THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 07:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bored/Procrastinating = ANIMATION!  (Read 13448 times)

twentyfour

Bored/Procrastinating = ANIMATION!
« on: 16 Jun 2005, 21:20 »

This should be in art right? or maybe the sandbox...crap. I'm new and confused.

So, LiterSize made a joke saying Pintsize would look HAWT wearing Solid Snake's Bandana(tm)... or something to that effect.

I was bored/procrastinating and made up this

http://www.24andahalf.com/images/psgs.swf

here's a still

I pulled that together in about 30-40 min(tinkered with the gun too much dangit). It's great practice for me puttin something quick like that together and trying to make it look uncrappy. So why not open this up to the forum?

Here's the deal. Fire off an idea you think would look cool. Anything at all. Someone already suggested Faye's puppy eyes shooting 'layzorbeeeems'. I'll probably throw that together tonight if I'm still awake(I got 15 seconds of animation left due at dawn :p). No deadline, just throw me ideas and I'll do one up at random. win win eh? Also, keep the ideas short and sweet. No sitcom scripts or epic WW2 re-enactments.

When I'm done I'll post the anim and a still and say how much time I spent. There's no telling when I'll get to doone as my work is either feast or famine, but I'll do what I can.

Anyone in?

crazybritishsteve

« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2005, 01:12 »

How about martin slapping faye's ass?

(stupid fanboy, get off my computer!)

saturnine1979

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2005, 01:51 »

rofl

that's pretty nifty.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2005, 03:39 »

LAYZOORBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEMS

yeah, that was me

the ass-slappage sounds cool, make sure you add a good slapping noise, then a good thudding noise as he hit's the floor
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

Sideways

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2005, 08:51 »

Ass-slappage for teh win.

manc_ill_kid

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2005, 15:38 »

30-40 minutes? pah, using computers is selling out. It took me six weeks with pen and paper to knock out this movie about I guess a Victorian era version of the anthroPC

http://www.theplimptons.co.uk/movies/JollyTopHat.wmv

twentyfour

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2005, 20:24 »

looks pretty cool Manc!

I wouldn't say using comps is selling out, but I do understand what you mean. The Pintsize anim is just for excercise and to help me speed up and just pump out something that looks cool(ish) really fast. Sometimes something as simple as the MGS Pintsize anim can get a client to sign a contract they were iffy about 30-40 minutes before.

I'm gonna do the butt-slap anim and see if I can throw in some LAYZOORBEEEEEEEMS as an added bonus. I prolly won't have anything to post for a day or three. I'm playing catchup and work and need to put all my worktime into it :p...well, we'll see what I can do.

twentyfour

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2005, 11:56 »

butt slap will go up sometime soonish I hope. In the meantime ... hehehe...
Someone mentioned pintsize in a speedo

http://www.24andahalf.com/images/ps-tehsex.swf

approx. anim time 10 min at most. Design time 2 minutes(just added legs and a speedo)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jun 2005, 19:05 »

A woman can't resist a guy who looks good in a speedo.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Jarne

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2005, 19:25 »

I am in awe of your speedo animation skills.
Is there any chance of Johnny Depp in a speedo? Yes? No? I didn't think so. Ah well.
Perhaps the FBI agent guy twirling his gun around or something?

twentyfour

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jun 2005, 21:42 »

No sexy Depp animations sorry :)

but I do have a Sonic Hip Attack!

http://www.24andahalf.com/images/ps-bigbutts.swf

approx design time 15 min(couch, Faye's butt)
approx anim time 45-1 hour(I wasted too much time tinkering with what Pintsize's dance would be, the movie size and the camera moving)

Neskah

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2005, 04:31 »

Whoot awesome.

Like a japanese meal... small portions.. and I want more servings
One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

Jarne

« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2005, 23:06 »

Animated Secret Booty Dance, perhaps?

twentyfour

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jun 2005, 04:55 »

Secret Booty Dance? Sorry, it's been a while since I didn't just read the daily's... link anyone?

crazybritishsteve

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jun 2005, 05:51 »

It's the dance steve does when he gets laid. It is a secret dance only performed by well trained steves. Would make a link but far, far to lazy.

P.s. hip attack animation was v. cool

twentyfour

« Reply #15 on: 23 Jun 2005, 05:59 »

Thanks! and Thanks!

I remember the secret booty dance now.... I'll put it down as a maybe. I still gotta do the butt slap :p

Jarne

« Reply #16 on: 23 Jun 2005, 09:06 »

Comic number 300 is the secret booty dance between Steve and Ellen.

