THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 03:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arcade Fire - Cold Wind/Intervention  (Read 4739 times)

QHD

Arcade Fire - Cold Wind/Intervention
« on: 16 Jun 2005, 05:59 »

http://dailyrefill.blogs.com/daily/2005/06/new_arcade_fire.html <-- Cold Wind
http://www.stereogum.com/archives/001154.html <-- Intervention

Well, I think Intervention is pretty awesome. But neither are good enough for their next album to match Funeral. What do you guys think? TBH I don't see the next album keeping up the quality, which is a shame. Still, Intervention is very good indeed. I know probably neither of these will be album tracks.

Mikendher

« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2005, 08:24 »

The intervention mp3 link isn't working.

I think cold wind is pretty good, mabye not as much as stuff from funeral, but whatever :-)

_grace_

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2005, 08:40 »

what i don't understand is why The Arcade Fire aren't more widely known and acknowledged- none of my friends have heard of them. could this just be because of my location (most isolated city in the world or something like that)?

Coolhanderik

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2005, 08:48 »

Yeah the intervention mp3 link isn't working for me, but cold wind was pretty good.

Yeah it might be were you're located, most of my friends atleast have heard of The Arcade Fire.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2005, 08:54 »

*dons asbestos suit*

I don't really see what the big deal is with the Arcade Fire.  I have Funeral, and while I think it's alright, there were much better albums that came out last year.  I think people are so caught up in this sort of new band revival of these avant-garde influences (I.e. interpol/joy division (which I never understood), Arcade Fire/talking heads (again...aside from maybe two tracks I don't really see it) that bands like this end up getting hyperbolized, to the point where they can't possibly live up to the hype.

Although I haven't seen them live yet, and I heard that makes a big difference in evaluating them.

QHD

« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2005, 09:03 »

Seeing them live does really change it. But it is an awesome album - even if you don't think it's incredible, it's so radically different, more complex, more beautiful than almost everything else around. And it pours emotion into music, when emotion had become almost a bad word (well, emo). I don't listen to Funeral much now but I really do think the Arcade Fire were and are, like Radiohead, worth the hype. I just don't think it's going to do their next album much good - Win seems really unhappy with the fame and the over-analysis and he was frankly just plain rude to the audience at the Astoria. He's still a genius but I think the very personal, very well "neighbourhood" feel of Funeral is going to be impossible to take on to the sophomore album. Maybe they should just split up while they're on top.

Anyhoo, sorry about the Intervention link. Look for it though. Really awesome song.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2005, 09:24 »

Quote from: QHD
I just don't think it's going to do their next album much good - Win seems really unhappy with the fame and the over-analysis and he was frankly just plain rude to the audience at the Astoria. He's still a genius but I think the very personal, very well "neighbourhood" feel of Funeral is going to be impossible to take on to the sophomore album. Maybe they should just split up while they're on top.

Well funeral would feel pretty neighborhood-y, since about half the songs on there are titled "neighborhood." :P

I heard Win was pretty rude in D.C. too, but the D.C. crowd probably deserved it. (Ultra-jaded been-there/done-that hipsters who stare at the band with their arms crossed for most of the show=just about every crowd at almost every show I've ever been to in D.C.)

zekterellium

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2005, 10:51 »

funeral is definitely one of my favourite albums ever, but i gotta say the new tracks sound kinda sketchy. but yeah, the level of expection now'll be insane, what with all the people pretending they were into them from the very beginning and the record company realising they have themselves a fucking money maker. the prollem really is that, when you make something really personal, and a lot of people get it then it kind of ruins it for you. i'm worried nothing they do will ever be as wrought again because of how everything is turning out. not that they don't deserve success, but it would still suck to see them fall from grace like that.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2005, 13:04 »

Whoever made the reference of them to the Talking Heads is not a very good music...journalist...person. Because you know, the Talking Heads don't suck.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Merkava

« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2005, 13:38 »

Quote from: JLM
I just don't think it's going to do their next album much good - Win seems really unhappy with the fame and the over-analysis and he was frankly just plain rude to the audience at the Astoria. He's still a genius but I think the very personal, very well "neighbourhood" feel of Funeral is going to be impossible to take on to the sophomore album. Maybe they should just split up while they're on top.

Well funeral would feel pretty neighborhood-y, since about half the songs on there are titled "neighborhood." :P

I heard Win was pretty rude in D.C. too, but the D.C. crowd probably deserved it. (Ultra-jaded been-there/done-that hipsters who stare at the band with their arms crossed for most of the show=just about every crowd at almost every show I've ever been to in D.C.)

We deserve to be. We had Fugazi, Jawbox, The Dismemberment Plan, and so on. We actually came up with good emo. XP

Still, I would never watch a show like that. Besides the fact that my limbs may snap off if I stay in one position for too long, their music is impossible to listen to while keeping still.

I barely ever listen to Funeral anymore. It was cool at first, but it doesn't have much lasting value, at least for me.

I wouldn't say they suck. They really have something good and unique. I also wouldn't say the Talking Heads are their main influence. It's one of them, to be sure, but they mesh so many different sounds. You can't pinpoint one artist.

Aside from this, I agree:

Talking Heads = teh awesome

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Re: Arcade Fire - Cold Wind/Intervention
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2005, 20:36 »

But neither are good enough for their next album to match Funeral.

See, I'll be honest; I loved Funeral, but I thought the album was incredibly hyped. So because I don't have the ludicrously high expectations most people do (seriously, how do you follow up an album for which Pitchfork and TinyMixTapes come together to declare it "album of the year?"), I consider these tracks to be leading towards an album of similar quality to Funeral, i.e. awesome.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Merkava

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2005, 20:45 »

Obviously people are thinking that the follow up has to sound exactly like the original. You can't evolve something like Funeral. There's no other way to go but sideways.

_grace_

« Reply #12 on: 19 Jun 2005, 05:51 »

Quote from: Merkava

Talking Heads = teh awesome

no shit! i've basically grown up listening to wicked music (thanks to my mum!) and Talking Heads has had a huge influence on what i now listen to, as they were the most played during my youth after Blur and the Eurythmics.
Pages: [1]   Go Up