THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 06:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your 15 essential tracks.  (Read 6017 times)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Your 15 essential tracks.
« on: 03 Jun 2005, 01:47 »

Now, this topic may seem a tad redundant, but I swear it has a point. This thread seems to suffer from two problems: one, that people (me included) are mainly choosing their favourite tracks of the moment, and that two, it is bloody impossible.

The point of this thread, however, is for you to identify, if you can the fifteen seminal songs of your life: the songs that have changed some aspect of you, or at least your musical taste, forever. Mine are, in order:

1: Bob Dylan - Masters of War: The first song I ever remember loving. I learned to operate a turntable simply so I could listen to it over and over again. I've never lost my love for a good, raw, honest voice or a powerful protest song, and I've never lost my appreciation of just how fucking angry Mr Dylan is here.
2: The Beatles - I Am the Walrus: Probably my first encounter with intrinsically wierd music.
3: Meatloaf - Bat Out of Hell (album version): Oh man, the intro! Meatloaf's aesthetics were also my first brush with heavy metal.
4: Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall: I must have been twelve or thirteen when I first heard The Wall: this was, believe it or not, my first real brush with music that had any pretence of serious anti-establishment values.
5: Rammstein - Adios: Mutter was the first album I ever bought that wasn't by an artist my parents listened to. It rocked then, it still does. This song remains my, somewhat unusual, favourite.
6: Metallica - Enter Sandman: Quiet you. This was, quite by accident, my first encounter with what is still undoubtedly heavy metal. And when I was 14, this track rocked insane amounts of ass.
7: Cradle of Filth - Hallowed Be Thy Name: The first track I ever heard that was in any way 'extreme metal' (though looking back now it seems so incredibly tame). This established my lasting affection for both Cradle of Filth and Iron Maiden as well as totally redifining everything I thought about music.
8: Bathory - Reaper: This track is the one that turned me on to real black metal. Where would I be without it? I don't want to think.
9: Arch Enemy - Ravenous: This was a woman!? Another set of mental barriers smashed, and also my first musical crush.
10: Edge of Sanity - Blood Coloured: I think I probably played this track 40 times over when I first got it, randomly trawling kazaa lite for new music back in the good old days. It drew me like a moth to the candle of Edge of Sanity, and hence Dan Swano, and is thus single-handedly responsible for rekindling my latent interest in progressive music, dormant since childhood escapades with Floyd and Genesis.
11: Finntroll - Midnattens Widunder: Metal and polka? I had to hear this. Fuck yes I had to. Indeed, I could hardly stop myself. It was that fucking good.
12: Venom - Black Metal -  This sounds cheesy as fuck, but it was listening to this motherfucker of a track that I finally, as it were got the point of heavy metal.
13: Burzum - Ea, Lord of the Deeps: I overlooked Burzum for a criminal length of time. Hearing this track on the Fenriz 'Best of old-school Black Metal' compilation was a real eye-opener as to just what I had been missing. The sheer intensity that Varg pours into such an abstract track is almost scary. This opened not only Burzum, but also a hell of a lot more of the more minimalist stuff I had avoided till that point.
14: :wumpscut: - On the Run: This is the track that convinced me that maybe electronic music wasn't such a bad idea after all.
15: Wuthering Heights - The Land of Olden Glory: This was something else. Along with a few key others (Arch Enemy's 'Angelclaw', Maiden's 'Transylvania', to name a couple) this track is what made me pick up a guitar and make my first torturous steps down the fretboard.

Yeah, I was bored. I still think this is a neat thread idea.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

boeuf

« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2005, 06:23 »

I'll give this a whirl, but a few songs may be in my list because I really really like them, and I may not able to explain why they're important to me.

1. Harry Chapin- Cats in the Cradle My dad used to sing this to my sister and I all the time, and it was sort of appropriate because, like the father in the song, my dad wasn't around much when we were little.

2. I don't remember who sings this song-Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes Again, this brings back memories as a child, my dad would sing my dad would sing "Ti na na, ti na na na" then my sister would sing "Diamonds on the soles of her shoes" and then I'd go "OWA OWA!"  but I'd always be going "OWA OWA" even if it wasn't my part because I loved going "OWA OWA", shows what a rambunctious kid I was.

3. The B-52s, anything by them really I listened to these guys like crazy when I was growing up. I'm probably going about this list all wrong, well, tough noodles.

4. Great Big Sea- their first three ceedees. Being a Newfoundlander, I loved GBS's celtic sort of sound, and they brought out my love for dancing. I'd used to jig aliong to their songs all the time. Alone...in, my room.

