THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 19:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mock Orange  (Read 3108 times)

Merkava

Mock Orange
« on: 09 Jun 2005, 19:04 »

'm suprised I haven't made a topic on the band already, seeing as how I've been listening to them constantly for the last few days. I love them so much. This is the sound of old friends growing up and playing music together. They started as a band that can be classified as punk/emo, but the catch is, they weren't. Instead of whining about their problems, they just played emotional music, with a quick, powerful two-guitar attack and mostly unison vocals (in Nines & Sixes mostly). They were an emo band for people who hate emo. But, after their second album, in which their sound became copied, they completely revamped their sound, but still maintained the emotion. Now, they sound more like a rock/indie band. They mix Modest Mouse, Built to Spill, and Pavement all in one, while having their messed-up song-sensibility. One guy takes over, and has a rather high-pitched (yet not nasal) voice (don't worry, it works in the music's favor). Check out some songs on their website here:

http://www.mockorange.net/downloads.php

I'd recommend starting with the songs they have for [/i]Mind is Not Brain[/i] or the First EP, but if you're used to the more punky/emo kind of sound, feel free to check out Nines & Sixes or The Record Play (the former is recommended over the latter).

David

Mock Orange
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2005, 19:03 »

I remember downloading "Mind Is Not Brain" last year. The song, not the album. It's great, really catchy. I owe it to myself to check them out some more, I think.

I was actually listening to it the other day and thinking "Why did I stop listening to this?"

Outshined

Mock Orange
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2005, 11:11 »

Usually I hate anything that sounds remotely emo, but these guys were exceptional... I found all of their stuff enjoyable, their newer stuff especially.  
Mind is not Brain and Payroll were the best, in my opinion.  Those were extremely catchy ^_^.  

The vocalist alternately reminds me of the vocalist of Modest Mouse and Robert Plant.  

Good stuff!

Merkava

Mock Orange
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2005, 11:13 »

I love their interplay. The guitarist really sounds like Jimmy Page in the song "I've Been Staying So Long" (on Mind is Not Brain). At least that's what came to my head after first hearing the intro. O_O

EDIT: Also check out the acoustic number that's seperate from the albums, called "Ryan's Song." That and a song or two on Mind is Not Brain are really pretty songs that may or may not bring memories of Simon and Garfunkel. ;D

SeanBateman

Mock Orange
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2005, 16:05 »

I downloaded a mess of the songs off the site, and I am actually really impressed. It seems almost emo to me, but then it just catches me and I can't stop. I've got Stuck In playing right now.

Merkava

Mock Orange
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jun 2005, 18:50 »

I probably would have never heard of them if it weren't for my local Tower Records. The manager there was part of the label that now houses them and Mind is Not Brain was on sale and had a giant collage near the front of the store. We just grabbed it and I was hooked from there.

I've heard they have enough material for 2 more LP's, and most of the members want to keep/evolve the sound they have on Brain, which I am happy with. Although Nines & Sixes was really great, they really do something different with their latest.

Their transition was like:

Emotion ---> Braid/Jimmy Eat World ---> Built to Spill/Modest Mouse/Pavement

From emo to indie rock. They should write a book. XP
Pages: [1]   Go Up