THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 00:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bands that are cool to hate  (Read 34207 times)

Jeridus

Bands that are cool to hate
« Reply #100 on: 07 Jun 2005, 22:00 »

Thanks to the vast number of emo bands performing for Warped Tour (at least... at the Barrie Ont. venue... not sure about the other venues), it probably won't be quite as good as last year (which, to be fair, was awesome).

Emo = a new way for whiny teens to express angst... what ever hapened to becoming an introvert, bottling up those feelings...

I mean... err... um... I never did that (seriously... I am extrovert to the exponent of 100)

Outshined

« Reply #101 on: 07 Jun 2005, 23:19 »

Heh... I got a kick out of a "cool to hate" moment today.  I was selling back a few unwanted albums to the local record trader when they refused to buy back an old Godsmack album.  The reasoning:  "Everyone hates them and we can't sell their cds."  I about laughed my ass off.  The clerk acted like he was going to get bad music cooties or something from holding the cd ^_^

Robbo

« Reply #102 on: 08 Jun 2005, 03:43 »

Nothing wrong with Hardcore tech dancing at Hardcore shows...the two sort of go together. Just a case of where and why you start doing it.

Hardcore is just like Black Metal and Indy Wrestling. When it rains, it pours...so there's either a band that's full of crap all the time or a band that kicks ass all the time.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #103 on: 08 Jun 2005, 08:44 »

Quote from: Skibas_clavicle
Haha, I think my friend summed it up best whne she described hardcore dancing as "resembling a pidgeon trying to take off and failing".

I hate hardcore music....passionately.

Silence! Do not insult my beloved Fugazi, Minutemen and Black Flag, for they are supreme. Your hatred of them is foolish.

Please don't think that's the way hardcore kids dance. You'll make us cry. People mostly seem to do that tuff-guy dancing to bad metal bands with stupid haircuts and more beatdowns than sense anyway. I've only ever seen it at one or two hardcore gigs in my life.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Jeridus

« Reply #104 on: 08 Jun 2005, 11:53 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
Please don't think that's the way hardcore kids dance. You'll make us cry.

It's true... most people are smart enough to refrain from windmilling and back-flip-attempting at actual hardcore shows... I was at a Protest The Hero show in Toronto, and some kid started hardcore dancing and nearly got the shit beaten out of him...

It certainly is ironic that the true hardcore do'nt "hardcore dance"

zekterellium

« Reply #105 on: 08 Jun 2005, 11:56 »

i got the shit kicked out of my at a converge gig. at first, i thought this one guy was mad becasue i was making out with his girlfriend, but after a while everyone was hitting me. either that girl was a prolific little slut or hardcore fans are weird.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #106 on: 08 Jun 2005, 12:15 »

They probably just stick together. I certainly know, anyone made out with the partner of one of my metal brothers or sisters at a gig, I'd POLEAXE his ass.

With a poleaxe.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

zekterellium

« Reply #107 on: 08 Jun 2005, 12:23 »

i might have to resort to drive-by kissing then. or save it for the weekend.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #108 on: 08 Jun 2005, 17:04 »

Quote from: zekterellium
i got the shit kicked out of my at a converge gig. at first, i thought this one guy was mad becasue i was making out with his girlfriend, but after a while everyone was hitting me. either that girl was a prolific little slut or hardcore fans are weird.

No we're not. For a start, it was a Converge gig so plenty of those people won't really be into hardcore much at all. Also, much as I love Converge they tend to attract a large amount of the dickhead element to their gigs.

some kid started hardcore dancing and nearly got the shit beaten out of him...

Yeah, some brats tried to do that crap during a D-Rail set a while ago. The band told them to stop it since there was blatantly too little room, and my friend threatened to batter the shit out of one of them if he kicked him one more time. Tuff guy posing always gets short shrift at proper hardcore gigs.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Ioden

« Reply #109 on: 08 Jun 2005, 17:26 »

If anyone says Coldplay, I will skullfuck them.

What does skullfuck MEAN? I don't know. I think Tycho invented it, but that just makes it more unclear what it means. I imagine it involving a skull and a lot of pain.

Merkava

« Reply #110 on: 08 Jun 2005, 19:01 »

Thank you. I actually like Coldplay.

Jeridus

« Reply #111 on: 08 Jun 2005, 19:08 »

Older Coldplay = better... I really don't like the new CD

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #112 on: 08 Jun 2005, 19:11 »

Quote from: Ioden

What does skullfuck MEAN? I don't know. I think Tycho invented it, but that just makes it more unclear what it means. I imagine it involving a skull and a lot of pain.

