THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sufjan Stevens: Illinois  (Read 6298 times)

yipjumpmusic

Sufjan Stevens: Illinois
« on: 05 Jul 2005, 21:53 »

(Illinoise on the front though spelled right on the side)  So anyone else get an actual copy before they stopped selling it?  I received mine in the mail forever ago from the label.  So in cases like this will they actually change the cover or get legal issues taken care of so that they can keep the artwork?  Either or maybe, or which is more likely?  I am told they will change it most likely.  Good, I will have to hire a security guard for it now though.  It must have been the superman on the front.  Oh also, as I have known a while now and as Jeph has said, it is indeed good music.  Very very good music but what else do we expect from Sufjan Stevens?  I love the long titles on most of them too.  So...comment on all the details I left out.  I just wanted to bring it up.

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2005, 22:45 »

Well I have one waiting for me at the store to pick up tomorrow...hopefully they didn't send it back.  The same friend that got me into Architecture in Helsinki got me into him, and I'm excited to get the record...I've been listening to Michigan a bunch tonight.
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Jarne

« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2005, 22:48 »

Thank you iTunes.
This is an awesome album. I could listen to it all night. Actually, I think I will.

Shedonwanna

« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2005, 23:14 »

I went to itunes and listened to the album samples after reading the newspost.  I am going to try to track down a copy tomorrow.  Great recommendation Jeph!

Kanno

« Reply #4 on: 05 Jul 2005, 23:52 »

I got it off a leak a couple weeks ago or so (oh noes! pirating!) and it is a great album.  

Why can't you buy it now?  I usually buy the albums I like enough, and this was one of them.  It's even better because I live in Illinois, and I actually know some of the small towns in the titles.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #5 on: 06 Jul 2005, 01:11 »

I said in the first post probably the superman pic so there are legal issues...so yeah.  

Also good luck hedonwanna, should not be able to get one though until they change the cover art.

zekterellium

« Reply #6 on: 06 Jul 2005, 05:43 »

downloaded it today. i never even heard of this guy until jeff pointed him out - good god i suck. i'll be buying this very, very shortly i'm sure.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #7 on: 06 Jul 2005, 06:05 »

Don't beat yourself up, but please check out his earlier stuff too.

So also sufjan stevens covering each state, what do you all think about that?  Even though some states will be EPs, you think he will finish before he dies cause that still be a hell of a lot of music.  He lives in each state for...6 months?  I forget, maybe that, but lives there for writing the music for the state.  I hope he can keep up the consistency of good music because that will be a lot of good music, or did he say he would do every state...maybe just that he wanted to... In an interview he admits that it is somewhat a gimmick but it's one he takes seriously.  

Also for those wondering about his name he says...

"It's Armenian. It means "comes with a sword." It's one of those charming militaristic Muslim names. I guess my purpose in life is to kill and avenge."

zekterellium

« Reply #8 on: 06 Jul 2005, 07:01 »

yeah, i'll be sure to get a couple of his cd's first chance i get =)

My Aim Is True

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.ospreyradio.com
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jul 2005, 09:35 »

that guy better get cracking if he's gonna do all fifty states.
Broken hearts are for assholes. Are you an asshole?

emyerson

« Reply #10 on: 06 Jul 2005, 10:01 »

I just downloaded some samples of Sufjan's stuff. Wow. So far I've loved every recommendation of Jeph's that I've bought.

zekterellium

« Reply #11 on: 06 Jul 2005, 11:18 »

someone reccomend me something else of his to steal, would ya?

Kanno

!
« Reply #12 on: 06 Jul 2005, 11:24 »

try "John Wayne Gacy, Jr."  It's acoustic goodness.

OR "Come On! Feel The Illinoise! - Part I: The World's Columbian Exposition - Part II: Carl Sandburg Visits Me In A Dream"  for something a little more spunky.

BUTWAITTHERESMORE:

"Chicago" is pretty swell too.  But it doesn't have a cool name, like:

"To The Workers Of The Rockford River Valley Region, I Have An Idea Concerning Your Predicament, And It Involves Shoe String, A Lavender Garland, And Twelve Strong Women"

and

"A Conjunction Of Drones Simulating The Way In Which Sufjan Stevens Has An Existential Crisis In The Great Godfrey Maze"

EDIT:  I forgot my favorite:

"They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From The Dead!! Ahhhhh!"

captainawesome

« Reply #13 on: 06 Jul 2005, 11:31 »

I got Illinois around april/may when it first got leaked, so this is nothing new.  Hoever, iTunes has two bonus tracks. Does anyone have them, and if so, are they worth paying two dollars to get?

I can already play John Wayne Gacy, Jr. on my guitar!  It's quite simple, just capo 1, and variations on Em D Bm G.

:P

zekterellium

« Reply #14 on: 06 Jul 2005, 11:32 »

those song titles are wonderful. reminds me of the locust, almost.

saturnine1979

« Reply #15 on: 06 Jul 2005, 16:11 »

I've had it for a few months now... shame on me, blah, blah, blah.

Anyway... I love it to fucking death. It's absolutely gorgeous.
I think the main thing about the album, and Sufjan's music in general, is that it's so colorful. His voice, the orchestration, the production, it all feels like the lyrics he's singing. Certain music gives me an impressionistic image of a place, or a theme, but Sufjan paints with bright, crisp, colorful strokes, picking out every detail and making it shimmer and shine.

I hoping to pick up a copy of the album before the originals are gone.
Too bad I don't get paid till Tuesday.

Merkava

« Reply #16 on: 06 Jul 2005, 22:58 »

Quote from: Kanno
I got it off a leak a couple weeks ago or so (oh noes! pirating!) and it is a great album.  

Why can't you buy it now?  I usually buy the albums I like enough, and this was one of them.  It's even better because I live in Illinois, and I actually know some of the small towns in the titles.

I was actually born in Chicago, so that's something there as well.

I'm looking forward to picking the album up. I've heard some great things.

tatuu

« Reply #17 on: 07 Jul 2005, 01:48 »

Haven't heard it yet, but if it can beat Seven Swans in greatness, then I'm sold.. Didn't care much for Michigan but SS is just pure brilliance in my ears.

Snapman

« Reply #18 on: 09 Jul 2005, 04:54 »

This album is alright, but way too excessive. It begins to meander along after a while.

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
« Reply #19 on: 09 Jul 2005, 08:05 »

Quote from: tatuu
Haven't heard it yet, but if it can beat Seven Swans in greatness, then I'm sold.. Didn't care much for Michigan but SS is just pure brilliance in my ears.

Well, I have only heard Illinois and Michigan.  But people I know who have heard all three tend to like Michigan more than Seven Swans, and Illinois about as much as Michigan.  I don't know if that's good news or bad news for you.
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Jarne

« Reply #20 on: 09 Jul 2005, 13:03 »

Sufjan Stevens is coming to Somerville! Squee!

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #21 on: 16 Jul 2005, 13:46 »

Saw them play and it was amazing.  Though not all songs were played exactly the same it was still a great show and one of my favorite local bands Bunky opened.
Pages: [1]   Go Up