THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 07:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: wtf is emo?  (Read 12556 times)

Damniel

wtf is emo?
« on: 13 Jun 2005, 09:57 »

what is it???? i wanna know...i tried puzzling it out and i can't...someone tell me!...or i'll cry...in a completly non emotive way that merely makes me all the more manly...*grrrr manly grrrr*

Signum_Tenebrae

wtf is emo?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:00 »

it's gay

Willem

wtf is emo?
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:02 »

In music it's just sad (both lyrically as sounds) softer rock songs (emotional rock, right?). Bright Eyes and stuff like that. Not an expert though so i'm not certain. Hell, i can't even say whether Eels is emo or not for certain..why the hell am I even replying here?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
wtf is emo?
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:17 »

White guys in t shirts playing chords on guitars and singing about their girlfriend dumping them, to generalize.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
wtf is emo?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:20 »

Here we go again... :D

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
wtf is emo?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:21 »

It wouldn't happen if one of the mods stickied one of the countless thousands variations of this thread we've had.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

deborah

wtf is emo?
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:22 »

it used to be bands like assuck.

jawbreaker, slint, and fugazi are sometimes listed as the forefathers of the genre (specific to regional style) without actually belonging to the genre.

you used to be able to tell the emo kids from the normals at the shows because they had their arms crossed over their chests as they softly head banged and rocked back and forth like some autistic kid during the set.  fashion-wise, they were the ones sporting the spock haircut (black dye and all), the tight black jeans, and the pastel cardigan sweaters.

back in the mid to late 90s, no self respecting emo kid/band fessed up to being emo.  that's probably why it's such a slur now.

i think these days anything chris carrabas or the get-up kids releases counts as emo, and all the mimicking bands trying to get on the money train.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
wtf is emo?
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:25 »

Also, all ska kids switched to emo.

deborah

wtf is emo?
« Reply #8 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:30 »

that's true.  i forgot about the slapstick/alkaline trio phenomenon.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
wtf is emo?
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jun 2005, 10:49 »

Ska-na-na, fuck yeah.

blindsuperhero

wtf is emo?
« Reply #10 on: 13 Jun 2005, 11:18 »

Quote from: Willem
In music it's just sad (both lyrically as sounds) softer rock songs (emotional rock, right?). Bright Eyes and stuff like that. Not an expert though so i'm not certain. Hell, i can't even say whether Eels is emo or not for certain..why the hell am I even replying here?

sad softer rock songs : No
Bright Eyes : No
Eels : Not on your life, mate.

ASturge

wtf is emo?
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jun 2005, 11:28 »

I like Emo and Ska.

Going to see Reel Big Fish soon ^_^

Signum_Tenebrae

wtf is emo?
« Reply #12 on: 13 Jun 2005, 11:51 »

Quote from: Awkward Silence
Well, you know that one label, Victory Records? 98% of that's emo.

Victory?  Is that the label that always has ads on Fuse during Uranium and MTV2 during Headbangers ball?  anyways in their commercials I got the impression that they were a metalcore label

Robbo

wtf is emo?
« Reply #13 on: 13 Jun 2005, 12:01 »

Man, that's the first time I've seen Mallcore used on this board....though I dont think it was used right. God Mallcore sucks.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
wtf is emo?
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jun 2005, 12:19 »

mallcore?

deborah

wtf is emo?
« Reply #15 on: 13 Jun 2005, 12:45 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae
Well, you know that one label, Victory Records? 98% of that's emo.

Victory?  Is that the label that always has ads on Fuse during Uranium and MTV2 during Headbangers ball?  anyways in their commercials I got the impression that they were a metalcore label

there used to be more than one victory label.  there was one with a bulldog for a mascot, and the other had a big V or something.  the music directors at my old radio station used to get them mixed up and we'd end up with some really weird ass cds in the bin because of it.

deborah

wtf is emo?
« Reply #16 on: 13 Jun 2005, 12:45 »

bah, stupid computer and its damnable double send

kikanjuuneko

wtf is emo?
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jun 2005, 13:14 »

I give this thread five... no, seven posts before it's locked.

blindsuperhero

wtf is emo?
« Reply #18 on: 13 Jun 2005, 13:34 »

This is emo:

kikanjuuneko

wtf is emo?
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jun 2005, 13:36 »

That guy seriously looks like one of my old classmates, minus the spikey hairdo and emo band.

yipjumpmusic

wtf is emo?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jun 2005, 13:45 »

Beating this dead horse, I will add that often emo simply lacks depth (other music lacks depth too but more often does it on purpose and does not think it is being meaningful) or even when it tries it somehow still is lacking, like someone groping for greater meaning yet it is an innocent genre the way your little brother who still gets into trouble (meaning not innocent like a baby) yet sees the world in ignorant simple ways not that all other genres don't have their fair share of ignorance.  A very united theme/feeling beneath most of the music that makes it sound the same often is there...oh lack of dynamics.  I generalize but still there's something to what I say in my subjective opinion.  There's more to it all but there's that.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
wtf is emo?
« Reply #21 on: 13 Jun 2005, 14:04 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
This is emo:

Now this is a man that knows his onions.

