THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 20:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggest some bands? :D Please? I need some help.  (Read 13883 times)

Mrs. Firefly

Okay, the sound guy for the theatre I work at is leaving after this show closes. Thus, I decided that I'd make him a nice mix as a going-away present. (He's a total music whore, and sings in a band.)

BUT!

Since I am more of a happy indie-pop kind of person. I'm having a bit of trouble.

Here are some of the bands he listens to: System of a Down, Finch, Story of the Year, The Alkaline Trio, Blink 182, My Chemical Romance, etc.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :D

Merkava

Suggest some bands? :D Please? I need some help.
« Reply #1 on: 08 Jul 2005, 21:43 »

The only band I would consider happy there is Blink-182, heh. :P

(Obligatory Dismemberment Plan plug, since they are my favorite band and were one of the most inventive bands in this generation, yaddah yaddah yaddah)

I'd recommend, since he likes Story of the Year (meaning he is used to screaming/yelling), Bear Vs. Shark and At the Drive-In. If you can throw in Fugazi, then that would just be icing on the cake.

reva

« Reply #2 on: 08 Jul 2005, 22:25 »

Quote from: Merkava

(Obligatory Dismemberment Plan plug, since they are my favorite band and were one of the most inventive bands in this generation, yaddah yaddah yaddah)

:D  Will you be my new friend?

and back on topic...
Umm... Gatsby's American Dream is good.  Glassjaw.  Finger Eleven, maybe (the only newer thing I've heard by them is that overplayed "One Thing" song, but anything off of the album "Greyest of Blue Skies" would be good).

grrraham

« Reply #3 on: 08 Jul 2005, 22:35 »

Brand New, Foo Fighters and Queens of the Stone Age would all fit in with the stuff you listed as his likes. Something by Death From Above 1979 would probably be good too.

movielife_girl

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #4 on: 09 Jul 2005, 00:02 »

I second the Death From Above motion...what else? There's a really good band that is currently touring with Head Automatica Bayside.  Throw in one of their songs if you can, introduce him to something new.  They are comparable to Alkaline Trio.  Iamtheavalanche would also be good aswell I would think.  There's tons more...but that's a start anyway.
Sorry I'm late. I was out spoiling my liver.

sp2

« Reply #5 on: 09 Jul 2005, 00:39 »

JAWBREAKERJAWBREAKERJAWBREAKERJAWBREAKER.

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.  But seriously.  Jawbreaker.  Anything off 24 Hour Revenge Therapy.  Boxcar, Ashtray Monument, or Condition Oakland specifically.  He will love you to pieces.  Really.  Really really.

Fugazi is pretty classic, too.

Additional bands to consider:

At the Drive In (One Arm Scissor is obvious, but most anything off of Relationship of Command is pretty good, also some of their older stuff.  Basically, choose a song that works well on the mix).
Pretty Girls Make Graves (especially their older stuff, particularly the EP.  I'm thinking specifically the song "Liquid Courage" if you can find it.)
And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead (anything off Source Tags and Codes is golden.)
BearvsShark
Death from Above 1979
Q and not U (this is sorta iffy.  Some of their stuff is very heavy with a lot of distortion and feedback, but it's also very much a refined taste.  He may not dig that sort of stuff.)
The Mars Volta (also sort of iffy, they're more progcore or whatever they call it these days but some of their stuff is definitely worth considering.  "Cut That City" off the Tremulant EP, "This Apparatus Must Be Unearthed" off Deloused or "Plague Upon Your Hissing"' if you can find it online - it was originally on a GSL compilation disc and that's all - would both fit a relatively heavy, fast mix)

Also, Green Day, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Monster Magnet, Stone Temple Pilots, and various other 90's heavy alternative acts should be considered.

You also shouldn't feel ashamed of putting on stuff that's sort of commercialized so long as it's stuff he likes.  If he likes My Chemical Romance or System or Alkaline Trio, put some of that stuff on the mix.  You don't need to indie it up too bad, remember it's a gift for him to enjoy, not a means for you to flaunt your indie cred.

