Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: emo  (Read 13445 times)

tellbobards

emo
« on: 14 Jun 2005, 13:08 »

i really want to know peoples opinion on this: is all music emo? My neighbour said it is. i cant say i agree or disagree. music can contain emotion. all the time? maybe. most of the time? probably in my opinion anyway. but what does everyone think ?considering many people are musically inclined here.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
emo
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2005, 13:16 »

I'm sure this'll get locked pretty soon, but anyway... emo is a term for a specific sub-genre of punk/hardcore. It's not a description, unless you're saying something like 'that band have an emo influence' or 'the vocals are very emo'. But this wouldn't mean the vocals or music were emotional, but that they were similar to that found in emo music. Some emo bands of various kinds:
Rites of Spring
Orchid
Portraits of Past
Embrace
The Hated
Moss Icon
Good place to go to find out more about emo: www.fourfa.com
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

blindsuperhero

emo
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2005, 16:09 »

ALL MUSIC IS EMO

ALL MUSIC IS POST-AVANT-GARDE-SUB-ELECTRO-SPACE-BLUES

Jeridus

emo
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2005, 16:27 »

I... am... emo... ... ... Emo... Phillips...

not really

SeanBateman

emo
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2005, 17:10 »

Didn't this thread just get locked like 2 days ago?

Merkava

emo
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2005, 17:14 »

Your FACE just got locked 2 days ago.

Yeah, that's right.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
emo
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jun 2005, 17:16 »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Truly, 'tis the thread that will not die.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
emo
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jun 2005, 17:23 »

The undead thread...

Since it won't be put down, how about we use it to talk about some good emo bands? I got the Portraits of Past LP in the mail today, and it's rocking my socks thoroughly. The vocals are great, they have just the right kind of edge to the screams.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Signum_Tenebrae

emo
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jun 2005, 17:42 »

TROLL TROLL METAL TROLL TROLL

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
emo
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jun 2005, 17:44 »

I thought you didn't like Finntroll?

Or are you some sort of fiendish closet Trollheim's Grott fan?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Condition Oakland

emo
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jun 2005, 18:32 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
The undead thread...

Since it won't be put down, how about we use it to talk about some good emo bands?

Amazing idea.

I've been listening to a lot of Indian Summer lately. Angry Son is such a good song.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
emo
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jun 2005, 18:51 »

Condition Oakland, I've gotta say that's the coolest avatar I've ever seen.

Outshined

emo
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jun 2005, 18:56 »

All music has some kind of emo(tion) in it... it's impossible to become good enough at playing an instrument without some kind of driving emotion.  The only way we could totally eradicate emo from our music would be to program machines to do it in according to cold, hard, mathematical patterns.

blindsuperhero

emo
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jun 2005, 18:57 »

You're right, Autechre are quite a good band.

Jeridus

emo
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jun 2005, 19:01 »

I enjoy seeing Alkaline Trio, Alexisonfire, Moneen, and Fear Before The March Of Flames live... all very fun shows

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
emo
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jun 2005, 20:11 »

Quote from: Outshined
All music has some kind of emo(tion) in it... it's impossible to become good enough at playing an instrument without some kind of driving emotion.  The only way we could totally eradicate emo from our music would be to program machines to do it in according to cold, hard, mathematical patterns.

Read my first post in this thread. When you're talking about music, emo does not mean emotion, it's a genre.

Anyway... Are Indian Summer the band who never had song titles but then people kept giving their songs titles they thought fit? I've only got a couple of tracks by them but they are pretty good. They have a discography out don't they, or is it out of press?

I've been rather getting into The Hated myself. They'd always rather passed me by before, there was something about the guy's voice I didn't like, but I saw some their stuff in someone's soulseek folders recently and thought I'd give them another try. I'm glad I did, Damned Heart is a great little song. I'm even liking the cover of Rubber Bullets.

zekterellium

emo
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jun 2005, 06:07 »

emo is a subgenre, not a descriptive. saying all music is emo would be like saying all muic is jazz. all music contains emotion, sure, but so does every art form or creative endevour. i guess even a cheese sandwhich contains emotion if when you make it yr hungry enough.

Outshined

emo
« Reply #17 on: 15 Jun 2005, 06:42 »

I know, guys.  I was mostly being sarcastic when I said all music was emo ^_^.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
emo
« Reply #18 on: 15 Jun 2005, 07:19 »

I've been playing the Belle Epoque demo a lot lately, I'd forgotten how good it was. The French rule at emo, the language just sounds so despairing and sexy. Awesome.

Spencer

emo
« Reply #19 on: 15 Jun 2005, 07:19 »

blah blah blah not all music is emo blah blah blah emo is short for emotional hardcore blah blah blah dashboard confessional is not emo blah blah blah

LISTEN TO MORE HOUSE MUSIC

zekterellium

emo
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jun 2005, 07:34 »

rancid shit wank are emo.

