Really snobbish!
- 1 (4.3%)
Seems very hit-and-miss
- 12 (52.2%)
I'm impressed every time I visit!
- 1 (4.3%)
Never heard of it before today.
- 2 (8.7%)
Meh, it sucks for reasons I'll specify in my post.
- 3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: 03 Jun 2005, 13:37

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Becoming a Deviant  (Read 7473 times)

Sideways

Becoming a Deviant
« on: 03 Jun 2005, 13:37 »

Well, I finally gave-in and subscribed to DeviantArt.com.

Pretty cool site.  Lots of hella-emo people on there, but they seem to be very talented emo people.  :)

So far I've only uploaded my avatar as "Deviant Art/Digital Art/Portrait" or something.

I need to sort through the tons of drawings I have at home and maybe refine some of them.

http://sideways-down.deviantart.com/

Anyone else a Deviant?  If so, share the link to your stuff!

thehoopiestfrood

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jun 2005, 17:23 »

I'm on there but mainly to look at stuff friends have done. I don't have anything of my own posted.

blindbyfire

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jun 2005, 21:19 »

I haven't put anything new up in a while, but I plan to. I started out there when I was going through a bit of an emo stage, but mostly its photography of outdoor things I found pretty.

I love looking at other people's work though. Some of it is scary how good it is. It has changed a little over the past year and a half. I sort of liked it better before.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jun 2005, 04:15 »

i'm up there, have been for a while now.  

can be found here: http://dancarter.deviantart.com/

at its core, deviant is a great idea.  it's a good community and i've gotten to know a few really nice, constructive people that comment and point out errors and are just generally friendly-like.  i've also gotten a number of illustration and design jobs from their forums.

that said, there are some things that are problems....mostly are the same sort the majority of internet communities have.  trolls, flame wars...etc.  certain forums must be tread into very carefully or you're liable to get really, really mad at some point down the line.

still, when you think about how much art is getting out there for anyone to see, that's an amazing thing.  considering this fact and the pros listed above, it's a great launching point and a really good tool for anyone trying to break into the field or just exchange ideas about art.

Tinjessla

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jun 2005, 05:14 »

I'm on there too( http://tinola.deviantart.com/ ), but the art on there is a tad (read:very) old. Im hopeless when it comes to sticking at communities, but i'll start joining in soon enough.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jun 2005, 13:24 »

Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

lingy

X.x -head explodes-
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jun 2005, 20:13 »

yarr. its a pretty nice site if one likes to check out all the different styles.

i love the photography there. its beautiful

Inky

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #7 on: 06 Jun 2005, 01:55 »

Im on there http://www.Puddle-of-ink.deviantart.com
the problem that I have with deviant art is that you get these truly wonderful artists and they get barely any recognition, whilst some person who draws these crappy little things gets alot of pageviews and favourites because they suck up to other artists. Half the time its based on popularity not talent

mosfet

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jun 2005, 04:46 »

All I have to say is Wow!
I am humbled by the skill of what I see there!

of course I suck, so it doesn't take much!
I'm definately checking that place out once I have some free time.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jun 2005, 05:53 »

I'm not really an artist, so I dont know anything about this Deviant Art thing...
However, I was clicking on links and I have to say, Tinjessla I think your drawings are AWESOME. That is all.

Tinjessla

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jun 2005, 12:50 »

Ah thankyou! I'll have a website soon enough, so there should be newer (and much, much better) art on it.

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jun 2005, 17:59 »

You really will have to tell me about it so I can check it out!

Sideways

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #12 on: 09 Jun 2005, 07:30 »

I already have my own website... but it's not completely my own.  I have a 1/3 interest in it, the company name, any profits derived therein, blah blah blah.  So I can't turn around and tell my two best friends / business partners that I'm just going to upload all my random sketches and shit... that would go over like a lead zepplin.

So I started the deviantart account as a sketchdump... and I haven't even had the time to properly set it all up!!

