THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Points and DPI  (Read 2352 times)

Jaded Goth Girl

Points and DPI
« on: 02 Jul 2005, 04:50 »

I was looking at Jeph's tutorial-thing and I was wondering just how big the comics start out as.  So I went into Photoshop and hit new and then realized...I have absolutely no clue about points and DPI.

Of course, this is probably my photoshop n00bage speaking out...but, help please? *puppeh eyes*

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Points and DPI
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jul 2005, 06:10 »

"Points" as used by Photoshop basically refers to pixels.  That is, points==pixels.

DPI stands for "dots per inch."  This matters for printing, but doesn't make any difference to the image data and thus it doesn't make any difference to the image as displayed on a computer.  Also, dpi can be changed later without affecting the image (although you have to be a little careful with Photoshop, because it will try to alter the image; you have to manually tell it not to.)

From glancing at the tutorial, he draws big.  For example, the top image is at 25% (I would guess it's really around 3000 pixels wide,) and that's just one panel of the comic.  This makes sense; the rule of thumb when doing art, on a computer or otherwise, is work big.  It is easier to work in detail that way.  Also, with a computer image it's trivial to shrink down later, whereas going bigger means killing the resolution.

Ultimately, the vocabulary surrounding image dimensions and resolution are pretty muddy.  For example, the difference between screen and print resolution, or the relationship between image size and pixel dimensions, can be weird.  I've spent entire class sessions explaining this stuff to people who were confused.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Points and DPI
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jul 2005, 17:59 »

Each one of my panels starts out as a 5000x2812 300dpi photoshop document.

300dpi is basically the standard for print-quality digital artwork. I make big panels because I like drawing big and it gives me more room to bend and stretch things in PS without sacrificing image quality.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up