THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 05:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What Makes a Classic?  (Read 13594 times)

Merkava

What Makes a Classic?
« on: 16 Jun 2005, 17:38 »

I got in an argument with someone recently after saying Lonesome Crowded West was a classic album (along with Moon and Antarctica, of course). He said " Sorry, nothing by Modest Mouse, or anything else from the year 1997, should be considered "classic."

This brought up something in my mind. What makes a classic? What sorts of factors make a classic?

Apparantly, this guy think that time is the main factor. What about you?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2005, 18:03 »

anything before 1975, despite whether it sucked or not. Seriously.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jun 2005, 18:25 »

Air guitar capability.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jun 2005, 18:50 »

There is a formula to express this:

A classic is any album which has been ripped off more times than it itself rips off other classics.

Ie, something that represents either a sea-change in music or the definitive pinnacle of a genre or style.

Not, imo, Modest Mouse.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

blindsuperhero

Re: What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jun 2005, 18:57 »

Quote from: Merkava
or anything else from the year 1997

Ermm, OK Computer?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jun 2005, 19:02 »

OMG STOP FUCKING GOING ON ABOUT RADIOHEAD WE ALL KNOW ABOUT RADIOHEAD THEY WIN AWARDS THEY GET PLAYED ON THE RADIO SO WE ALL KNOW ABOUT THEM, WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO THINK ABOUT THEM.  THIS IS ANCILLARY TO THE FACT THAT EVEN COMPARING THEM AND THEIR INSIPID, BORING, SOUL-LESS OFFSPRING TO THINGS LIKE THE BEATLES, JIMI HENDRIX, LED ZEPPELIN, PINK FLOYD, BLACK SABBATH, BOB DYLAN AND OTHER CLASSICS OF ROCK VERY NEARLY ABROGATES YOUR RIGHT TO EXIST. I'M SORRY, BUT I HAVE TO SAY THIS.

*breathes*
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

godbowstomath

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2005, 19:26 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
OMG STOP FUCKING GOING ON ABOUT RADIOHEAD WE ALL KNOW ABOUT RADIOHEAD THEY WIN AWARDS THEY GET PLAYED ON THE RADIO SO WE ALL KNOW ABOUT THEM, WE KNOW WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSED TO THINK ABOUT THEM.  THIS IS ANCILLARY TO THE FACT THAT EVEN COMPARING THEM AND THEIR INSIPID, BORING, SOUL-LESS OFFSPRING TO THINGS LIKE THE BEATLES, JIMI HENDRIX, LED ZEPPELIN, PINK FLOYD, BLACK SABBATH, BOB DYLAN AND OTHER CLASSICS OF ROCK VERY NEARLY ABROGATES YOUR RIGHT TO EXIST. I'M SORRY, BUT I HAVE TO SAY THIS.

*breathes*

your music sucks

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2005, 19:30 »

And you sir, are a witless troll.

</Johnsonian>

Merkava

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2005, 19:50 »

Alright, you know what guys? You both suck. We all suck. Now shut the hell up.

And yes, Ok Computer was my counter-argument to they guy. He has yet to reply. >_>

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2005, 20:07 »

What's his email? I could send him a reply :p

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jun 2005, 20:16 »

It's nice to see someone else (Other than David Thorpe, because that's just musical snobbery at it's most awesomeness) hate radiohead. I can't stand em.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jun 2005, 20:38 »

I like Radiohead, screw you guys.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Merkava

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jun 2005, 20:39 »

Quote from: Johnny C
I like Radiohead, screw you guys.

Agreed. They're not a Pink Floyd revival band, k? :P

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jun 2005, 20:56 »

Now, Pink Floyd, they produced some classic albums by any definition! More classic than a certain transistorcranium-type bands discog anyway.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #14 on: 16 Jun 2005, 21:26 »

And you sir, are a witless troll.

</Johnsonian>

;_;
also israel

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jun 2005, 21:27 »

Yeah, but you're a troll stormer. You storm castles and shit. Thus making you cooler than the average troll.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jun 2005, 21:35 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
;_;

Aww, don't be sad! You are a witty troll. Now lets go pillage some Christian settlements.

Also, whatever happened to that VAR idea? That was mint.

saturnine1979

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #17 on: 17 Jun 2005, 01:17 »

#1 Music is relative. There's few albums that a whole lot of people are going to agree on as "classic" and even then, there's going to be plenty of people who completely disagree. And then there'll be the people who disagree just because a bunch of other people agree.

