THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ~How To Sell Art?  (Read 4606 times)

jibjib

~How To Sell Art?
« on: 12 Jul 2005, 15:17 »

ive been having a really hard time getting my art and comics out there. ive tried asking some galleries around town to put up my paintings (below)
but even the ones that are accepted dont seem to sell.

Also, my ive repeatedly emailed every other webcomic i can think of in attempts to link or help promote my http://www.graphiteplayground.com/comicarched.html">own comic, but not a sinlgle one has replied in any form. what am i doing wrong? do i just have no chance/talent, do all webcomics go through this, or what do you guys think the problem seems to be? i would really appreciate some advice and/or a realistic slap in the face.  :)

http://www.graphiteplayground.com/yesmen.jpg">
http://www.graphiteplayground.com/ship.jpg">
http://www.graphiteplayground.com/moon2.jpg">
http://www.graphiteplayground.com/souls.jpg">

trolley

~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2005, 16:47 »

I have no help, except that those galleries are stupid, cos those are awesome. And if i wasn't poor, I'd definately buy one. I love the boat.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2005, 18:13 »

Emailing webcomic people going "HEY CHECK OUT MY WEBCOMIC" is a pretty surefire way to guarantee no response.

You're much better off becoming part of a community and letting your work grow from there rather than constantly pitching your stuff to people.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

twentyfour

~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2005, 21:02 »

I have a list of about 12 webcomic 'bigwigs' that I've made a total ass of myself emailing and talkin to em like they were my bestest buddy in the whole wide world and we should hang out and getta coffee and talk shop and you can link my comic(sorry about that Jeph). I've received a grand total of 2 responses, 1 because Maritza's a sweetheart, and the other because John Allison is too polite for his own good.

So far the "joining a community and let your readership grow from there" approach is working great for me. I highly recommend it as you get to meet some kickass people along the way

Concerning your artwork; The paintings look great! Maybe to get into those galleries you need a bit of a name for yourself(it sucks but life works like that alot). Try getting some of your work up in coffee shops or a funky clothing store. Start small and work your way up, no shame in that! Hell, we all started with our mom's/grandma's fridge as our gallery so everythings a step up from there!

Slap in da face: It sounds like you're trying to jump from being a face in the crowd to being a big "somebody" ASAP! Maybe not entirely, but you do seem a bit hurried. Relax man! Getting an audience/following takes a lot of time. It looks to me like you've got plenty of talent(and a wicked hand for hatchwork too!), just keep pluggin away and be willing to start small and work up from there

KJ

~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jul 2005, 00:11 »

Remeber the old saying that artists never get famous until they die? That may not be true, but it gives some insight to how long some of the famous painters had to wait for their big break.
Your work is great, so don't give up! Just let it take time

jibjib

~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2005, 07:59 »

thanks, all of that makes a lot of sense...i guess begging for links doesnt work the way i assumed it did.

with that said, i really love the idea of working alongside other aspiring artists. does anyone know of some respectable communities that would be willing to take on new comics? and how does that work anyway? can you be part of several communities, or is it more of a contract to a single one?

Stifled Dreams

~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2005, 17:00 »

Ok, this is more about the galleries. Now, I am obviously not a professional artist, but my mother exhibits her art and I often go to Open Studios, galleries and other places. I have gathered (so far) that it is extremely hard to sell art. What I can suggest is that you don't go directly to galleries, because often people just browse with no intention to buy. You should try art festivals, studio openings (sometimes they accept artists who don't have a studio directly in the building) and other events. People go to those to buy, and since it is only a few days, you can actually meet the kind of people that are potential buyers.

I'm not sure how helpful this is, but if you are really determined to sell art, you might want to think about that.

tumblingwall

~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2005, 20:14 »

galleries are the hardest way to start. Sure it is a way to start, it isn't usualy the easiest. maybe try lower! obviously people on line like it!

jibjib

~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2005, 17:35 »

hmm...well ok, in addition to web communities, does anyone know any art-selling-site-...things to reccoment?

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2005, 20:14 »

I feel for you being an illustrator/artist(or that's what I like to tell msyself from time to time)for about seven years.  Even at the best of times, with good exposure and strong word of mouth, it's entirely possible to go months without selling anything.

What I've found helps is doing commissions or art trades for/with other people.  Even if it's for free at first, there is no better way than just getting stuff into the hand of others.  Once you get a foot in the door, ask them to tell any other people who might be interested.  As far as getting exposure in the first place, there are a ton of sites on the net.  Deviantart, Digital Webbing, Penciljack...take a look around in the forums and apply to anything you're interested in.  Check out the job searches and list yourself in the job offers.  Comment constantly on things that you like and build relationships with people.  Another suggestion would be to get involved with any art communities, small galleries or collectives in and about the area you live in.

It's a weird thing, I admit, but anything helps.  I applied for a design job for a CD cover about a year ago, perhaps more.  I got initial contact and thngs went cold on the job, but I stuck around and built up knowing the person who had offered it and I ended up doing work for them recently, more than was originally offered in the job spec.

As far as selling online, check out this article: http://1x.com/advisor/
very useful.

Jamoky

~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #10 on: 19 Jul 2005, 19:08 »

I'm a fan of your comic.
I think there is a problem with the 'latest' button, though.  It just takes me to the start of chapter two?

lb969

~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2005, 19:37 »

Join DeviantArt

BIG community of aspiring artists, some EXCELLENT, some so-so.

DeviantArt site

jibjib

~How To Sell Art?
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2005, 21:32 »

Quote from: Jamoky

I think there is a problem with the 'latest' button, though.  It just takes me to the start of chapter two?

yeah, i did that so that regular readers can go right to the beginning of the latest chapter, instead of getting directed to the last page of the chapter, which would both force them to click back to the beginning of said chapter, and possibly spoil surprises in the story. hope that made sense and helped a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up