THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AMD sues intel woot!  (Read 8157 times)

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier

torg

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2005, 01:42 »

and thats "woot" because ... ?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2005, 05:02 »

Cause everyone loves a lawsuit!

twentyfour

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2005, 05:27 »

"my processor's manufacturer can beat up your processors manufacturer"

"nuh uh!"

Sydney

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2005, 12:52 »

its teh funny. Plus i hate intel with avengence* because i am an underdog fanboy so there :p

*some word like that anywhos.

I can't seem to make smilies anymore :O

ASturge

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2005, 12:58 »

It's two seperate words.

A

Vengence.

er.... down with AMD ... or the other guys.

Samari

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2005, 13:20 »

well if AMD wins then people who buy pre-built systems will have a choice of what processor to get, which will equal savings for them and access to chips that have a much better value as AMD chips are superior to intel chips right now and are priced cheaper for similar performance.

If you actually read the complaint intel sounds like they're worse than MS as far as abusing monopoly goes

crazybritishsteve

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jun 2005, 00:43 »

Yeah, but they lack evidence. I'm sure intel are total bullies, but at the moment it's just AMD saying things like 'yeah, then he stole my tricicle, ate my ice cream and made me give him my lunch money'

Sydney

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #8 on: 30 Jun 2005, 07:03 »

Still, AMD are great. Down with intel.

The pre-built thingy is a bitch.

JP

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jul 2005, 10:58 »

I didn't click the link in the first post because I've read some other stories on this already, so forgive my laziness if I'm about to repeat something that's in the linked news item.

Anyway, in one of the articles I have read, it says that Intel already faced a similar suit in Japan and lost, so assuming they use similar business practices in Japan and the US, they'll probably lose this one, too.

And if they lose, it means lower prices because major retailers will be fitting some comps with cheaper AMD chips, and it will probably pressure Intel to lower their prices to companies like Dell and HP as well, because who will buy a more expensive Intel-based computer when you can get a cheaper AMD-based one that also performs better?

Samari

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #10 on: 02 Jul 2005, 14:19 »

they have testimony from about 30 different companies about Intel's practices and have already proven their case in Japan.  It's not exactly an industry secret that Intel strong arms its customers and if you read the actual court filing it's definitely been gone over thoroughly.  This is obviously a suit that AMD has been wanting to file for a while but now all the pieces are in place.

Addius

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jul 2005, 16:08 »

AMD will lose badly just as atleast 15 previous cases that I know of for exactly the same reason.

AMD lost the deal with Dell and the stuff with Apple is obvious but I still claim that AMD's only way to gain anything within the OEM market is to crush Intel in the computer enthusiast market and increase production capacity (alternatively improve yield levels). They are close but not close enough.

adarkA

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #12 on: 05 Jul 2005, 02:08 »

Quote from: Sydney

YESH! DOWN WITH INTEL WOO GO AMD

I got a AMD ATHLON64 3400 and im proud to say its far better than intels! Ha!
AMD clock speeds are far lower than then intels yet they have the same processing power! Surely AMD should be better!! Grr haha intel r afraid of competition! I hate them anyway, all the intels i used either blew up Or were just damn to slow!
My 1.3GhzDuron i once had Was a lot faster than thier 2.7Ghz Celeron!
 I know the celeron is the lower grade Pentium but so is the duton for the Athon so :-P

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jul 2005, 04:09 »

yeah AMD is faster because of shorter pipelines or something like that, intel uses beefier power to send the info through longer pipelines. thats just my basic understanding, correct me if im wrong.

anyway AMD is way better than intel in all respects, i was watching something on TV about how if the market was just between intel and AMD it would be something like 80% of the sales going to intel and 20% going to AMD. and thats just wierd, blame it on the ignorant consumer

JP

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jul 2005, 08:44 »

Or blame it that it's nearly impossible to get an AMD system from major retailers like Dell. Most people don't build their own computers and aren't given a choice of which brand processor they want.

I think AMD has mostly superior procs to Intel, particularly compared to the P4, but to say that AMD is superior in all respects to Intel isn't really true. Intel does produce some very good products - the Pentium M comes immediately to mind.

The Pentium 840EE (the new dual-core) also outperform's AMD's Athlon 64 X2 4800+ when actually running multiple proc intensive application, but underperforms on single application benchmarks.

As for the pipelines, the Athlon 64 gets part of its advantages from having an on-die memory controller, eliminating the need for the processor to communicate with the northbridge to get information from the RAM. Another problem is the simple fact that the P4 processor just does less work per clock-cycle than previous versions, like the P3 and M. The philosophy Intel had behind the P4 was to allow for clock speeds of up to 10GHz, but they've topped out at 4GHz, ruining the plan to make up for decreased efficiency with extremely high clock speeds.

zekterellium

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jul 2005, 09:43 »

god i hope amd wins.