#2 ...And completely irrelevant. I enjoy Radiohead. I agree that they're a bit overpraised (if Thom Yorke shat, it might be considered the pinnacle of sound by certain music journalists) and overhyped, but I still enjoy their music.

If you want my opinion, I say that an album's capacity for classic status is mostly based on quality. I'd say that popularity/number of people who enjoy it factors in as well, but there's plenty of insanely popular stuff (late 90's boy bands/britney spears) that is far from quality and plenty of completely obscure stuff that's of insanely high quality. Therefore, popularity could be a factor...but it's more unreliable than quality, I'd say. So I don't have a problem with calling albums from the past 10 years "classic". I say that's a testament to the artist if their album can be deemed classic in its own time.

blindsuperhero

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jun 2005, 01:22 »

This is fucking stupid. Is it really essential that every time Radiohead are mentioned, which, let's face it, isn't really all that often, we need to have someone say 'Oh! Oh! You just said Radiohead! I have an opinion on Radiohead which I make sure everyone knows every single fucking time their name's mentioned!'

something that represents either a sea-change in music or the definitive pinnacle of a genre or style.

Now, most people who think about these things would tend to agree that there are two Radiohead albums that fit the first condition, and another that fits the second. I think it would be pretty hard to argue that OK Computer or Kid A sounded very much like any other album that had come before them.

SeanBateman

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #19 on: 17 Jun 2005, 01:40 »

While you're right about Radiohead not sounding like anyone else, it takes more to be a classic than just not sounding like other people. There are musical choices you could make that no one in their right mind would buy or listen to, even though they've never been done before. Even though it might be completely original, I don't want an album that's all nails on chalkboards. In my mind at least, a classic is more determined by the infulence it has on music that comes afterwards. Radiohead might still fit this definition, ut I wouldn't want to make sure everyone knows my opinion on them.

blindsuperhero

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Jun 2005, 01:43 »

Well if we're discussing Radiohead (which we weren't but now are) then it's okay to say what your opinion is. It's just that every thread which so much as mentions them in passing just gets derailed into "Radiohead aren't very good" "yes they are" "no they're not"...

SeanBateman

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #21 on: 17 Jun 2005, 01:47 »

Oh. If it's okay, well, I don't like them so much as I tolerate them. I've never reached for one of their cd's, but I guess I respect them for what they do.

Sooo.... classic albums?
I'd say Blue Album is a classic, but probably not any modest mouse albums. They haven't stood the test of time yet.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #22 on: 17 Jun 2005, 06:34 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
They haven't stood the test of time yet.

That pretty much sums it up.  I don't think we can really know what's a classic until we hear the influence years from now.

Also, how are we defining classic?  Is classic meant to be synonymous with "groundbreaking" or is it meant more in the sense of Universal Appeal? If it's the former, I don't think you necessarily have to "like" something in order to recognize it as classic.  Example: I didn't really like Slint's Spiderland when I heard it, but I could recognize the importance and see the influence it eventually had.  

If it's the latter, and we were talking about Radiohead, despite the critical success of OK Computer, I thin that their most classic album by this definition is probably The Bends.  Even though I personally find it dated, A lot of people have told me just as much when I ask them about their favorite Radiohead album, and one friend actually went as far as to say "If all they ever did was keep making records like The Bends I would be perfectly happy."

Merkava

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #23 on: 17 Jun 2005, 07:20 »

So, Lonesome Crowded West, an album made at the exact same time as OK Computer, has not stood the "test of time" but Ok Computer HAS?

Yeah. Whatever. Lonesome is an album that shows the pinnacle of minimalist Indie Rock and has been out for 9 years. Band like The Shins, Mock Orange, and all that have either thanked Modest Mouse or have done that and use their sound for some influence. It was MM's big message, before getting replaced by the equally brilliant Moon and Antarctica.

And for the record, Moon and Antarctica was pretty damn groundbreaking and total comtemporary classic bait. :P

I guess I can't call Emergency & I a classic as well?

I would probably fall under the camp that says groundbreaking or different, so that's what I would put behind my thinking of my classic choices. I do also believe some time is needed as well, which is why you won't see me proclaiming "Mind is Not Brain" and "Funeral" classics anytime soon.

