THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 02:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Making Programs  (Read 5566 times)

screw osmosis

Music Making Programs
« on: 06 Jul 2005, 12:51 »

I'm quite sure that a good number of you use/may have used some kind of electronic music making program thing. With summer kicking in, I really need something to keep me busy and I'd love to make music on my computer. Are there any good downloads for this kind of thing you peope might recommend? (No fruityloops)

You score extra points if the thing isn't a free trial and I can download and use as I please.

That is all.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Music Making Programs
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul 2005, 12:54 »

Just stea...buy fruityloops.

Seriously, it rocks most else.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

zekterellium

Music Making Programs
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jul 2005, 12:55 »

rebirth. it's wonderful.

Radiowar

• Obscure cultural reference
    • my music
Music Making Programs
« Reply #3 on: 07 Jul 2005, 16:27 »

I second the fruityloops thing. It's good.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Music Making Programs
« Reply #4 on: 07 Jul 2005, 16:32 »

I just made* an album using only fruityloops, audacity and a microphone.

Expect postings soon!

*As in, spent a year making, I didn't just chuck it together this evening after I watched Time Team.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Shibboleth

Music Making Programs
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul 2005, 16:41 »

Quote from: zekterellium
rebirth. it's wonderful.

Rebirth is pretty damn good. But it just wilts completely under the immense awesomeness of Reason. http://www.propellerheads.se

Carebear Nihilist

Music Making Programs
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2005, 17:03 »

I have Acid Pro, Cool Edit, Fruity Loops, Orion Pro, and Soundforge. I love playing with music and making stuff and really it's a matter of preference. I use Soundforge to edit things I record to my liking, Orion Pro to make loops, and Acid to throw it all together. I really want to try Reason, I'm just having alot of trouble cracking it. And by that I mean um, getting the money to buy it, yeah.

mechorg

Music Making Programs
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jul 2005, 18:26 »

Quote from: Carebear Nihilist
I have Acid Pro, Cool Edit, Fruity Loops, Orion Pro, and Soundforge. I love playing with music and making stuff and really it's a matter of preference. I use Soundforge to edit things I record to my liking, Orion Pro to make loops, and Acid to throw it all together. I really want to try Reason, I'm just having alot of trouble cracking it. And by that I mean um, getting the money to buy it, yeah.

All very good programs that I've used and work nicely when used together.  Reason does trump all, but its pretty complicated to use if you don't know what you are doing.  I also use a fun program called FractMus that most nobody has ever heard of, which is why its fun to use.

Scratch that, ProTools trumps all.  Too bad I don't have it at home...

thermodynamics

Music Making Programs
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jul 2005, 21:17 »

i have tried many different things (i currently have: soundforge, reason, fruityloops, rebirth, cool edit pro) but i always find myself coming back to fruityloops. i don;t know why. of course, i use a shitload of vst plugins in fruityloops 4 studioedition (like native instruments b-4 and pro53 modelers as well as arp 2600 emulators, ect... i could go on... but the point is, if you figure out how, you can do some nice things with FL.

ASturge

Music Making Programs
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jul 2005, 10:41 »

I sto.... bought SONAR 4. But that is for real recordings rather then synth and midi stuff.

Fruity loops, another program I bought, is quite good i must agree.

lb969

Music Making Programs
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jul 2005, 19:04 »

Awkward, Xp can install Music Maker from Microsoft, its a nice program and will make MP3's. It uses a sectioned type interface(track1 guitar, track2 bass ETC...) that makes composition fairly easy.

Radiowar

• Obscure cultural reference
    • my music
Music Making Programs
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jul 2005, 20:39 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I just made* an album using only fruityloops, audacity and a microphone.

I made one using only Fruityloops and Windows Sound Recorder and a microphone. I am hardcore.

Patatat

Music Making Programs
« Reply #12 on: 08 Jul 2005, 21:01 »

I used FruityLoops...I couldn't figure out a damn thing. All I could even figure out how to use was just something that made weird noises, and I couldn't even pick the beat. Only preassembled ones. It was hard, and so far a waste of my time to st...buy.

MilkmanDan

Music Making Programs
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jul 2005, 06:16 »

Ableton Live for life.
Fuck 'Apply audio effect', wait a minute while my shitty computer processes everything, tweak it, wait again. It's all realtime, baby!

Kanno

Music Making Programs
« Reply #14 on: 10 Jul 2005, 11:20 »

For Mac:  Pro Tools is the best.  Evar.  Garageband is pretty cool too, and free.  Digital Performer is great too, but more for MIDI applications.  Same with Logic Pro.

For cheaper stuff, the mac community has a ton of shareware.  I've run across a few pretty good multitrack audio recorders lying around the interweb.  Search and dest... err, find!

For PC:  No clue, I don't mess with em.
Pages: [1]   Go Up