THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Evolution From MSPaint to Paintshop  (Read 5392 times)

Neskah

• Balloon animal serial killer
Evolution From MSPaint to Paintshop
« on: 30 May 2005, 18:15 »

Hehehe it's been weeks and I still giggle when flick between past an present.

No I'm not whoring my Comic as... well I don't have a comic yet, these arermore like graphic diaries of actual conversations.

without further ado...

MS Paint

paint shop with tablet

Anyone else care to post their Progress???
One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

Neskah

« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2005, 18:16 »

Ooops

just go here for the 1st one.
One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

Neskah

« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2005, 18:19 »

*screams in personal frustration*

Nay I'm not retarded, i have PVFS (Fatigue and sleepiness induced stupidity)and get a little short term memory loss. nothing severe but thats why i forgot to actually ADD the link

anyway

http://tinypic.com/515ajd

*Crawls away and hides*

Sideways

« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2005, 07:49 »

I like the layout, I thought the joke was funny, but I will say that you need 2 things;

1) Photoshop.
2) Graphics Tablet.

You've got a pseudo-pixel-art sort of thing happening there, and I'm not sure if that's intentional or a product of the program you're using.

However you seem to have an adequate grasp of proportion, and posing, so if you're thinking of getting serious with this, you need to invest some time and money.

A bottom-of-the-line graphics tablet can be purchased for around $100.00 at most any computer store.  They work great!  You will, however, have to re-wire your brain when using it... because you'll be drawing on a surface, but watching your drawing appear on a screen, a foot or two away.  It takes a lot of time to get used-to.

I just cannot stress this enough; if you want to start a webcomic, or if you plan on doing a lot of digital drawing, you NEED Photoshop/Corel Photopaint & a graphics tablet.

Neskah

« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2005, 14:02 »

Awww *pinches your cheek* You're so nice and friendly,

Did you not see the 2nd image in the 1st post or just notice my screwed up link for the 1st image?

I do it too, skim through before th image is fully loaded...

so again... here is the one i did in photoshopusing a drawing tablet

***Image removed due to irritating postee***

*Crosses fingers you'll say something equelly nice about this one*

Anyway the reason for theis thread so others could show me how their works developed... Please post.[/img]

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #5 on: 31 May 2005, 14:08 »

Your artwork has improved a lot and it's really good now and the humour is great. I'd read it as a comic. :)

Neskah

« Reply #6 on: 31 May 2005, 14:43 »

Mother always told me to accept positive critiques from Hitchhikers Fans

Thank you

thehoopiestfrood

« Reply #7 on: 31 May 2005, 14:52 »

Hey, no problem! They're really good.

My only advice would perhaps be to try saving them as PNGs in JPGs (I seem to end up saying this to everyone). They do get rid of the artifacts you sometimes get and leave you with a cleaner looking comic, which is why I guess a lot of long running comics (including QC and SGR and the like) use PNGs.

Neskah

« Reply #8 on: 31 May 2005, 14:59 »

Ohh cheers. I need all the advice I can get, and most of the ppl in the know around me have little patience for my ..."hobbies"

but again... this thread was so I could see how far others have come.. so by all means please post an example of your earlier and more recent work.

Bezman

« Reply #9 on: 31 May 2005, 17:11 »

/me stands and applauds.

Latest comic is awesome. If there was a link to an archive, I'd start reading through them, for sure.

With your current style I agree a CLUT-based file format may suit better.

I'd post some before/after images of my own, but I haven't been working hard on a single strip, like you have seemingly.

SeanBateman

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2005, 19:25 »

I can't see the new improved one...

Bezman

« Reply #11 on: 01 Jun 2005, 05:00 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
I can't see the new improved one...

I couldn't either until I took the url and pasted it in a new window. Some sites just don't like folk trying to embed their stuff in another page.

The general answer is to take the url, have a look at it in a new window and refresh a couple of times (the new window) if it still doesn't work.

Sideways

« Reply #12 on: 01 Jun 2005, 09:49 »

Earlier & more recent work, eh?

Beware, the difference is dramatic, but I assure you, it was I who drew both comics.

January, 2005:
"Needed An Ending"

April, 2005:
Figuratively Speaking

And they've pretty-much looked like the April one, ever since.

Neskah

« Reply #13 on: 08 Jun 2005, 17:10 »

Anyone else care to share their Progress?

Please

crazyaishacomics

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jul 2005, 09:11 »

I can't wait until I get back to NC, I can work on my comic again...

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #15 on: 12 Jul 2005, 12:31 »

the art style and the dialogue in the one about lenses in your eye is good, BUT you ought to work on doing something a little more than having the same image repeated across every panel. QC has gotten pretty good about having the characters actually move.

I think the best example of dynamic figure placement in a webcomic is probably www.butternutsquash.net . I just wish it were updated more often.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

Sideways

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jul 2005, 09:04 »

Butternutsquash is wicked.  I've gone through their full archive, twice now, and I haven't seen a comic where any two frames are copied.

While I think Ian McConville's work is of higher calibre, he does tend to re-use frames in the same comic.

I know I do... it cuts down on drawing-time.

But it's a total cop-out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up