Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: emo  (Read 13444 times)

Merkava

emo
« Reply #50 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:29 »

Researched where? Everyone and their cousin has a different opinion on what emo is. Right here, we are talking about the GOOD emo, meaning the stuff like Fugazi and Jawbox. Hardcore.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
emo
« Reply #51 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:32 »

I'M DUMB
SHE'S A LES-BI-AN
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Merkava

emo
« Reply #52 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:59 »

<3 Bateman

SeanBateman

emo
« Reply #53 on: 17 Jun 2005, 19:39 »

that is most definately emo. Merkava, lets be friends!

Merkava

emo
« Reply #54 on: 17 Jun 2005, 21:41 »

*make out session ensues*

JK. Yes, dumb argument. *shakes hand*

Anyway...

Me likes the old emo. *bows down to Fugazi and Jawbox*

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
emo
« Reply #55 on: 18 Jun 2005, 05:50 »

I don't know much about emo, though i do have good friends who are in to what appears to be 'proper' emo, as in emotional hardcore and so forth. This does, however, appear to be roughly similiar to the thread that happens on every metal forum once a month or so, you know, when DaniFilth195 says Cradle of Filth are his favourite metal band, and Lord Chronos the Unwholesome reads the riot act on the Norwegian first wave, only for Krzgaflknoktzalackack to sneer that only the first Mayhem demo possesed the true blackflame of Satan, and for the whole topic to degenerate into a huge wank session about who has the most Les Legiones Noires vinyl.

People aren't that different, really.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
emo
« Reply #56 on: 18 Jun 2005, 07:57 »

All the emo I've heard gets a big 'hme'. None of it stands out to me.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

saturnine1979

emo
« Reply #57 on: 18 Jun 2005, 10:25 »

not to beat a dead horse further, but just to clarify....

Death Cab For Cutie started out as a slowcore band and have gradually become more indie rock.

Bright Eyes, while generally being depressing as fuck, is indie folk.

I can't stand these recent "emo" bands like Hawthorne Heights and Matchbook Romance, etc.. It's just fucking annoying whining and cliche lyrics with ridiculously simple song structures. I can take that level of sadness from Bright Eyes because at least Conor makes it interesting with great lyrics and interesting songs.

These new bands pale in comparison to their forebearers.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
emo
« Reply #58 on: 18 Jun 2005, 11:02 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
the whole topic to degenerate into a huge wank session about who has the most Les Legiones Noires vinyl.

avant guardism is fun!
also israel

Merkava

emo
« Reply #59 on: 18 Jun 2005, 17:58 »

Quote from: saturnine1979
not to beat a dead horse further, but just to clarify....

Death Cab For Cutie started out as a slowcore band and have gradually become more indie rock.

WTF. Something About Airplanes was Indie Rock, through and through, and a classic in it's genre. I'd say they've become more Indie Pop, especially with We Have the Facts and Transatlanticism).

Condition Oakland

emo
« Reply #60 on: 18 Jun 2005, 21:37 »

Quote from: saturnine1979

I can't stand these recent "emo" bands like Hawthorne Heights

SO CUT MAH RISTS N BLACK MA EYEZ!

Favorite Hawthorne Heights line. Man, it's so good it hurts!

Really though, it does hurt, Because although it is funny, my ears bleed everytime I listen to it.

saturnine1979

emo
« Reply #61 on: 18 Jun 2005, 23:12 »

Merkava:
I'll give you indie rock, but technically slowcore (or more accurately, sadcore...i know, a ridiculous sounding genre name) is a sub-genre of indie rock, so either "label" is correct.

I definitely think The Photo Album and even moreso Transatlaticism have seen Death Cab writing more typically pop style songs with catchier melodies and tighter structures. Songs like "Transatlanticism" and "We Looked Like Giants" are like earlier stuff with a poppier sheen.

Mnementh

emo
« Reply #62 on: 18 Jun 2005, 23:57 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I don't know much about emo, though i do have good friends who are in to what appears to be 'proper' emo, as in emotional hardcore and so forth. This does, however, appear to be roughly similiar to the thread that happens on every metal forum once a month or so, you know, when DaniFilth195 says Cradle of Filth are his favourite metal band, and Lord Chronos the Unwholesome reads the riot act on the Norwegian first wave, only for Krzgaflknoktzalackack to sneer that only the first Mayhem demo possesed the true blackflame of Satan, and for the whole topic to degenerate into a huge wank session about who has the most Les Legiones Noires vinyl.

People aren't that different, really.

I think this explains why I'm locking this thread.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up