THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 01:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greenday - Time After Time  (Read 10285 times)

Sydney

Greenday - Time After Time
« on: 25 Jun 2005, 08:12 »

During my innocent roamings of the net, i chanced upon a strangely titled "mp3". It read GreenDay - Time After Time. Recognising the title of a well known track and the name of an excellent group of musicians, my curiosity got the better of me and i was forced to download it.

It dosn't sound like Green Day. NuMetal, but not Green Day. So can anyone shed any light on it? Suggest who it might be?

=Warning May Cause Offence. Read At Own Risk=
Another confusing thing. Green Day's allmusic.com page lists Ashlee Simpson as a follower. Not a big deal. But the scary thing; On Ashlee's page, Avril is listed as a similar artist. eww...
Throught Green Day having Nirvana listed as a similar artist, Nirvana and Avril are linked.. Tell me thats not wrong.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2005, 11:56 »

I know Ozzy did a song called 'Time After Time'. Maybe you got that and someone was an idiot?
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Robbo

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jun 2005, 11:58 »

An upload of the file and/or the lyrics might help.

sp2

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2005, 12:54 »

Why would you download Green Day songs?  And admit to it?  That's like admitting you jerk off to Discovery Channel specials.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2005, 12:56 »

That right there just made my day.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

sp2

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2005, 13:05 »

Yes!  Sigworthy!

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jun 2005, 14:04 »

That's like admitting you jerk off to Discovery Channel specials

don't we all... And yes Green Day is so not scene, minus a bajillion scene points n00b ;)

I am not sure if I am sarcastic or just ridiculed myself

sp2

« Reply #7 on: 25 Jun 2005, 14:26 »

I can't figure it out either.

My point isn't that Green Day is shit.  Some of their early stuff was decent, if uninspired.  Their later stuff is shit, pure and unadulterated.  And they basically kicked off the shitty pop-punk scene.  They are singlehandedly to blame for Blink 182 and Sum41, as well as a bunch of other shit bands.

But that's not my point.  My point is, there's better 90s punk music out there and better 90s punk music for you, no matter what your tastes are.  Seriously, Dookie or Unfun?  Yeah.  Case Closed.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #8 on: 25 Jun 2005, 15:17 »

Besides the fact that it's cliched by now to pull out "Blink-182 and Sum 41" as pop-punk bands, neither of those are pop-punk anymore. It's true, time to face it. And those two were quite easily the best of the bunch at any rate.

Green Day are, however, to blame for the Simple Plans and Good Charlottes of the world. If you're going to be elitist, at least be elitist and topical.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Merkava

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jun 2005, 15:48 »

Quote from: sp2
I can't figure it out either.

My point isn't that Green Day is shit.  Some of their early stuff was decent, if uninspired.  Their later stuff is shit, pure and unadulterated.  And they basically kicked off the shitty pop-punk scene.  They are singlehandedly to blame for Blink 182 and Sum41, as well as a bunch of other shit bands.

But that's not my point.  My point is, there's better 90s punk music out there and better 90s punk music for you, no matter what your tastes are.  Seriously, Dookie or Unfun?  Yeah.  Case Closed.

I feel it's quite the contrary. I prefer Warning and American Idiot to any of the crap they produced in their earlier carreer.

Chalk it up to taste, but I feel that Warning and American Idiot are nowhere near the "pop punk" we face in today's industry.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: 25 Jun 2005, 16:36 »

I'm sorry, but American Idiot is shit.

Seriously, I've heard a lot of terribly vacuous political statements in my time. I've heard a lot of annoying singers in my time, and I've seen a lot of bands with an utterly retarded fanbase (in general, in general)

And American Idiot takes the biscuit. Plus, can I get an OVERPLAYED?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Not An Addict

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jun 2005, 18:00 »

Plus, can I get an OVERPLAYED?

Yes. Yes, you can. But compared to the other crap on the radio, Green Day are actually something of a relief. "Holiday" is pretty catchy.

sp2

« Reply #12 on: 25 Jun 2005, 19:08 »

Quote from: Johnny C
If you're going to be elitist, at least be elitist and topical.

I haven't watched MTV or listened to corporate radio for easily the last 4 years.  So I'm a little out of date on the popular shit, thanks.

As for American Idiot, it was shit.  It was a cynical attempt to capitalize off of the heated political issues surrounding the election.  It was shit, so stop your little internal dialogue.

Not An Addict

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2005, 19:33 »

Besides the fact that it's cliched by now to pull out "Blink-182 and Sum 41" as pop-punk bands, neither of those are pop-punk anymore. It's true, time to face it.

Then what are they? Because they sure as hell aren't punk. Or rock. You could make a case for Sum 41 fitting in the latter, but Blink-182 are still strictly in the pop mold.

