THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: OAO: Mix Tape Trade Response Thread  (Read 35249 times)

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
OAO: Mix Tape Trade Response Thread
« Reply #100 on: 31 May 2005, 18:20 »

Hehe, man this bandwagon's gonna get HUGE next time around, I'm sure of it.  I feel like I should get a t-shirt made saying "Q.C. mix tape thread - founding member".

Revenge_Therapist

« Reply #101 on: 31 May 2005, 18:27 »

Yeah when I posted the first one I expected like three people. I was so gloriously over joyed when a mod took over the pairing up, and that so many peiple dug it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #102 on: 31 May 2005, 22:45 »

And my mix-tape, and it's evil twin, are finally off into the big wide world!
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

El Opium

« Reply #103 on: 01 Jun 2005, 14:29 »

Just got my tape from A Pack Of Wolves yesterday. Tracks:
Side A-Can You Fly Bobby
Oxes-Your Street Versus Wall Street
Orrin De Forest-Orrin De Forest Will Kick Your Ass Motherfucker
Three Studies For A Crucifiction-Right Angle Restraint
Local-Peter's Projection
Melt Banana-Section Eight
The Lack-6
The USA Is A Monster-Anal Lies
Guyana Punch Line-Home Fucking Is Killing Prostitution
Thorr's Hammer-Troll
David Thomas K Foreigners-Charlotte
Rabih Abou-Khalil-Jordan de Chine
Spy Vs. Spy-Helpless, sign in please
Rorschach-In Ruins

Side B-I'd Buy That For a Dollar
Against Me!-Cliche Guevara
Black Flag-My War
The Avenging Disco Godfathers of Soul-Robots Among Us
John Wiese-Whale
Minutemen-Courage
Narcosis-Close Your Eyes
Amber Inn-Hint Taken
The Mock Heroic-An Example of the Song as the Prison
Fig 9.0-Millenium Mosh Manifesto
Trencher-Attack of the sXe attackers
Orthrelm-Untitled #5
XBXRX-Track 1
Soeza-Death of a Family
Knifed-Fuck Dublin
The Scissor Girls-Noster Virus
Man Is The Bastard-Margin for Disintegration
Submission Hold-Tuesday Evening at the Dinner Table
Ivor Cutler-Vein Girl

The main theme of this tape was hardcore with a bit of noise thrown in. Personal favorites from the tape: Oxes, Thorr's Hammer, Minutemen,Man is the Bastard, Submission Hold.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #104 on: 01 Jun 2005, 17:22 »

Ah, I thought with what you seem to listen to that Man Is The Bastard Noise might go down well. I do love that track. I'm glad you liked some of it, and that it finally decided to show up. And you enjoyed Submission Hold and the Minutemen too, which pleases me since they're two of my favourite bands. Mint!

I've pretty much given up hope that the person doing my tape is going to send one. They don't seem to have been on the boards in weeks. Oh well, hopefully I'll have better luck next time.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

c1utch

« Reply #105 on: 01 Jun 2005, 19:05 »

so toastess, have any thoughts on my mix yet for us?

Also, I am still sans tape, hopefully it will coome soon!  I know its been in the mail for over a week, so...

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #106 on: 01 Jun 2005, 21:21 »

I am sad! Next time I will hire a not-drunk charter pilot! Boy I've been burned by THAT before.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #107 on: 02 Jun 2005, 09:44 »

Quote from: c1utch
so toastess, have any thoughts on my mix yet for us?

eeeeee i'm working on it.... my computer kind of died for several days so i've only been able to listen to bits of it on my way to and from work. it's fixed now though! so i will sit down and type up some thoughts for you soon. ^_^
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

pistachio

« Reply #108 on: 02 Jun 2005, 22:26 »

I love getting mail! especially long awaited super-sexy mixes from random people I dont even know! Considereing I just got home from work and I have to go to bed so that I can get up at 4:30 in the morning and go to work again I haven't had/don't have much time to listen to to it. so I will post comments later.
In the mean time, Track List:

