THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 03:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ridiculous concert trip stories  (Read 5455 times)

deborah

ridiculous concert trip stories
« on: 16 Jun 2005, 09:32 »

what's the stupidest thing that has happened to you on the way to or from a show?

i went to see built to spill in omaha several years ago and, due to a lack of planning on the carpoolers part, had to ride back to sioux falls in a ford taurus trunk...and the driver got pulled over for speeding.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2005, 09:46 »

On the way to see Fishbone/Skatellites/ and a few other bands back in 1992, the floor of our car started on fire and we had to pull over to put it out/cool down the radiator.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2005, 10:27 »

Our car got towed outside the GWAR concert. it was worth it, though.
also israel

heretic

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2005, 11:10 »

i got busted at bonnaroo, coming in the gate. whole 12 hour drive with no problems, then we get there and get fucked

deborah

« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2005, 12:04 »

i once drove from sioux falls. sd to minneapolis, mn by way of osh kosh, wi to see seam.  i left about six am and got to minneaoplis at about six pm.  and after the show, i drove back to osh kosh.  (i made the monumentally dumb mistake of offering my friend a ride to the show when i was drunk the night before)
that was 1500 hundred miles i shouldn't have put on the car that day.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2005, 12:59 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
Our car got towed outside the GWAR concert. it was worth it, though.

Getting your car crushed by something really big while your mother was inside is still worth seeing GWAR.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2005, 14:10 »

Well, this wasn't so much getting there or back, but when I was standing in line to go see.....some punk band (can't recall who) when I was 16, it was extremely cold and whilst swigging booze on the street in line, one of my friends got the bright idea to to start a fire from newspapers. It was great for a couple of minutes...then it got out of control and me and another friend of mine stomped it out while 10 other teenage girls screamed like mad. DONT SCREAM AND KICK THE FIRE! HELP US STOMP IT OUT, JACKASSES!
I like the way you work it.

Coolhanderik

« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2005, 15:09 »

Last year on the way to warped tour my friend was driving, and she had just gotten her license...anyway we got off on the wrong exit, realized it was the wrong exit, and backed up back to the highway, there was a track coming towards us but luckily there was like a weird split and the truck went the other way.

ReverandMaynard

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jun 2005, 07:34 »

Me, and my buddies Phil & Dustin were on our way back from seeing Story of the Year, My Chemical Romance, and Autopilot Off in Charlotte.  On our way back, Phil misses an exit.  So he decides to back up - ON THE INTERSTATE - then pull into his exit.  Well, just as he starts going forward again, we get rear-ended by another car and here crunching metal and glass - and everyone let's out a resounding OH @#$%!!!!

But Phil apparently needed to retain his title of "luckiest little bastardo alive", so when we got back home we checked out his car - not a scratch.  Seriously, his car was unscathed (which means the car that hit us got tore tha @#$% up)

The moral of the story: If you can, buy a Toyota Tercel.  Seriously - tough mother-@#$%ing cars :)

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jun 2005, 08:48 »

Once I drove to North Adams, MA instead of Northampton.  Oops.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

deborah

« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2005, 09:01 »

this one time
in sioux falls
neurosis came to play.
and they were so not my thing i spent most of the show outside smoking cigarettes until i frostbit the small toes on my left foot.  so i went inside to run them under lukewarm water, and spent the rest of the show sitting at the closed bar.  that weasely dude in the cage from gwar kept giving me the eye, but i didn't know it was the guy from gwar, so i just got really creeped out.

i know it's not really about to or from, but it's peripheral to the actual show, and i started the thread, so i say it counts.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #11 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:27 »

I went to a James Brown concert last year with a friend of mine who'd wrangled a pair of free tickets, and the following things happened:

1) We were seated right next to the entrance to the floor, so we wound up being scrutinized by the old lady named Mildred or something who apparently thought we spent the majority of the concert stoned or something. We laughed.

2) Mildred refused to let the opening act, Kyle Riabko, onto the floor, stating that his VIP pass was good for "backstage only." Riabko got pissed and took his girlfriend to the next floor entrance, where the guard stepped aside instantly. Mildred glared daggers at him.

3) James Brown was pouring champagne into glasses and handing said glasses to the audience members who were right in front of the stage, and paused to get ID from one.

4) He brought up some nervous university kid who'd had a VIP pass or something and informed us that the kid was "gonna get back to his studies" and that we should all stick to our studies, "don't wanna end up like [trails off]." Then he launched into "Sex Machine."

5) The song "America" included the city we were in, Saskatoon, which is in CANADA, during the part where James Brown rattles off American city names. My friend and I weren't sure whether we were supposed to be honoured or a little afraid.

6) At the end of the show, James Brown went offstage, ran into this blonde woman who was waiting for him on the side of the stage and clapping, took her hand, went back onstage, introduced the woman as "Morgan Fairchild" and began to dance with her. She grabbed the mic and declared that he was the greatest singer ever. I found out later that, although I had just thought James Brown was ranting, the woman he had brought to the front was, in fact, Ms. Fairchild herself, and that the event had made news in Regina.

