THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARG computer problems  (Read 6278 times)

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
ARG computer problems
« on: 22 Jun 2005, 14:17 »

so i have an AMD 64 3200 and an Nvidia 6800 GT, but whenever i play CS:S, half life 2, battlefield 2 or any other newer games they always play fine for a couple seconds, freeze, then start again, freeze, start and keep goin like that for a while, even when i play the minimum settings. can someone help me out?

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
ARG computer problems
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jun 2005, 18:49 »

cmon help me out i really need help!

Kelamin

• Balloon animal serial killer
ARG computer problems
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jun 2005, 19:25 »

have u tried reinstalling windows with clean drivers?
"I miss you cupcake"

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
ARG computer problems
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jun 2005, 19:36 »

Quote from: FreshJive787
cmon help me out i really need help!

this isn't a place to make demands, it's a place to make requests with words like "please".

for one, BF2 takes a lot of memory.  the other two games aren't as bad though, so i don't think that that is the only problem.  how much ram do you have in your system?  if it's anything less than 512mb then there's a problem right there.

also, what size is your AGP aperture set at?  i've heard that 128mb is pretty much the best to set it to for BF2, perhaps this is the same for the other games.

also, there are reports that a personal firewall program called "zone alarm" will cause HL2-based games to freeze up every so often.  if you're running it then you've got to uninstall it to stop it from happening.  for some reason just disabling it won't help.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
ARG computer problems
« Reply #4 on: 23 Jun 2005, 12:31 »

sorry for the bad manners :D can someone Please help me with this problem, i have all the latest video card drivers as well, alsop 1 GB of dual channel ram, also i dont think i have that firewall unless it came stock with Windows XP. also how do i change AGP aperture settings? this may be the problem, help would be greatly appreciated

Loser

ARG computer problems
« Reply #5 on: 23 Jun 2005, 18:56 »

sounds to me like the GPU could possibly be overheating. how well is your case cooled? go into the nvidia settings and try to monitor the temperature of the GPU while this is occuring.

you can change the AGP aperature in the BIOS, if your motherboard allows you to do it. i don't think that would cause stuttering anyway, but it may help.

what other programs are running in the background? try turning off as much as you can. you could have some nasty spyware/virus that you don't know about.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
ARG computer problems
« Reply #6 on: 23 Jun 2005, 20:50 »

i is dumb

Kjammer

ARG computer problems
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2005, 23:48 »

Does your Windows XP have "Service Pack 2" Installed?  (The addon to Windows XP that has internet security programs and measures, such as a Firewall).  SP2 usually causes me problems (usually with games made by EA), This might not be the case in your situation.

Quote from: Loser
what other programs are running in the background? try turning off as much as you can. you could have some nasty spyware/virus that you don't know about.

I agree with the above suggestion.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
ARG computer problems
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2005, 00:48 »

Quote from: FreshJive787
the GPU of my video card runs at 4 degrees C

this is impossible unless you've got some kind of gas cooling, or your house is incredibly cold.  temperatures will never be below room temperature, and will more often than not be about 5-10 degrees C above it, even when idling.

that said, though, i very much doubt it'd be a heat issue because you say that it happens right away.  heat issues normally happen after a fair while playing.

if you had a p4 i'd say that you hadn't plugged the extra power cable into it.  or was that with nvidias?  fuck i can't remember.  check you've got all the power plugs you need plugged in, anyway.  if you are not 100% sure that you've set it up right then read the manuals that came with the cpu and the gfx card, because i can remember a problem like this being linked to a power issue. (although i am pretty sure it was a p4-specific problem, but i thought i'd bring it up anyway just in case)

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
ARG computer problems
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2005, 12:11 »

well i do have windows xp with SP2 and im gonna go check my manuals and stuff for now and check my power cables

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
ARG computer problems
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2005, 14:06 »

well i cleaned out my case with a can of air and re arranged cables for maximum airflow, also i checked manuals and my card doesnt need more power so im still confused on whats goin on

Loser

ARG computer problems
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2005, 10:04 »

have you defragged your harddrive recently?

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
ARG computer problems
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2005, 21:28 »

yeah i defragged, but what are some good adware and spyware removal programs, i only have AVG

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
ARG computer problems
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2005, 22:22 »

ad-aware is pretty good.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
ARG computer problems
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2005, 23:24 »

got adaware, cleaned out what was around my comp but the game is still skipping, btw cool avatar est

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
ARG computer problems
« Reply #15 on: 26 Jun 2005, 00:15 »

at the moment i suspect that it's got to do with your video card.  two things to test it would be to run prime95 or superPI to test the cpu, then run something like 3dmark03, or some other graphics-intensive benchmark.

if the cpu-intensive benchmarks fail then maybe there's something screwy going on with the cpu.  if the 3dmark one fails then maybe it's something to do with the video card.

also: do you have any friends with pcs that you could borrow a video card from?  when weird problems like this pop up i tend to try swapping hardware out until the problem stops.  then whatever you swapped out is usually the cause of the problem.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
ARG computer problems
« Reply #16 on: 26 Jun 2005, 05:01 »

uh, valve HATE nvidia, mainly cause ATI pay them to

if you plan on playing HL2 and such, it's best to have an ATI card

but there was a driver that fixed this, or something for steam, that sorted it all out

sorry but i dont know where it is now
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
ARG computer problems
« Reply #17 on: 26 Jun 2005, 13:32 »

anyone know of any good tuning programs? i used Ntune for a while but i wanna be able to look at my temps and stuff for my motherboard and everything, help is greatly appreciated
Pages: [1]   Go Up