Merkava

« Reply #14 on: 25 Jun 2005, 20:51 »

Quote from: sp2
If you're going to be elitist, at least be elitist and topical.

I haven't watched MTV or listened to corporate radio for easily the last 4 years.  So I'm a little out of date on the popular shit, thanks.

As for American Idiot, it was shit.  It was a cynical attempt to capitalize off of the heated political issues surrounding the election.  It was shit, so stop your little internal dialogue.

Obviously, because you are the pontiff of all quality in music and thereby you guessing what the intention behind an album was will automatically become fact.

Sorry, but I thought it was genuinly a quality album. Mabe the concept can be considered a spin on the election just for sales, but that doesn't mean that the music can't be good.

If this weren't off topic, I would not follow any advice from your post.

Elemeno Pea

« Reply #15 on: 25 Jun 2005, 21:03 »

The part that really bothers me about American Idiot is the line:

"I don't want be part of the Redneck Agenda"

I find it interesting that a politcally conscience punk song would use the degregating term for poor people living in rural regions and label them as the enemy. Since when was it politically correct to ridicule people for being weathered by hard work? I mean do long days in fields that give you sunburns on your neck make you part of what's keeping the system down? Who's the real American Idiot?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #16 on: 25 Jun 2005, 21:25 »

It's because Green Day can't seem to move past the "omg I called you a redneck lollerskates" phase and into actual political statements. or something.

Dead Kennedys 4 LIEF!!!!11one

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2005, 21:27 »

Quote from: Not An Addict
Then what are they? Because they sure as hell aren't punk. Or rock. You could make a case for Sum 41 fitting in the latter, but Blink-182 are still strictly in the pop mold.

Blink-182 jumped on the new-new-wave bandwagon before there was a new-new-wave bandwagon; blink-182 is definitely post-punk more than anything else.

Not An Addict

« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2005, 22:23 »

I thought "post-punk" referred to music that came after, y'know, punk. In the '70s. Post-punk doesn't exist anymore.

And I thought "new-new-wave" was the stuff Franz Ferdinand, Electric Six, the Killers, the Bravery, etc. were doing. Blink-182 don't sound anything like them.

Quote from: Elemeno Pea
I find it interesting that a politcally conscience punk song would use the degregating term for poor people living in rural regions and label them as the enemy. Since when was it politically correct to ridicule people for being weathered by hard work?

Because the term "redneck" no longer simply denotes someone who does hard rural labor. A redneck, according to the modern social definition, is also someone who is closed-minded, racist, homophobic, and a Bible-thumper. That's the connotation Green Day were referencing.

movielife_girl

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2005, 22:44 »

Ok, if you're GOING to hate Green Day that's cool I mean to each his own I suppose but don't try and slam them with "pop-punk" "better before 98" bullshit.  American Idiot is a solid album from beginning to end, actually one of the better albums I've heard in the past 365 days.  Yea, it's all about personal preference though.  

Oh, and time after time? hah yeahhh Cyndi!!
Sorry I'm late. I was out spoiling my liver.

Husker B.

« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2005, 22:56 »

Green Day is hardly the most original sounding band...They are well versed in the sound of both The Ramones and The Clash, but that being said:

American Idiot is a great album, as was Dookie...They have produced hit single after hit single for more than a decade in an industry where the average shelf life of a performer is about 6 weeks...

I have nothing but respect for the artists who can survive in this biz, regardless of their "indie-cred" status...They can listen to you bitch about their ruination of modern music on their own...if they can hear it over the sounds of cash being stacked in their homes...

Sydney

« Reply #21 on: 26 Jun 2005, 01:52 »

No offence, but fuck you.
I like green day, they are awesome, if you can't see that, oh well, don't bother me with it. I just wanted to know if they had done a cover of Time After Time and if any numetal bands had done a cover. Because it dosn't sound like them. So please, stick to the topic, don't be an elitist prick. Green Day rock. Try listening to the music, they are good musicians. I can hear you adjust the velcro on your MyFirst Flaming Hat. Go get a life.

ASturge

« Reply #22 on: 26 Jun 2005, 02:03 »

^

I quite like Green Day, but they are NOT good musicians.

On the subject of the cover, maybe they just felt like doing something a bit diffrent?

Sydney

« Reply #23 on: 26 Jun 2005, 02:26 »

Quote from: ASturge
^

I quite like Green Day, but they are NOT good musicians.

On the subject of the cover, maybe they just felt like doing something a bit diffrent?

On the subject of the cover, It just dosn't sound like them, at all. But thanks for being on-topicish.

