THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Everyones posting their art, I just wanna thanks Jeph  (Read 4222 times)

Neskah

• Balloon animal serial killer

New to web comics, and his tutorial has come in handy.

Everyone here seems to post their art, i think i'll hold out revealing mine for now. My friends like the content but that might be cause they're in the comic. So i turned to Jephs tutorial for guidence on the artwork itself. And it's great, (I was having trouble colouring in the lines with paint bucket, but followed jephs tech on my last  episode and it's a far better way to go)

And seeing QC's (and PA's) humble graphics beginnings also gives an artist hope in themselves (my first 2 eps i did on MS paint while bored at work, so they're laughable at best). As I'm semi content with what i have now, i can only hope i follow other webcomics artists lead and perfect my style with more practice.

Anyway Cheers. I'll go back to lurking for now.
One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

mosfet

Everyones posting their art, I just wanna thanks Jeph
« Reply #1 on: 22 May 2005, 13:12 »

Keep on truckin fellow artist!

btw... For some reason I've not seen this tutorial... I'm not sure how I could have missed it, but I guess I did.  You happen to have the link?

Neskah

« Reply #2 on: 22 May 2005, 15:31 »

Well it's not a tutorial, my words become exceedingly lazy at times. it's his walk thru located under qc's faq.

http://www.questionablecontent.net/walkthrough.php
One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

mosfet

« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2005, 08:53 »

THAT is quite cool!
My own method looks so bad compared to that!

Sideways

« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2005, 10:03 »

It's kinda funny, I stumbled onto that same 'tutorial' a few months ago, and found that I pretty much do the exact same thing as jeph.

A few of my steps are different, and I probably use more layers (layers are our friends), but it's very similar to how I do things.

Neskah

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2005, 16:35 »

I use so many layers, and it's killing franki (Franki being my computer, home built from spare parts = frankensteins monster = franki... yes i'm a chick, we do these things )

I have to find a way to minimise the file size.

TH89

« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2005, 20:55 »

That's pretty cool--but I still can't figure out how he can manage to get one of those things out every single day.

Neskah

« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2005, 03:44 »

Three outta seven isn't hard.. plus... I may have read the side notes wrong... but i think Jeph devotes his time to it as in QC's his job now... Lord knows if he sells enough merchandise and has enough advertisements it's possible to make a pretty penny.

oddball318

« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2005, 04:46 »

Quote from: Neskah
Franki being my computer, home built from spare parts = frankensteins monster = franki...

I try not to get all pretentious about such things, but I appreciate when people distinguish between Frankenstein and the creature.

Now if I could just get people to stop saying "money is the root of all evil"

mosfet

« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2005, 04:55 »

simple passwords are the evil of root!

HAHA! geek humor.... <sigh>

If I remember from Jeph's talk, the money coming in isn't exactly mad cash, but its just enough penny to get the rent in.  It also takes him doing full time to do the comic with the help of his girl doing full time on the merchandising and stuff.  80 "man hours" a week at least if I recall correctly to do QC.

Sideways

« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2005, 08:10 »

Yeah, I would imagine that each QC comic takes a solid 4 hours (from start to finish).  Jeph probably has found some shortcuts (recycling the occassional background, etc) but, unlike many webcomics, QC is consistently dynamic.  I don't think I could go back through the archives and find a single frame that has been copied, and pasted into another comic down the road.

As for getting a new comic out daily, it really wouldn't be that difficult (from a technical standpoint).  Consider that this comic is Jeph's full-time job... so it's not like he's spending 40 hours in an office, then spending another 4 doing the comic, and an additional few more hours dealing with merchandising.  THAT would be insane!

As for Jeph keeping the story fresh, daily, and constantly writing humorous/interesting dialogue... that's just a gift, plain and simple.

Neskah

« Reply #11 on: 26 May 2005, 14:41 »

Quote from: oddball318
Quote from: Neskah
Franki being my computer, home built from spare parts = frankensteins monster = franki...

I try not to get all pretentious about such things, but I appreciate when people distinguish between Frankenstein and the creature.

Now if I could just get people to stop saying "money is the root of all evil"

Evils a point of veiw.

And most people don't know the frankenstein legend so of course then get it wrong.

oddball318

« Reply #12 on: 26 May 2005, 15:04 »

the angle I was approaching it from is this - the quote is actually "love of money is the root of all evil"  (something from the New Testament).  Kind of an extreme statement, but point being that it's aiming at greed; money is just money.

but, um, I suppose I'll check out Jeph's tutorial since I've been kicking around thoughts about occasionally doing comic format stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up