1. Stretch Armstrong - 'For the Record'
2. With Honor - 'Gun for Hire'
3.Thrice - 'Deadbolt'
4.The Risk Taken - 'My Last Midnight'
5. The Dillinger Escape Plan - 'Phone Home'
6. Poison the Well - 'Ghostchant'
7. Misery Signals - 'Difference of Vengeance and Wrongs'
8. Funeral for a Friend - 'The Art of American Football'
9. Every Time I Die - 'I Been Gone Too Long'
10. Norma Jean - 'Bayonetwork: Vultures In Vivid Color'
11. The Showdown - 'Iscariot'
12. Unearth - 'Black Hearts Now Reign'
13. Between the Buried and Me - 'Ad a Dglgmut'
14. Darkest Hour - 'Vertas, Aequitas'

so yeah.. sometime this weekend.. I'll let you guys know what i think... but at this point, Im just so excited about new music that I probably won't post pone this whole listening thing too long. :) YAY!

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #109 on: 03 Jun 2005, 01:21 »

Oh, man. My band played its first real show yesterday, but in terms of nervosity, this is worse. :)

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #110 on: 03 Jun 2005, 17:27 »

Hey Mnementh, didn't you get a mix C.D. from some fella in Australia the other day?  Did you love it or hate it?  The public needs to know!!

Mnementh

« Reply #111 on: 03 Jun 2005, 19:24 »

I like it!  The tracklisting you put together is amazing.  I must say that when I opened it I was excited to see that someone else likes has heard of Iris DeMent.  That's something that brings me back to saturday mornings when I was younger, my mother would have that on her stereo as she fried the bacon and eggs.

I'm not one to really evaluate tracks on their technical merits, so we can skip that part.    If pressed to pick a least favourite I'd have trouble.  A fair amount of the tracks are subtly political.  

On last comment, VulgarGrad is ska, and ska like it was meant to be done, none of this third wave stuff, but old school.

The accompanying track listing is incredibly descriptive, if you still have it saved you should post it here.

Without further ado:

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #112 on: 03 Jun 2005, 19:41 »

Ahh, I'm glad you liked it.  Yeah, VulgarGrad are pretty damned awesome, though that's pretty much the only ska tune they do.  They only formed earlier this year and have built up a big cult following in Melbourne amazingly quickly, though unfortunately they're on hiatus for a few months while the lead singer is in Poland.  I was lucky enough to pick up the C.D. at their last show.  Try to imagine about 100 people crammed into a tiny bar all dancing madly to that tune!

Anyway, for those who are interested here are the track details I compiled - all four and a half pages of it.  Feel free to skim!

1) Franz Liszt: "Ave Maria d’Arcadelt"
Phillip Thomson: piano
From The Complete Piano Music, volume 4 (1995)

In addition to being a great composer, Liszt was also a wonderful arranger of other people’s compositions. – in this instance, of a piece by Jacob Arcadelt, a Dutch composer of the 16th century.  Liszt struggled with his Catholicism throughout his life, and in true Romantic fashion expressed his inner turmoil in his art.  When I listen (or, indeed, play) this piece of music, it’s as if I can hear Liszt’s struggle to resolve his doubts and anguish, and the result is something truly beautiful.

2) Darren Hanlon: "Hiccups" (Hanlon)
Darren Hanlon: lead vocals, guitar, banjo
Lee Hillam: backing vocals
Geoff Towner: bass guitar
Bree van Reyk: drums, vibraphone
From Hello Stranger (2002)

Darren Hanlon is one of my favourite singer-songwriters.  His wit and love of words – not to mention his seemingly effortless talent for writing simple, catchy melodies – can be clearly heard throughout this song, which is a crowd favourite whenever he performs.  He’s also one of the all-too-few Australian artists who sings in his native accent.

3) The Sundays: "Can’t Be Sure" (Gavurin/Wheeler)
Harriet Wheeler: lead vocals
David Gavurin: guitar
Paul Brindley: bass
Patrick Hannan: drums
From Reading, Writing and Arithmetic (1990)

Possibly one of the best pop bands ever – and this song is from what is certainly one of the greatest pop albums.  The Sundays virtually defined the modern indie-pop sound way back in 1990 with songs such as this one.  A special moment to listen out for is when the drums finally kick in in full and the whole song opens up like a flower.

