THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 19:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Games you got stuck in  (Read 31139 times)

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #50 on: 28 Jun 2005, 20:17 »

Hmm, I don't know. I think games are certainly more in depth these days, and there's a lot more room for originality, even if you just think of the different genres that have popped up since the "3D revolution". Back in the day every second game was a platformer, and all you had was a jump button and a punch button, but boy did I plow through them.

I do definitely have less time on my hands now, but even so, if a game is anything less than great I usually won't bother with it for more than 10 minutes, if at all.

I have less appreciation for sequels too. Something like MGS3 is cool because I find those games to be pretty damn original, but Gran Turismo is a perfect example of a series of very good games that I haven't touched since number 2 back on PSX.

Another example: I loved Soul Reaver on PSX, but took one look at the sequel and decided I wouldn't bother.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #51 on: 28 Jun 2005, 20:45 »

Quote from: Gryff
Final Fantasy X - I'm up to the last boss but I've been trying to beat Omega... which is not fun.

A few tips:

Firstly, there's nothing in the game that's not a genuinely easy match, if you use Yojimbo's "Zanmato" attack, which will instantly defeat anything, regardless of how many HP it has, or wether it's immune to KO effects. It might be considered a bit of a cop-out, however. Doing it properly is much harder.

Oh, and if you think Omega is hard, but enjoy the challenge, then I suggest that you tackle the dark aeons, and take on Penance (international english language version only)

second - if you want my advice, then I suggest that you give Yuna as many black magic spells as you can - it's much more effective to have a combined black mage/white mage/summoner on your front line at all times as opposed to swapping her back and forth with Lulu. Plus, her "magic" statistic is higher (it needs to be in order to overcome the party's high Magic Defence stat.) which means that she does more damage with black magic than Lulu will.

Third: Tidus' overdrives are your friends - use his overdrive moves fifty times in order to unlock the move "blitz ace" which is the second most devastating attack in the game, after Dark Anima's overdrive (which is just stupidly powerful).
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Mr Putter

Games you got stuck in
« Reply #52 on: 28 Jun 2005, 20:57 »

That's true, we definitely have a lot more genres to choose from now.  What annoys me is games that conform to the genres completely and fail to bring anything new to the table - and the only reason developers can keep making these types of games is because people are stupid enough to buy them.

The thing that distances MGS3 from other sequels is that they kept it interesting by introducing new features that actually changed the gameplay from the previous releases.

Gryff

Games you got stuck in
« Reply #53 on: 28 Jun 2005, 21:52 »

Switchblade:

Yeah, I know about all the Zanmato stuff, and I was trying to do it without. Maybe I should just shut up and use it - that'd teach that dang Omega... teach 'im good.

Don't even get me started on the dark Aeons...

Unfortunately I'm not one of those types that clocks 200 hours on the game levelling up everyone until they're SUPER ULTIMATE HARDCORE!!!!111!, so fighting these sorts of bosses tends to give me a headache.

I do have Blitz Ace though, I should add.

Mr Putter:

The EA-style incremental updates are pretty bad, but then they always have been. I think the problem arises from developers' fear of leaving an established franchise alone and starting afresh. It's much easier to make a sequel, and it's more commercially viable, but it does contstrict them to the format of the original game to a degree, no matter how outdated the original concept may be. Nobody ever wants to screw with the established fans (except Hideo Kojima, maybe, which is another reason why I think MGS is so good), so developers keep churning out Tony Hawk games and yearly FIFA soccer updates.

Take for example the Tenchu series. I really enjoyed the first game, but the sequels left a lot to be desired in my opinion. Basically they were trying to fix the problems of a somewhat unweildy game design instead of taking their ideas and starting on something fresh and unique. It's this kind of unadventurous thinking that produces the most unappealing, boring and industry-stagnating games.

... woah, that turned out to be ranty-er than I anticipated... heh.

Mr Putter

Games you got stuck in
« Reply #54 on: 28 Jun 2005, 22:41 »

Agreed.  I was at an EA pre-release thingy a few weeks back - unsuprisingly all the games sucked and the chicken made me sick.  All in all not very impressed....

