THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Jul 2024, 06:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QC website  (Read 8120 times)

trolley

QC website
« on: 27 May 2005, 05:27 »

Hello there, my lovely QC chaps.
Could some friendly soul please tell me what kind of (insert techie name here) Jeph uses to display the comics on the the QC site. I assume it some kind of database thingy that fills a basic page with the comic strip and associated newspost, but I'm wanting to know the actual technique, and if you're feeling really nice, a good place where I would be able to learn it.
I'm pretty good with HTML and CSS, so any help would be absolutely awesome.

Cheers you juys!

BlueCoatKarma

QC website
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2005, 07:03 »

A look at the source of the page shows it's using PHP. I know nothing about that, other than that it has something to do with scripting server-side databases.

Your avatar is cool.

lb969

QC website
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2005, 10:57 »

Its a PHP module. Probably custom shaped to fit comics.

It stays the same, all he does is put in a new pic link, and text and it automatically creates the archive page.... (speculation based on a PHP admin)

Or he just makes a new page and text every day, and adds the archive manually.

MilkmanDan

QC website
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2005, 11:14 »

PHP. The best place to learn it is probably http://www.php.net That has tutorials and definitions of every function / procedure. How does Jeph's work? Well,  when you're browsing the comics the URL is '.../view.php?comic=x'. The PHP script gets the 'comic=x' bit of the URl because putting it after the '?' makes it a GET variable. I don't know exactly how it's set up, but I imagine it gets the newspost and date from a MySQL database, and pus in an image with the SRC '.../comic/x.png'. The PHP script plugs them into a basic template that formats these items into the HTML page you see before you. It migh use a dedicated template engine, eg Smarties, or it might be custom written. On the archive page the PHP gets the comic title as well from the database.
Yeah. Most of that was just me guessing, but it'll be something pretty similer.

trolley

QC website
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2005, 09:57 »

Cheers fellas.

nihilist

QC website
« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2005, 07:37 »

Mighty Mike says:

It's PHP, though not some module or pre-existing project.  It was custom written specifically for the purpose of hosting the comic.  Uses a MySQL database to store the newsposts, and the files are stored as PNGs on disk.  (374 PNGs, 51MB of space.  Hurrrk.)

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
QC website
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jun 2005, 21:07 »

Yeah, you should get rid of the pic in your sig, before THEY find you......They ALWAYS find you...

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
QC website
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jun 2005, 00:02 »

Nihilist hosts QC.  he and Jeph are pretty much the only dudes who could have sig images here, ever.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
QC website
« Reply #8 on: 05 Jun 2005, 03:04 »

Tee-hee - I was wondering when someone was going to tell Nihilist to get rid of his sig image!  Pays sometimes to check the list of members, see when everyone joined . . .

nihilist

QC website
« Reply #9 on: 05 Jun 2005, 19:09 »

The join date, and my user ID kinda give it away.  :)  I have that same sig on pretty much every forum I belong to, just how it goes.  Couldn't break the streak here!

Also, my post about how the website works is uncannily accurate!

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
QC website
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jun 2005, 12:59 »

I suspect it's actualy a doppelganger that has taken his place.  Or I need more sleep.

But yeah, not only those but you use to have something in your sig about QC on your fat pipes.  Something along those lines.  Hell if I can remember but I must say since I've been reading there has only been one downtime I remember, which didn't seem all that long.

nihilist

QC website
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jun 2005, 13:18 »

Yeah, something about being the "phat pipe provider."  I then woke up, looked in a mirror, realized that I have no justification for using the word "phat" and removed it.

The only real outage was when we had to move a server when it got hacked.  Had to do forsensic checks, etc, then rebuild.  Moving back was a lot smoother, since we could just point the DNS from the temporary server back to the original one.

I endeavour to keep things running smoothly.  :)

ASturge

QC website
« Reply #12 on: 06 Jun 2005, 13:19 »

You do a hella good job!

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
QC website
« Reply #13 on: 06 Jun 2005, 13:27 »

That's most likely what I was remembering.  Oh well, it was just a sign of how well the comic is doing when there are more asshats to deal with.

Yeah, I'm trying to think of the last time I even heard the word "phat" and can't think of anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up