4) Sam Cooke: "Chain Gang" (Cooke)
Sam Cooke: lead vocals
others unknown
From One Night Stand: Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963 (1963)

One of the earliest soul stars, and one of the greatest.  Sam Cooke was Otis Redding’s favourite singer, and judging by the reaction of the audience in this recording from a club in Florida in the early ’60s, Redding wasn’t alone in that opinion.  Cooke’s studio recordings are generally much more polished affairs – but this is the singer in his element and at his best.  Like Redding, Cooke died tragically young: in 1964 he was shot by the manager of a hotel in Los Angeles.

5) Deborah Conway: "Buried Treasure" (Conway)
Deborah Conway: lead vocals, guitar
Willy Zygier: guitar, backing vocals
Bill McDonald: bass
Michael Barker: drums
From Epic Theatre (Limited edition release with the album Bitch Epic) (1994)

I’m a sucker for a good live album, and this has long been one of my favourite performances, from one of my favourite albums.  Deborah Conway has been around on the Australian music scene since the ’80s, when she was part of the group Do Re Mi.  Her tough yet cheeky image is perfectly captured in this song.

6) The Waterboys: "Old England" (Scott)
Mike Scott: lead vocals, electric piano
Anthony Thistlethwaite: tenor saxophone
Steve Wickham: fiddle
Trevor Hutchinson: bass
Dave Ruffy: drums
From The Live Adventures of the Waterboys (released 1998 – recorded 1986)

Recorded live at the Glastonbury Festival in 1986, when the Waterboys were at the height of their popularity.  The Thatcher years in Britain produced a lot of great protest songs, and you could be forgiven for thinking when you first hear the intro on electric piano that this is going to be in the worst tradition of stiff and earnest calls to arms.  But then, in a moment of sheer musical brilliance, the drums and the bass enter when you least expect them to, shifting the whole rhythm of the song sideways and making it impossible not dance along.  Lyrically this is one of Mike Scott’s strongest songs – particularly the 4th verse, which builds to a damning indictment of English society in the 1980s.  This performance is simply amazing.

7) Underground Lovers: "Dream It Down" (Bennie/Giarrusso)
Maurice Argiro
Glenn Bennie
Vincent Giarrusso
Philippa Nihill
Derek J. Yuen
precise credits unknown
From Dream It Down (1994)

The title-track from what I think is one of the best Australian albums of the 1990s.  The Underground Lovers were a much-loved Melbourne band whose members have since gone on to various solo recording projects and – in one case – even the directing of a feature film.

8) Vincenzo Bellini: "Ah!  Non Credea Mirarti"
Maria Callas: soprano
Nicola Monti: tenor
Orchestra del Teatro alla Scala, Milan
Antonino Votto: conductor
From La Sonnambula (1957)

I first heard this when I went to see Atlantis, a documentary about marine life by Luc Besson.  The majority of that film was scored with god-awful rock/pop songs composed specially for the film – and then, in one scene, out of the mire rises this beautiful music by Bellini.  Maria Callas’s singing voice was by no means perfect, but it had a wonderful humanity that leant an extraordinary depth of emotion to whatever she sang.  Bellini’s operas are pretty silly, really – La Sonnambula is all about a sleep-walking young woman who is mistaken for a ghost – but he could sure write a lovely melody.

9) Billy Bragg: "Everywhere" (Trooper/Griffin)
Billy Bragg: vocals, guitar
Peter Buck: mandolin
Elliet Mackrell: violin
Cara Tivey: piano
Wiggy: bass
From Don’t Try This At Home (1991)

You must have known you'd be getting this one!  One of those songs that gets you right in the gut.  It’s not afraid to be complex about how it deals with war (note the line “I believe to be here is right”), and it’s all the more powerful because of that.

10) David Beniuk: "In Goulburn" (Beniuk)
David Beniuk: vocals, guitar
From Port (1996)

A terrific singer-songwriter from Wollongong, New South Wales.  Goulburn is a country town about 200 kilometres south-east of Sydney, and it’s best known for two things: the Big Merino (a giant concrete statue of a merino ram) – and the Goulburn jail.  In the best tradition of protest/folk music, this song manages to elicit the listener’s sympathy for somebody – a prison inmate – who would not normally be given a second thought; in other words, it humanises the character.  This is done not only through describing the prisoner’s hardships, but also in revealing how far he’s fallen (at one point in the song the character laments “I played for Parramatta” – referring to the Parramatta Eels, a first-grade rugby league team from the working-class Western Suburbs of Sydney), while never flinching from his flaws (“I’ve got a wife, a girlfriend and three kids”).

