THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 05:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tablet stylus = numb?  (Read 7483 times)

mosfet

Tablet stylus = numb?
« on: 26 Jun 2005, 04:09 »

Does anyone else here have a problem with using Tablets makes their fingers go numb?

I can write all day using a pen or pencil, but using my Wacom stylus for an hour makes my fingers and thumb go numb.

It doesn't seem like I grip it any harder or differently than a than normal pen, although theres less arm movement of the arm involved with the stylus since my tablet is only a 4x5 as opposed to an 8.5x11 paper.

ElRodente

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • unf unf unf
    • doodleblog
Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2005, 05:10 »

if that's the case, it'd probably be best for you to do most of the actualy sketching on paper, then scan it and ink it, you don't want RSI now do you?
Oh no, he was fine... and now he's poorly from too much electric

mosfet

Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2005, 06:15 »

Actually I sketch with pencil on paper.  Scan. print.  Ink with a pen. scan. then to the rest in Photoshop.  For some reason I draw like a 2 year old on the tablet. :P

I think I already have RSI in my hand and my brain from working as a Software QA Tester.

I wonder if its the fact that when using the tablet the only part of my arm that moves are the three fingers holding the stylus.  the other 2 fingers, hand, wrist, forearm, etc, stay fairly rigid.  Maybe a larger tablet would help.  It'd force me to move my hand more.

twentyfour

Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jun 2005, 10:17 »

I have a little 4 by 5(or whatwever is the smallest) It works great for me because it means less drawing mileage per day :D

I highly suggest just loosening up in general. If all that's moving is your fingers you're gonna get stiff drawings/cleanup to start with. Draw from your shoulder(sounds odd eh?), practice drawing on a large pad of paper(like 1.5 feet wide by 3 feet long) and really use your whole arm. You should even be moving at the waist. Keep the drawing loose and easy and try to use that same looseness in your arm and wrist and fingers as you do in a big pad of paper... Its a tough concept to really get. It took me a year or two to do it right and get nice clean unfeathered lines .

A bigger tablet is just gonna cost you money when the problem sounds like it's in how you draw. Save $794 and spend $6 on a few lifedrawing pads.

Tweep

Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jun 2005, 12:28 »

Scott McCloud had a lot to say about hand strain when discussing his recent Cintiq purchase.

mosfet

Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jun 2005, 12:59 »

Interesting read.  It definately follows twentyfour's advice of draw big, although with that benefit a Cintiq gives.  Too bad I can't afford a Cintiq, let alone a bigger tablet. :(

Currently saving up for a new scanner since mine is PC only, and it looks like a new phone since thats decided to start shutting off and turning back on at random moments (even if untouched). :(

At the very least, I've definately gotta try loosening up.  All the real line work is done first with pencil, then later with pen.  Mostly all I do with the tablet is touch up and fix line errors, fill, shade, and assemble so its not like I should be really tense.

torg

Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jun 2005, 13:29 »

hm i dont have that problem. but berhaps you should try resting your hand in a different way, perhaps you're shutting some nerves...

Sideways

Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2005, 10:51 »

I have the EXACT SAME problem!

Do you have the tablet with the ridiculously small drawing surface (like mine)?

Because I think that's why.

You're drawing out an 1800 x 1200 image (most of my comics are this size when I'm working on them) on a 5x4" surface...

I'd really like to get a better tablet, and soon.

mosfet

Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2005, 11:30 »

I think mine are around 5500x6900.  Its probably overkill :P
I'm using the 5x4 Graphire which I think is kind of small for the 1600x1200 19" monitor I use.

Sideways

Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2005, 12:19 »

Yeah, you have the same tablet as I, only you draw in an even more insane resolution!

But then again, I only run 1024x768, on a 17" monitor (it's an old LCD that won't support a resolution any higher than that)... so it's a nuissance to draw in a resolution any higher than what I already use.

twentyfour

Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2005, 14:06 »

Quote from: mosfet
I'm using the 5x4 Graphire which I think is kind of small for the 1600x1200 19" monitor I use.

I was using the same resolution and tablet last year at work. I didn;t have any troubles with it. I'd really hate to see you buying a bigger tablet if the problem really might be in how you draw on it.... but if you go bigger let us know how it turns out. Maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot by not going bigger

mosfet

Tablet stylus = numb?
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2005, 15:29 »

I'm thinking its a two-fold thing here.

1. The loosening up is definately a good idea.

2. I'm thinking the resolution on a 5x4 tablet is probably not the best for a 1600x1200 monitor.  I think for mine, 1 inch on the tablet is 3 inches on the screen.

Since funds are super low for me, and since I have to buy a new phone, then a new scanner, I think I'm going with the loosening up path.  Later on will be the tablet upgrade. Probably 2006, and probably nothing too big.  I think for me, the comfort stylus might help a little.  It seems to at least with regular pens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up