THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 03:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mare anyone?  (Read 4332 times)

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
Mare anyone?
« on: 22 Jun 2005, 13:13 »

has anyone ever heard this band, Mare? i guess you could say they're doom/drone maybe even a little sludge.. Fronted by the ex-vocalist of The End. they are incredible. for fans of isis, neurosis, pelican, jesu (from what i've heard.. i haven't actually heard jesu, but this is what i'm told)...
kjodshfoasdjoJKK.;;;''''""////////32xX

Robbo

Mare anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2005, 14:32 »

Yay for Mare. Though probably more of the actually Drone/Doom fans on the Pelican and Jesu side rather than the "Atmospheric" Sludge of Isis and Neurosis.

And you're missing out having not heard Jesu (and Godflesh as well if you haven't heard that) The End I love as well, tis a good band.

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
Mare anyone?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2005, 14:34 »

Quote from: Robbo
Yay for Mare. Though probably more of the actually Drone/Doom fans on the Pelican and Jesu side rather than the "Atmospheric" Sludge of Isis and Neurosis.

And you're missing out having not heard Jesu (and Godflesh as well if you haven't heard that) The End I love as well, tis a good band.
give to me, music from either band. i'm on AIM right now. BillyxRansom.

Robbo

Mare anyone?
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2005, 14:41 »

How about I'm not touching AIM. Though you can steal it yourself on DC++ or even buy it. Otherwise, I'll just have to be nice and upload some....samples...yes that's it..samples.

While we're here, Hydrahead is a good label. People need to listen to more stuff than Isis in the areas of Drone/Atmospheric.

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
Mare anyone?
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jun 2005, 14:43 »

oh um okay..

suicidebears

Mare anyone?
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2005, 14:43 »

i wouldn't call them drone/doom at all, but whatever, it doesn't matter to me.  what does matter is that mare is amazing, and i can't wait for a full length.

slumlord

Mare anyone?
« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2005, 00:50 »

Mare is awesome. I wouldn't know what to categorize 'em as, but it's good stuff. Check out more bands on Hydra Head Records and Tortuga Records for similar stuff. I just can't say enough good things about those labels!

Robbo

Mare anyone?
« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2005, 01:05 »

Hydra Head has a good range of stuff on it, though thankfully it's not an Isis fan boy label. Southern Lord of course has all the Earth-worship bands. And there's NULLL records, mainly there to give an outting for Stijn van Cauter's music, but there's some other things on there. Mostly to the darker, more Droom side of things though.

It's impressive how quickly (most) Drone has evloved from it's roots in Earth into so man things. THose bands that are just crushing walls of Drone noise, to bands that take the Drone Doom Metal idea of Earth further, to ones that mix parts pure Drone with parts Doom to create more textured soundscapes. And lots of other stuff as well.

kikanjuuneko

Mare anyone?
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2005, 03:06 »

Mare are pretty okay, if you ask me. Though many times, I find I just have this aversion to Hydrahead bands, because of the sheer amounts of hype they get, just for being on Hydrahead.

Robbo

Mare anyone?
« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2005, 03:13 »

See, that's the thing. The only time I ever hear about this hype for Hydra Head bands in in reviews for them, commenting on it and/or bashing them for all the hype. *Shrug* Guess it's down to what you're looking at.

kikanjuuneko

Mare anyone?
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2005, 10:29 »

Well, I suppose you're right about that. I don't know, maybe it's me reacting to the fact that pretty much the rest of the Vendetta staff just loooves that slow, wall-of-sound Hydrahead-and-their-subsidiaries stuff.

Robbo

Mare anyone?
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2005, 10:38 »

Maybe, Hydra Head is not a pure Drone/Noise label, unlike NULLL records. Discordance Axis where on HH before they split...and I think Converge used to be/are signed to them as well. Though yes, a lot of the bands on them are Drone/Sludge stuff.

kikanjuuneko

Mare anyone?
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2005, 11:02 »

Converge never were on Hydrahead per se, they just put out a few rare splits on HH. I think they were on Equal Vision or Ferret at the time.

But my point is more that it's what Hydrahead are famous for, and what people will jock them for.

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
Mare anyone?
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2005, 11:03 »

Quote from: Robbo
Maybe, Hydra Head is not a pure Drone/Noise label, unlike NULLL records. Discordance Axis where on HH before they split...and I think Converge used to be/are signed to them as well. Though yes, a lot of the bands on them are Drone/Sludge stuff.
what is the NULLL label's website?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Mare anyone?
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2005, 16:38 »

Mare as in lunar seas, or lady horses?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

BillyxRansom

• Furry furrier
Mare anyone?
« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2005, 23:41 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Mare as in lunar seas, or lady horses?
the latter, i think?
Pages: [1]   Go Up