Pick about 15 bands that fit into that rough general sound, and then pick songs by them all that fit a general theme.  If you know for a fact that he has a favorite song by a particular band, put that on there.  Don't repeat bands if you can help it, and try to tie the CD together with some sort of theme, whether it's musically or lyrically or a combination of the two.

Mrs. Firefly

« Reply #6 on: 09 Jul 2005, 00:49 »

Quote from: sp2
If he likes My Chemical Romance or System or Alkaline Trio, put some of that stuff on the mix.  You don't need to indie it up too bad, remember it's a gift for him to enjoy, not a means for you to flaunt your indie cred.

Don't worry XD I've been making mental notes about some of his favourite songs, and they're definately going in there. He likes to get me into different bands, and I just wanted to return the favor.

Thanks for all the help, everyone! I really, truly appreciate all of this.

Yay <3

sp2

« Reply #7 on: 09 Jul 2005, 00:53 »

Cool.

Seriously.  Jawbreaker.

Yasser

« Reply #8 on: 09 Jul 2005, 05:12 »

Saosin, Circa Survive, RUFiO, Glassjaw, Motion City Soundtrack, A, New Found Glory, Armor for Sleep, Northstar, The Academy Is, Amber Pacific, Boy Night Out, American Hi-Fi
These are all the bands that come to mind right now on top of all the ones already mentioned

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jul 2005, 05:54 »

Quote from: Merkava
I'd recommend, since he likes Story of the Year (meaning he is used to screaming/yelling), Bear Vs. Shark and At the Drive-In. If you can throw in Fugazi, then that would just be icing on the cake.

best advice of the thread, right in the first reply. I'd also toss in the Blood Brothers, the Comeback Kid song "Wake The Dead," Crime In Stereo, Converge, Hot Water Music, The Bouncing Souls, and some Elvis Costello. He might not like the Elvis Costello, but everyone should listen to him.

Quote from: Yasser
Boy Night Out

holy shit, that band is fucking awful.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

Merkava

« Reply #10 on: 09 Jul 2005, 09:11 »

Oh yeah, sneak in some Death Cab too. He might like stuff from The Photo Album, since it's the punkest they've ever gone.

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jul 2005, 09:13 »

How about Coheed and Cambria?
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

sp2

« Reply #12 on: 09 Jul 2005, 13:19 »

Quote from: lastclearchance

Dude.  No.  Just.  No.

Merkava

« Reply #13 on: 09 Jul 2005, 13:37 »

Quote from: lastclearchance

Dude.  No.  Just.  No.

The truth.

sp2

« Reply #14 on: 09 Jul 2005, 13:52 »

I'm pretty sure everyone who likes Coheed and Cambria has actually never heard them before.  They're like the bastard child of They Might Be Giants and Rush, even though they think they're The Mars Volta.

Really seriously honestly, there's no way in hell C&C belong on that mix.  No way at all.  If your friend likes Rush more than anything, okay, yeah.  But that list of stuff is as far from Coheed and Cambria as you can get.

How about the Constantines, though?  Just thought of them, as I may be seeing them in a few days.

sp2

« Reply #15 on: 09 Jul 2005, 14:11 »

Afros.  Sci-fi lyrics.  Too much falsetto.  Except Volta sound pretentious while C&C sound laughable.

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
« Reply #16 on: 09 Jul 2005, 14:35 »

I really wouldn't notice any similarities between C&C and The Mars Volta, besides the proggy thing. Falsetto vocals, what the hell, tons of bands, especially prog, do that. Oh yeah, I like Coheed.  Suck it.

Merkava

« Reply #17 on: 10 Jul 2005, 12:09 »

Oh yeah, and fucking Mock Orange. Add that shit, especially the first album, Nines & Sixes. I think you might want to ween him more on Indie rock before you give him some of their most recent album, Mind is Not Brain, which almost sounds like a completely new band.

They make me feel so elated. It's fun. Anyone who can make a badass solo with analog guitars or a banjo deserves recognition. Of course, that last bit was on their most recent album. Still, I think he'll like Nines & Sixes and The Record Play much more until he gets deep enough into Indie.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #18 on: 10 Jul 2005, 13:57 »

They're like the bastard child of They Might Be Giants and Rush

That sounds so fucking awesome.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

zekterellium

« Reply #19 on: 10 Jul 2005, 13:58 »

if he's into screamo then thrice or maybe thursday.