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #55 on: 29 Jun 2005, 05:13 »

Quote from: Switchblade
second - if you want my advice, then I suggest that you give Yuna as many black magic spells as you can - it's much more effective to have a combined black mage/white mage/summoner on your front line at all times as opposed to swapping her back and forth with Lulu. Plus, her "magic" statistic is higher (it needs to be in order to overcome the party's high Magic Defence stat.) which means that she does more damage with black magic than Lulu will.

Giving Yuna black magic is irrelevant if you go through her entire section of the sphere grid, because she will pick up the white magic spell Holy; it is a super powerful attack.  It costs a lot of MP, but that leads to my main suggestion: make sure to give both Yuna and Lulu weapons with the 1 MP ability (ie. spells only cost 1 MP to cast, no matter what.)  You can customize that ability onto a weapon by using Three Stars items (for more info, google 'ffx faq' and look on gamefaqs' equipment remodeling guide)

Quote from: Gryff
EA-style incremental updates

I actually read a speech given by the head "creative" director for EA in which he explained that the acme of game design to them is not about coming up with new games but rather modifying existing games.

JJMitchell

Games you got stuck in
« Reply #56 on: 29 Jun 2005, 06:50 »

Going old school on you:

Festers Quest.

Anyone else ever play this evil game?
In this game you played Uncle Fester and you ran around shooting aliens I believe.  Doesn't sound too hard right?

Well, there was no save!  I spent alot of time looking how to save in that game, either it was something they didn't put in or I'm an idiot.

Anyway, I played the game for probably two days straight, leaving the game paused when I had to eat or what not.  I get to what I think is the last boss, start fighting and BAM!
the game locks up.  I can't figure out what is wrong until I felt the top of my NES, it was amazingly hot.  I guess the thing overheated.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #57 on: 29 Jun 2005, 14:55 »

Often the reason why some older games are more difficult is they were just ports of arcade games which were designed to be as hard as they could or impossible to beat.

Man, I remember Festers Quest.  The most annoying thing I can remember was the fly/mesquito type enemies that would drain your stamina or something so you moved more slowly.

Gryff

Games you got stuck in
« Reply #58 on: 29 Jun 2005, 15:30 »

Plus not being able to save in those old games kinda sucked (in hindsight)! Remember having to write down passwords, and getting one digit wrong and having to start the game all over again? Good times.

Mr Putter, I am confused by your reference to "the chicken".

Going back to FFX: It kinda annoyed me that at a certain point in the game holy took over as the best offensive magic full stop. That sorta thing tends to happen in FF games - once you've got Knights of the Round why do anything else (aside from the fact that it takes twenty minutes to do)?

Also, the 1MP ability is very useful, I agree, but it kinda makes all the MP points you've gained during the game redundant... I don't know, just a bit annoying.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #59 on: 29 Jun 2005, 15:37 »

Quote from: jhocking

Giving Yuna black magic is irrelevant if you go through her entire section of the sphere grid, because she will pick up the white magic spell Holy; it is a super powerful attack.  It costs a lot of MP, but that leads to my main suggestion: make sure to give both Yuna and Lulu weapons with the 1 MP ability (ie. spells only cost 1 MP to cast, no matter what.)  You can customize that ability onto a weapon by using Three Stars items (for more info, google 'ffx faq' and look on gamefaqs' equipment remodeling guide)

True, but "Holy" only turns up if you spend a few hours working towards it in a nice tough training area (such as the Omega dungeon). Whereas I managed to give Yuna the second-level black magic spells shortly before tackling the chocobo eater on the Mi'ihen highroad, at the expense of the four Black Magic spheres that I'd been saving without any other good use to put them to, and without having to deviate from her usual progression at all or work especially hard at it.

Frankly, I've always had a minor dislike of the sheer number of characters in the game - seven characters? Only three of them are worth it. Kimahri flat-out sucks, Lulu becomes useless if you give Yuna some black magic, and Rikku and Wakka are both pretty limited in their utility, and Tidus can basically replace both of them, given a little bit of care and attention to detail. Only Yuna, Auron and Tidus are at all worth bothering with, IMO. Those three could handle the entire game solo if they didn't become seperated in the middle.