I'd say around a decade is a good place to start.

Oh yeah, and to JLM, the topic asks how YOU would define a classic album.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #24 on: 17 Jun 2005, 08:13 »

So, Lonesome Crowded West, an album made at the exact same time as OK Computer, has not stood the "test of time" but Ok Computer HAS?

Yeah. Whatever. Lonesome is an album that shows the pinnacle of minimalist Indie Rock and has been out for 9 years. Band like The Shins, Mock Orange, and all that have either thanked Modest Mouse or have done that and use their sound for some influence. It was MM's big message, before getting replaced by the equally brilliant Moon and Antarctica.

And for the record, Moon and Antarctica was pretty damn groundbreaking and total comtemporary classic bait. :P

I guess I can't call Emergency & I a classic as well?

I would probably fall under the camp that says groundbreaking or different, so that's what I would put behind my thinking of my classic choices. I do also believe some time is needed as well, which is why you won't see me proclaiming "Mind is Not Brain" and "Funeral" classics anytime soon.

I'd say around a decade is a good place to start.

Oh yeah, and to JLM, the topic asks how YOU would define a classic album.

No, YOU ask how I would define a classic.  The topic asks, more generally, "What Makes A Classic?" which I took as a rhetorical question open for discussion.

But since we're going that route, I think a classic is defined by influence, appeal, and time, in that order.  More later...work now.

Merkava

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #25 on: 17 Jun 2005, 10:28 »

Well, the "what makes a classic" is calling upon your opinion, so it ends up being a "what do you think makes a classic." I wanted discussion, definently.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #26 on: 19 Jun 2005, 19:50 »

Well, Ulver changed their genre almost entirely with every  major record they made, and have influenced loads of people, and I wouldn't call their albums classics in a general sense. I think for something to be a classic it really has to do something quite widepsread: Radiohead and Modest Mouse influenced within a pretty limited genre, whilst the Beatles, for example influenced most of rock. Where you'd stop with that sort of thing, I don't know. I'd call 'Paranoid' a classic because Sabbath influenced in some way pretty much all metal, hard rock, grunge, nu metal etc. and that's quite a significant section of music over a significant amount of time. Also, it's an 'effing good record.

Johnny C

• Mentat
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #27 on: 19 Jun 2005, 22:07 »

something that represents either a sea-change in music or the definitive pinnacle of a genre or style.

For teh win!

EDIT: Though I would have said "a pinnacle." Certainly there have been multiple high points in some genres.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #28 on: 21 Jun 2005, 08:34 »

Not if you make up enough genres ^_^

sketchyjoe

• Balloon animal serial killer
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #29 on: 21 Jun 2005, 10:09 »

The test of time is the ultimate test for any album. If people are still listening to it (and enjoying it) in 10, 15 or 25 years then it's a classic.
Limber limp with a dry martini

Until....

sp2

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #30 on: 21 Jun 2005, 10:29 »

I just want to point out that Modest Mouse sort of sucks.

Just, you know, throwing this out there.

Anyways, for an album to be considered classic it needs the following:

A) It needs to be greater than the list of its influences.  No music is "new" anymore...it hasn't been for a long time.  Basically, it's new combinations of existing things.  As far as actual musical technicality and writing, it's all been done before.  However, it's possible for music to be written that adds something that steps beyond its predecessors.  Whether you do something better, or you polish something that was unnecessarily rough, or you try something that hasn't been tried before in that genre, you need to add something to your genre.

B) Your album needs to be more or less listenable.  Let's be honest here...50% of all music on albums are filler.  They are written hastily and sloppily and for the most part, the band doesn't really give a damn about them.  Those are the songs they never play live, they never release as singles, and they never put on best of compilations.  They just need them to make the album long enough to be an LP.  However, there is listenable filler and unlistenable filler.  A classic album can't be bogged down with unlistenable filler.  It needs to be listenable straight through.  And I don't mean listenable as in radio-friendly.  I just mean that at least 90% of the songs on there need to be quality.

C) Your album needs to have influence beyond your subgenre.  It's easy to influence other bands in your own genre.  But influencing sound outside your genre?  That is more difficult.  While you could say Arcade Fire's Funeral is a classic Indie album, it is not clear yet whether their influence will extend outside the genre of "indie" rock.  This is why time plays a big part in determining if an album is classic.