Aphi

« Reply #20 on: 10 Jul 2005, 14:00 »

I second the nomination for Thursday.

They are pretty much the best screamo band around, IMO.

zekterellium

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jul 2005, 14:02 »

some hurt process. specifically the song tuesday. it's awesome.

sp2

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jul 2005, 14:46 »

Quote from: Kai
They're like the bastard child of They Might Be Giants and Rush

That sounds so fucking awesome.

I don't care if you jerk off to the thought of John Flansburg humping Geddy Lee, but really honestly, that thought is more than a little disturbing to me.

C&C is like prog rock with ADD and an extra dose of computer geek.  You remember that one computer geek who would overdose on pixie sticks and run around the high school wearing his boxers on his head screaming that the little green aliens were coming to take him away to marry Princess Leia?  That's what C&C remind me of.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #23 on: 10 Jul 2005, 14:50 »

That makes whatever they're called sound bad. Because I know that kid on Pixie sticks. add in the fact that they're "Mutant hippo pickles" instead of aliens and you hit the nail on the head. Damn.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

zekterellium

« Reply #24 on: 10 Jul 2005, 14:54 »

awww, coheed and cambria are pretty fly, dude. better than volta, anyway

La Creme

« Reply #25 on: 10 Jul 2005, 15:01 »

I think the Mars Volta and Coheed & Cambria are both incredibly watered down prog. Prog is all about musicianal showmanship and virtuosity. It's about a bunch of kickass musicians getting together and showing off how awesome they are.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Yes
Liquid Tension Experiment
Dream Theatre
Gordian Knot
Spiral Architect
Symphony X
etc.

zekterellium

« Reply #26 on: 10 Jul 2005, 15:07 »

<3 dream theatre. when i'm in the right mood

sp2

« Reply #27 on: 10 Jul 2005, 15:08 »

Traditional prog is about musical masturbation.  

Mars Volta is about musical masturbation at the same time as makinig a lot of noise.  They can be likened to the autoerotic asphyxiator, who needs to tie a noose around his neck while jerking off in order to get off.  

Coheed and Cambria are about musical masturbation at the same time as being geeky.  They can be likened to the geeky computer guy who jerks off in the school library in public while looking at the newest National Geographic.

Neither are "watered down" prog.  They are just prog directed at individuals outside the traditional prog audience.  Mars Volta are prog for depressed suicidal freaks, and Coheed and Cambria are prog for pixie stick addicts.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

Oh, and.  Yes sucks.  Just clearing things up a little.

Robbo

« Reply #28 on: 10 Jul 2005, 15:19 »

Wouldn't Spastic Ink be Prog for geeks? As they're all about computers and etc. And and they do more wankt tech music stuff rather that just straight up progression.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: 10 Jul 2005, 15:20 »

I'm not sure how to best put my thoughts, feelings and opinions into words...so let me try pictures:

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #30 on: 10 Jul 2005, 15:28 »

I wish I had blood stained glasses.

And Yes rules. Thought I'd straighten that up. again.

Robbo

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jul 2005, 15:31 »

Yes rock...hell I even own the Tales from Yesterday tirbute CD...some great covers on that one. But back on topic....Khar brings the pain and all that.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #32 on: 10 Jul 2005, 15:31 »

That's mainly a glow of unending malice and misanthropic hate actually.

And that's why I made the pic.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

sp2

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jul 2005, 15:36 »

I'm pretty sure that if you were to go all Kill Bill Chainsaw on me, I probably wouldn't do the blood geyser thing.

Sorry.

I'd make a response picture, but I lack webspace to host it.  And I'm lazy.

Merkava

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jul 2005, 17:11 »

Quote from: La Creme
I think the Mars Volta and Coheed & Cambria are both incredibly watered down prog. Prog is all about musicianal showmanship and virtuosity. It's about a bunch of kickass musicians getting together and showing off how awesome they are.

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
Yes
Liquid Tension Experiment
Dream Theatre
Gordian Knot
Spiral Architect
Symphony X
etc.

My dad has raised me better than that. A good musician knows how to show restraint.