But they are good musicians. They have that magic touch. Everything fits. It flows. I don't know the fancy words to describe it all, but i know music. It's punk, but it's got that magic. Everything just fits. Not to mention the vocals. They can really sing. Listen to each instrument, seperate it all out then mix it back together. They really get into the music. I'm not one of these kiddy greenday fans, i don't just jump about to the catchy punk overtone. Admitedley it is simple to play. But effective. Timing rythem. But this is like preaching to a wall. You're all entitled to your opinions, just don't push it on me, i'll push back.

Sometimes you picture me i'm walking too far ahead.
You're calling to me i can't hear what you said.
You said go slow and i fall behind.
the second hand unwinds .
If you're lost you can look and you will find me.
Time after Time.
If you fall i will catch you.

Rough lyrics. but you get it?
So if anyone can tell me who might have done a numetal cover, i would be grateful.

trolley

« Reply #24 on: 26 Jun 2005, 03:18 »

Does it sound like good charlotte?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #25 on: 26 Jun 2005, 03:24 »

A bit of googling gives me the possible name 'Uncle Kraker'?

It's a Cyndi Lauper cover.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Sydney

« Reply #26 on: 26 Jun 2005, 03:38 »

Uncle Kraker? I'll look it up.
It is a Cyndi Lauper cover yes.

It dosn't sound like good charlotte, i would hardly describe them as numetal. Generally i describe them as "play that and i'll tear your eyes out and stuff them in your ears" :p

Sorry about the agression and cussing earlier.

sp2

« Reply #27 on: 26 Jun 2005, 06:48 »

Quote from: Sydney
But they are good musicians.

Not really.

They have that magic touch.

You mean the one where everything they touch turns to greenbacks?  Yeah, last I heard, Good Charlotte can do the same thing.

Everything fits.

According to a formula.

It flows.

Like a bowel movement.

I don't know the fancy words to describe it all, but i know music.

Do you now?  Really?

It's punk, but it's got that magic.

Oh damn, just when I was believing you know music, you pull this shit on me.

Green Day isn't punk.  No, it's not.  Sorry.  Maybe it's pop punk.  It's much closer to post-grunge alternative.  Punk is raw.  It's raunchy.  It's not clean and comfortable with walking basslines.  Punk is the Ramones, the Clash, the Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, the Misfits.  90s punk is Jawbreaker (with the exception of Dear You.  Dear You was pretty much crap, but I digress).

Saying "oh, you're just talking shit about Green Day because they're rich and ubiquitous" doesn't help your case.  Paris Hilton is rich and ubiquitous, and none of us are arguing that she's anything but a rich, obnoxious cunt.  Green Day is decent.  They're catchy, but no catchier than anything else that made the top 40 in the early 90s, and that really doesn't say much about quality.

As for American Idiot, this is why I think it was a cynical attempt to make money by throwinig in two cents about a popular political issue.  Green Day's previous work had little to no political content, I'm sorry, but singing about jerking off just doesn't strike me as a poignant critique on corruption in American politics.  American Idiot, like many other albums released in 2004, made Green Day suddenly political, which, you know, kudos to them, if EVERY OTHER BAND WITH ANY AFFINITIES TO PUNK, INDUSTRIAL, ALTERNATVE, OR U2 (by the way, fuck U2, Bono, you're a prick) HADN'T RELEASED AN ALBUM WITH NEARLY IDENTICAL CONTENT AND THE SAME LACK OF LYRICAL PROFICIENCY.  Dude, even fucking Eminem did the same thing, okay?  Yeah, sure, Green Day was making a statement, "Hey guys, I bet we can make more money off our fans if we write about something topical.  Okay guys!"

Plus there's better punk out there.  Really.  Seriously.

So seriously, we don't care if you jerk off to movies of monkeys doing it, but don't defend it as if it's some sort of lifestyle choice, okay?

sp2

« Reply #28 on: 26 Jun 2005, 06:50 »

I think my main problem with American Idiot is that it's part of a trend of celebrities being activists with other people's money.

Fuck that shit.  Give me the Dead Kennedys.

Sydney

« Reply #29 on: 26 Jun 2005, 07:05 »

Whatever. You're entitled to your opinions. Id rather not litter the forums any longer.

Suggest this thread is locked, deleted and banished into a deep dark pit. I just wanted to know if greenday had covered time after time.

I still like greenday, if that goes against the grain [Imagine something really insulting here].

Spencer

« Reply #30 on: 26 Jun 2005, 07:33 »

Kerplunk was a great album.

ASturge

« Reply #31 on: 26 Jun 2005, 07:36 »

so....

er.....

Who here like Cake Mix?

Sydney

« Reply #32 on: 26 Jun 2005, 07:56 »

Quote from: ASturge

Who here like Cake Mix?

WOO CAKE MIX!

But seriously, someone please kill this thread.
Also, give me cake mix.

Merkava

« Reply #33 on: 26 Jun 2005, 07:59 »

The Dead Kennedy's are punk.