_grace_

emo
« Reply #21 on: 15 Jun 2005, 07:53 »

my fave band that i think is emo would have to be Death Cab for Cutie. very good!

Robbo

emo
« Reply #22 on: 15 Jun 2005, 07:57 »

I'm sure that goes against the point that has made in this thread from the start.

_grace_

emo
« Reply #23 on: 15 Jun 2005, 08:10 »

really? how?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
emo
« Reply #24 on: 15 Jun 2005, 08:19 »

I often get this crazy itch to sit some emo kid down with Sopor Aeternus and the Ensemble of Shadows' 'Songs from the Inverted Womb' or 'Dead Lovers Sarabande' and see how long it takes for them to saw their own genitals off in existential anguish.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Condition Oakland

emo
« Reply #25 on: 15 Jun 2005, 10:00 »

Anyway... Are Indian Summer the band who never had song titles but then people kept giving their songs titles they thought fit? I've only got a couple of tracks by them but they are pretty good. They have a discography out don't they, or is it out of press?

Honestly I'm clueless. Someone reccomended them to me, and I was lucky enough to find some tracks on soulseek. I can't find anything about them, every time I try to find something on google the Pedro the Lion song comes up. It sounds like thats possible though.

Edit: Nevermind, I found this little tidbit after searching again.

One thing about Indian Summer is that they never really seem to have any song names, just ones that other people have given them
http://www.collective-zine.co.uk/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=1502

So I guess you were right.

saturnine1979

emo
« Reply #26 on: 15 Jun 2005, 14:08 »

Cap'n Jazz.

mhmmmm

Merkava

emo
« Reply #27 on: 15 Jun 2005, 17:35 »

Quote from: _grace_
my fave band that i think is emo would have to be Death Cab for Cutie. very good!

You fail.

SeanBateman

emo
« Reply #28 on: 15 Jun 2005, 19:03 »

Hmm Emo Bands.
Ummm Bright Eyes is my big one, bit of death cab but I saw a picture of the singer and he was such a stereotype I lost all taste for the music. Jimmy Eat World for a while. And Dashboard too. I've checked out a couple others, but it never really did anything for, since people tend to rep Screamo, which I think is terrible.

QC_fan

emo
« Reply #29 on: 16 Jun 2005, 01:30 »

I love emo, i listen to bands like Taking Back Sunday and Straylight Run, Fallout Boy and Funreal for a friend (if they are emo now-new album is awesome btw) and Finch (if they are emo/screamo at all) and local band called Red Method as well...they are so cool live

zekterellium

emo
« Reply #30 on: 16 Jun 2005, 04:11 »

funeral for a friend are post-hardcore, i think. except post-hardcore tends to be an okay genre thanks to glassjaw, rival schools and stryder, and funeral for a friend just out and out suck.

as for emo - all state champions, anyone?

blindsuperhero

emo
« Reply #31 on: 16 Jun 2005, 04:55 »

Oh no, it's all gone horribly wrong. Nevermind, pack of wolves, you tried your best...

_grace_

emo
« Reply #32 on: 16 Jun 2005, 06:05 »

i failed? shit.

Robbo

emo
« Reply #33 on: 16 Jun 2005, 06:08 »

Man, some people didn't read the thread. Yes Grace, we had this talk about what "Real Emo"...it certainly doesn't sound ANYTHING like DCFC or Bright Eyes or Dashboard Confessional or any of that.

rudeboy

• Plantmonster
emo
« Reply #34 on: 16 Jun 2005, 07:23 »

Quote from: Outshined

not necessarily. some gothic compilations that i have listened to the vocals are completely monotone.

emo band . . . brand new (deja entendu) is the only emo band that i like. all the rest i will pick apart.

Spencer

emo
« Reply #35 on: 16 Jun 2005, 07:25 »

To Recap:

Bright Eyes is not emo.

Neither is Dashboard Confession. Chris Carraba may also be the antichrist.

Death Cab For Cutie is about as far from Emo as you can get while still holding a guitar.

Jimmy Eat World is Emotional Pop music. So is Amy Grant.

Straylight Ray, Taking Back Sunday, Fallout Boy, and Funeral For A Friend - Not Emo. Calling these bands Emo is like calling Good Charlotte Punk.

Finch - Emo by definition I suppose, though I have a hard time finding their music genuine. Just my personal opinion.

Indian Summer - Definitly Emo. One of the originals, one of the best. Yes, they have a Discography, and its really good. As is there "Live at the Blue Universe (or Blue Room. i cant remember)" set.

Moss Icon, Strictly Ballroom, Rites of Spring, Braid, that first Getup Kids album. All of these could accurately be described as emotional hardcore, vis a vis, Emo.

If you gotta be a dick and label everything.

God, why do I allow myself to get sucked into these crap vacumn threads.

LISTEN TO MORE HIP HOP. DIVERSIFY YO' BONDS, NIGGA!

rudeboy

• Plantmonster
emo
« Reply #36 on: 16 Jun 2005, 07:36 »

jawbreaker?