Oi, this is where it starts getting tricky, I think what I'ma do is go and edit this once I've had a chance to think of my other songs. I'll be back.

deborah

« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2005, 06:58 »

Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes is Paul Simon off Graceland

Mikendher

« Reply #3 on: 03 Jun 2005, 07:54 »

in chronological order:

everclear - so much for the afterglow (introduced me to music, i didn't really listen to anything seriously before this)
metallica - no leaf clover (led to my furious but short lived dip into loud music)
green day - good riddance (caused my pre-electronica alternative rock phase)
dj mind x - mon voyage dogma remix (led to another short-lived phase: hard trance)
lifehouse - hanging by a moment (caused my post-electronica alternative rock phase)
oasis - wonderwall (i started listening to softer music)
death cab for cutie - tiny vessels (i started listening to indie)
elliott smith - come out now (where i am now, listening to acoustic indie/folk)

that's not 15, but whatever

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #4 on: 03 Jun 2005, 08:49 »

1.  Metallica - Fight Fire With Fire - Ride The Lightning was THE album that got me into metal when I was about 9 or 10 years old.  This is the first song off of that album, and after hearing the first notes I was hooked.

2.  Fear Factory - Demanufacture - My first brush with extreme (in this case death) metal.  I bought Demanufacture on cassette tape after my dad's friend gave me a Fear Factory shirt one year because he heard I was into metal.  This is the first and title track off of that album.

3.  Marilyn Manson - Diary Of A Dope Fiend - A friend of mine bought MM's "Smells Like Children" album and this track stood out inparticular to me.  I was a huge Manson fan for a long time and always loved the weird, yet intelligent ideas he had.

4.  Cradle Of Filth - Funeral In Carpathia - About 6 years ago, back when I was in Junior High School, I started hearing about Cradle Of Filth.  One of my friends bought me Dusk.. And Her Embrace on CD, and although it wasn't the first COF song I ever heard or anything, it really was a step forward in my pursuit of extreme music.

5.  Dimmu Borgir - The Insight And The Catharsis - Like most progressors into black metal, COF and DB were my first sugar coated and watered down introduction into black metal.  Spiritual Black Dimensions remains my favorite Dimmu album to this date, and this song was my favorite off of that album for a long time.

6.  Emperor - With Strength I Burn  - One word. . Epic!  Although In The Nightside Eclipse is my favorite Emperor album now, at the time when I had just bought Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk I was amazed by the grandiose yet dark atmospheres.  The clean vocals I especially liked.  My favorite song off of my first real black metal album.

7.  Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger - My first experience with unsymphonic black metal.  The melodies were incredible, and although at first I was a bit dissatisfied with bad production I fully realized its boon to artistic purposes later.  Inhuman screams echoing over melodic yet agressive guitars which built up a majestic atmosphere.. . Again, I was hooked.

8.  Burzum - War - Like most people hearing Burzum for the first time, I sort of thought Varg's vocals were a joke.  Though this is by far not my favorite Burzum track, it was the first of his I had ever heard and Burzum is one of my favorite bands and a huge influence to my other favorite bands.

9.  Absu - A Shield With An Iron Face - In a pursuit to listen to more "underground" black metal I looked these guys up to see what my home state has to offer.  I was fucking blown away by the intensity and speed of this black/thrash band.  Tara remains one of my favorite albums.

10.  Mercyful Fate - Curse Of The Pharaohs - MF was my first encounter with oldschool or first-wave black metal.  Again, this wasn't the first song I heard by them but one of the ones that really caught my ear and made me pursue them further.

11.  Limbonic Art - Beneath The Burial Surface - Limbonic Art is a symphony of cosmic darkness.  Being a huge HP Lovecraft fan, I am sort of obsessed with a feeling of cosmicism, space, and epic darkness in my music.  This album and song inparticular give off that feeling very well, I think.

12.  Xasthur - In The Hate Of Battle - Enter suicidal black metal, possibly my favorite genre of music.  The atmospheres in this music blew me away... It was like staring into an endless pool of darkness.  Possibly also my first favorite "kvlt" black metal band.  

13.  Nokturnal Mortum - Veles' Scrolls - Goat Horns is probably still the best symphonic black metal album out there, in my opinion.  Also its elements of folkiness I really enjoyed.  This is my favorite song off of that album, and Nokturnal Mortum remains one of my favorite bands still.

14.  Shape Of Despair - Quiet These Paintings Are - This track was my first introduction into doom metal (funeral doom, if you will.)  Being a huge fan of suicidal black metal, it was only natural that I love the incredibly depressive feelings doom metal and especially this bands conveys.  Doom is probably my second or third favorite genre of metal.

