THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 02:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Los Angeles and the Violent Femmes  (Read 3949 times)

ChanPai

Los Angeles and the Violent Femmes
« on: 28 Jul 2005, 14:09 »

Hola angelenos y angelenas! Como estan?
When you live in L.A., you accidentally pick up Spanish. It just happens.
So does anyone here like the Violent Femmes? Anyone here an L.A. local or close to it? The Femmes are playing at Amoeba in Hollywood (truly one of the best things to come from up north) and I think it would be cool if there were a crapload of people there. Not that there already won't be.
Just a heads up!

The Femmes are sort indie-esuqe...

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2005, 14:13 »

I really dig the Violent Femmes.  Not so much a fan of El A but that may be more of a bad experience association.

Kanno

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2005, 15:15 »

The Femmes were probably the first indie-ish band I was ever into.  I would have to agree that they are excellent.

sp2

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2005, 16:28 »

I liked them a lot in high school.  Then I sort of grew out of it.  I saw them with the Pixies a few months ago and I was sort of underimpressed.

On a mostly unrelated note, someone in my high school nearly got expelled for playing "Blister in the Sun" at a school talent show.  Apparently songs about masturbation and getting "high as a kite" violate school policy or something.

Apparently, also, school policy violates First Ammendment Rights.  Fuck, I hated my high school.

sp2

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2005, 16:34 »

I dunno.  My school were a bunch of fucking nazis.  I got kicked out for being a "high risk" for becoming a school shooter when they found out through the grapevine that I'm bipolar and was angry that they had knowingly looked the other way from a lot of serious violence experienced by myself and my friends.  I could probably sue the fuckers, but it's not worth the legal battle.

They probably just had a problem with "high as a kite."  But then, the class song that year was "A Little Help From My Friends" so fuck that hypothesis.

The Nazi hypothesis stands.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jul 2005, 19:52 »

That reminds me, I have to kick the posse in order to polish off our cover of Cradle of Filth's Nymphetamine Fix for our school talent show this year.

I THINK we'll be able to get away with it. Despite the four and a half metric fucktonnes of barely concealed sexual innuendo and suicide references.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ChanPai

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jul 2005, 20:29 »

It all depends on where you went to school.
I went to three high schools. One was super liberal-- students were members of the Wiccan Club and I often wrote newspaper editorials about legalizing marijuana-- whereas one was super conservative-- I was almost suspended for allowing an article that alluded to premarital sex to get published and we weren't allowed to start an Amnesty International.
But if there is anything graduating high school taught me, it's that high school is a [expletive] hole. A big, acid-filled, cess-pooling [expletive] hole.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2005, 20:57 »

Some kid who wrote for the newspaper at our school wrote something about Maoism and they refused to print it because it might have encouraged Rebellion.  Yeah. High School's in Kansas really fucking suck. But at least I'm not in Missouri, where they're really conservative and, as an added bonus, piss poor.

Khar: Just make the vocals as distorted as you can. if they ask for a lyrics sheet or something, make up stuff. woo!
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Willis

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2005, 17:54 »

The Femmes rock!  I saw them...uh...back in 1998?  They came to to my Uni and played a show in an old gym.  Bad acoustics but great show.  I only own Add It Up but every song they played rocked.  There are only 3 of them, but they put out an amazing amount of sound.  Funny thing about that gym, apparently Pink Floyd played there way back in 1967 or something like that.

~~Willis
Pages: [1]   Go Up