_grace_

emo
« Reply #37 on: 16 Jun 2005, 07:55 »

Quote from: Robbo
Man, some people didn't read the thread. Yes Grace, we had this talk about what "Real Emo"...it certainly doesn't sound ANYTHING like DCFC or Bright Eyes or Dashboard Confessional or any of that.

sorry mate. i'm terrible with genres, i just go by what people say to me, and i've been told that Death Cab are pretty darn emo- ah well!

i think the answer to the question at the start of this thread has been well and truly answered. basically, 'emo' doesn't always just mean 'emotion' but a specific genre. Further, genres are all relative- one person's 'hard-rock' could be another's soft.

QC_fan

emo
« Reply #38 on: 16 Jun 2005, 10:07 »

Quote from: Spencer

Straylight Ray, Taking Back Sunday, Fallout Boy, and Funeral For A Friend - Not Emo. Calling these bands Emo is like calling Good Charlotte Punk

Sorry i got them wrong...

Taking Back Sunday - they call themself a Rock Band in an interview on VH1 website...

Straylight Run - has emo-ish characteristics but the band says they have no genre

FFAF - Taking the emotional drive and melodic heart of emo, the gut-driven power of rock and the hardworking ethic of hardcore

Fall Out Boy - pop/punk, well im done...and now i understand thye might sound like emo but reseacrh the band and find out what genre they are...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
emo
« Reply #39 on: 16 Jun 2005, 10:11 »

OMG BUT HIP HOP SUCKZ MORE THAN EMO

Merkava

emo
« Reply #40 on: 16 Jun 2005, 14:05 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
Hmm Emo Bands.
bit of death cab but I saw a picture of the singer and he was such a stereotype I lost all taste for the music.

You fail as well. How is he a stereotype? Apparently, dressing in moderately tight shirts/semi-casual clothes is emo.

Death Cab is not emo. Looks like most people haven't read this thread. Death Cab has no simmilarities to ANY of the "fake emo" bands like Dashboard and Taking Back Sunday. They're indie pop/indie rock, guys.

[enter Napoleon Dynamite-esque "GOSH"]

MilkmanDan

emo
« Reply #41 on: 16 Jun 2005, 14:17 »

Quote from: blindsuperhero
You're right, Autechre are quite a good band.

Wait, Autechre aren't emo?
Well damn.

Aphi

emo
« Reply #42 on: 16 Jun 2005, 14:20 »

I'm far too lazy to re-read the whole durned thing, so forgive me for any redundancies.

I'm not a /huge/ fan of emo, weemo, screamo, or any other ridiculous subgenre, but I must say--

Geoff Rickly may as well be a /god/, making Thursday the single best band on the planet. Worship them.

Spine Transfer

emo
« Reply #43 on: 16 Jun 2005, 15:26 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

OMG BUT HIP HOP SUCKZ MORE THAN EMO

WHACHU TALKIN BOUT, HIP HOP IS THE BEST.  LISTEN TO SOME "SCREWWED N CHOPPED" MAN, THAT ROCKS!!

SeanBateman

emo
« Reply #44 on: 16 Jun 2005, 21:48 »

DOUBLE YOU TEE EFF HIP HOP IS TEH SUXORZZZZ TRANCE FOR TEH WIN!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!ONE!

Also, Merkava, You fail at not being a dick. He is an overweight dude in thick glasses with a bowl cut. That to me says emo. I suggest you follow Rorty's advice and try to realize that truth isn't objective, and my description of the world is jsut as valid as yours.

Robbo

emo
« Reply #45 on: 17 Jun 2005, 03:53 »

Why does that Emo to you? Because of the media I'm betting. The whole Emo thing happend about 20 years ago, so it sort means there is a right and wrong. Because the two things are not the same.

Please try to get other this "everyone is equally right and valid" stuff, because in same cases, it's just no true. Yeah, musical genres can be subjective, but not THAT subjective. Have a listen to the various....types of Emo and tell me they're the same.

Korlin

emo
« Reply #46 on: 17 Jun 2005, 05:30 »

I've been playing the Belle Epoque demo a lot lately, I'd forgotten how good it was. The French rule at emo, the language just sounds so despairing and sexy. Awesome.

Any idea where I can get me some French emo such as this?

Merkava

emo
« Reply #47 on: 17 Jun 2005, 07:23 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
DOUBLE YOU TEE EFF HIP HOP IS TEH SUXORZZZZ TRANCE FOR TEH WIN!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!ONE!

Also, Merkava, You fail at not being a dick. He is an overweight dude in thick glasses with a bowl cut. That to me says emo. I suggest you follow Rorty's advice and try to realize that truth isn't objective, and my description of the world is jsut as valid as yours.

lol

QC_fan

emo
« Reply #48 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:27 »

Hawthorne Heights is an emo band...and i have reseached them and THEY are emo

QC_fan

emo
« Reply #49 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:27 »

Hawthorne Heights is an emo band...and i have reseached them and THEY are emo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up