15.  Black Funeral - Sutekh (Chaos) - I tacked this one on at the end because Az-i-Dahak has been an album I've been obsessed with very recently (in the past few weeks.)  The whole album is like an infernal ceremony calling up a nameless evil.  The use of tribal drums fused with a more "industrial" drum machine give a varied sense of ancient times fused with modern darkness.  Michael Ford also claims he used human bones as part of the precussion in this album, and that's just so fucking cool.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #5 on: 03 Jun 2005, 10:03 »

I live near Corpus Christi, a small town just north of it called Rockport.

I was in Austin this past school year attending UT but I dropped out a few weeks before the close of this last semester.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #6 on: 03 Jun 2005, 11:13 »

Where does he live?  Corpus?

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #7 on: 03 Jun 2005, 11:50 »

wow.  what a coincidence.

Rockport is a pretty small town.

Psiogen

« Reply #8 on: 03 Jun 2005, 14:54 »

Gentle Giant - "Knots"
Rock disassembled and rebuilt from spare parts.

The Wrens - "Hopeless"
Perhaps the best power-pop song ever written.

XTC - "This World Over"
Singlehandedly justifies the concept of 80's pop ballads.

Wu-Tang Clan - "C.R.E.A.M."
Picking a favorite Wu-Tang song is like choosing your favorite flavor of ice cream, but I'll settle on this one...for now.

King Crimson - "Starless"
Everything that was ever good about prog in one 12 minute explosion.

The Kinks - "Waterloo Sunset"
Fuck.

Peter Hammill - "A Louse Is Not A Home"
Over-the-top goth melodrama at its best.

And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - "Source Tags & Codes"
Just about the perfect orchestral rock ballad.

The Beach Boys - "Good Vibrations"
Fap fap fap fap fap fap fap...

The Misfits - "Bullet"
Best punk song evar.

The Dismemberment Plan - "The Other Side"
This is the sort of song that leaves you with the feeling that every other band just isn't trying hard enough.

The Velvet Underground - "Sister Ray"
Pure rock.

Public Enemy - "Welcome to the Terrordome"
My home is your home!

The Beatles - "She Loves You"
The brick to the testicles of pop radio.

mechorg

« Reply #9 on: 03 Jun 2005, 18:08 »

Wow, good topic but this might take some thought.

Harry Chapin - Cats in the Cradle
This is odd, because I have almost the exact same reason as the previous person did for posting this song.  My guess is your dad is in his early 50s now.  Did he have an afro in the '70s, too?  :)

Cat Stevens - Wild World
I got a lot of influences from my dads music as a youngster.  I seriously played out the Tea for the Tillerman album along with Teaser and the Firecat.  I guess this is where I get my admiration for the whole 'singer/songwriter' genre.

Electric Light Orchestra - Starlight
Really, there was a lot of the experimental ELO that I really liked.  Great rock 'n Roll fusion with the experimental era of the late 1970s and Keyboards before MIDI and huge song arrangements.

Neil Young - Needle and the Damage Done
Harvest was another of my dad's albums that got extremely over-played.  I loved this song even before I could understand the whole meaning.  When I was older, this song just had that much more impact.

Pearl Jam - Jeremy
Once I had my paper route and some cash, my first purchase was a Sony Walkman and Ten.  I was thrown into the grunge scene in the early 90s (damn... this came out in 1991... i feel old) and this lead to more Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains.  This eventually led to my jam band days via Primus and DMB.

Nine Inch Nails - Head Like a Hole
Thanks to MTVs 120minutes (remember those good ol' days?) I got introduced to the harshest of the harsh that rang 'teen angst' 100 times louder and more powerful than the whole grunge scene.  This was soon to be the hard introduction to what real industrial music is (Throbbing Gristle, Coil, Einsturzende Neubauten, Skinny Puppy... so on...)

Tool - Hush
More angry and loud grinding guitars that got me into playing bass guitar.  In the 5 years to follow, if I touched someone's bass, it was tuned to drop D within seconds.  This also started me on my quest for bootlegs (which I still have many of).  I won't even mention the affects of their religious babble on my impressionable young mind.

Radiohead - High & Dry
The Bends came out at an opportune moment for a lonely high school freshmen introvert with a lot of emotions.  This would kick start my indie listeners career, but not until the angsty teen was grown up a bit more.

Acid Bath - New Death Sensation
Paegan Terrorism Tactics has a strong recall reaction for me that brings back many memories from my rebellious ... and stoned ... youth.  I can just picture myself slouching at one end of the couch, the room filled with a haze and 4 of my close friends (one always playing the old NES) and random paraphanalia on the coffee table.  Roadie when the CD was over...