Everything Yes past their first album was pure pretentious lameness. Meaning they suck. I hate. Them. So. Much I. Hate. OMG>

Oh yeah, and Mars Volta >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Coheed and Fuckdlakfjal

Robbo

« Reply #35 on: 10 Jul 2005, 17:19 »

I dunno about that...Spiral Architect  are the only all out tech wank band on that list and there's still worse bands than them in that respect.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #36 on: 10 Jul 2005, 17:25 »

No one else appreciates basking in the awe of some awesome axe-work then?

Righto *Goes off to sit in the corner by himself listening to DragonForce*

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #37 on: 10 Jul 2005, 18:32 »

I love basking in the awe of axe work, especially when it involves beheading with an axe to the axework. RAWK

Also, Spiral Architect is a name of an awesome Sabbath song. Those stealing Norwegians. (They're Norwegian, right?)

El Opium

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jul 2005, 19:12 »

To get back on topic I would say some Kyuss might work. Green Machine and Demon Cleaner might work.

I never realized Khar liked prog that much.

nickyandthefuture

• Curry sauce
    • http://www.bigorangecrayon.com
« Reply #39 on: 10 Jul 2005, 19:50 »

Coheed and Cambria used to be a local-ish band around here.  They also used to be called Shabutie.  *snrk*

Anyway, I recommend Hum.
Blue or plain?
Sometimes orange.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #40 on: 11 Jul 2005, 00:20 »

Quote from: El Opium
I never realized Khar liked prog that much.

Prog is my first love. I have always been prepared to defend Rick Wakeman's honour with chainsaw death.

My Aim Is True

« Reply #41 on: 11 Jul 2005, 06:16 »

Quote from: zekterellium
if he's into screamo then thrice or maybe thursday.

I am banging my head against a wall right now. Maybe next week, after the emo thread is dead, I'll have to start another one about screamo.

Aphi

« Reply #42 on: 11 Jul 2005, 06:17 »

Oh dear. Is someone frustrated?

I still say Thursday own all, but that's just me.

My Aim Is True

« Reply #43 on: 11 Jul 2005, 06:22 »

Quote from: Aphi
Oh dear. Is someone frustrated?

I still say Thursday own all, but that's just me.

I actually like Thursday. But they are not a remotely a screamo band. Their first album I would actually call just straight up emo.

The closet thing to screamo that anyone here might actually like is The Blood Brothers. They aren't screamo, but real screamo bands sometimes sound a little like that.

Aphi

« Reply #44 on: 11 Jul 2005, 06:23 »

Actuallly....I've never /heard/ "Waiting". I've only got "Full Collapse", "Five Stories Falling"(included 'cause it has my fave song by them), and "War All The Time"

It /is/ a bit closer to just plain emo, isn't it?

My Aim Is True

« Reply #45 on: 11 Jul 2005, 06:53 »

Quote from: Aphi
Actuallly....I've never /heard/ "Waiting". I've only got "Full Collapse", "Five Stories Falling"(included 'cause it has my fave song by them), and "War All The Time"

It /is/ a bit closer to just plain emo, isn't it?

my point was just that I doubt anyone one this board actually knows what screamo means.

try some combatwoundedveteran

Aphi

« Reply #46 on: 11 Jul 2005, 06:56 »

Eurgh, I /tried/ to listen to that. It just gives off some horrible "Atreyu" vibe. I prefer my screaming to be /intelligible/, if you know what I mean.

There's my recommendation---NOT Atreyu unless you /like/ what sounds like people vomiting into the mic.

Robbo

« Reply #47 on: 11 Jul 2005, 07:08 »

Errrm, even at low quality, that sounds NOTHING like Atreyu at all. Especially not the vocals. Atreyu don't do the so called "vomiting into the mic" vocals.

Aphi

« Reply #48 on: 11 Jul 2005, 07:09 »

Well then, they do in the /one/ song I've heard by 'em.

=shuts up=

Robbo

« Reply #49 on: 11 Jul 2005, 07:12 »

As you've only heard one song, probably best. I wouldn't recommend them either but still, they dont sound like that. What track was it anyway? I'll laught if it's something off "The Curse"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up