I also recommend using the advanced sphere grid, and doing a little extra training at Kilika, and using that to snap up "steal" and "use" for Tidus (it's only about a fifteen sphere deviation off course) - it makes a surprisingly big difference throughout the game.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #60 on: 29 Jun 2005, 16:49 »

Y'know, I always wished I had gotten 'use' for some character other than Rikku, so that she wouldn't be the only one who could use Al-Bhed potions.  That alone was the main reason I ever found Rikku useful in battles.

Personally I prefer Kimari to Auron because of speed (Auron is slow.)  But once I customized 1 MP Cost for both Yuna and Lulu, my main lineup for all battles was Tidus, Yuna, and Lulu.

And yeah, getting Holy takes a lot of training.  But since he (she? I don't even remember who brought this all up in the first place) is going up against the Omega dungeon boss, I was assuming that the characters are all pretty advanced.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #61 on: 29 Jun 2005, 17:13 »

Auron's slow, yeah, but there are remedies to that: like Haste, and Slow. Sending him off down Tidus'  sphere grid path after he's maxed his own one out also balances the speed off.

My version is wearing a bracer with the auto-haste, auto-phoenix, break HP limit and auto-regen properties, for example. My versions of Yuna and Tidus basically have the same things, except that theirs both have "Ribbon" instead of auto-regen. They all have their ultimate weapons (fully unlocked) and even Yuna does straight 9's when she hits something with a basic attack, unless it has a stupidly high defence. Tidus and Auron do straight 9's to anything.

My problem with Kimahri is that's he doesn't really provide a fixed role - he's a jack-of-all-trades, master of none, whose development is determined by what you want to do with him - and though he may be faster than Auron, he doesn't hit as hard, neither is he as quick as Tidus or Wakka. Similarly, his magical abilities are inferior to those of Rikku, Lulu an Yuna. He's a cool enough character, and "Mighty Guard" if and when you learn it, is a really cool move, but he never functions properly at the front of the party, because anything he can do, somebody else does better.

but to each their own, I guess. I've got the three most important characters - Tidus, Yuna and Auron - so completely maxed out that it's simply not worth it to bring the other guys into play - anything those three can't handle, none of the others will, either.

Mr Putter

Games you got stuck in
« Reply #62 on: 29 Jun 2005, 17:49 »

@Gryff

Oh sorry, I meant that the chicken kebabs gave me food poisoning.  Don't worry EA aren't trying to re-make Frogger or anything...

Gryff

Games you got stuck in
« Reply #63 on: 29 Jun 2005, 17:55 »

Ah, that makes more sense!

I had scary visions of a generic 3D platformer with "The Chicken" as the main character!

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #64 on: 29 Jun 2005, 22:30 »

SUPER PUNCH-OUT!

MAN THAT LAST BOXER IS HARD

Seriously does anyone know how to beat him?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #65 on: 03 Jul 2005, 05:06 »

zelda. ocarina of time. water temple.

i've beaten the game many times, but my sister got herself stuck in the water temple... we have tried to get her out of it so many times but i don't think it's possible. it's like she used the door keys in the wrong order and now the part where you need the two keys to get to the mirror/lake-ish room to fight shadow link is only half opened and there's nowhere else to go. it seems unlikely that this problem would arise though. i think i'm just dumb.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #66 on: 07 Jul 2005, 07:38 »

FFXI, leveled up so goddamn much early in the game that by disc 3, i just didnt give a shit anymore. Beat zorn and thorn in 2 hits. Got bored, put it away. I have yet to beat FF tactics advance, mainly because i cant sit at a computer for hours on end playing due to forums and AIM. The only game i ever really got STUCK on was Riven. Myst was confusing, but riven, i just said screw it.

The most notable (but not only) game in which I'm stuck at the final boss is Beyond Good and Evil. ... but the final boss is hard as nails. You play through the boss in several "stages" of combat; one stage is a sequence of insanely fast monsters you have to fight through, and then you have to go through that section again, only with the controls reversed. WTF?!?

Dude... I beat that boss on accident. I was trying to show my brother how to hit him, and just started destroying him. It was fun, but still hella easy
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #67 on: 07 Jul 2005, 10:02 »

Well aren't you just the biggest badass ever. [/bitter]

KlonoaWahoo

Games you got stuck in
« Reply #68 on: 07 Jul 2005, 17:38 »

Quote from: ASturge
Only freaks don't like FF

I actually found that all the FFs after six were..basically the same game. and I lost intrest in them completely.

