THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 10:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: online comics?  (Read 4411 times)

newsensationbadmedication

online comics?
« on: 07 Jul 2005, 09:10 »

So I'm debating starting a comic of my own based on my exeriences in the Army and in Iraq. What I need to know is, would people not in the military be interested in reading it? The plan is to not make ABOUT the Army or Iraq, but use them as a setting. Think It'd work?

heretic

online comics?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jul 2005, 09:12 »

sounds like an idea, but wrong forum.
i'm sure a mod will move this to the comics forum

zekterellium

online comics?
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jul 2005, 09:20 »

depends on the bias i guess. besides, i reasd tenkay commotion like a motherfucker and i hate ddr.

boeuf

online comics?
« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2005, 05:57 »

Doonsbury is sort of like that...
and it's good.

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
online comics?
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2005, 06:04 »

if it's not too.. erm.. what's the word i'm looking for..
as long as you dont have to have been in the military for any of the jokes to make sense
you should probably be good to go
good luck!
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
online comics?
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2005, 06:04 »

Have you checked out the Spiders?

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
online comics?
« Reply #6 on: 08 Jul 2005, 09:49 »

Hey, PM me a link to it once you get it going.  I'd be interested to read it.  

And even if you do inside jokes once in a while people will probably still read it if it's funny/good.
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

online comics?
« Reply #7 on: 09 Jul 2005, 09:02 »

nah i'm only using the military as a setting, believe it or not only a very few of us out here live, breath, sleep army. plus i'm gonna have a news post with every strip to explain anything that might not make sense. right now i have four main characters, "Lucky" - a photojournalist named after his perferred cigarette (lucky strikes), "Cheney" the female writer who is ALWAYS right, if you know what i mean, "Tex" - the friend of Lucky who isn't a journalist, but seems to never leave the shop, and "Ahmed" - the Iraqi ghost who once worked in the room where Lucky now sleeps. I have other characters in the works, but i can't get the site up until i get my new laptop.

i'll keep everyone posted. it's most likely gonna be ComplacancyKills dot com, or dot net.

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
online comics?
« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul 2005, 09:07 »

Quote from: newsensationbadmedication
and "Ahmed" - the Iraqi ghost who once worked in the room where Lucky now sleeps.

For a second there I thought you meant Ghost as in "stylized name for special op a la Starcraft: Ghost.  :P

i'll keep everyone posted. it's most likely gonna be ComplacancyKills dot com, or dot net.

I don't usually correct people's spelling, so I hate to be a dick here, but I figure since you're going to have to live with your URL and not be able to change it, I'd let you know that it's spelled "complacency."
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

online comics?
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jul 2005, 13:46 »

ah complaceny was indeed spelled wrong. thanks for the edit.

any one know a good place to get a url? its amazing how quickly you learn how much you don't know until you try to do something. aside from the art itself i think i'm gonna need alot of help

hope there's some help out there

Primate

online comics?
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2005, 05:18 »

Are you going to need to rent server space, too? Most host companies will do the paperwork to register your domain name for you. Most include the fee as part of the initial setup costs. There are a few businesses that specialize in just registering domain names, but I can't think of any except the one that advertises with a boxum woman with their company name across her well-stretched shirt. For some reason, I can't actually remember the name of the site.

And remember, you can check out the companies you're doing business with at the website for the Better Business Bureau

KJ

online comics?
« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2005, 16:26 »

So far, it sounds really neat. What kind of art will there be? Maybe you have something to show us?

Cave Monster

Army comic
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2005, 19:16 »

This is EXACTLY what webcomics, and comics in general, need! Just as print comics were long ago branded "Men in tights fighting" webcomics are beginning to show the mark of "Jargon heavy video gamers!" We need to get more people like you stretching the borders of genre, before we get pigeon holed too. Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up