THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 14:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Mini Studio?  (Read 4057 times)

BusterKeaton

Mac Mini Studio?
« on: 30 May 2005, 17:24 »

My inner elliot smith is just burning to churn out acoustic ballads and have them adored by the world, So ive decided to invest some cash in a PC based home studio, Of course like the rest of the world the "cash" to be invested is not plenty. Ive read a couple articles online on how the mac mini can be a somewhat functional for recording, I really wanna use a mac but cant really afford a the higher end. Anyone have any advice? caveats?

captainawesome

Mac Mini Studio?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2005, 18:17 »

Yeah, I've been saving up to do the exact same thing.  This summer I plan to buy a Mac Mini, a cheap condesnser mic, a preamp, and a mixer, and set up a cheap recording studio.

Worth a try, I think.

ryanjnelson

Mac Mini Studio?
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jun 2005, 07:19 »

The Mac Mini would indeed be a nice solution to at-home recording.  It's packaged with iLife '05, including Garageband, one of the simpler home-recording software solutions I've used.
Couple things to keep in mind, though:  The Mac Mini doesn't have a built-in audio-in jack.  So, you will need to get some sort of USB or Firewire based audio input support.  Personally, I'm in love with the Griffin iMic.
Also, as I'm sure you're aware, the Mac Mini doesn't come with a keyboard or a mouse or monitor.

Another option you might consider is the eMac.  Very similar specs to the Mac Mini, except that is has an audio input included (eliminating the need for the iMic), a built-in monitor, and comes with a keyboard & mouse.  For a total of $300 more than the Mini.

As an example of what this type of recording can produce with just a guitar & cheap condenser mic, consider listening to my cover of The Police classic, Man In A Suitcase.

-sam

Mac Mini Studio?
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jun 2005, 20:41 »

Quote from: ryanjnelson
Another option you might consider is the eMac. Very similar specs to the Mac Mini, except that is has an audio input included (eliminating the need for the iMic), a built-in monitor, and comes with a keyboard & mouse. For a total of $300 more than the Mini.

Of course you could take that three hundred bucks, pick up a M-Audio Firewire Solo and have a hundred bucks left over.  Not sure if it will work with garageband though...

-sam
Pages: [1]   Go Up