Go play the first emogame until the very end. It involves what's his face and the dead skull of Steven Tyler. woo!
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

SeanBateman

« Reply #113 on: 08 Jun 2005, 19:37 »

Skull fucking, is having sex with someones eye socket. Usually

Alyonva

« Reply #114 on: 08 Jun 2005, 22:52 »

Skull-fuck - v. To copulate with the head of a person, generally disembodied, via the eye.

Oh, and post-irony is totally a valid concept. This is where people transition from liking crappy things because it is funny, to just genuinely liking crappy things. It's like this...

"Oh man, that knitted wall-square saying "Bless This Mess" is so totally retarded, I must put it in my kitchen. How funny."

to...

"My home is consumed by kitsch. I enjoy it on a visceral level now."

Back to the original topic, though. Yeah, it's cool to hate the White Stripes. I think it's because their whole scrappy, low-key blues rock infused with awkward sexuality worked better on a smaller scale. It felt more genuine. Meg's clunky drumming grounded their music... it made them feel more homespun and huggable. Now that they are sort of a big thing (and thus bigger targets for skepticism) the context has changed. They aren't a scrappy little duo fighting to pay their rent with music. They are a big-name act with a clunky drummer.

I think after the Big Lebowski came out it became cool to hate the Eagles. Sure people who hated the Eagles before might have had a valid point, but it wasn't "cool" to hate them.

Somewhere along the line it became cool to hate The Smiths. And The Cure. Note the difference: before you could very respectably hate these bands, but somewhere along the road it became something of a fashionable statement to hate them. People may not hate them because of said statement, but the statement still exists.

It's cool to hate Weezer. Then again, they took a big nosedive. I think it's cool to hate Radiohead. (Depends on the crowd.) It's totally, totally cool among many circles to hate Coldplay. (Sorry, but... it is.)

It's a weird little thing that happens. You have some small local band... they're pretty good, not perfect... but everyone digs them. If you talk smack about this band, you're being a dick. You should be more supportive. That's like walking into a grammar school piano recital and being all, "You suck, little girl!" You gloss over the blemishes of the music and pipe up the good stuff. You assume that they are good people.

But then they become popular and big and they don't need the support anymore. People pay attention to those flaws. They flaunt that they can identify those flaws. It becomes some weird cool-badge to hate the band for those flaws. You assume that the band is full of rich assholes.

Had Radiohead released "Kid A" as a debut album on a small label I might have thought of it differently. It would have been a totally different context. (I found it, in reality, to be dull and sugar-coated. But then again, I have never been much of a fan.) If Good Charlotte was a small indie pop-punk band playing all-ages venues in the mid-west people would probably be less inclined to be so vocal about their disdain. Sure, they might still suck, but non-fans would probably be more likely to give them an A for effort. If Dave Matthews was a retarded little boy, you might possibly go buy a ticket to a show just to give your support. If Trent Reznor was an acapella singing teenage girl at a high school variety show, I would totally buy her poorly recorded album mastered down from a dictophone tape.

But now, in reality? Fuck those people.

Alyonva

« Reply #115 on: 08 Jun 2005, 22:55 »

Double-post:

I think it shouldn't be looked down upon to judge music for things other than strictly content. If Godspeed You Black Emperor played a show in Chicago during which they hung Confederate flags and banners reading, "Fuck Niggers" ... I probably wouldn't be so receptive to their clever, ambling musical compositions.

Merkava

« Reply #116 on: 09 Jun 2005, 15:50 »

Haha, I think my friend summed it up best whne she described hardcore dancing as "resembling a pidgeon trying to take off and failing".

Silence! Do not insult my beloved Fugazi, Minutemen and Black Flag, for they are supreme. Your hatred of them is foolish.

w00t for you, my friend!

sp2

« Reply #117 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:11 »

Quote from: Alyonva
It's cool to hate Weezer. Then again, they took a big nosedive.

Partly that's because Weezer's main audience are the same jockish assholes that used to flush Rivers Cuomo's head down the toilet in the high school locker room.  It's hard to respect them for that.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #118 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:22 »

Quote from: Jeridus
Thanks to the vast number of emo bands performing for Warped Tour (at least... at the Barrie Ont. venue... not sure about the other venues), it probably won't be quite as good as last year (which, to be fair, was awesome).

I'll see you there, dude! I'll be there with bells on (figuratively speaking, the dressing at warped doesn't need more flamboyancy) and moshing my ass off!

Please don't think that's the way hardcore kids dance. You'll make us cry.

