THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 05:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dissuade/Convince me to get a mac.  (Read 6317 times)

trolley

Dissuade/Convince me to get a mac.
« on: 15 Jul 2005, 09:05 »

Ok, so my plan for a while has been to build myself a PC. But I'm suddenly finding my self drawn to getting an Apple Mac. I don't know why, as i don't know much about them. But i figure there are a lot of mac users here, so can someone tell me why i should/shouldn't make the switch?
My brain is still filled with the ideas of years gone by, such as mac's cost the bomb, mac's don't have all my favorite programs etc. Are these things still true?

I do web design, graphics design, torrents. The usual basically. I also want a computer that's powerful. Not mega powerful, but one where i'm not waiting around all the time when running intensive programs.

so what's the deal, holmes?

Schmung

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2005, 09:44 »

You pay a premium for 'em, but if you're into all your graphicy/webdesign gumph then a Mac will do you nicely. Just don't expect to play any games. As for your favourite programs, well, it rather depends what they are.

How much cash you got?

Addius

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2005, 10:04 »

I'd say it's all up to three factors:

* Are you willing to not being able to use windows and/or programs only written for the x86-plattform.

* Are you willing to not be able to upgrade it in the future (This is a usual problem whenever the dessired brand are changing anything significant, as in this case the cpu-plattform)

* Are you willing to take the extra cost?

Other than this a Mac should do nicely. (The two first factors are probably both non-problems after their change though)

Se7en

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2005, 10:09 »

they DO cost a bomb. They are easier than PCs to buy though. If you want a really good PC, you have to do a crapload of research, buy your components, and put it together. A home built PC thats done properly is always far more powerful than any mac in a similar price range, and you get a lot more choise, and as much quality as you are prepared to pay for.

With a mac, thats it. Its a toaster, albiet a very expensive one. You pay out your life savings, and you get a computer thats pretty, powerfull, and easy to use. But not half so good as a PC thats had some time, effort and skill put into it, not just money.

For that reason, im never buying a mac. Mac fans compare their macs with equivelent out of the box offerings from the likes of dell, and obviously they compare very well, since pre-built PCs are very crappy. What they dont do however, is compare macs with custom built PCs made with more exotic components, and lots of skill too. Even in build quality and aestetics, two areas mac fans think apple have sewn up, my own PCs beat macs.

It depends how much money you have, and how much effort you are prepared to put into getting the ideal computer.

Acclrator

Re: Dissuade/Convince me to get a mac.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2005, 13:49 »

Quote from: trolley
Ok, so my plan for a while has been to build myself a PC. But I'm suddenly finding my self drawn to getting an Apple Mac. I don't know why, as i don't know much about them. But i figure there are a lot of mac users here, so can someone tell me why i should/shouldn't make the switch?
My brain is still filled with the ideas of years gone by, such as mac's cost the bomb, mac's don't have all my favorite programs etc. Are these things still true?

I do web design, graphics design, torrents. The usual basically. I also want a computer that's powerful. Not mega powerful, but one where i'm not waiting around all the time when running intensive programs.

so what's the deal, holmes?

I plan to buy a cheaper, lower end mac solely to learn the OS and networking to better further myself as a network admin.. While we don't necessarily have lots of macs on our networks, I'd like to learn them just in case.

JJMitchell

Re: Dissuade/Convince me to get a mac.
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2005, 14:26 »

Yes they are very true.

Here is the big trade off.  For web design and graphics Macs are second to none.  I don't care what anyone says.

If you almost exclusively do just web design and graphics then get a Mac.  If you like PC games and most of the popular apps, stick with a PC.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2005, 14:36 »

+ World of Warcraft works on macs

- HL and it's mods don't.

