THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 18:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Spawn is the epitome of everything that is wrong with comics.

Agree.
- 6 (46.2%)
Disagree.
- 3 (23.1%)
Why can't we all just get along?
- 4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: 30 Jun 2005, 05:26

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: opinions on Spawn  (Read 3815 times)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
opinions on Spawn
« on: 30 Jun 2005, 05:26 »

I want to hear what other people think of Spawn.  Perhaps you agree that Spawn sucks, or perhaps you are an idiot.

ADDITION: Er, perhaps this is in the wrong section of the forum.

Aphi

opinions on Spawn
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2005, 05:30 »

^^ Cool. I started a whole discussion.

NOTE: That was sarcasm back there when I said Spawn. Or something very close to sarcasm.

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
opinions on Spawn
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2005, 06:00 »

well, Spawn is pretty damn bad, but I can think of a few things that perhaps epitomize wrongness in comics more. For starts, anything involving Rob Liefeld or Brian Pullido. Just about everything on Top Cow is total crap too, but kids are still eating it up. Marvel has been pulling some pretty lame shit lately too, but I blame that on their editorial and marketing departments, as opposed to creators.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
opinions on Spawn
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2005, 08:46 »

Spawn is no match for Dr. Raven Darktalon Blood.

deborah

opinions on Spawn
« Reply #4 on: 30 Jun 2005, 08:50 »

i haven't read spawn since probably the first 30 issues or somesuch.
i thought it was okay back then, and i liked the cerebus crossover, which could actually be tainting my mind on the issue, because if there's one comic/graphic novel/what-have-you i like out in the world, it's cerebus.
also, eddie campbell is pretty damn cool with his bacchus stuff.
none of which is here or there.
*shrug* what's so bad about spawn, and why can't we all get along?

Donut

opinions on Spawn
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jun 2005, 19:49 »

I've never fully read the series.  Back when it started I wasn't really into comics, and recently I've only thumbed through some of it.  To me it looks pretty interesting.  And I thought the animated series rocked.  

I'm just curious, what are some of your guys' reasons for why it's so bad?  I know a lot of people hate Todd (Ed: argh!  I hate myself) McFarlane because they hate his overly extravegant "goth" styling.  That and the emo-ish nature of the Spawn himself seems to be the basis of most of the criticism I've seen so far for the series.  But then again, I haven't tried to find any literary/artistic criticism for it.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
opinions on Spawn
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jun 2005, 20:59 »

It's superficially "edgy" and "dark" and shit, but frankly, it seems way too contrived for my tastes.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
opinions on Spawn
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jul 2005, 05:33 »

Quote from: Donut
I've never fully read the series.  Back when it started I wasn't really into comics, and recently I've only thumbed through some of it.  To me it looks pretty interesting.  And I thought the animated series rocked.  

I'm just curious, what are some of your guys' reasons for why it's so bad?  I know a lot of people hate Seth McFarlane because they hate his overly extravegant "goth" styling.  That and the emo-ish nature of the Spawn himself seems to be the basis of most of the criticism I've seen so far for the series.  But then again, I haven't tried to find any literary/artistic criticism for it.

Seth Macfarlane does Family Guy. Todd MacFarland does Spawn.

Todd is a joke now. He used to be a great artista and a decent writer, but now he'd rather devote all his attention to the business end of his toy manufacturing empire, and yet he still insists on crapping out a couple issues of spawn every year. He didn't even do any of the art himself for years, until Greg Capullo quit.

Now about why Spawn sucks. It started out OK, but rapidly went downhill. It was over angsty, though it had some moments of humor. It was also all over the place for a while, with no descernible storyline, then it started to build up to this huge feverpitch, with a terrible anti-climax, and since then it has just been this slow, dragging nothing of a storyline.

Basically, it's all flash, and no substance.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

Donut

opinions on Spawn
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jul 2005, 15:33 »

Quote from: My Aim Is True
Seth Macfarlane does Family Guy. Todd MacFarland does Spawn.

D'oh!!!

Thank you for pointing out my typo.  I actually do know the difference, (I'm a big fan of Seth's work,) I just wasn't paying attention when I typed out.  :(

Todd is a joke now. He used to be a great artista and a decent writer, but now he'd rather devote all his attention to the business end of his toy manufacturing empire, and yet he still insists on crapping out a couple issues of spawn every year. He didn't even do any of the art himself for years, until Greg Capullo quit.

Now about why Spawn sucks. It started out OK, but rapidly went downhill. It was over angsty, though it had some moments of humor. It was also all over the place for a while, with no descernible storyline, then it started to build up to this huge feverpitch, with a terrible anti-climax, and since then it has just been this slow, dragging nothing of a storyline.

Basically, it's all flash, and no substance.

I see, thanks.  It's nice to see some people flesh out their reasoning, rather than subscribing to the simple "spAwn suxx0rs!!1" attitude I've come across, simply because it's not their cup of tea.

I didn't know, and am now a bit disappointed, that he didn't do the art of his flagship series, if for a time.

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
opinions on Spawn
« Reply #9 on: 07 Jul 2005, 03:00 »

is spawn everything that's wrong with comics? no.  it's a slick looking, incredibly slowly moving(or standing still, whichever) book.  there are dozens of titles that fit into this category.  

is todd everything that's wrong with the industry?  well, the lawsuits don't help, that's for sure. he is now what he claimed to be wanting to get away from when he left 'the big two'.  in the middle of his 'empire', it's almost as if the comic is an afterthought next to the toys, videos, movie deals, etc.  the comic is slowly sliding, and no one really seems to mention it anymore other than in a 'remember when this sold millions?' or when todd does something to embarrass himself.  he's been a heck of a lot quieter in his opinions in the last few years, which could be a result of both.
Pages: [1]   Go Up