Just a thought if u wanted to check out the world and character things before making the big purchase.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2005, 03:30 »

I would love to do a 10-day trial, but no one I know locally plays WoW. Plus, I'm only going to be paying for 1/2 of the game, since my brother also wants it.

rejis

« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2005, 14:21 »

WoW is worth the monthly charge.  I pre-ordered GW and played in a couple of the beta events and it just seemed to be missing something.  I have been trying to get myself to play GW since it's paid for but I just feel like I could be having such a better time playing WoW!

SeanBateman

« Reply #30 on: 24 May 2005, 16:33 »

Wow is really kind of super amazing. There have been a couple of times when I got kind of sick of it for a second, but it always drags me back in. Plus, it runs on mac:D. But seriously, if you are going to play, play PvP, and if you're Alliance, play on Tichondrius, Horde play on Frostwolf. I'm starting a character on there today, so we can start a QC club.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2005, 18:58 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
Wow is really kind of super amazing. There have been a couple of times when I got kind of sick of it for a second, but it always drags me back in. Plus, it runs on mac:D. But seriously, if you are going to play, play PvP, and if you're Alliance, play on Tichondrius, Horde play on Frostwolf. I'm starting a character on there today, so we can start a QC club.

play horde side firetree  :)

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #32 on: 24 May 2005, 19:05 »

Yeah, that way the three of us can get together and destroy all who oppose us, when/if I ever manage to get up to the store. ><

SeanBateman

« Reply #33 on: 24 May 2005, 19:57 »

What level are you on Firetree though, will? Cuz my friend just hit 60 on frostwolf

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #34 on: 24 May 2005, 20:08 »

44 warrior witha bout a bar and a half of resp exp and level 16 mage

well if youve got a good friend then go ahead, but yah :p just let me know :)

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #35 on: 24 May 2005, 21:08 »

Hm. I imagine I'll end up flipping a coin when it gets right down to it. Or choose based on which realm has the highest pop.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #36 on: 24 May 2005, 21:17 »

essentially what it boils down to is whether you want/have time to play a full MMORPG (ala EQ, FFXI, WoW) or if you want to play an action RPG (Diablo 2, NWN, GuildWars).

i have decided that i don't have the time to play an MMORPG in the way that i would like to play it (seeing as i am a perfectionist and need to do everything) so i'm playing an action RPG instead.

if you do have the time to play, then WoW certainly looks like the best fantasy MMORPG at the moment

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #37 on: 24 May 2005, 21:23 »

I'm going to have about two and a half full months to play it at any time I wish.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #38 on: 25 May 2005, 09:38 »

It'll be a few days before I actually get it. I've got to scrape up a bit of cash, since apparently, WoW still retails for $49.99.

yet i bought guild wars for just 17 pounds

edit: i dont mean to turn this thread into a eww WoW thread

i mean, i love blizzard, but money is the key

that and the fact i prefer the people on guild wars

AND im still hooked from the beta

if the monthly fees ever disappear from wow, ill be getting it
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #39 on: 25 May 2005, 09:40 »

A pound is what? $2.50US? 17x2.50=~$45.

Either way, both games sell of $49.99US 'round these parts. :P

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #40 on: 30 May 2005, 02:25 »

Hurrr. WoW is teh secks. (I blame the fact that I've been playing it nonstop since I got it at 10:00 PM. It is now 4:30 AM)

[edit] is now 8:00 AM. Still playing.

Server: Firetree
Race: Undead
Job Class: Warlock
Race: Undead
[/edit]
Pages: [1]   Go Up