Pintsize doing the secret booty dance?

heretic

« Reply #17 on: 23 Jun 2005, 09:10 »

do every comic!!!!oneoneone

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jun 2005, 10:22 »

YEAH IT CNA BE LIEK THIS EXEPT WIT QC LOL

http://www.flashplayer.com/animation/8-bit-theater.html
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

twentyfour

« Reply #19 on: 23 Jun 2005, 11:46 »

Minus the sprites/bad voice acting/shoddy layout and backgrounds/poor animation/illegal music useage/illegal character useage etc etc etc

I'll haveta watch those movies all the way through someday. I usually just cringe and shut off anything that is that sprite heavy

mosfet

« Reply #20 on: 24 Jun 2005, 07:06 »

I have to give my official two-thumbs-up and a squeee! for the animation!
:)

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #21 on: 24 Jun 2005, 07:49 »

Quote from: twentyfour

I'll haveta watch those movies all the way through someday. I usually just cringe and shut off anything that is that sprite heavy

I hate those movies. Especially because of those annoying kids at school that nobody really likes who have only seen the flash version and proceed to quote the shoddy voice acting for the entire day.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

zekterellium

« Reply #22 on: 24 Jun 2005, 08:01 »

man, that jolly top hat movie was as mad as a sack ofd badgers. i loved it.

twentyfour, yr a pretty talented guy. i, too, would love to see the booty dance. it would be wonderful.

twentyfour

« Reply #23 on: 04 Jul 2005, 22:14 »

armyofwires

« Reply #24 on: 05 Jul 2005, 00:33 »

haha, solid pint (or technically naked pint)

crazybritishsteve

« Reply #25 on: 05 Jul 2005, 02:48 »

poor pintsize. Self destruct button!

P.s. Dude, where's my ass slappin!? Or the booty dance!? Dude, WHAT ARE WE PAYING YOU FOR!?    .................oh yeah. we're not. my bad. I'll go away now..................

twentyfour

« Reply #26 on: 05 Jul 2005, 08:00 »

*slaps Steve's ass*

that better?

Actually dude I have a fulltime job, a wife and rabbit, and my own comic to take care of first before any side fun-stuff. The pintsize anims take me no time at all, but a two person anim will take a bit longer and need considerably more planning/design work. I wanna do em, I just don't have time right now.

Expect plenty of small silly anims before a big buttslap anim... :)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #27 on: 05 Jul 2005, 08:15 »

Damn life, always gettin' in the way of one's art.

Jarne

« Reply #28 on: 05 Jul 2005, 09:39 »

You, your comic and your animations are awesome.

crazybritishsteve

« Reply #29 on: 06 Jul 2005, 01:35 »

Yea, you gotta admit. 24 is the bomb on animations.

And thanks for the ass slappin...............

twentyfour

« Reply #30 on: 06 Jul 2005, 01:51 »

Well... if anyone has the Canadian Comedy Network channel you can see an episode of Odd Job Jack that I supervised(beat lesser animators into submission and made them do the un-fun scenes for me).

9:30 EST Comedy Network

I don't have cable, so, someone watch it and tell me it was fantastic so I can sleep well at night :)

Kanno

« Reply #31 on: 06 Jul 2005, 06:55 »

Ok, seriously, how would I take the "QC is teh sex" .swf and make it into a useable avatar for LJ/random forums?  I want I want I want!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #32 on: 06 Jul 2005, 20:19 »

Take a screenshot while it's playing.  In Windows you take a screenshot by hitting the Printscreen button and then pasting in Paint or Photoshop or whatever.

Kanno

« Reply #33 on: 06 Jul 2005, 20:23 »

I was thinking more along the lines of an animated .gif.

I've never really dealt with flash animation formats before, I'm not sure you can even do a direct conversion.

twentyfour

« Reply #34 on: 06 Jul 2005, 20:37 »

yea, flash can make animated gifs, and they're huge like a bad "yo mama" joke.