I can't be arsed explaining it to everyone else yet again though. Just go to www.fourfa.com and have a read, he's pretty damn accurate and doesn't give you any detail you don't need. I'll post a link up to a site where you can download some classic emo mp3s in a bit.

sees the world in ignorant simple ways

Oh yeah? And how many other genres have iconic bands that spent more time singing about philosophy and cultural theory than most anything else?
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
wtf is emo?
« Reply #22 on: 13 Jun 2005, 14:14 »

Fourfa > *

The allmusic.com guide to emo is ok too.

SECProto

wtf is emo?
« Reply #23 on: 13 Jun 2005, 14:30 »

you're emo

:)

Signum_Tenebrae

wtf is emo?
« Reply #24 on: 13 Jun 2005, 14:32 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
Oh yeah? And how many other genres have iconic bands that spent more time singing about philosophy and cultural theory than most anything else?

Metal does.

blindsuperhero

wtf is emo?
« Reply #25 on: 13 Jun 2005, 14:43 »

I don't think that really counts

Signum_Tenebrae

wtf is emo?
« Reply #26 on: 13 Jun 2005, 14:47 »

Why not?

blindsuperhero

wtf is emo?
« Reply #27 on: 13 Jun 2005, 14:49 »

Because metal sucks.

OH BOY DID YOU EVER WALK INTO THAT ONE!!!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
wtf is emo?
« Reply #28 on: 13 Jun 2005, 14:57 »

Metal does.

Really? Who? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like to hear them.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Signum_Tenebrae

wtf is emo?
« Reply #29 on: 13 Jun 2005, 15:07 »

Have you ever listened to any black metal?

EDIT:  (good black metal, that is )

Signum_Tenebrae

wtf is emo?
« Reply #30 on: 13 Jun 2005, 15:12 »

Some random bands with philosophical lyrical themes:

Blut Aus Nord
Deathspell Omega
Vintersorg
Sigh
Dødheimsgard

Not to mention how many bands talk about NS philosophy.. but I assume that wouldn't "count" to you.

Praeserpium Machinarum

wtf is emo?
« Reply #31 on: 13 Jun 2005, 15:13 »

who knows and even more importantly who cares...I know I don't ;)

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
wtf is emo?
« Reply #32 on: 13 Jun 2005, 15:15 »

S_T: philosophy =/= racism

re: emo, look up the AMG guide to it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Signum_Tenebrae

wtf is emo?
« Reply #33 on: 13 Jun 2005, 15:20 »

Quote from: Johnny C
S_T: philosophy =/= racism

Do some research.

www.nsbm.org

Robbo

wtf is emo?
« Reply #34 on: 13 Jun 2005, 15:21 »

Quote from: Robbo
Man, that's the first time I've seen Mallcore used on this board....though I dont think it was used right. God Mallcore sucks.

In my opinion, that includes every form of crappy "hardcore", or "gothic", or "metal", stuff like that.

Mallcore, as far I use is it, is a joke name. Used to describe the "alternative" music you hear in American Malls, in Hot Topic and that the wannabe goth/punk/emo kids that hang around those places listen to. Basically includes Nu Metal, Pop Punk, Pop-"Emo" and alike.

And yeah, large amounts of Black Metal covers philosophy, even if some of it is racist.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
wtf is emo?
« Reply #35 on: 13 Jun 2005, 15:43 »

Let's put it this way; What black metal DOESN'T cover some form of philosophy?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
wtf is emo?
« Reply #36 on: 13 Jun 2005, 15:47 »

I just had a look and It's ok, but focusses far too much on just a few bands and leaves out a lot of the most interesting styles and artists. Just far too vague really, if I didn't know anything about emo I don't think it'd give me a good idea of what it was.

Onto the BM, I've really liked the Blut Aus Nord I've heard but it was only mp3s so I had no idea what they were singing about. A friend of mine was supposed to be sorting me out with a tape of good BM but he's taking ages, I'll have to ask him for it again.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
wtf is emo?
« Reply #37 on: 13 Jun 2005, 15:54 »

good jorb

Yeah, I've read Mein Kampf; if you can find a way to convince me that nazism isn't racist... well, you won't be able to find a way to convince me that nazism isn't racist.

APOW: The more interesting styles and artists probably aren't classified on there as emo, then; AMG covers a lot of sub-genres, after all.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Merkava

wtf is emo?
« Reply #38 on: 13 Jun 2005, 16:13 »

I just had a look and It's ok, but focusses far too much on just a few bands and leaves out a lot of the most interesting styles and artists. Just far too vague really, if I didn't know anything about emo I don't think it'd give me a good idea of what it was.

