THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 22:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deciphering Lyrics  (Read 5205 times)

Awkward Silence

Deciphering Lyrics
« on: 28 Jun 2005, 08:34 »

Does anyone else here get insanely frustrated when you have no clue what some band is singing? For reasons even unbeknownst to be, I have brought it upon myself to figure out every line in Architecture in Helsinki's In Case We Die. Do you know how hard this is? So many of the words are shouted in unison, it all blends together. It took me ten minutes to get this verse:
Folks give up/
Under the quivers of lines/
But don’t abandon/
Get a handle of yourself son/
(repeat 8x)

And even that's not right! The voices just constantly shift and go into a falsetto where it just sounds like "Frenchy I'm faking, But my money's aaaaahhhhh". I will be driven insane by this task.

heretic

Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2005, 10:56 »

maybe, but at least you'll have the song figured out... mmm insanity sauce

kikanjuuneko

Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2005, 11:00 »

I anxiously await the day you try deciphering your first death metal song.

heretic

Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2005, 11:01 »

oh fuck that, just lok em up online or pick a new song

kikanjuuneko

Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2005, 11:33 »

I can't actually think of any valid reason not to include lyrics with an album. Seriously, are these people ashamed of what they've written or something?

Praeserpium Machinarum

Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2005, 11:41 »

Many should be(you know who you are, random indie stars)

MilkmanDan

Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2005, 13:02 »

Quote from: kikanjuuneko
I can't actually think of any valid reason not to include lyrics with an album. Seriously, are these people ashamed of what they've written or something?

Then you can release a special limited edition CD that comes with a booklet with all your lyrics ever in, and make extra mad monies. *COUGHAESOPROCKCOUGH*

kikanjuuneko

Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2005, 13:28 »

Didn't all of Aesop's previous releases have the lyrics in them, though? Maybe it's just my memory failing me.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2005, 16:12 »

The best band in that sense is Children of Bodom, who include the lyrics to only a random selection of the songs, which is far more annoying than no lyrics at all.

Metal-archives and Dark Lyrics handle most of my needs, though I spent some time working out some Gandalf and really early Bloodbath songs exactly. It's not that hard.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Signum_Tenebrae

Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2005, 17:00 »

Khar have you heard Judas Iscariot's "Heaven In Flames" ?

Been trying to decipher some of the lyrics from that album for a while..

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2005, 17:21 »

There's one band or artist - I've got the C.D. in my collection somewhere, but I can't remember now what it is - which released an album with the lyrics in the notes, and the request to the listener to please not read the lyrics while listening to the album.

As a flip-side to the re-release featuring lyrics, the 2-C.D. re-release of Violent Femmes butchered the page from the original liner that included the lyrics, so that it's enlarged and looks all nice and arty but the enlargement cuts out half the lyrics.  Very annoying.

A.I.H.'s first album included the lyrics, I don't know why In Case We Die doesn't.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2005, 18:42 »

I will be the first to mention Louie, Louie. The freaking FBI found it to be "indecipherable at all speeds".

I'm generally bad with the whole lyrics thing, I mean for christ sakes, it took me about a week to make heads or tails of Jack Johnson's In Between Dreams. (The CD, there is no song by that name)

EDIT: Damnit, it had one too many Gs in the word thing.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2005, 05:13 »

Quote from: Signum_Tenebrae

Been trying to decipher some of the lyrics from that album for a while..

Oddly, I don't seem to care as often with BM...just soak up the atmosphere and all that. I'll have a see if I can help you in any way though. Whatcha got so far?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

MilkmanDan

Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2005, 06:36 »

Quote from: kikanjuuneko
Didn't all of Aesop's previous releases have the lyrics in them, though? Maybe it's just my memory failing me.

I'm not sure about Bazooka Tooth, but Labour Days, Float and Music for Earthworms sure didn't.

Spencer

Deciphering Lyrics
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2005, 08:07 »

It took me many years to do it, but I eventually figured out all the words to Op Ivy's "Unity" album. True Story: at least 3/4th of the record reallu *is* unintelligable mumbling!
Pages: [1]   Go Up