THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 31 Aug 2024, 16:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online disasters(can't think of a better way to put it yet)  (Read 8172 times)

twentyfour

I just had a little forum I was a big part in go straight to crap. The guy running the place invited a buddy of his online to take over as the techy guy. He did a great job butjust yesterday(maybe tuesday) opened up an entire new area to the forum with 'mature content only' etc etc and invited like fifteen 12-17 yr old hardcore blogger girls to join up. The forums post count has tripled in 1-2 days. Every thread I was a part of/started is now on page 2 or 3, flooded under "OMG who still listens to Hansen" polls etc.

It's like they tore down an old hangout and replaced it with a trendy coffee place where all the younger teenagers hang out

Anyone else go through a lil online disaster like this? Also, if you have a better name for it please fire it off. 'Disaster' seems a bit grand for something so little

trolley

Online disasters(can't think of a better way to put it yet)
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jul 2005, 08:31 »

Sold Out!

Sideways

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jul 2005, 09:12 »

Yeah, this place.

I joke, I joke!

I was a member of this one forum which was dedicated to the underground music scene in my city (Calgary).  It was awesome!  People would debate about anything and everything, it always remained civil, you'd meet so many interesting people (and actually meet them too, like someone would post "Hey, I'm new to the forum, but I'm at the Warehouse a fair bit, I'll be there Friday, if people want to hang out" and people WOULD hang out, and it was just great!)

Then the emo candy-kid e-tard ravers found out about it, and the whole place went to shit.  Suddenly it was every thread discussing drugs, drug culture, etc.

Last I heard it was shut down because a few people were actually trying to DEAL via the forums.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2005, 20:24 »

the forum i used to hang out at before this place fell apart when one of the main people holding everything together left under dramatic circumstances (it was actually her site. she left the forums up but stopped posting)  the others kept talking for a bit, but eventually people started leaving and things became less interesting.   she was like the lynchpin friend: the person with a diverse range of friends who perhaps wouldn't normally be friends under other circumstances.  it made our conversations pretty interesting, because we'd get a few different takes on the same thing.

we're getting the crew back together elsewhere slowly, but it's just that: a slow process.

trolley

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2005, 06:43 »

I used to post at a teenage forum. It was good except then whoever owned the name of" Teen Talk"  sold it to a tv company who made a tv show out of it. A messageboard for the tv show replaced ours and was filed with "OMG I FINT THAT IM PREGNUT IN MY MOUTH." the admin managed to pull the site from the code and we used it until the new owners found we were on their server and deleted the site. Someone set up one of them shitty suddenlaunch boards and a few people hang on there, even now.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2005, 06:07 »

Back in the good old days i used to post in the AMV.org Off Topic section and also the Way Off Topic section, lots of fun and really stupid stuff, people trading shopped pictures and being general dickheads. However, for some reason the admins shut down the OT and WOT sections, luckily i had already joined a "spin off forum" Demonseal, which was essentially the OT and WOT without the suckyness.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #6 on: 17 Jul 2005, 14:37 »

Biggest fiasco I ever witnessed was when I joined the Megatokyo forums. Half an hour in, I posted an opinion on some topic somewhere. Now, you know me: when I post an opinion, it's lengthy, and I like to think intelligent, and usually pretty well thought-out. It also happened to contradict the opinion expressed by the thread starter, and about the fifty or so members (most of them with post counts in the thousands) who had apparently just come to the thread to say "yhea me too." I was civil about it all - I just posted what I thought, played the devil's advocate a bit, and then went and looked at a different thread.

During the five minutes before I went back there, They had managed to post about fifteen variations along the lines of "STFU n00b!!1", although only one of  them was actually that curt and condensed, and, come to think of it, polite...

So, my next comment was, basically: "What, just because I only have five posts means I'm not entitled to think? Since when does being new to the forum mean I can't say what I think? Besides, I've been round various forums for YEARS, probably since before most of you had even heard of cooties..." and so on.

Looking back, I wish that I'd just told them where to shove it, and quit the forum then and there. That conversation quickly got ugly. Those guys were asses.

I think I stopped reading Megatokyo shortly after that...
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jul 2005, 14:43 »

The Megatokyo Forums in itself is probably the biggest travesty of a forum I've ever seen. It's horrible, for most of the reasons stated above.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

twentyfour

« Reply #8 on: 17 Jul 2005, 20:01 »

people like that ruin anything "social" on the internet for me. In fact, they probably kill potential buyers of MMO's(I don't play em cuz I hate bein called a noob cuz I started 2 minutes ago and don't know all the slang yet)

ebullientsoul

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2005, 08:50 »

Once upon a time, the Kill Hannah message boards used to have a cast of characters that were capable of having a reasonable discussion with a few annoying girls.

Those annoying girls sadly, kept telling every board member that they were 'older fans' than everone else, and therefore better.

Now they're the only ones on the board anymore, aside from a few older people who still like the band.

lb969

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2005, 19:48 »

The Belltower.

Twas a site devoted to Spam, and on the side we were a team for an online game (MW4Mercs)

The Belltower would always crash cause "Poe" was our admin and he married "Lenore"(a mod)

then he just stopped running it.

Twas the biggest travisty to the Light Brigade.
Of which I was a member.
Thus my name LB969
(LB used only the SMALLEST and WEAKEST mechs in the game(lights) and we Pwoned all!)

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jul 2005, 12:25 »

Ive had similar problems with the MT forums, so i just ignore them now, and just read the comic. That part is still good.

My biggest tragedy online was, actually the reason i stopped using irc. Me and some friends who used to use it because AOL is crap had our own little room. We didnt own it, but we were the only ones who really went there, so it was essentially ours. I didnt use it for awhile, came back to it after the summer, only to find it filled with giggling tweens girls who found it necessary to flood anyone who wasnt talking to their little group. I was only 13 at the time so i couldnt do much, but it was still fuggin annoying. Plus, most of those friends moved, so even though we tried finding other rooms, (all with the same result,) i lost all contact with them.

Also most forums ive been on have died. I have a very good feeling about this one though, people are much more intelligent here.
This forum FTW
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jul 2005, 15:28 »

Quote from: neomang5
Also most forums ive been on have died. I have a very good feeling about this one though, people are much more intelligent here.

Well now, uh dat's a nice thing of yous ta say! Uh-hyuck!
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR
Pages: [1]   Go Up