Shinigami-Sama

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jul 2005, 12:28 »

Quote from: adarkA
Quote from: Sydney

YESH! DOWN WITH INTEL WOO GO AMD

I got a AMD ATHLON64 3400 and im proud to say its far better than intels! Ha!
AMD clock speeds are far lower than then intels yet they have the same processing power! Surely AMD should be better!! Grr haha intel r afraid of competition! I hate them anyway, all the intels i used either blew up Or were just damn to slow!
My 1.3GhzDuron i once had Was a lot faster than thier 2.7Ghz Celeron!
 I know the celeron is the lower grade Pentium but so is the duton for the Athon so :-P

far slower?
not realy dude, and this is jsut for publicity
AMD luanch hte x2 earlier ^.^
dual core, and they're far supiory that intel's "sticktwocoresonastandarddie" dual core, making the cores have to comunicate VIA the FSB

I love amd, but I couldn't afford the amd64 I wanted, and even then, I got screwed with this PC, but over all, AMD will "lose" but teh courts will tell intell ot back off, they have enough proof for a small slap, enough to make people aware atleast

Samari

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jul 2005, 14:04 »

Intel has already been found guilty of violating anti-trust laws in Japan and AMD did a lot of the leg work on that case.  Japan is one of the 3 big players in the world when it comes to matters of ant-trust laws (the other 2 being the US and EU).  If AMD has all the evidence they say they do about preditory pricing, retaliation against vendors, forcing vendors into exclusive agreements then Intel is going to have a very tough time shaking these claims

JP

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jul 2005, 16:38 »

Shinigami-Sana: I don't know what benchmarks you've been reading, but the Pentium Extreme Edition outperforms the AMD X2 when actually running multiple processor-intensive applications. When running programs that utilize only one core, the X2 performs better, for all of the same reasons the 64 outperforms the P4. Presumably if you're going to buy a dual-core chip, dual-core performance is what should matter most, and Intel's dual core solution, at least right now, is superior, talking points about architecture notwithstanding.

Shinigami-Sama

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #19 on: 05 Jul 2005, 22:23 »

Quote from: JP
Shinigami-Sana: I don't know what benchmarks you've been reading, but the Pentium Extreme Edition outperforms the AMD X2 when actually running multiple processor-intensive applications. When running programs that utilize only one core, the X2 performs better, for all of the same reasons the 64 outperforms the P4. Presumably if you're going to buy a dual-core chip, dual-core performance is what should matter most, and Intel's dual core solution, at least right now, is superior, talking points about architecture notwithstanding.

I"ll seee your unproven remark and raise you proof that the x2 is better
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397&p=4
also how much faster the dual core amkes video encoding on the SMP-optimized AVC codec
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=94226

the first link shows the workings of the P-E and hte X2
if you have an read/easoning skill you'll note that even intel thinks their "solution" sucks, the only reason intel is "better" is because of the higher core frequancy, although that means more power and heat, wher as AMD has the better chip desing, less power usage and therfore less heat, and it;s easly and safly overclockable to comparative clock speeds

JP

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jul 2005, 02:21 »

Quote from: Shinigami-Sama

I"ll seee your unproven remark and raise you proof that the x2 is better
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2397&p=4
also how much faster the dual core amkes video encoding on the SMP-optimized AVC codec
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=94226

the first link shows the workings of the P-E and hte X2
if you have an read/easoning skill you'll note that even intel thinks their "solution" sucks, the only reason intel is "better" is because of the higher core frequancy, although that means more power and heat, wher as AMD has the better chip desing, less power usage and therfore less heat, and it;s easly and safly overclockable to comparative clock speeds

A quote from your first link: "If you tend to multitask a lot or run a lot of multithreaded applications, then a slower Intel dual core is what you need."

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/index.html#overall_performance">Tom's Hardware has an extensive Athlon 64 X2 4800+ v. Pentium 840 EE article, in which they conclude, "When multiple applications are running, the clear conclusion is that the Intel Pentium 840 Extreme Edition is superior to the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+."

And as a side note, there's no reason to be childish about a debate over computers processors by implying that people who disagree with you don't have "an read/easoning skill." This is my last post in this topic because it's not worth discussing something as tirvial as CPU designs if it's going to turn into a discussion about my ability to read.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jul 2005, 02:58 »

well, i dont really have the cash to fork out for a 4800 in the first place, i have a 3200, and thats good enough for me. plus i read somewhere that all the benchmarks that have been recorded for both dual core processors are rather varied on their conclusions so i really dont care to trust anyone on their say, i personally would just go with AMD because its more geared towards gaming.

Shinigami-Sama

AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #22 on: 06 Jul 2005, 11:49 »

Quote from: JP

A quote from your first link: "If you tend to multitask a lot or run a lot of multithreaded applications, then a slower Intel dual core is what you need."

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050603/index.html#overall_performance">Tom's Hardware has an extensive Athlon 64 X2 4800+ v. Pentium 840 EE article, in which they conclude, "When multiple applications are running, the clear conclusion is that the Intel Pentium 840 Extreme Edition is superior to the AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+."

And as a side note, there's no reason to be childish about a debate over computers processors by implying that people who disagree with you don't have "an read/easoning skill." This is my last post in this topic because it's not worth discussing something as tirvial as CPU designs if it's going to turn into a discussion about my ability to read.

hmm they added on to it since I read it then :\
sorry about that I jsut think intel is the devil, well tied with M$

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #23 on: 06 Jul 2005, 17:34 »

I run an AMD athlon 64 3000+ which was budget at under 90 quid, they are better than intel for gaming but have a shorter lifespan, but they are good and have a 64bit range now, so you can use opensource 64 bit os, or windows beta(which i can say is crap) and for 2Ghz its ace for gaming. I like AMD and am happy that they will maybe get some more custom, not just the fanboys that pettily argue. I dont care, mine works. If you buy a pre built, IMO you deserve to be ripped off with a pentium celeron dell P.O.S.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
AMD sues intel woot!
« Reply #24 on: 06 Jul 2005, 17:40 »

this thread turned into an intel vs amd debate?

OMG!

if intel as a company are fuckers then it has absolutely nothing to do with the technology in their cpus.  comparing benchmarks because someone says they are doing shady things from a business perspective is completely useless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up