11) Billie Holiday: "On the Sentimental Side" (Burke/Monaco)
Billie Holiday: vocals
Buck Clayton: trumpet
Benny Morton: trombone
Lester Young: tenor saxophone
Teddy Wilson: piano
Eddie Durham: guitar
Walter Page: bass
Jo Jones: drums
From Lady Day – the Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia 1933-1944, disc 4 (released 2001 – recorded 1938)

Not one of her more famous performances, but my absolute favourite.  It’s so intimate, with just Holiday accompanied by a guitar (the full band doesn’t come in until right at the end).  A special moment is when Benny Morton steps up to the microphone for a beautifully simple trombone solo – it’s not much more than just a run-through of the song’s melody, but just listen to how he plays it!  The guitar here is played by Eddie Durham (also a fine trombone player), who was one of the very first musicians to start experimenting with creating electric guitars way back in the ’30s.

12) Iris DeMent: "Our Town" (DeMent)
Iris DeMent: vocals, guitar
Mark Howard: guitar
Stuart Duncan: fiddle
Pete Wasner: piano
Al Perkins: dobro
Roy Husky, Jr.: bass
From Infamous Angel (1992)

Pure, classic country – real country, that is.  I (along with many other people) first heard this song when it was featured in the final episode of Northern Exposure.  For the next 10-odd years it resided in my mind as just the merest memory of something beautiful, until earlier this year a throwaway remark in a review of DeMent’s latest album finally answered my question: “Who sang that song?”  All this time later, it’s still as perfect as I remember it being.

13) Miles Davis Quintet: "Bye Bye Blackbird" (M. Dixon/R. Henderson)
Miles Davis: trumpet
John Coltrane: tenor saxophone
Red Garland: piano
Paul Chambers: bass
“Philly” Joe Jones: drums
From ’Round About Midnight (1956)

This is the perfect jazz performance, from one of the great jazz groups of all time.  This, the first Miles Davis Quintet, was together for barely a year, yet in that time they managed to record no less than six albums.  This tune is from their final album, and is – in my opinion – the pinnacle of their output.  This was the most perfectly balanced and contrasted of bands: the most famous aspect of it is the partnership between the introspective yet self-confident Davis and the extroverted yet still slightly uncertain Coltrane; but (as with all great bands) the foundation lies in the brilliant rhythm-section.  Garland, Chambers, and Jones function as a perfectly integrated unit, and yet all three players – indeed, all five players – have distinctive musical personalities.  For me, a (lapsed) piano player, the highlight of this recording comes after Davis and Coltrane have taken their solos, when Garland plays what is my favourite piano solo in all of jazz.

14) Elle Osborne: "Still I Love Him" (Trad. arr. Osborne/additional words Osborne)
Elle Osborne: vocals, fiddle
From Testimony (1999)

Proof that not all folk music is deadly earnest!  As with David Beniuk, I first saw Elle Osborne when she performed at the National Folk Festival in Canberra about five years ago.  She’s an English folk musician who, on stage at least, plays fiddle and sings simultaneously – no mean feat!  The enjoyment she so clearly gets from reviving old folk songs is infectious.  And it’s pronounced “Elly”!

15) X: "The World’s a Mess; It’s In My Kiss" (Doe/Cervenka)
John Doe: vocals, bass
Exene Cervenka: vocals
Billy Zoom: guitar
D.J. Bonebrake: drums
Ray Manzarek: organ
From Los Angeles

Back when they made real punks on the West Coast!  X were one of the classic bands from the original punk era, documenting life on the fringes of Los Angeles, their adopted home town: this song comes from their debut album, which over the course of nine tracks covers topics as diverse as date-rape, suburbia, and the gay cruising scene.  The album was produced by Ray Manzarek of the Doors fame, who was a great champion of the band in its early days and who even played organ on a couple of their tracks – including this one.