Gimme a size and what file ya want(pm it please) and I'll try to appease ya. Just send people to my comic's site if they ask who did the awesome animation :)

Jamoky

« Reply #35 on: 07 Jul 2005, 14:47 »

hey twentyfour, I actually have a question about exporting animated GIFs in flash. How do you export if you are using movie clip symbols? 'Cause those only work in .swf

twentyfour

« Reply #36 on: 09 Jul 2005, 13:53 »

I'm not 100% familiar with animated gif works, but I'll tinker with Flash when I get home. :) I've been away at my sisters wedding so I'm kinda way behind on emails, this forum and most importantly.... my comic :(

First thing I'm gonna offer though is the most underused symbol of all time, the "graphic" why use a movie clip when you can use a graphic symbol set to 'play once' or 'loop'. A movie clip should mainly just be used if the symbol needs to be clickable(like in a game or something) and you don't need that in an animated .gif. A movie clip remains static while you are in the .fla so when you scrub back and forth it just sits on frame 1, a graphic set to loop or play once will scrub properly so it's easier to synch ytour timing up with other portions of the anim

*phew*

that help any? If not hit me up in a PM :)

For that matter if anyone has any questions about Flash animation fire em off at me, I'll try and offer as helpful advice as I can(just don't ask me about actionscripting, I'm not too strong with that)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #37 on: 10 Jul 2005, 07:06 »

Quote from: twentyfour
if anyone has any questions about Flash animation fire em off at me, I'll try and offer as helpful advice as I can(just don't ask me about actionscripting, I'm not too strong with that)

Whereas ActionScript is the part I'm strongest at; the animation features, like how to set up tweening, sometimes don't make sense to me.

twentyfour

« Reply #38 on: 11 Jul 2005, 06:08 »

Heh, tweening is easy once you get the hang of it, although making it look really good is something very few people can handle. Tween's have a helluva bad rap(check the newgrounds forums for 300+ post threads about why tweening sucks ass :P), but it's all just animation.

Crazy internet and it's mass of 14 year olds who think they know everything :)

thermodynamics

« Reply #39 on: 15 Jul 2005, 23:53 »

yeah, if you are having doubts about tweening, don't sweat it. i got playing with flash 4 hours a day for two or three days. now it is like second nature. you just have to practice.... its like anything else. but, definitely don't be discouraged.

Jamoky

« Reply #40 on: 19 Jul 2005, 19:04 »

hmm.
well yes, while it is true that you can loop graphics, I'm pretty sure you can't have a graphic loop AND motion tween.  which is generally what I need symbols for: (wheels spinning in a car thats also moving or something)

twentyfour

« Reply #41 on: 19 Jul 2005, 19:20 »

Uhm... I think maybe you might be set up badly if you can't tween a looping graphic without it screwing up. Any chance you could send me an example .fla?

dave dot rigley at gmail dot com

Jamoky

« Reply #42 on: 21 Jul 2005, 14:19 »

email sent!

twentyfour

« Reply #43 on: 22 Jul 2005, 10:50 »

and replied to, look me up on MSN man!

twenty_four_the_comic at hotmail dot com

I can answer your questions alot faster

clasicks

« Reply #44 on: 22 Jul 2005, 10:55 »

wow thats awesome, what would i need to start getting into flash animation, i have photoshop CS2, not sure i can anim in that, but wow keep it up.

twentyfour

« Reply #45 on: 22 Jul 2005, 11:11 »

Thanks man! Get the 30 day trial of Flash someday when you knwo you'll have plenty of free time! It's loads of fun once you get into it! Just be patient and be prepared to do a LOT of tutorials and general practice before you will make anything you can be super proud of

clasicks

« Reply #46 on: 22 Jul 2005, 15:56 »

well, i got Flash Studio MX
which came with Dreamweaver, fireworks, freehand, flash MX, and all that jazz, so do you create it in Flash MX. just trying to see where i should put my foot in before i leap into it.

Jamoky

« Reply #47 on: 23 Jul 2005, 20:28 »

flash MX is basically all you need to make animations like that.  Some people like to draw in other programs (like photoshop) and then import their stuff in, but I'm pretty sure twentyfour is using just flash, and thats all I use too.

so, hop in.

the waters fine.

twentyfour

« Reply #48 on: 24 Jul 2005, 08:22 »

I use Flash for 99.5% of what I do(aside from pencil and paper of course, nothin can beat that). Flash is great for backgrounds and overlays/underlays(just use PNGs). Flash kinda sucks for texturing so Photoshop or Painter really help there... but of course then you run the risk of making the style of your BG's and characters too different.

I think I might just make an animation thread to discuss tips, tricks and techniques, we're kinda off the topic of me doin quicky animations for QC(which I'm still working on when I have time..... which is rare lately)

clasicks

« Reply #49 on: 24 Jul 2005, 11:16 »

an animation thread would be greatly appreciated, thanks for the headstart
Pages: [1]   Go Up