Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Manga  (Read 2969 times)

JJMitchell

Manga
« on: 16 Jun 2005, 11:22 »

Am I the only old fart on the boards doesn't get why Manga is so huge?

I grew up on Jim Lee and McFarland.  I like that style of art.  

I'm not looking to start a which art is better argument just wondering if someone could explain what is so fascinating about Mange for them.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Manga
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2005, 11:50 »

Hmm, I like both manga and traditional comics.  Why is manga so huge?  Clever marketing maybe.  It doesn't matter how something is done you'll find a majority of it is crap while some of it is good, some of it bland and mediocore and a tiny amount of genius.

Manga tends to not be as restricted in subject matter and content is one thing. The stigma of "comics are only for kids" doesn't seem as strong either, while there is manga geared torward younger audiences (and a good portion of this is what is popular and more noticable) there is quite a bit of manga geared torward more mature audiences.

Not sure if that helps at all but I need more coffee.

Digs

Manga
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2005, 15:06 »

I enjoy manga for a variety of reasons, but it mostly takes the form of depth of story and art. I love seeing a symbol crafted with loving care by a skilled artist. I love to believe that that pipe must be, clearly is a pipe.

TBW

Manga
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2005, 08:32 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
Hmm, I like both manga and traditional comics.  Why is manga so huge?  Clever marketing maybe.  It doesn't matter how something is done you'll find a majority of it is crap while some of it is good, some of it bland and mediocore and a tiny amount of genius.

Manga tends to not be as restricted in subject matter and content is one thing. The stigma of "comics are only for kids" doesn't seem as strong either, while there is manga geared torward younger audiences (and a good portion of this is what is popular and more noticable) there is quite a bit of manga geared torward more mature audiences..
I think manga also offers a lot more to female readers than mainstream comic books.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Manga
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2005, 09:23 »

I don't see why people hold manga and other comic books in such different esteem. I mean, I've borrowed my friend's hulk books, and he's borrowed my Ruroni Kenshin books. It's not a different artform, it's the EXACT SAME FREAKING THING. The only difference is how it is read (left to right/right to left).
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

saturnine1979

Manga
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2005, 15:08 »

I happen to like the style better. It may be the draw of something exotic, or different from what I grew up with. I used to read X-Men and Spiderman comics, and I watched cartoons like every kid on Saturdays. All of them had the same sort of "American comic" style, so when I discovered the manga style, it was something completely different.

Personally I think I like it better because it appears more stylish than American comics. Manga tends to take liberties with natural and "real" objects in order to make them look... cooler. American comics tend to be either extrememly realistic and rigid, or extremely cartoonish and childlike. I think Manga strikes that area right in between where realisism and cartoon meet.

Primate

Manga
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2005, 10:18 »

And lets not overlook that two generations have grown up on anime (I can't believe I used to like Voltron as a kid. I had no taste). So there was an audience already prepped to be willing to read stuff imported from Japan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up