So no, I'd claim that Moon and Antarctica was NOT classic.  It had a lot of shitty filler and didn't really add much to the genre, and its effect outside it's little subgenre of indie rock was minimal.  On the other hand, I would claim that Deloused in the Comatorium, by the Mars Volta (ohshit flame flame flame) WAS classic because it did add much to its subgenre but also has extended influence outside its subgenre as well (I have heard everything from punk bands to prog bands to hip hop artists cite them as an influence) and Deloused was released in 2003.  Albums like Arcade Fire's funeral have the potential to become classic if their influence spreads outside the happy comfortable little realm of indie rock.

ASturge

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #31 on: 21 Jun 2005, 10:50 »

I'm not going to write a lengthy explanation.

But if you think that The Mars Volta come close to Modest Mouse, then you suck.

Just getting it out there.

Flame on ye 'everyone has their own opinion' kiddies

sp2

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #32 on: 21 Jun 2005, 11:17 »

Look, I've listened to every Modest Mouse album.  Hell, I own them all.  I used to love Moon and Antarctica until I realized that it was a cynical combination of various indie rock elements meant to capitalize off of what was then a young musical movement.  Of the songs on that album, only about a third are even decent, most are filler, and shitty filler at that.  I'm not saying you shouldn't like them, or that you should love the Mars Volta....there are plenty of albums I'd consider "classic" that I can't stand one iota, and that's personal taste.  However, Modest Mouse is shit, and if you really honestly consider Moon and Antarctica to be a "classic" album, then you must also consider indie rock to be essentially filler.  While this could be argued for and argued convinicingly for, that is not the topic of this thread, and I'd prefer not to be so cynical about a genre of music that most of us here enjoy.

Deloused in the Comatorium, like it or not, like the Mars Volta or not, think they're a bunch of pretentious wanker assholes or not, has had a wide realm of influence because it has taken prog rock, which was pretty much dead, and revived it.  Not only did it revive it, but it made a previously soulless genre of music much more accessible and interesting to an audience outside of the typical prog rock audience.  When you have punk bands citing a prog band as an influence, you know a band has done something classic.  The influences that album has had on music, whether you like them or not, are not something you can argue convincingly against.

ASturge

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #33 on: 21 Jun 2005, 11:23 »

Well, that's cool.

I can see why people like Mars Volta. I just can't stomach all the needless twiddling.

Anyways, I do not consider Lonesome Crowded West or TMAA to be classics.
Just really fucking good albums.

There is a huge difference between 'classic' and 'really fucking good'

sp2

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #34 on: 21 Jun 2005, 11:39 »

There are albums that I think are really amazingly fucking good that I enjoy immensely that I wouldn't ever in a million years consider classic.  There are also albums I hate with a passion, wish had never been recorded, and so forth that I have to grudgingly admit are indeed classics.

Example:  I love the Black Keys.  I think Rubber Factory is a super-cool amazing totally awesome album.  I don't think it's a classic.

Example 2: I hate Rush.  Passionately.  I think their music is soulless and Geddy Lee's voice just grates the shit out of my nerves.  And yet, I think they've done some really classic stuff.

Example 3: I love AC/DC.  I really do.  I also think they're total shit.  I also also think that Back in Black is a classic album, as are a few others of theirs.  Just because they're crap doesn't mean they can't be classic, and I certainly am not calling them classic just because I like them.

Signum_Tenebrae

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #35 on: 21 Jun 2005, 11:51 »

Quote from: sp2
B) Your album needs to be more or less listenable.  Let's be honest here...50% of all music on albums are filler.  They are written hastily and sloppily and for the most part, the band doesn't really give a damn about them.  Those are the songs they never play live, they never release as singles, and they never put on best of compilations.

What?  I don't agree with this, at all.

SOME albums sure, but ALL albums are half filler?  Give me a fucking break.

sp2

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #36 on: 21 Jun 2005, 11:56 »

No, 50% of all music.  Some albums are 90%+ filler with maybe one or two singles.  Some albums have no filler (Pink Floyd's classic albums were all pretty much zero filler).  So, I'd argue that 50%+ of all MUSIC that has ever appeared on an album is filler.

ASturge

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #37 on: 21 Jun 2005, 12:13 »

In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

A classic example of a classic album with no fillers.

