THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i need help finding a new guitar amp.  (Read 3808 times)

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
i need help finding a new guitar amp.
« on: 11 Jun 2005, 08:30 »

so. here's the problem: i need a new amp, but i don't have a clue. at all.
so i wondered if you guys could help me with some advice, because next week i'll go and check out several amps and i don't know which ones i should check out. i won't have much time so i think i could need a list of decent amps.
they shouldnt cost more than €300 ($366, GBP 200).

thanks a lot :)

edit'd because of my crappy grammar skillz

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jun 2005, 09:20 »

For gigging or practice? Either way, my gut feeling in such a situation would be to find whatever Marshall has the most watts within your price range.

Remember: the more watts, the more pwn. Get one with a built-in pre-amp too, less hassle.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jun 2005, 09:38 »

i was thinking about something like a fender fm212 or a hughes & kettner tour reverb combo... but .. yea, i don't know if they are any good.

edit: it's for a guitar, some rather cheap, but good telecaster copy, if that helps...

OtterErotic

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jun 2005, 13:08 »

Behringer makes very good, very cheap and very sturdy amps.

blindsuperhero

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jun 2005, 13:15 »

Marshalls are good in the <£150 and >£500 price ranges, the MG30 is a pretty nice amp but with your budget you could afford something a bit bigger, and the Marshall Valvestates (if they even still do them) are a crock of shit. A Fender sounds like a nice idea, but I don't really know anything about them.

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2005, 13:40 »

Fender amps are great.

If you're thinking about buying the FM212, I definitely can recommend it.  I happen to have the FM212R (R being reverb.. do they make a non R version?) and it's great.  Good clean stuff plus you can get some nasty distortion.  No need for a metal zone or any of that BS.

La Creme

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jun 2005, 16:27 »

Fender Blues Junior. Tube amp sound, beautiful classic distortion (awesome for Hendrixian Blues), virtually the best built in reverb (the only competition are other Fender tube amps), and shitloads of volume (especially for its size).

Plus, all the knobs go up to 12, which, while unnecessary, is undeniably pimp.

BusterKeaton

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jun 2005, 20:14 »

fender fm212 "your gonna love it for the first couple of weeks"
Go for it if you need it quick. Personally i love using vox twin combo's. Or a marshall cabinet and a custom built tube head. but that's just me. Its sad but true but if you really want a nice amp your gonna pay to much for it.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2005, 20:24 »

If you happened to have had 1800 bucks to spare, I've heard Mesa Boogies are apparently good. I personally know so very fucking little about amps though that I can't tell you anything myself.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jun 2005, 08:25 »

well... looking at my budget, i don't think i can afford any tube amp.

as for sound, it's kind of hard to describe what kind of sound i'll want to have in the end, just that i probably won't use the clean channel so much...
Pages: [1]   Go Up