*KlonoaWahoo Thinks of how Legend of Mana beats FF games 7-10 in its art and originality..and wonders if saying this makes her a freak

as for games Ive got stuck in? Elder Scrolls III morrowind. I gave up after I became a Evoker in the Mages' Guild. I just didnt know whattodowheretogoclassicmorrowindproblems ACKPFFT. x_X

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #69 on: 10 Jul 2005, 07:16 »

Quote from: Switchblade
I'm a little stuck right now, actually - I'm playing the PC version of "Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas" and I'm having an incredibly tough time passing a mission called "freefall", where I have to fly out to meet a plane halfway across the ocean, get behind it, and fly into a corona behind it's tail.

Dude i don't know if you're still stuck on it, which i doubt, here's what you do, fly towards the marker and get the dodo as high as possible. When you reach the jet and inevidably overtake it, stay calm and turn around slowly when your directly behind it, drop to gain speed and if you've timed it right, you decending so quickly should give you enough speed to fly into the corona.

One game that i am stuck on, and i just cannot get past is Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox, theres a part where you have to kill a tank, its a boss and you have exploding arrows and armor piercing arrows....after about a month, i got the tank, but then a second spawned. Now getting past the first is hard but achieveable but its impossible for me to beat the second.

Also, just yesterday i finsihed Tanker  for Metal Gear Solid 2, i didn't even bother because i thought it was too hard when i first bought it, but i really enjoyed it.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #70 on: 10 Jul 2005, 08:56 »

Quote from: GebStar

Also, just yesterday i finsihed Tanker  for Metal Gear Solid 2, i didn't even bother because i thought it was too hard when i first bought it, but i really enjoyed it.

The rest of the game is good except for comms and cinematics. Playing as Raiden is alright, but him talking is not. Also, if you can get someone to play the naked Raiden level for you, it would be in your best interests. Unusually, my favorite part of that game was the final boss fight...
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #71 on: 10 Jul 2005, 19:51 »

I actually played plant. I finished it in about three days. I don't know why but i enjoyed the conversations between Raiden and his girlfriend. The comms and cinematics got a little annoying but i didn't find too much wrong with it. I still don't get the ending.

Did anyone else shoot the seagulls on plant and then get chastized by Raidens girlfriend?
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #72 on: 10 Jul 2005, 20:56 »

i got stuck in dmc3 and gave up

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #73 on: 10 Jul 2005, 21:31 »

I don't know why but i enjoyed the conversations between Raiden and his girlfriend.

I thought those conversations were hilarious.  What an awesome send-up of the kind of ridiculous melodrama you see in anime and other comics.

It's funny how apparently other people didn't have as much trouble as I did in certain games (eg. Beyond Good and Evil,) but then people have trouble with a game I breezed through (MGS2.)  Different people are good at different things.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #74 on: 11 Jul 2005, 05:30 »

Dude i don't know if you're still stuck on it, which i doubt, here's what you do, fly towards the marker and get the dodo as high as possible. When you reach the jet and inevidably overtake it, stay calm and turn around slowly when your directly behind it, drop to gain speed and if you've timed it right, you decending so quickly should give you enough speed to fly into the corona.

Thanks for the tip, dude. I'll try and remember that when I get back to that point in the game (Due to stupidity, I accidentally overwrote that saved game with a new game.)

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Games you got stuck in
« Reply #75 on: 11 Jul 2005, 12:13 »

Well aren't you just the biggest badass ever. [/bitter]

aww, cmon, you know im not being mean
hell, you'd beat it easily too if you played videogames as much as i did then
i dont play as much anymore, but i still play alot.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Angelan

Games you got stuck in
« Reply #76 on: 11 Jul 2005, 13:04 »

Quote from: FreshJive787
i got stuck in dmc3 and gave up

I'm still stuck on Devil May Cry one.  After about a year of having given it up, I came back to it and ended up switching the machine off in a huff after dying about five times ;).