16) Desmond Dekker: "Get Up Edina" (Dekker)
Desmond Dekker: vocals
others unknown
From Israelites: Anthology 1963-1999 (released 2001 – recorded 1963)

The King of Ska.  Dekker became friends with Bob Marley while both were working at Standard Engineering in Kingston – but with or without youthful links to Marley, Dekker’s work stands on its own.  His most famous song is probably Israelites; Get Up Edina is not one of his better-known performances but it’s a highlight for me.

17) VulgarGrad: "Anarchy is Our Mother" (Tsoy)
Jacek Koman: vocals
Andrew Tanner: bass balalaika, backing vocals
Svetlana Bunic: MIDI organ, backing vocals
Renato Vacirca: drums, backing vocals
Ros Jones: trombone, trumpet, backing vocals
Nara Demasson: guitar, backing vocals
From VulgarGrad: Popular Songs of the Russian Underclass (2005)

A little taste of the Melbourne music scene for you.  VulgarGrad are a local band who formed earlier this year and have quickly built up a sizeable cult following.  The singer is a well-known actor of Polish origin; and the trombone-player and the drummer are both friends of mine!  This song describes how a soldier, walking home one night, happens upon a group of young men drinking and swearing and generally carrying on.  On demanding to know who their mother is, they reply: “Anarchy is our mother, and our father is a glass of port!”

18) The Four Tops: "I Got a Feeling" (Holland/Dozier/Holland)
Levi Stubbs: lead vocals
Renaldo “Obie” Benson: backing vocals
Lawrence Payton: backing vocals
Abdul “Duke” Fakir: backing vocals
others unknown
From On Top (1966)

Forget the Temtations, forget the Supremes – for me, the best group at Motown was “the Tops”.  Levi Stubbs’ voice simply oozes soul, and the group never underwent a line-up change or had to deal with an out-of-control ego.  Amazingly, “I Got a Feeling” wasn’t released as a single, making it only to the b-side of “Bernadette”, a single off the next album.  One of the great lost treasures of the Motown library.

jeremy

« Reply #113 on: 03 Jun 2005, 21:42 »

Inlander: If you don't already know, the song "Anarchy is our mother" is a cover of the famous Soviet underground new wave band Kino. They recorded it in 1986,  as a humourous take on the Sex Pistols! That's why the lyrics are so ridiculous. It's a great tune, and I'm pretty happy to know that somebody else realizes it, even though I've never heard of Vulgargrad (nice name, too...hahaha). If Vulgargrad's singer is Polish, then it's not really surprising that they would cover this song, since Kino (and in particular their leader, Victor Tsoi) have attained a legendary status not only in Russia but throughout the whole east bloc. Moscow punk band Naive also covered this song on one of their recent albums.

Not sure if I could take it as a ska tune, but hey...to each their own.

"Mama anarhiya - papa stakan portveinu!" =)

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #114 on: 03 Jun 2005, 21:49 »

Thanks for the info, jeremy.  I knew it was a cover - VulgarGrad's whole repertoire is a mixture of covers and traditional songs - but I didn't know who did the original.  It's not surprising you haven't heard of VulgarGrad: they've only been around for a few months and they're very much a cult band within the (very small) confines of Fitzroy, here in Melbourne.  Their C.D. was, I think, self-financed and limited to a very small number of copies sold at one of their shows.

And trust me, it works very well as a ska tune.  I'd be happy to email it to you if you're interested.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #115 on: 05 Jun 2005, 22:36 »

Got my cds yet, Brittany?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

jeremy

« Reply #116 on: 08 Jun 2005, 02:09 »

I got my mix cd from El Opium yesterday, and just had the time to sit down and give it the attention it deserves.

First, I must say, the packaging is very cool. Handpainted cardboard with velcro clasps. And it's nice to get a bit of info on each artist/track on the included tracklist.

I am familiar with Dead C (better than I remembered) and Sonic Youth (about the same as I remembered, and I still don't like them), but the others are all new to me.

The Swans track didn't do anything for me. I'll have to check out some of their earlier material, as they certainly seem like the sort of thing I'd be pretty impressed by if only they were a bit wilder.