I love everyone of those songs.[/i]

sp2

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #38 on: 21 Jun 2005, 12:28 »

Or Dark Side of the Moon.  Sure, there are plenty of classic albums without fillers.  There are also plenty of classic albums with at least a little filler, and plenty of albums that aren't classic with a lot of filler.

I blame filler on the whole record company thing.  Because you need such and such amount of music to produce an album, you need to write so many minutes of music and so many tracks.  But you also need to be relatvely fast in writing that music so you can make money (also, contracts often require a certain number of albums in a certain amount of time).  So, to feed the fatcats, you write a few good songs and then write a bunch of shit songs to pad the album out.  The shit songs can still be decent music sometimes, but they lack that certain something that's in the good stuff.

Merkava

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #39 on: 21 Jun 2005, 13:26 »

Dark Side of the Moon had major filler. Let's point out the beginning of Time and that twiddly instrumental track that has that same rythm throughout, etc.

saturnine1979

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jun 2005, 13:59 »

what what what?

"Let's be honest here...50% of all music on albums are filler"

I don't know what kind of shit music you listen to, but most of the albums I own are not 50% filler, and I'm pretty darn sure most bands "give a damn" about the songs they put on an album. Hell, even the B-sides are important to some bands. One of Billy Corgan's favorite songs by the Pumpkins was a B-side.

"No music is "new" anymore.."

That's bullshit. It's been repeated so many times that everyone thinks it's true, and everyone thinks it makes them sound intelligent about music. It's bullshit. There IS such a thing as new music. There's instruments and recording techniques that have developed with both technology and experimentation and they aren't just rehashing old tricks. It's out there. Just look.

On a final note, just because other bands claim they were influenced by another band doesn't make that other band great by any means. I'm sure there's tons of shitty, developing nu-metal bands who claim Nickelback or Three Doors Down as influence. I'm sure there's tons of little girls who claim Britney as their influence. It doesn't really matter.

As for the Mars Volta vs. Modest Mouse (or not even versus): that's a matter of your own tastes. It's easy to claim the Mars Volta are influential because you like them, but your personal tastes are just a fraction of the thoughts that go into deeming an album "classic".

sp2

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #41 on: 21 Jun 2005, 15:56 »

Dark Side of the Moon had major filler. Let's point out the beginning of Time and that twiddly instrumental track that has that same rythm throughout, etc.

Only if you consider anything outside of "verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus" to be filler.  By filler I'm talking about entire songs which are obviously poorly written and the musicians don't care because they were just trying to fill up an album.

As for Saturnine....

On no album will you find that the musicians put equal effort into every song.  There will be some songs they put noticeably less effort into and others they put noticeably more effort into.  There are songs where they obviously cared a lot about it and really polished it.  There are others that they clearly didn't.  This doesn't mean they don't like the songs.  It means they did not place the same level of dedication into some of their songs that they put into others.  If the level of effort put into a song is exceedingly minimal compared to others, it is probably filler.  Doesn't mean it can't have emotional significance, but it's still below par comppared to the rest of a band's output.

50% of the music out there is probably filler.  Including indie music.  Perhaps even especially indie music.

As for there being new things....sorry, but there really isn't.  So yeah, let's say I start writing punk with the lead guitarist playing an electric ukelele instead of a guitar.  Yeah, that must be new, right?  No, not really.  Jazz, that was new.  The chords and chord progressions Beethoven used, that was new.  Tchaikovsky's cannonfire in the 1812 overture, that was new.  Guitar distortion as sound in the Velvet Underground, that was new.  Punk, that was new.  Beat poetry, that was new.  But accordion metal?  No, that's cynical recombination of existing musical themes to create the impression of appearing new.

/postmodernist

I never said influence was a part of being a good album.  I said influence was a part of being a CLASSIC album.  You are wrong to equate the two.  The Downward Spiral, by NIN, is pretty much commercialized shit.  Yes, it is, get over it.  Doesn't mean it's not a classic album.  Is Korn's Issues a good album?  No, not really.  Is it classic?  Yes.  Is Trail of Dead's Source Tags and Codes a good album?  Hell fucking yeah.  Is it classic?  No.  Did Madonna put out any classic albums?  Yes, but that doesn't mean she doesn't suck Satan's pecker.