Stupid man-with-guts-and-honour....:p

nihilist

Re: Games you got stuck in
« Reply #77 on: 17 Oct 2006, 10:13 »

FEAR.  Just couldn't care enough to do it.
Doom 3; I played for three hours, tops.
Oblivion...  Just got buggy, and I didn't care to backtrack far enough to fix it.
Titan Quest
Armies of Exigo
Raven Shield
The Movies
Civ IV
Vampire - The Masquerade Bloodlines

Then there were the games that were great, but over far too quickly.  Company of Heroes, Hidden and Dangerous 2, Hitman Blood Money, HL2...

ackblom12

« Reply #78 on: 17 Oct 2006, 12:34 »

Fucking goddamn Quest for Glory IV.  There were so many bugs in that game that it was basically impossible to beat unless you got a walkthrough and did exactly what it said.

I played through that damn game 12 fuckin times before I didn't encounter a game breaking bug. Luckily fan patches have fixed every problem there ever was for it, and I still play through the enitre series on occasion.

I've gotten stuck in practically every single platformer that has item collection. Which means all of them. Though in my defense, I'm a completist and it feels wrong NOT to collect all the pretties and it seems a small chunk of collectibles are always in places that make no sense.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2006, 12:43 by ackblom12 »

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #79 on: 17 Oct 2006, 13:45 »

I never completed FEAR, mainly because most of my gaming time is at night and I am a baby.
Never bothered beating Doom 3, because of hella-boringness.
I could never beat the plane level in the original Super Mario Bros. for the Gameboy. I hate that level.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #80 on: 17 Oct 2006, 13:48 »

I never did beat Legend of Zelda II: Link to the Past. I got to the final boss, where you're supposed to use Thunder, but always died. Then something happened to my cartridge, or my NES (this was like 13 years ago), and I never played it again. The few times I've gotten a ROM of it, it was always buggy and froze up every so often and the saves never worked.

If you people haven't beaten FFX yet, just get Tidus' and Auron's ultimate weapon. Makes the game so much easier. Like, too easy. I was appauled at how easily I ripped through the final fights.

...damn this work thing and wanting to go play video games!!
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #81 on: 17 Oct 2006, 16:44 »

I got stuck in Star Ocean (the PS2 one) I just cannot make this puzzle work for me, which sucks because IO kind of liked the game.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Archangel_Lucifer

« Reply #82 on: 17 Oct 2006, 23:05 »

Hmm I don't think I have ever not finished a game except if it was a rental and I didn't have enough time. It took me a long while to beat tartarus on ledgendary Halo2. He has about 5x more HP than he should due to a defect on my disc. You run completely out of ammo before he's even on half health. It took me forever to finish the last part of NWN because I had a lvl 15 mage and for some reason it wouldnt let me rest! I had used all my spells up and hadn't got a savegame in a decent point. Was hell funny using up all my massive stockpile of scrolls on the final boss.
Oh Actually I never finished the original privateer. Either something was broken or I got stuck at some point of the storyline.

Grawsith

« Reply #83 on: 18 Oct 2006, 02:34 »

Doom 3. I hated those monster closets.

Like, you would walk into a room, and you'd see something shiny (a gun / healthpack/ armour etc). Pick it up, and a monster would jump on you OUTTA NOWHERE and take you out.

The best example of this is when you first get the shotgun.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #84 on: 18 Oct 2006, 03:49 »

I never completed FEAR, mainly because most of my gaming time is at night and I am a baby.

DOO EET

Best game ever.

nihilist

« Reply #85 on: 18 Oct 2006, 06:47 »

Worst game ever.

Fixed that for you.

öde

« Reply #86 on: 18 Oct 2006, 07:18 »

Not really, all your opinions are shit, as a Mr. Hocking would say.

nihilist

« Reply #87 on: 18 Oct 2006, 07:47 »

That may be true, but I carry the bigger bat.

öde

« Reply #88 on: 18 Oct 2006, 07:50 »

That may be true, but your bat is shit.

nihilist

« Reply #89 on: 18 Oct 2006, 08:19 »

Nobody wants to get hit by a shit-bat.  It smells, and leaves a smear-stain.

The Hammered

« Reply #90 on: 18 Oct 2006, 09:24 »

Thief 2, Sabotage at Soulforge. It's an amazing mission, but it's so large, difficult and nightmarish that I found it difficult to continue (and I got sidetracked by all the fan missions available for it). I'm still not sure whether I'll just pick it up where I left off or start the whole game anew.