I liked The Fire Show's use of strings, but not the use of distorted vocals or whatever the hell that effect is on the vocalist's voice on the first line. I dunno. Too many bad memories of early/mid 90's alt-rock crap like Filter or whatever. I know that has nothing to do with this song/band, so...moving on...the vocalist's voice is pretty annoying. And maybe it doesn't help when he's singing "I'm soft inside / I'm not so ba-aa-aa-aad." Uh...yeah, I'm sure your mom says your cool, but I'll just have to take her word on it.

The Empty Flow...a Finnish band, although it's not exactly a sound that I associate with that country. It's kinda nice to hear something a bit different from Reindeerland, but on the other hand I really can't like this. It does remind me of the Cure (as El Opium noted), but unfortunately I don't like the Cure. It is all very pretty.

Circle (also from Finland) would be a hell of a lot better if the vocals didn't annoy the hell out of me. I really enjoy the Finnish language set to rock music, which I suppose is what this is, but this is missing the sort of frantic delivery I think makes Finnish rock so much fun. Of course, I'm more likely to pick up an Eppu Normaali record or something before any Finnish prog rock. Still, I'm glad I was exposed to this, in the same way that I'm glad I was made to read James Joyce when I was in high school, even though I know I'll probably never read him again.

Skullflower: Hey, this is neat! A big droning noise and repetative riff. And no vocalist to ruin it. I could do without the little two-note lead guitar bits that pop in and out, but even those fit in with the overall concept, so they don't distract too much. If I got stoned, I'd listen to this in the process.

Lau Nau: No! No, baby-voiced Finnish woman with wimpy harmonies and sparse acoustic guitar accompaniment (which gives me nothing to focus on when she starts in with her howler monkey impersonation at about 3:42)! If I want a woman playing solo acoustic guitar and singing, I'll listen to some Yanka Dyagileva. At least she had some fucking cajones.

Pan Sonic: I don't like techno. Ever. Sorry. Why is this song 7 minutes long?!

Le Fly Pan Am: I'm sure glad I don't know who Godspeed You Black Emperor are, or else I might be prejudiced in listening to this track. As it is, I don't like this. It seems like they shoved as much random crap as they could on top of what would've been a very lackluster song to make...a very lackluster song with a bunch of random crap going on over the top of it! Meh.

Yellow Swans: I swear to god my washer made this exact same noise last time I tried to wash all my bedding at once. You see, if you overload it or load it unevenly, it starts freaking out, throwing clothes all around, splashing water everywhere, and...whew. It's a big mess. I should've known better.

Gang Wizard: Hey, this DOES sound quite a bit like Dead C. That's pretty neat. More close to home, they also remind me of a California (I think) band that were active in the mid-90's called Monoshock. Monoshock put out one really, really amazing double LP in about 1996 called "Walk To The Fire." It is MUCH better than this, but I stupidly sold my copy about 5 years ago. I wish I could find it again. Damn this track for reminding me of it! (though I did enjoy it a bit)

Slowdive: If a song runs for 6 minutes, shouldn't it go somewhere? I mean, I could see this being given away in every 100th bottle of Nyquil or something, but other than that...what purpose does this sort of music serve? It's not really BAD, but if I played it around my girlfriend, it would depress us both, and she would call me a pussy. And she would be right. Not because music has anything to do with a person's masculinity or femininity, but because this really does sound like if that guy from Oasis fronted PM Dawn, and that's the most sappy movie love-scene sort of music I can imagine. I listen to a lot of what I guess could be termed "wimpy" stuff (new wave, mostly), but this just strikes me as schmaltzy. And that's a word at 1:51 in the morning. That's the word for this.

Charalambides: Before the vocals come in, the music reminds me of the original music in "Amores Perros." That's a great film. This song is not so good. When the vocals start, I sorta cringe because it reminds me of the Finnish lady warbler earlier on the CD. The difference being that there aren't any real words in this, just a lot of "oos" and "ahhs." OK, it is kinda sweet that they're made up of a husband and wife duo. Hmmm. Scratch that. Ex-husband and wife duo. I'm not making a joke out of that, but I will say that I don't really like or hate this song, but it does make me think that I could think of many better songs I could listen to with the nine minutes and forty-two seconds of my life that this song took up. Ah well.