I think it cites the band the lead singer of Fugazi started just before he started Fugazi as the first ever *real* emo band. That would make DC the birthplace of good emo.

SCORE.

*pelvic thrust*

blindsuperhero

wtf is emo?
« Reply #39 on: 13 Jun 2005, 16:20 »

Quote from: Merkava
the band the lead singer of Fugazi started just before he started Fugazi

That's the most verbose identification of a band I've probably ever read. I assume you're talking about Ian Mackaye and Embrace, right?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
wtf is emo?
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jun 2005, 16:25 »

Yeah, DC is undeniably the birthplace of emo, although some reckon it was later bands who toured more widely who really kicked it off as a scene. DC also had the amazing Rites of Spring, one of my all-time favourite bands. DC's been responsible for some damn fine rock over the years. Feel proud, DC residents, feel proud!

Merkava

wtf is emo?
« Reply #41 on: 13 Jun 2005, 16:26 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
Quote from: Merkava
the band the lead singer of Fugazi started just before he started Fugazi

That's the most verbose identification of a band I've probably ever read.

Yeah, I was kind of...uh...preocupied...

*jumps out window*

Korlin

wtf is emo?
« Reply #42 on: 13 Jun 2005, 16:52 »

Rites of Spring and Sunny Day Real Estate, good starting points and both good bands (at least Diary was, for the latter). Got the former's comp on CD recently. Mmmm, s'good stuff.

Heard about Emo Summer, a band who apparently were trying to keep that early emo spirit alive. They got it right in one way though, as they've  now broken up.

Condition Oakland

wtf is emo?
« Reply #43 on: 13 Jun 2005, 17:31 »

I liked emo better when it meant emotionally charged punk rock as opposed to "be a stupid scenester."

Signum_Tenebrae

wtf is emo?
« Reply #44 on: 13 Jun 2005, 17:33 »

good jorb

Yeah, I've read Mein Kampf; if you can find a way to convince me that nazism isn't racist... well, you won't be able to find a way to convince me that nazism isn't racist.

I did not say Nazism is not racist.

I'm simply saying that NS is a philosophy whether you agree with it or not.

Signum_Tenebrae

wtf is emo?
« Reply #45 on: 13 Jun 2005, 17:37 »

Onto the BM, I've really liked the Blut Aus Nord I've heard but it was only mp3s so I had no idea what they were singing about. A friend of mine was supposed to be sorting me out with a tape of good BM but he's taking ages, I'll have to ask him for it again.

Cool, when you get it let me know what bands/tracks are on it.

Outshined

wtf is emo?
« Reply #46 on: 13 Jun 2005, 17:54 »

Look at Drive Thru Records.  Most everything on there is "Emo".  (or Ska)

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
wtf is emo?
« Reply #47 on: 13 Jun 2005, 17:56 »

Quote from: Kai
Let's put it this way; What black metal DOESN'T cover some form of philosophy?

Astoundingly little. Even the 'oooh, it's so fucking COOOOLD' school embodied by Immortal is laced with spiritual and philosophical overtones: indeed, most black and death metal can be argued to be Nihilistic. Hell, read anus.com. As for other genres, About 90% of decent MDM (ie mainly the old stuff) is philosophical in nature: the first two In Flames albums are mainly about Astrology, and most of their middle period albums are about the failings of society, once you chip through Anders Friedens lyrics. Dark Tranquillity and At The Gates as well. Edge of Sanity aren't exactly MDM, but they certainly fit the bill: songs ranging from everything from arguments against religion (The Sinner and the Sadness, Enigma) to pro-gun control rants (Enter Chaos) spatter their albums. Huge portions of viking and folk metal espouse the philosophies of natural religion and criticise our modern society and it's conventions: hell, every single band Martin Walkyiers ever touched has ended up spewing reams of dense philosophical and social commentary, inventing a few genres along the way. Just because it's often more of a subtext doesn't mean it's not there.

Yeah, and don't get me started on doom, mofos. Remember that Black Sabbath were all about banning the bomb, smoking dope and even a touch of religion a couple of times. Maiden never shied away from a good political track either, though they personify the main difference: when Bob Dylan wanted to comment on the hypocrisy of the military and the slide towards Nuclear war, he wrote 'Masters of War'. When Maiden wanted to comment on the same thing, they wrote '2 Minutes to Midnight'. All more veiled, and with more solos.

Erm, ramble ramble.

Emo, eh?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

lil_john_pi

wtf is emo?
« Reply #48 on: 13 Jun 2005, 18:13 »

Emo
Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.

basically if you ever see any1 crying all the time for no other reason than "their life just sucks" you have met an emo kid.

lil_john_pi

wtf is emo?
« Reply #49 on: 13 Jun 2005, 18:20 »

there we go steriotypical emo kid
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up