Haujobb - Cutedge
My first introduction to the world of EBM and Synthpop, which became a staple in my listening tendancies for a good 4 years.  Led toward the more industrial sounds of :wumpscut:, Aghast View, Bigod 20, Crocodile Shop, and eventually Meat Beat Manifesto.

VNV Nation - Solitary
Introduced at the same time as Haujobb.  I credit a lot of my current music to my first and best college roommate and still great friend, Justin.  Pretty much everything I listened to in this period had more synths and less guitars.

Binary Finary - 1998 (Paul Van Dyk mix)
Along with the rest of my experimental tendencies in college came the underground rave scene.  Lots of memories and most shouldn't be repeated on an online medium. ;)

Radiohead - Everything in its Right Place
Yes, Radiohead pops up twice in my list.  This is THE most seminal and influential song on this list.  Just those first 4 chords followed by a complete listening of the entire Kid A album... twice.  Everyone needs a good mental kick to the head, and this was it for me.  It was released October 2000 and soon after in December was my last day as a Physics major and a college student.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Dead Flag Blues
I saw them live in Milwaukee very soon after 9/11 and that was such an eye-opening experience (i won't even call it a 'concert' or 'show').  The pure emotion put into strings was so compelling I needed more.  This brought on the rest of the Montreal music scene as well as the other ethereal space-rock bands like Mogwai, Sigur Ros and Tortoise.

Interpol - Stella was a Diver...
This would be my full fledged entrance into the Indie scene and what dragged me to the Coachella music festival a few years ago and the opening up of many more great bands.  (Also at that first year of Coachella for me:  Hot Hot Heat, Jack Johnson, Mars Volta, Tortoise, Polyphonic Spree ... yadda yadda)

Honorable Mention:
Weezer - Only in Dreams
Morphine - Cure for Pain
Underworld - King of Snake

Wow... I made it.  That was nostolgic. :)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jun 2005, 18:45 »

Quote from: mechorg

Acid Bath - New Death Sensation
Paegan Terrorism Tactics has a strong recall reaction for me that brings back many memories from my rebellious ... and stoned ... youth.  I can just picture myself slouching at one end of the couch, the room filled with a haze and 4 of my close friends (one always playing the old NES) and random paraphanalia on the coffee table.  Roadie when the CD was over...

I am actually listening to that very song right now, sandwiched between some Agalloch and Of The Wand And The Moon. Does that mean I haven't grown up? Maybe. But then, I suppose I am still technically a teenager.

Whenever I reflect on it, I find it odd that I love so much heavy stoner music, and yet have never had so much as a drag myself.

...and Mogwai, GY!BE, space rock? Odd term, I would always have put Space rock down as old Pink Floyd, Hawkwind, Star One, maybe Tiamat and late Samael (it's somewhere in the mix) for later stuff. Post-rock, surely?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

mechorg

« Reply #11 on: 03 Jun 2005, 19:00 »

Yeah, but I called it 'ethereal space-rock'... you sticklers can call it what you want.  I'm not up on the whole scrabble genre naming generator thingy.  Post-rock works.

And I've mentioned it before that I 'grew out' of the metal and rock phase, but thats just me personally and how i interpret myself progressing.  I know people that listen to thrash and death metal into their 30s and I see nothing wrong with that... listen to what you want.

Just don't be suprised if your musical tastes change in the future.  You'll always remember your roots.

I'll still listen to it when the mood strikes me... just like I'll listen to Duran Duran or The Who or Herbie Hancock if the mood strikes me.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #12 on: 03 Jun 2005, 19:19 »

Just don't be suprised if your musical tastes change in the future.  You'll always remember your roots.

Oh, my tastes change, or rather evolve all the time. I am worryingly certain that by the age of 30 I will wear a beard and go to folk clubs, though I suspect I will remain a fan of what one might call 'real' metal for some time, simply because I have already, imo, grown out of my teenagey music...hell, I didn't even really get into music properly till I was 15. Now it's a total obsession.

boeuf

« Reply #13 on: 03 Jun 2005, 19:23 »

Wow, good topic but this might take some thought.

Harry Chapin - Cats in the Cradle
This is odd, because I have almost the exact same reason as the previous person did for posting this song.  My guess is your dad is in his early 50s now.  Did he have an afro in the '70s, too?  :)

Yeah, he is like turning 51 I think in a few days
but he didnt have an afro, he had side burns, and we have a picture of him with a mushtache wearing an adidas belly top holding a huge pack of cigarettes.
It's unsettling.
Pages: [1]   Go Up