In conclusion: I genuinely liked three songs. A lot of the mix seemed geared towards the pretty and dreamy end of things, which isn't bad, but certainly isn't the sort of thing I can listen to on a regular basis. And the loud and noisy tracks, while providing a nice counterbalance to the soft stuff, generally don't have the staying power to stick in my head once they're done. Maybe I just have an enormously thick head. I will say that El Opium did a great job with the packaging, track sequencing and variety of the material. A lot of it wasn't to my taste, but that's okay. My tastes are pretty unpredictable, so I'm just glad I found at least a few  tracks enjoyable. Thanks, El Opium!

MrTeapot

« Reply #117 on: 08 Jun 2005, 05:24 »

I am definatly going to take part in the next round of this, assuming there will be one. Theres one track that I put as an opener on any mix CD, regardless of overal mood, its the kind of track that will get anyone rocking out in their underwear.

El Opium

« Reply #118 on: 08 Jun 2005, 13:49 »

I'm glad you liked a few of the songs on there Jeremy. When I was browsing around one time I found out this Monshock comp
http://www.sl.net/~ttbooks/moolala/cat.htm
doesn't look like it includes the album though. Something tells me the album is worth quite a pretty penny these days.

jeremy

« Reply #119 on: 08 Jun 2005, 14:28 »

Yeah, I figured as much, 'cos when I looked around for the album maybe 2 or 3 years ago it was already fetching $25+. I am an idiot.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #120 on: 10 Jun 2005, 17:32 »

I'll take this as pistachio reaaaaaaaaaaally not liking my mix. *laughs*

pistachio

« Reply #121 on: 11 Jun 2005, 01:30 »

:) no! it was good... well.. okay not GREAT but good in the sense that I listened to at least half of it more than 5 times. Im just super busy lately and don't really have the energy to  like move, or give the whole thing a proper critique.

But overall it wasn't bad, I liked the first song and the last one the best and I think it was called um something about vengeance? i REALLY liked that one. I think the Main problem I had with a lot of the songs was that you couldn't understand the lyrics, so it just sounded like mumbling, and I dont understand the point of lyrics if its just mumbling. I mean, "lyrics" like screaming and stuff that you dont understand but still sound cool, okay. But if it just sounds like gurgle gurgle slurp then I dont get it.

But yeah, you definately introduced me to some new enjoyable songs :)

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #122 on: 11 Jun 2005, 01:53 »

I had a feeling you'd like those three songs. They're all total keepers, even though the Misery Signals one is a bit misleading when it comes to the band's overall sound (the rest of their songs feature no singing at all, just the screamy parts).

As I said in the letter, I tried to keep it occasionally melodic, so even if the songs were hard as hell, they'd have at least one part suited for the non-metal/hardcore heads. I also tried escalating the heaviness, so the hardest stuff was placed later on in the record, whereas the stuff I thought would be easier to take would be early on.

I'm glad you liked at least some of it, though. :)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #123 on: 11 Jun 2005, 04:36 »

No word yet, Brittany?

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #124 on: 12 Jun 2005, 18:56 »

None. :( (perhaps it will come tomorrow?)
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #125 on: 12 Jun 2005, 18:57 »

I did post it over a week ago!

Mayhaps.

Mayhaps.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #126 on: 12 Jun 2005, 19:05 »

Mishaps!
Mayhem!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #127 on: 12 Jun 2005, 19:09 »

Cease and desist!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #128 on: 12 Jun 2005, 19:17 »

We really need to do another round of this. Mainly because I'm hoping I'll get someone who'll actually make a mix next time.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #129 on: 12 Jun 2005, 19:37 »

I'm in for a second round.  I'm SO in.  Has anyone been keeping track of how many people have yet to receive their mix?

jeremy

« Reply #130 on: 14 Jun 2005, 01:15 »

I have another mix ready...because I am just that bored. Ugh.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #131 on: 14 Jun 2005, 02:00 »

SERIOUSLY... Its been almost over a year, Well actually I don't know how long it has been, but I still haven't gotten mine...
I'm going away for about 4 weeks, so it looks like mine is going to be lost...
Mnementh... Do you think you got the address wrong or forgot to put a stamp on it or something?
Or maybe it's just impossible to send anything from America to somewhere so so far away:(
I check everyday... And I'm still waiting.... *sad sad whine whine*
Or maybe you forgot to put it in the post box, and it's still sitting in the pocket of a coat you rarely use....
Woo it is kinda fun to think up where my poor lost little mix cd is...