There are lots of others, of course, but that's the one that's really in the back of my mind now.

Phishie

« Reply #91 on: 19 Oct 2006, 02:25 »

Only time I can really remember getting stuck and giving up was with Silent Hill at the moth boss fight, but it was a case of saving over my old data in a horrid spot. Where you've raped and plundered the land of ammo, used most of it and are stuck entering a bossfight. If there had been a button that ripped off wings though, I woulda had 'im.

(First post... a swing and a miss!)

öde

« Reply #92 on: 19 Oct 2006, 04:21 »

Haha, speaking of bad save spots, I saved Oddworld: Abes Oddessy when there were a few bullets coming towards me.

Somehow, after about 50 tries, I managed to dodge them.

thepugs

« Reply #93 on: 19 Oct 2006, 12:51 »

Oh man, I definitely did that in Oddworld too.  Pain in the ass.

My friend and I both got stuck in Painkiller.  There was this giant hole in a hallway, filled with fire.  All the guides were just like "Jump over it!"...but we couldn't.  Anyone play that game?

GileX

« Reply #94 on: 20 Oct 2006, 07:51 »

Yeah painkiller is zombie killing goodness, but i got stuck for a fair bit on ruby weapon in FF7, i had everything you could get but i didnt think of the knights of the round combo for a while, plus he kept taking cloud out of the battle

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #95 on: 20 Oct 2006, 08:08 »

I never progress beyond a certain point in Oblivion - I hate having oblivion gates around, so my inclination is to level myself out and do all the fighters guild quests before going to Kvatch.... but then I wind up having to wade through daedroth, spider daedra, storm atronachs and all other manner of unholiness where before there were only scamps. and because that gate was set up with the assumption you'll be far more powerful than the stunted scamps, you wind up being drastically outnumbered by some of the nastiest foes in the game.

so... I either put up with having to fend of daedra periodically as I wander around the world, or I have a fun time sandboxing but then find the story mode almost impossibly difficult.

The solution I've found was to take the skills I DON'T use (marksman, speechcraft, stealth, security, mercantile, athletics and acrobatics) as my primaries, and then powerlevel the skills I DO use. That way, I become teh leet pwnstick while sandboxing, and still find the story mode acceptably easy.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #96 on: 21 Oct 2006, 04:28 »

I still have nightmares about the hoverbike races in battletoads.  Never did finish it.  That whole game was impossible.

Almost as bad, Halo's Truth and Reconciliation level took me almost two months to beat on legendary.  The first room of the ship with the stealth elites and the big room with the dropships were the big sticking points.  After that, the rest of the game seemed easy.

One of the races in GTA: San Andreas, Freeway I think, got the better of me.  It's a highway race in a Super GT, but the computer has faster, better-handling cars.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

Splunkle

« Reply #97 on: 21 Oct 2006, 05:31 »

Oh man, I definitely did that in Oddworld too.? Pain in the ass.

My friend and I both got stuck in Painkiller.? There was this giant hole in a hallway, filled with fire.? All the guides were just like "Jump over it!"...but we couldn't.? Anyone play that game?

Yes! Though I get stuck at the giant dude with the hammer - hes one of the bosses. Gimmie the level though, and I'll see how I did it.

Oh wait, I think I lost my savegames went my HDD went splodey... 'kay, it might take me a while, but I'll see what I can do. ^_^

elcapitan

« Reply #98 on: 21 Oct 2006, 22:53 »

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Some of those puzzles fucking NAILED me... This, of course, is in the day before walkthroughs on the internet. Trying to triangulate the location of the labyrinth on Crete? Insane!

In fact, LucasArts games had some mind-bending puzzles. Sam and Max, anyone? Or how about the Monkey Island series?

LOOM? God DAMN that was ridiculous.

rasufelle

« Reply #99 on: 21 Oct 2006, 23:35 »

I'm stuck in Primal.  Not on a puzzle or anything, but because I can't find the stupid door into the final control room thingy in Aquis.  I've spent, like, seven hours swimming around this thing trying to find the door in, but I can't find one, and Skree can't get anywhere near it, so I don't have any idea what to do.  I even downloaded a walkthrough to try and find the door, but all it says is "Swim through the door" and doesn't even give any clue as to where it is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up