Aw, I'm sorry, I meant neo-hardcore. The hardcore music where the kids where women's pants and have silly haircuts. I'm actually a fan of all three of bands.
I like the way you work it.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #119 on: 09 Jun 2005, 16:27 »

I never even thought of Fugazi as hardcore.  Or Black Flag.  I thought they were just punk (Flag that is.)  Maybe the "CORE" aspect came from musclehead Rollins.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #120 on: 09 Jun 2005, 17:27 »

Only the really early Black Flag stuff had the punk sound. By Damaged they had very much a hardcore sound and approach, and it was nothing to do with Rollins being a musclehead. They were just playing that music, plain and simple. As for Fugazi, you don't get any more hardcore than Ian Mackaye. The man was in Minor Threat after all. It wasn't called 'hardcore' to try to sound tough or anything (at least, not by most people) but because a lot of people wanted to move away from what they saw as the more superficial concerns of punk, where it seemed like it was becoming style over content.

Eww, Skibas, don't mention those bad haircut metal bands. I had to work a gig a little while ago where the first two bands ripped out some good, old-fashioned, fun thrashy hardcore and then I had to sit through two bands with jeans so tight they must surely have had no genitalia and hair that probably cost more than my entire outfit. And I don't even want to think about the music... urgh.

Robbo

« Reply #121 on: 09 Jun 2005, 17:43 »

Please dont call those sort of bands Metal, because they're not. I know you probably dont mean it in that way, but still.

Hey, least most Hardcore is better than Metalcore. Because it's a VERY fine art to make decent Metalcore.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #122 on: 09 Jun 2005, 18:24 »

I kind of love that argument between metalheads and hardcore kids. "You're responsible! No, you are!" No-one wants to think their scene is to be blamed for those bands!

You're right about metalcore. When it's pulled off well like Fall Silent, Thirty Seconds Until Armageddon or Converge it's great, but most of the time... oh dear me no.

Robbo

« Reply #123 on: 09 Jun 2005, 18:36 »

Lol, you're very right man, it literally is like that. Hmmmm, to me and lots of others, those bands are not Metalcore. More Metallic Hardcore, mean like Hardcore but with a Metal influence...rather than a Metal/Hardcore cross-breed.

Metalcore is more Shadows Fall, etc style stuff.

Merkava

« Reply #124 on: 09 Jun 2005, 18:59 »

Older Coldplay = better... I really don't like the new CD

For me...

Parachutes > Rush of Blood

X&Y > Rush of Blood

Parachutes > X&Y

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #125 on: 09 Jun 2005, 20:27 »

bands with jeans so tight they must surely have had no genitalia and hair that probably cost more than my entire outfit. And I don't even want to think about the music... urgh.

Oh man, that made me laugh so hard! <3
I still can't believe that people really like that kind of music. I might be able to tolerate it if I hadn't had a REALLY bad trip at one of my first (and only, after that) hardcore shows.

Robbo

« Reply #126 on: 10 Jun 2005, 00:40 »

Well, considering we're on about the really crap forms of "hardcore" most people in the scene with a brain don't.

Man, I was made to sit through an entire Avenged Sevenfold ablum the other day....*vomits at the memory* what is that SHIT? I mean really? Definatly on the cool to hate list because it's so bad. And some people try to say they're Metal....*vomits again*

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #127 on: 10 Jun 2005, 06:58 »

Yeah? You weren't forced to listen to Taking Back Sunday. That shit can cause  brain tumors.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

louie_louie

« Reply #128 on: 10 Jun 2005, 07:12 »

there's a HUGE difference between pop-punk, melodic punk rock and shitty poser, $$ oriented rock. i think we could include GC in the latter ones so that we would not offend the good pop punk legacy of bands such as Screeching Weasel or The Queers... (and with this im not saying im a fan of this kind of stuff.. i just respecto good, honest music...)

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #129 on: 10 Jun 2005, 07:49 »

Quote from: Robbo
Well, considering we're on about the really crap forms of "hardcore" most people in the scene with a brain don't.

Man, I was made to sit through an entire Avenged Sevenfold ablum the other day....*vomits at the memory* what is that SHIT? I mean really? Definatly on the cool to hate list because it's so bad. And some people try to say they're Metal....*vomits again*

Have you heard the new album? They've gone power metal! And no, I'm not kidding.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Robbo

« Reply #130 on: 10 Jun 2005, 09:39 »

It was Sounding the Seventh Trumpet I had to listen to....I'll track down the new album to pass evil judgement upon it's shitness.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #131 on: 10 Jun 2005, 09:57 »

Quote from: Robbo

Have you heard the new album? They've gone power metal! And no, I'm not kidding.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Oh please God no..