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #132 on: 14 Jun 2005, 04:42 »

Quote from: jeremy
I have another mix ready...because I am just that bored. Ugh.

Send it to a pack of wolves - he needs one!

Mnementh

« Reply #133 on: 14 Jun 2005, 05:24 »

Quote from: StarlightRecycler
SERIOUSLY... Its been almost over a year, Well actually I don't know how long it has been, but I still haven't gotten mine...
I'm going away for about 4 weeks, so it looks like mine is going to be lost...
Mnementh... Do you think you got the address wrong or forgot to put a stamp on it or something?
Or maybe it's just impossible to send anything from America to somewhere so so far away:(
I check everyday... And I'm still waiting.... *sad sad whine whine*
Or maybe you forgot to put it in the post box, and it's still sitting in the pocket of a coat you rarely use....
Woo it is kinda fun to think up where my poor lost little mix cd is...

A song for your poor mixed CD, who was lost at sea...

It's not very expensive, shall I reship it?  Or will you not receive it before you go away?

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #134 on: 14 Jun 2005, 06:04 »

Hmm, haven't received mine yet. Strange.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #135 on: 14 Jun 2005, 06:59 »

I'm waiting for any word from Muffy if she's gotten it. I sent it a while ago. Maybe I'll resend it? I dunno.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

siobhan

« Reply #136 on: 14 Jun 2005, 07:53 »

ooo ! i want in next round. i don't know how i missed this the first time, i only live on the forums.

i love mixed tapes !

Outshined

« Reply #137 on: 14 Jun 2005, 09:21 »

I'd love to get in on the next round of this... if there's one thing I totally love getting, it's new music ^_^

pistachio

« Reply #138 on: 14 Jun 2005, 16:21 »

it sounds like theres lots of issues with people not recieving their mixes... :( that makes me sad.. now i feel spoiled cause I got mine..

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #139 on: 16 Jun 2005, 09:59 »

No word? 'tis a fortnight now.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #140 on: 20 Jun 2005, 19:42 »

Nothing! I've been checking my mailbox diligently every day and NOTHING. NOTHING!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #141 on: 20 Jun 2005, 19:50 »

Alright, I'm going to resend the CD, Muffy, since I'm assuming you never got it.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #142 on: 21 Jun 2005, 12:57 »

Hey hey Kai..
I've actually been off-line for ages as my computer has met an unfortunate demise, which means all CD burning equipment is defunct (I will remedy this soon, Pip - I'm borrowing a mate's computer) but...
I have received no CD as yet, which makes me sad - it may be missing post (there's still no sign of my Cursive rareities either) but I will make a special effort to get online as soon as I get it, as I look forward to what you've chosen!
Toodlepips

Outshined

« Reply #143 on: 26 Jun 2005, 08:46 »

What say we get the second round going, then ;)?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #144 on: 26 Jun 2005, 09:40 »

My See-dee?

El Opium

« Reply #145 on: 26 Jun 2005, 12:09 »

I'm ready for more. I made a bunch of packages pretty similar to the one I gave Jeremy, now all they need is a CD and a destination.

ASturge

« Reply #146 on: 26 Jun 2005, 12:11 »

I'm definatly in this time!

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #147 on: 26 Jun 2005, 12:58 »

Oh, for fuck's sake. This makes the fourth package for me that the postal service has lost.

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #148 on: 27 Jun 2005, 03:18 »

kikanjuuneko: still hasn't come through? odd indeed. it's been just about 2 weeks exactly now... if nothing's come by the end of this week, i could send you over another copy. postage to europe is cheaper than i'd thought...

Schmung

« Reply #149 on: 27 Jun 2005, 09:46 »

I'd be in fir the next one, but my CD never arrived and that irks me rather.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up