THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 03:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mix Community  (Read 5143 times)

saturnine1979

Mix Community
« on: 16 Jun 2005, 12:38 »

I was browsing through the thread about the Mix Tape trade and just wanted to let you guys know that if you're interested, and have an LJ, myself and two of my friends moderate a mix community.

http://www.livejournal.com/community/cdoftheweek/

Each week, one of our moderators posts a theme for the community to create a mix CD that fits the requirements. We try to make things fun and creative, and the community is very open to all different kinds of music. In fact, we love to see new music, or music we've never heard of.

If you're into mixes and you have an LJ, I suggest heading on over and joining us; we'd love to have some new members.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Mix Community
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2005, 12:47 »

I may resurrect my livejournal for this purpose. But later, not I watch FLCL.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Mix Community
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2005, 12:57 »

Hey, something on LiveJournal that doesn't involve reading about people's naps or how they ate the best sandwhich. woo!
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

MilkmanDan

Mix Community
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2005, 14:05 »

I might look into it. I joined LJ a few weeks back for shits and giggles, and so far it sucks ass. Possibly because I don't know anyone on it, or possible because it is just wack. I also made the mistake of applying to some music community populated entirely by elitist assholes, who seem to do nothing but tear apart the applications of innocent's such as myself. God, that was a blunder. I seriously fucking resent asking for recammendations and having people try to replace my current music taste, rather than add to it. Fuck off.
Anyway, with that uncalled-for rant over, I will go and look at your community.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Mix Community
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2005, 15:33 »

I will join this community, but you will all just be :o and be scared at the mixes I suggest.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Mix Community
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2005, 15:55 »

I want Khar's mixes but I can never find files. Skyclad is a bitch to find.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

saturnine1979

Mix Community
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2005, 16:44 »

^_^ Don't worry Khar, there's quite a bit of variety in the community... I don't think we have any metal people (which I think is what your taste is...right?), but we definitely welcome the viewpoint.

Milkman: we're the farthest thing from eletist. Us three moderators have similar but distinctly different tastes in music, and I know plenty of the members have varying tastes too, and we respect everyone for their personal tastes.

That said, you might get ragged on for excessive Avril Lavigne or Whitney Houston, but it's not like we would completely castrate you.

...You'd do that to yourself by virtue of the appearance of the previously mentioned artists on your own mix.

mee-kay-la

Mix Community
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2005, 18:02 »

Like that idea for a community-- joined.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Mix Community
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2005, 18:10 »

Quote from: saturnine1979
^_^ Don't worry Khar, there's quite a bit of variety in the community... I don't think we have any metal people (which I think is what your taste is...right?), but we definitely welcome the viewpoint.

...Do you already have some guy who loves music weirder than Zappa if he were on acid?

Mikendher

Mix Community
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2005, 18:38 »

I don't understand how it works... yes I'm slow. (and I looked at it, I just can't figure it out) help?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Mix Community
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2005, 18:40 »

hehe, that was great fun

http://www.livejournal.com/community/cdoftheweek/39972.html#cutid1

I always end up doing wierd takes on topics though.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

saturnine1979

Mix Community
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2005, 19:58 »

Mikendher: check out our info page
http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=cdoftheweek
for detailed instructions.

And check the memories section for actual examples of mixes.

Basically, you see the theme announcement each week and go to work selecting songs to make into a mix cd that fits the rules listed on the announcement.

Most of them are open ended, but there was one mix where every song had to be under 3 minutes (i.e. the perfect pop song), so you could only pick songs under that length of time. The basic idea of making a mix is to limit your song selections by some sort of criteria so that the final product expresses some sort of mood, feeling, or purpose. The final result should be cohesive and should be readily identifiable as a "driving mix", "love mix", etc.

If you need help or any more info, feel free to send me or musikdork228 an IM.

Thanks to KharBevNor for joining and posting an awesome mix!

Hope to see more of you join in.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Mix Community
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2005, 20:09 »

I joined, but I may or may not make a mix for this one, depending if I have enough songs to make it worthwhile.

MilkmanDan

Mix Community
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jun 2005, 08:59 »

Quote from: saturnine1979
Milkman: ...You'd do that to yourself by virtue of the appearance of the previously mentioned artists on your own mix.

Which mix? Do you mean the mix tape trade thing? Yeah, that's a pretty acurate sample of my music. Well, it's not bad.
Whatever, I've joined. I'll probobly start posting mixes for the next theme, as I'm a little busy right now. I'll bring Underground Hip-Hop, Electronica, and general wierdness to the procedings. Unless of course other people already have.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Mix Community
« Reply #14 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:13 »

I caved and Posted a mix. I'm the Lovable Cynic. woo!

saturnine1979

Mix Community
« Reply #15 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:22 »

haha, nonono. milkman, i was referring to Avril Lavigne or Whitney Houston in my reply, not your musical taste.

underground hip-hop and electronica sound awesome. i think you'll find that our moderator "theribit", as well as musikdork228 and I, love underground hip-hop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up