THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 05:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloom County  (Read 5455 times)

Katie 80

Bloom County
« on: 07 Jun 2005, 16:06 »

I know this is a bit odd to post on a QC forum, but I thought the fact that Jeph referenced Bloom County once a million years ago might mean that there are other Bloom County fans reading this.  That being said, does anyone remember the strip where Opus draws comic strips, and he doesn't know what to call himself, as "cartoonist" implies moving pictures, and eventually settles on the term "comic stripper"?  I'd really like a copy of that strip.  I went to a Borders Books about an hour ago and the clerks had never even heard of Bloom County.  It made me very sad :(

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Primate

Bloom County
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jun 2005, 05:52 »

I do remember that strip, but I don't think I have the book it was in. I only have about have the Bloom County books and even less of the ones for Outland. Comic strip books usually have a finite shelf life, and Bloom County is partially topical humor, which makes its lifespan even shorter. Breathed has an official website that suggests that most of the titles are Amazon available.

Bloom County is one of the two strips whose content style I've ripped off, the other being the one Bloom County started by ripping off, Doonesbury.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Bloom County
« Reply #2 on: 08 Jun 2005, 09:23 »

THHHHBBBTTT!!
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Bloom County
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jun 2005, 12:24 »

I have the book it's in, I'll try to scan it for you some time.
also israel

SeanBateman

Bloom County
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jun 2005, 20:24 »

ack! thptt

Bloom Country, Outland, And Opus are all great.
Long live Cutter John

ThinkDifferent

Bloom County
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jun 2005, 02:46 »

Ah, Bloom County. One of the true greats of cartoons. Right up there with Peanuts, C&H and Doonesbury.

It is pretty damned hard to find it in book form, though, unfortunately. Same with Berke's other creations.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
Bloom County
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jun 2005, 03:21 »

I bought the whole collection for 10c apiece at a yard sale.

Fuckin' rawk.
also israel

Primate

Bloom County
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jun 2005, 05:12 »

Opus (the Sunday strips, not the character) hasn't really done much for me. It feels too much like Breathed is demanding more space requirements for the strip than his peers, and that its once a week nature keeps it from building up any decent story arcs. I will admit its prettier, but the treat of a daily comic was something I loved about it. I'd probably be happier reading them in a book, where I could get them back to back.

Katie 80

Bloom County
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jun 2005, 06:47 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
I have the book it's in, I'll try to scan it for you some time.

That would be SWEET :)

Digs

Bloom County
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jun 2005, 07:27 »

I was kind of hoping this would be like that Calvin and Hobbes thread from some time back.

Oop-ack.

lb969

Bloom County
« Reply #10 on: 09 Jun 2005, 18:04 »

Living in bloom county, I have ALL the comic strips...

Berkeley Breathed was a true comedic genius.

Jarne

Bloom County
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jun 2005, 18:15 »

My only regret was that I learned to read AFTER it stopped being run. Actually, I only found out about Bloom County reading through my dads books that he had. But I love it.
I'm still upset that the Boingers broke up.

Katie 80

Bloom County
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2005, 06:28 »

Quote from: lb969
Living in bloom county, I have ALL the comic strips...

Hawt.

Have you a scanner? :)

Katie 80

Bloom County
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2005, 06:31 »

Quote from: Jarne
My only regret was that I learned to read AFTER it stopped being run. Actually, I only found out about Bloom County reading through my dads books that he had. But I love it.
I'm still upset that the Boingers broke up.

I barely remember Bloom County from the paper, although I did read Outland.  My love for Berke Breathed started when I was bored at my then-boyfriend's apartment and I found his roommate's Bloom County books in the living room.  After that, I read a little from one of the books each time I went over there.  They're SO GOOD.

Sideways

Bloom County
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jun 2005, 07:32 »

Katie, I think it's at least 4 different kinds of awesome that you have an 'Undergrads' avatar.

I LOVED that show!

Katie 80

Bloom County
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2005, 20:43 »

Quote from: Sideways
Katie, I think it's at least 4 different kinds of awesome that you have an 'Undergrads' avatar.

I LOVED that show!

Heh, thanks.  My friend Nick and I dressed up like Nitz and Jessie while we were dating a few years ago -- check it out.

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
Bloom County
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2005, 11:08 »

"Bill, are you angry that we turned you in to the Betty Ford clinic, where you were forced to take part in primal scream therapy with Liz Taylor?"
"THPPPT BWACHK! Oop-ack!"
"He's upset."

I love that comic.
Click Here!
Pages: [1]   Go Up