THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 05:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't believe I've ever heard an emo band.  (Read 4645 times)

TheKithless

I don't believe I've ever heard an emo band.
« on: 13 Jul 2005, 08:41 »

As funny as I find QC to be, I have to admit that most of the music jokes fly completely over my head. I've always considered myself to have a fairly eclectic taste in music; I can listen to almost anything, even some country and hip hop as long as it isn't completely obnoxious.

After reading the emo entry in Wikipedia, however, I realize I've never actually heard a single band mentioned there with the exception of The Cure and Weezer. I wasn't even aware that Weezer was emo, as I'd always considered them part of the whole 90's alt-rock wave. And The Cure... well, hell, how do you place The Cure in a genre?? Unless they were emo all along and I had no clue?

Bleh.

So now I'm gonna have to download a buncha mp3's and get an idea of what this genre of music is. Anyone have suggestions for particular songs?

heretic

« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2005, 08:42 »

fugazi. get fugazi. good.

TheKithless

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2005, 08:44 »

Quote from: Awkward Silence
*points two threads down*

I've read it. I see a LOT of bands there, no particular songs.

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #3 on: 13 Jul 2005, 15:43 »

Weezer and The Cure are NOT emo at all, but they have influenced a lot of emo bands.

Embrace- get the whole damn album, but make sure you get the remastered version. key songs I guess are "I Wish I" and "Give Me Back"

Rites Of Spring- also, get the whole album. a few key songs are "
Spring," and "All There Is"

those are the only two you need to whole album of. Now onto other songs...

Fugazi- while they are awesome, they aren't really that emo. But if you have to hear ONE song, make it "Waiting Room." Features members of both Rites Of Spring and Embrace, which is really the only reason anyone considers them emo.

Hot Water Music- 220 Years, Driving Home, Rooftops, Us & Chuck... shit man, I love HWM so much. I could probably make an entire mix of HWM. Everything they've done is good, but if you want classic examples of emo, avoid their stuff on Epitaph.

Paint It Black- Ghosts

Turning Point- (these four songs are essential) Broken, Thursday, Behind This Wall, Anxiety Asking.

that'll give you a start, although it is an admittedly pretty narrow view of the genre. However, I believe it shall lay a solid foundation. You should be able to figure out the rest from there.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

TheKithless

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2005, 15:58 »

Thanks, I'll check them out. From that list I should probably get an idea as to whether I'd enjoy the genre or not.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2005, 17:18 »

Also try 'I Am Nietzsche', 'Tigers' or 'New Jersey Versus Valhalla' by Orchid. That'll give you an idea of the harsher end of emo, which can be fairly different to the bands mentioned above.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2005, 03:16 »

Children of Bodom
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Oerdin

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2005, 05:29 »

The Cure is classic and existed before anyone ever coined the phrase EMO while Weezer was right at the cusp of the transition from Alternative to Indie and EMO.  I guess it depends upon where you draw the line.

Merkava

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2005, 09:35 »

This is if you only consider Pinkerton.

SpacemanSpiff

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2005, 14:40 »

Quote from: a pack of wolves
Also try 'I Am Nietzsche', 'Tigers' or 'New Jersey Versus Valhalla' by Orchid. That'll give you an idea of the harsher end of emo, which can be fairly different to the bands mentioned above.

Agreed, Orchid do indeed kick ass. Though if you ask me, they're somewhere on the border between emo and grindcore (though the straighter kind of grind). I'm thinking about songs such as 'Death Of A Modernist' or 'Invasion USA' here, they're less than a minute even...

Also: Drive Like Jehu. Too bad there are no Yank Crime MP3s out there (legally, I mean), because that album kicks ass so much it's unbelievable.
But in the meantime, have some other Drive Like Jehu MP3s.

My Aim Is True

• http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2005, 16:51 »

I've loved Yank Crime for a while, and my roommate recently pinked up the reissiue. I haven't heard anything off their first album, but I'm going to go check it out now. Epitonic is a pretty cool site.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?
Pages: [1]   Go Up