+/- pr0n goes both ways.
also israel

Se7en

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jul 2005, 15:07 »

Also, theres the software issue. EVERYTHING is avaliable for the PC, for no cost if you know a friend with a CD burner. Getting away without spending huge amounts of money on mac software is harder, and often you are stuck with less choise, and second rate products because only a few companies take thier mac software seriously.

trolley

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2005, 15:45 »

Ok i think i'm gonna stick with a PC. Thanks guys.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2005, 15:52 »

http://users.skynet.be/fa001435/video/renduquicktimeleger.mov

This pretty cool quicktime clip about a Mac and a PC that fall in love.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Inanimate Object

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.psptown.com
« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2005, 16:00 »

Well, since I haven't seen any pros to buying a Mac, I'll list a few.

No viruses.
Easier to use.
Mac OS X never crashes.
You get all the great Apple software. The entire iLife suite is awesome.

Those are just a few perks to having a Mac.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2005, 16:05 »

Do you want to play games?

If you do, don't.

If you don't, do.

'nuff said.

Well, not quite: A Mac will, in general, give you better performance, longevity and utility at (arguably) some expenditure of adaptability, plus an almost complete loss of the ability to play any games that haven't been specifically port for a Mac release.

the other major thing to recommend Macs would be that your internet security concerns will be substantially reduced. Bill Gates and Microsoft are not popular amongst real nerds, so Windows and its related systems are choice (and larger and thus easier to hit) targets for hackers and virus programmers. OSX, for example, is, on the other hand, somewhat more secure, and also somewhat more popular, so the number of hacking and viral threats faced by a mac owner are much less than those faced by a PC owner.

Games are the major deciding factor, though - you'll find that macs, for the most part, run in the lower end of the modern performance spectrum (round about 1Ghz, in my experience, for an affordable model) but that's largely because they aren't geared for games, which are much more demanding on the hardware.

I'm a gamer, thus I use a PC. I count myself lucky to have a fairly stable rig (in that it only throws up a minor glitch once every 36 hours or so, and only two of the games I own inexplicably refuse to work on it). Gaming is my main interest and, hopefully, will shortly become the foundation of my career. If games aren't really your thing, or are just a casual interest, then take my advice and get a Mac and an XBOX 360.

that really is 'nuff said.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Se7en

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jul 2005, 16:18 »

I'm afraid that the assertion that a mac will give better performance is just plain wrong. Compared with a PC of the same price, the mac is always trailing far far behind.

The internet security "issue" is a non issue really. No matter what systems you run, everyone should be using a secure hardware firewall between themselves and the outside world, and email security is also an issue thats external to the operating system, and browser security is ensured by using firefox.

Also switchblade, im shocked that you call a box that has a problem every 36 hours "fairly stable". Even my windows boxen havn't had an unexpected crash in over 2 years.

I have however, managed to crash OSX with reliative ease.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jul 2005, 16:49 »

I define "stable" as meaning that I can boot it up and expect to leave it turned on for five hours without a major glitch showing up, which my last PC spectacularly failed to achieve on several occasions. I usually got a blue screen before the damn thing had even finished booting. One "AOL SP scheduler has comitted an illegal error" glitch per day and a half is something I'm more than happy to live with. ESPECIALLY seeing as AOL SP scheduler does not, apparently, do anything.

For the most part, it's VERY stable - I haven't seen a single blue screen crash since I got it in January. I haven't been forced to reboot by a glitch, haven't had anything more irksome happen to me than having to load up the forums again... This machine is easily the best I've ever owned, really.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Se7en

« Reply #14 on: 15 Jul 2005, 17:09 »

Ouch. Im worried if i get a minor glitch after 3 months of uptime!

With the exeption of my testbed machines which by thier very nature run pre-release, untested and overclocked hardware, and frequently beta software too, i havnt had a BSOD since 1999.

If you have anything in any related to AOL on your pc, remove it immediately, those people couldnt code their way out of a wet paper bag.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #15 on: 15 Jul 2005, 17:13 »

original poster's made his decision.  locking this before it runs into yet another Apple vs PC insultathon
Pages: [1]   Go Up