Or maybe I should spell it out more clearly.  U2 sucks.  Joshua Tree is a classic album.  The Pixies, although I enjoy them immensely, are subpar musicians (ohshit heresy flame flame flame), but Doolittle and Surfer Rosa are classic albums.  The Beach Boys suck, but their stuff is classic.

Quality does not equate to classic.  Classic does not mean quality.  Period.

I am claiming that the Mars Volta are highly influential because that's the way it is.  Modest Mouse is influential within the portion of the indie community which is too pretentious to like mainstream but not pretentious enough to realize they ARE mainstream.  Outside the indie community, the only Modest Mouse anyone's ever heard is "Float On" which was a subpar single at best.As for the Mars Volta, every drummer I know has an opinion on them.  Many musicians I know from various schools of music, from straight jazz to indie to punk to metal to prog to alt rock to hip-hop all have an opinion on them.  I know many bands from MANY genres which consider them an influence.  Everyone has an opinion on their live show (either they love it or hate it, but they have an opinion).

Do I like Mars Volta better than Modest Mouse?  Yes.  For sure.  But there are plenty of bands I like a lot less that I'd still consider more influential (Weezer, for example....god, I hate that band) and who've put out more classic albums than Deloused.  But in twenty years, people will still be dropping acid and listening to Deloused and people will remember Modest Mouse as a one-hit wonder.

ColdSteelRain

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #42 on: 21 Jun 2005, 16:03 »

A classic has to influence a lot of people.  A classic has to have more or less universal appeal.  And there is no such thing as an instant classic.  Classics have to continue to be accessable to people after time has passed.

In my opinion something can be a classic with in its own genre or a more wide spread classic.  Also when I say it has to have more or less universal appeal I don't expect every one to like but the majority of people have to either like or at least respect it.

Johnny C

• Mentat
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #43 on: 21 Jun 2005, 16:05 »

So, sp2, you're saying that being a classic neccessitates idiot stoners sitting around in a dark basement declaring that whatever they're listening to is good shit, man?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #44 on: 21 Jun 2005, 17:10 »

Quote from: sp2

On no album will you find that the musicians put equal effort into every song.  There will be some songs they put noticeably less effort into and others they put noticeably more effort into.  There are songs where they obviously cared a lot about it and really polished it.  There are others that they clearly didn't.  This doesn't mean they don't like the songs.  It means they did not place the same level of dedication into some of their songs that they put into others.  If the level of effort put into a song is exceedingly minimal compared to others, it is probably filler.  Doesn't mean it can't have emotional significance, but it's still below par comppared to the rest of a band's output.

I direct you towards every single thing that Zappa has ever done ever. He took a shitload of time writing each and every song, composing it, if you will. Sure, some songs took less time to produce, but does that automatically make them filler? Some songs are shorter, and therefore would possibly take less time to write than longer ones. But this does not make them filler material. Also, the guy wrote music just for the sake of writing music. It's what he did. And I can bet you that there are a plethora of other artists that do this as well.

Also, Modest Mouse does suck. Kudos to SP2.

sp2

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #45 on: 21 Jun 2005, 18:35 »

Quote from: Johnny C
So, sp2, you're saying that being a classic neccessitates idiot stoners sitting around in a dark basement declaring that whatever they're listening to is good shit, man?

No.  I was trying (poorly) to compare the influence the Volta have and will likely have in the future to Pink Floyd.  I write a lot, but I am not very good at explaining things very well.

heretic

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #46 on: 21 Jun 2005, 20:02 »

this is my song: "circular argumennnntsssss/ going nowherrreeee/you suck, no, you suckkkkkkk/i'm right cause you're wrooonngg/blow me asshoooollee"

classic.

Johnny C

• Mentat
What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #47 on: 21 Jun 2005, 20:47 »

sp2: Yeah, I know, I just get irritated at all the people who equate "classic" with "good to take drugs to." Piss-taking has finished.

Heretic: Are you sure the Unicorns didn't record that song already?

Merkava

What Makes a Classic?
« Reply #48 on: 22 Jun 2005, 14:36 »

13 Songs by Fugazi is a landmark record. It encompasses everything good about alternative rock/DC hardcore and influenced a whole lot of groups that would come on soon afterward. There is no filler. It isn't necessarily good to take drugs to. It's a landmark not only in it's genre, but in music period.

Therefore, I consider it a classic. XP

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up