Ridiculous enough for you?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Fragmentsofme

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jun 2005, 00:59 »

Met my soon to be wife at a local show.  I also watched as the guitarist from Seether stagger around drunk and tell my friend Matt that he'd drink his balls.  Fun stuff.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jun 2005, 01:57 »

This wasn't a stupid thing, but rather an awesome thing that happened to me.  A little while ago I went to see Darren Hanlon performing here in Melbourne - I'd already gone to see him the night before, and had such a good time that I decided to go to his second show as well.  I didn't have a ticket for that show, so I had to queue up - but when I arrived at the venue, literally about two seconds before me a girl arrives who's there to review the show for one of Melbourne's street mags.  They had her name on the door - "Plus One".  Her housemate had cancelled on her, so because I was next in the queue I got the spare ticket!  So not only did I get into a show by one of my favourite performers for free, I also got to meet a really cool girl and get her 'phone number.  We've gone to a couple of other shows since, and she's turning out to be an awesome gig-buddy.  Sweet!

Carrion

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jun 2005, 05:49 »

Partied with the polyphonic spree a few years back, the crazy drugged up monkeys.  An avid clarinetist, or I was.. 5 years ago.. I tried to convince Tim Delaughter they needed me in the band. He let me down gently. One of them burned off part of his scarf for me with his lighter, but it got lost. And I stole a wee kiss from an anglophile with bushy hair.. I don't know what his role was. Was he even in the band or just a guy sporting a robe? Hmm. Was home for 6.45am and behind my checkout ready for a full day's work at 8.

Rock.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #15 on: 20 Jun 2005, 07:12 »

Quote from: Inlander
My life is awesome.

I would say something complimentary, but I'm incoherent with jealous rage.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

heretic

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2005, 07:25 »

went to a George clinton and P Funk concert earlier this year. we were packing up our last bowl in the House of Blues and we thought, "maybe george would like some" as he'd already hit one bowl that night. we pack up the lasty of our shit and move toward the stage. my friend hands it up to him, he takes a hit, stiffles a cough, gives us a thumbs up, and pockets the fucking bowl. he stole my friend's glass piece! but it's cool cause we know it led an interesting life at least until he broke it.

oh and, not as cool, but really fun, i hosted a show at which Long Shot hero kicked off thier east coast album tour, and after the show (fun but not the best turnout) they all came back to my house and we got drunk and ate pizza. i have video of a drunken Long Shot Hero, eBay anyone?

iamlark

« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2005, 02:27 »

last friday, a group of us drove to see mindless self indulgence in springfield, mo (worst date on the tour i must add).

seven people total left home to see the show, only five returned.

i was in one car with my brother, the other five were in another. when we were about 30 minutes from our destination, i recieved a frantic call from my friend in the other call. he wouldn't tell me exactly what was going on, only that they were pulled over on the side of the road and i needed to get there quickly.

when i finally got there, i was informed that trey* had taken three hits of acid, and was freaking out. apparently, he thought that they were going the wrong way and was trying to climb into the drivers seat to correct their course, effectively making the vehicle dangerously swerve multiple times. he was also punching and kicking the other people in the car when they tried to calm him down.

anyway, when i got there, he was sitting in the very back of the car (his ford explorer), trying to escape from the vehicle. he threw a guitar pedal through the back window and tried to crawl through the hole. when we stopped him, he then grabbed an extenstion cable sitting in the back and attempted to strangle himself. we eventually wrestled him down to where i was able to hold him by myself, and we called the paramedics. it took an hour for anyone to arrive, but eventually we had six police cruisers and one ambulance there (yes, six cops came to witness this). each and every cop asked everyone the same questions, while the others would stand to the side and crack jokes about the whole thing
finally, the EMTs took over and took our friend off to the hospital, and (after we had called his parents to let them know what was going on), we went on to the show.

worst of all, the show sucked. very small turn-out, no energy from the band, just blah.

anyway, that's my worst concert experience to date.

*name not changed to proctect the innocent. seriously folks, don't take acid for the first time when you're stuck in the back of a car on a road trip.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #18 on: 26 Jun 2005, 03:04 »

Some might say never take it but yes, that would be one of the worse times to do that...

rudeboy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #19 on: 26 Jun 2005, 03:27 »

just last night i took a couple of busses to get to Wayne so i could see Too Short Notice, but the venue canceled the show when i got there.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #20 on: 26 Jun 2005, 05:39 »

Back in Novemeber my friend Christine and I tokk the train down to NYC to see Modest Mouse at Radio City. Christine claimed she could find her way around the Manhattan with no problem... so we're leaving the show, and we walk around Manhattan, lost, for the next hour. God only knows why I let her continue her charade for that long. It was mid November, and it was fucking freezing. Finally I convince her to let us hail a cab to Grand Central Station... it was literally four blocks away.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.
Pages: [1]   Go Up