THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stephen Malkmus and the jicks?  (Read 4332 times)

alic3sw0nd3rland

Stephen Malkmus and the jicks?
« on: 24 Jun 2005, 12:13 »

Is this the same Stephen Malkmus from pavement? and if so is this band any good?

deborah

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2005, 12:19 »

yes to the first, no to the second.
for at least the first two tours around, he had his milla-jovovich-looking girlfriend playing tambourine (badly) and singing back-up (again, badly).

alic3sw0nd3rland

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2005, 12:27 »

That sucks because I like pavement and I really like Stephen Malkmus' Solo album.

Merkava

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2005, 12:57 »

Face the Truth is the only solo album of his I really like, as it doesn't sound like he's desperately trying to sound like Pavement, but doesn't sound TOO different, like Travis Morrison's album, which ends up being too sugary and too poppy.

So yeah, I'd say Stephen has been doing a pretty good job, as he was the real creative driving force behind Pavement, which kind of explains why Spiral Stairs' solo albums haven't done too well.

deborah

« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2005, 06:30 »

his "solo" album WAS the jicks (at least the first one was, anyway).  he always wanted to name the band that, but the rekkid label was afraid no one would buy it without the name power that is stephen malkmus.

Merkava

« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2005, 09:06 »

Yes, I know. I never said otherwise.

deborah

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2005, 06:09 »

my comments were more directed at alic3sw0nd3rland, who asked if the jicks were any good, and then said that it was too bad that i thought the jicks were terrible live because s/he thought malkmus' solo albu...never mind.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2005, 16:58 »

I kind of like Pig Lib!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

thermodynamics

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2005, 19:20 »

i really liked pig lib... i don't see what's so bad about it. witch mountain bridge (track 8) and 1% of 1 (track 11) are better, in my opinion, than any song on face the truth... i like it best out of all his non-pavement material. face the truth is alright, and has its high spots, but i can listen to pig lib all the way through without reaching for the next track button ...VERY not so with face the truth. o well... different strokes for different people. i just couldn't let one of my favorite cds of 2003 get dissed without at least a counter-opinion. anywho, cheers!

Merkava

« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2005, 10:57 »

Honestly, I've never listened to Pig Lib. Only the first and latest.

synecdoche

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2005, 18:17 »

I LOVE Pig Lib, even more than Face the Truth (which I also think is good, though not nearly as good as Pig Lib in my book).  He does some cool stuff with time signatures and some weird medieval type stylings that I really dig.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2005, 19:30 »

I think the first s/t he put out was kind of boring except for one song. I thought PigLib was amazing, and I think Face the Truth is almost (alllllmost) better than Piglib.. I dig Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks more than I dig Pavement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up