Jeridus

« Reply #132 on: 10 Jun 2005, 11:29 »

I'll see you there, dude! I'll be there with bells on (figuratively speaking, the dressing at warped doesn't need more flamboyancy) and moshing my ass off!.

Rawk on! I"m mostly going to Warped to see the Transplants and Offspring, cause they're fun to see live... but emo-beating is a good reason too.

Now, in response to the immense amount of bashing vis-à-vis Meg White's drumming... it's kind of to be expected, after all, I'm pretty sure it was Jack who taught her to drum in the first place... ... but yeah, I guess after all these years, she probably should have evolved a bit...

so yeah... i forget my point... :S

Robbo

« Reply #133 on: 10 Jun 2005, 14:04 »

Well, I listen to ALL of the new Avenged Sevenfold album....YUCK. That is not god damn Power Metal. Yes, there are some Powe elements in there, but they're weak and badly done. And the Core bits suck as ever.

I'm gonna find who started calling that bollocks Power Metal and kill their family first.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #134 on: 10 Jun 2005, 14:33 »

Rawk on! I"m mostly going to Warped to see the Transplants and Offspring, cause they're fun to see live... but emo-beating is a good reason too.

Yah, I pretty much dislike all the bands at Warped, maybe on the exception of one or two, but I'm going cuz it's a fun place to be, and I always have agreat time AND tradition. I randomly bumped in about 15 people I knew there last year.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #135 on: 10 Jun 2005, 14:55 »

Warped Tour is coming here. It already had a pretty week lineup, but all the bands even POSSIBLY worth seeing (Like, 1 and a half) aren't going to be there. Instead we get the Used and Flogging fucking Molly.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #136 on: 10 Jun 2005, 15:26 »

Only the really early Black Flag stuff had the punk sound. By Damaged they had very much a hardcore sound and approach, and it was nothing to do with Rollins being a musclehead. They were just playing that music, plain and simple. As for Fugazi, you don't get any more hardcore than Ian Mackaye. The man was in Minor Threat after all. It wasn't called 'hardcore' to try to sound tough or anything (at least, not by most people) but because a lot of people wanted to move away from what they saw as the more superficial concerns of punk, where it seemed like it was becoming style over content.

Huh?  Man, now I am really confused.  Superficial concerncs of punk?  How is hardcore being defined here?  Black Flag is all right, I prefer some of their earlier stuff (Wasted is probably my favorite song) but some of the stuff with Rollins was just kind of dumb and thinly hidden misogyny.

Jeridus

« Reply #137 on: 10 Jun 2005, 15:43 »

Quote from: Kai
Warped Tour is coming here. It already had a pretty week lineup, but all the bands even POSSIBLY worth seeing (Like, 1 and a half) aren't going to be there. Instead we get the Used and Flogging fucking Molly.

I forgot about Flogging Molly! What do you have against them... they're fun to listen to

laeta.asinus

« Reply #138 on: 10 Jun 2005, 16:12 »

I think any band under the genre of 'emo' is lovably hated. Not unfairly, of course. With the likes of Dashboard Confessional and Death Cab, 'emo' has been dismissed by hipsters as immature whines of teenage angst.

I have to admit, though, I still LOVE alexisonfire, who are definetly classified as 'emo-core'. I especially LOVE Dallas Green, their guitarist, who played at the White Ribbon Benefit Concert in Toronto with Jully Black - anyone see? (I also LOVE run-on sentences.) Yippee.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #139 on: 10 Jun 2005, 16:19 »

My friend was there. If you saw a little asian girl with red bangs, that was my friend. I believe she went with some guy friend of her's from school.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #140 on: 11 Jun 2005, 02:04 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
Huh?  Man, now I am really confused.  Superficial concerncs of punk?  How is hardcore being defined here?  Black Flag is all right, I prefer some of their earlier stuff (Wasted is probably my favorite song) but some of the stuff with Rollins was just kind of dumb and thinly hidden misogyny.

Wasted's a good song, but I think I prefer the Circle Jerks version. I thought Morris' vocals had improved a lot by then. As for Flag's misogyny, well personally I disagree but I can see where you're coming from with that one, it's a reasonable conclusion.

That's just the way a lot of people who were around in the early days of hardcore seem to talk about the way they saw the punk scene, and they wanted to differentiate themselves from it so started adding the hardcore tag. And also the people who created hardcore were really young, and often seem to have felt alienated from the older punks. It's also pretty understandable when you think of people like the DC edge kids contrasted with the famously druggy punk scene.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up