THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "inking"  (Read 5035 times)

Mikintosh

• Emoticontraindication
"inking"
« on: 15 Jun 2005, 21:15 »

How does one create the "inking" effect without actually using a pen or whatnot? 'Cause I'm a pencil man, but said drawings don't come out very well on the computer.

Acegikmo

"inking"
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2005, 00:37 »

Most people use a tablet, I don't have that luxury so I end up inking them, scanning into flash and then deleting the space around them

torg

"inking"
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2005, 02:03 »

I use a tablet, too, and I dont draw on paper at all... but I guess you could just scan your line art and adjust the the colour of the scan to only black and white...

Primate

"inking"
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2005, 05:04 »

It should be noted that computers can handle scanned pencil drawings and turn out quite pleasant results (online, check out http://www.megatokyo.com or offline, check out Sandman: The Wake). You want to set your scanner to scan at 300 or 600 dpi to get a detailed enough scan that will look decent when printed back out. Of course, you'll have to clean it using a computer program, but you were going to need one of those to ink without pens anyways. The industry standard is probably Photoshop (or its stripped down versions like Photoshop Elements). Photoshop has an eraser you can use to subtract any odd background color you picked up during the scan. It also has a nice set of tools for inking. I know the magazine Draw! has had some nice articles about inking using Photoshop. Also I know others around here have suggested other and cheaper art programs than Photoshop. But as has already been noted, a graphics tablet, like the ones Wacom sells, makes life much easier for doing art on a computer.

Sideways

"inking"
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2005, 07:21 »

Steps I take:

-Sketch
-Clean the sketch
-Scan it
-New Layer
-Ink with Tablet

Don't let people steer you away from the tablet... ever.  It takes awhile to rewire your brain when using one (drawing on one surface, but not looking at your drawing-surface, rather looking a foot or so away at a screen... it's odd at first).

A cheap Wacom tablet will run you $100.00, and it's a sound investment.

Mikintosh

• Emoticontraindication
"inking"
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2005, 11:17 »

Yeah, I bought a tablet once, but it had extremely crappity pen detection, so I returned it the next day. But yes, when more disposable income arrives my way, most definately.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
"inking"
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2005, 15:34 »

there's a way to do it without a tablet, very time consuming though.  the only time i ever tried is for the fan art thing i did here.  just make sure the drawing is clear of grey tones and smudges before scanning. use the burn tool set to shadows to darken them up.  after that, a medium sized soft brush eraser and the block eraser to clean up anything the physical eraser missed that the burning brought out.  i found this preferable to the brightness/contrast adjusting.  this way, by changing brush sizes on the burn tool, you don't lose any fine line work.

i was never a big fan of tablets, now i swear by one when i can get my mits on it.

saturnine1979

"inking"
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jun 2005, 01:45 »

my tip: don't use photoshop to digitally ink.

it's a great program for almost everything else (especially color!), but lines should be done in a vector program. not only is it hella easier to draw in a vector program (Flash, especially. you can smooth or straighten your lines with one mouseclick), but you can also resize the lines you make to whatever size you need without losing quality. this also means it's alot easier to edit the lines you make.

try scanning a drawing and then going over it in Flash with a tablet. just make sure the scanned layer is locked, and then draw away.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
"inking"
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2005, 04:16 »

but vector based programs generally make it harder to get it how you want what with the whole snapping into place thingy

i hate illustrator, but i have a feeling i will need to learn it
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

torg

"inking"
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2005, 05:40 »

i guess you can turn off the 'snapping-to-grid'-function... at least you can in all vector-based programs that I know...

Sideways

"inking"
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2005, 08:50 »

The lines come out so much cleaner on programs like Illustrator and Flash... but I still refuse to use them for inking.

Same reason why I refused the temptations of the Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, B, A, Start.

You want smooth lines?  Draw smoother.

JJMitchell

"inking"
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:02 »

Contra references ... ah the good old days.

Sideways

"inking"
« Reply #12 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:28 »

Cheating reference, Contra reference... it's all the same.  :P

I loved that game as a kid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up