Oh, I like Cake Mix. XP

Sydney

« Reply #34 on: 26 Jun 2005, 08:01 »

YAY CAKE MIX!

Not An Addict

« Reply #35 on: 26 Jun 2005, 09:41 »

Punk is raw. It's raunchy. It's not clean and comfortable with walking basslines. Punk is the Ramones, the Clash, the Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, the Misfits.

I think it's hysterical how purists always cite the Ramones and the Clash as 'real' punk in contrast to the poppy stuff of today. Because "Rock the Casbah" and "Rock and Roll High School" aren't pop at all. No siree. Pure, raw punk! Dirty and uncomfortable! Fuck yeah!

And woo, cake mix. Spoon me some of that.

movielife_girl

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #36 on: 26 Jun 2005, 09:49 »

Yea and I don't recall any royalty of punk rock giving us guidelines as to what it's all about and/or what it's supposed to sound like.  But hey,  this is such a tired discussion and I think it's above us to even argue it anymore.
Sorry I'm late. I was out spoiling my liver.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #37 on: 26 Jun 2005, 10:15 »

Punk is The Anti-Nowhere League, The Rotters, The Damned, Cock Sparrer, Iron Lung, The Sex Pistols etc. etc.

Peasants.

Sydney

« Reply #38 on: 26 Jun 2005, 10:44 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Punk is The Anti-Nowhere League, The Rotters, The Damned, Cock Sparrer, Iron Lung, The Sex Pistols etc. etc.

Peasants.

Peasants? Aristocracy are you? Lord STFU maybe? Or his royal WTFareyoutalkingaboutness.

Also, the Sex Pistols ARE pure punk. But. Thats all they are. The actual music is shit, in case you hadn't noticed.

trolley

« Reply #39 on: 26 Jun 2005, 11:00 »

NEENAW NEENAW, HERE COMES THE OVER REACTION BRIGADE.

Also, if your statement about those bands being pure punk, and also shit, is the biggest bunch of hooey I've every heard. If you don't like those bands, then you don't like punk full stop.

saturnine1979

« Reply #40 on: 26 Jun 2005, 11:10 »

It's Me First And The Gimme Gimmes

I don't know why that took so long to figure out. If you haven't heard of them (just in case), they do punk style covers of classic songs. The cover does sound a bit like Green Day, so I can see how some asshat on Kazzaa labeled it as such.

I'm not getting into a debate about Green Day. That's just silly.

Husker B.

« Reply #41 on: 26 Jun 2005, 16:10 »

Peasants.

Y'know what's funny...The Sex Pistols get all this massive punk "cred" when they were really the Punk version of The Monkees...A clothing Botique owner named Malcom McClaren put an ad out to hire a put together band to sell clothing and records, realizing that the punk wave in NY would spread...

That's damn near the same origin as the Back Street Boys and New Kids on The Block...

For Further Reading:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/encyclopaedia/s/S65.HTM

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #42 on: 26 Jun 2005, 16:18 »

To quote the ANL: So fuckin' wot?

The Sex Pistols have got more people into punk music than I can care to think (they got me into punk music a few years back, them and Stiff Little Fingers) and they've had more of an impact on society than twenty Earth Crises. Also, if I can qoute my dad:

"And of course, I like the Sex Pistols because, well, they're the fucking Sex Pistols"

Also, why does no-one ever mention John Otway? He was pretty punk in many ways, and he also fucking ruled.

Plastique Bertrand too. Heard them on an advert recently, which was odd.

Robbo

« Reply #43 on: 26 Jun 2005, 16:31 »

And so this thread turns into the "Punker Than Thou" lot, who can actually be funny and have sometihng to say. And complaining "Anti-Elitist" that think being like that makes them clever.

So...let's have some more cake-mix people.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #44 on: 26 Jun 2005, 17:16 »

Saturnine1979: Wow, that seems so obvious now that I think about it. I can't believe MFGG slipped my mind.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #45 on: 26 Jun 2005, 18:29 »

Plastique Bertrand too. Heard them on an advert recently, which was odd.

Wasn't he the Belgian Eurovision entry? Ca Plan Pour Moi is a great little pop song though. Good old Bertrand hasn't been forgotten.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Not An Addict

« Reply #46 on: 27 Jun 2005, 09:31 »

Hey, Blondie were punk, too. And they invented rap.

Mnementh

« Reply #47 on: 27 Jun 2005, 10:47 »

Locking this because it's retardedly elitist.  Your taste in music doesn't make you a better person, give you a longer dick, or make you any smarter than the next guy.

However, it does seem to contribute to making some of you unsufferable assholes.  Grow up, it's okay to not like someone, but "because they're shit" is not valid reasoning.  Also putting people down who like bands you don't like is really mature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up