So many ideas floating around... so little time to commit anything to paper.  :(

saturnine1979

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jun 2005, 10:38 »

http://saturnine1979.deviantart.com/

i think you get out of deviant art what you put into it.

i don't put much into the community, so i haven't gotten much out of it.

Benn London

Positive Negative
« Reply #14 on: 15 Jun 2005, 18:27 »

The main reason I post is to store my creativity online. Art college has a tendency to ruin works through lack of care. I also enjoy being able to view a portion of my work as an overview.

Comments can be useful, but often it's just plain positive critique.
Then there is the anime anime anime and awful sketches/webcam shots of oh so many early teens.

But in saying this there are also many great artists, you just have to look around for a while.

Oh, and it's http://justben.deviantart.com if you're interested.

Mikintosh

• Emoticontraindication
Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jun 2005, 21:11 »

I'd get one, but when I apply it says my ISP's been banned, even though I nor anyone in this house has applied for it either. E-mailing them has so far been non-fruitful. Tears of a clown.

ddrdaishi

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2005, 23:36 »

I've been a member for over a year now, and I must say, I rather enjoy myself there. A good way to get input on my random artings, I daresay.

Link's in the sig, I believe. Go check out my gallery? ^^;

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jun 2005, 03:20 »

http://mctaggart.deviantart.com

I'm not saying I'm particularly great or anything but you do have to sift through a lot of crap to find the gems.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #18 on: 16 Jun 2005, 10:20 »

I've been wondering this, do you actually have to be an artist to register on Deviant Art or does it just help?

blindsuperhero

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #19 on: 16 Jun 2005, 11:25 »

I'm on there, but I reside in the virtually-unheard-of Literature community. Sure every depressive teenage anime artist posts a couple of crappy end-rhyming poems every now and again, but there are only about 100 people who actually take their writing seriously on there. You can still find some real good stuff if you know where to look.

pip_helix

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #20 on: 16 Jun 2005, 20:53 »

http://noplatoniclove.deviantart.com

crap poetry, mediocre photography. at least i'm having fun.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2005, 02:02 »

Quote from: Blue Kitty
I've been wondering this, do you actually have to be an artist to register on Deviant Art or does it just help?

If by artist you mean someone who ends up with stuff to post, then yes. If by artist you mean someone with skill and talent or a job in the industry, no. The great thing (and the main problem) is that any idiot with internet can join. That's why it's so hit and miss.

Sideways

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2005, 08:54 »

That just seems like a silly question to me.
(unless there's some sarcasm I'm missing)

Since artists aren't licensed internationally, or anything, what's to stop the non-artistically-inclined from signing-up?

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:33 »

Quote from: Sideways

That just seems like a silly question to me.
(unless there's some sarcasm I'm missing)

Nope, no sarcasm at all.  I went to it and thought it might be cool to sign up.  But since I don't really have anything to contribute, I wondered if I could sign up any way.  I myself thought the question was stupid, but I really wanted to know.  I even thought to contact them and ask that question, but I was to scared.

Sideways

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:46 »

OH, I see... ok.

I got confused.

I thought you meant; "Can people who don't draw, sign-up?"

And I was thinking... "Well... yeah... it's not like their automatic registration program is going to know."

I didn't realize you meant; "Can people who don't have anything to submit right now, still sign up?"

Valid question.

Yeah, you don't NEED to submit anything when you sign up, but - obviously - you'll want to add images whenever you can.

TH89

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2005, 11:37 »

I have some stuff on there.  I wish a lot of it wasn't. :P

http://th89.deviantart.com/

I haven't updated in a long time.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #26 on: 18 Jun 2005, 03:24 »

You should have see some of the crap I had there before I came to my senses and purged my gallery.

RB77

Becoming a Deviant
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2005, 09:46 »

Ive been thinking about starting up a gallery, as far as I can see any critism of work is almost always constructive and as i gave up art beyond being a hobby it could be useful. Though it would probably need me to invest in a decent scanner.
Pages: [1]   Go Up